Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Amile Jefferson Double Double Watch (and other season and career stats)

Shelden averaged a double averaged a double double in the 04-05 season. He was the first under K, and I don't think there have been any since. Mason came close twice, averaging 9.9 rebs his senior year.

Currently Amile has 88 rebounds and 132 points over 9 games, putting him 2 rebounds short of the mark.

With 22 games remaining in the regular season, Amile needs 222 rebounds (10.1 per), and 178 points (8.1 per).

The introduction of Bolden, and hopefully soon Giles down low could be either a boon or bust for amile. While when he's on the floor, we'll be going "big" more often, meaning amile will be fighting shorter opponents for boards. On the other hand, his minutes may dip, limiting opportunities. Given coach's respect of senior leadership, hopefully he can keep it going and K can have his second ever double-doubler!

Also to watch, amile needs 171 more points to hit 1000 for his career. He should hit this easily. Perhaps more on the cusp, he needs 269 rebounds to hit 1000 for his career. Matt jones also needs 261 points for 1000.

games amile boards jones points
    24 11.2 10.9
    25 10.7 10.5
    26 10.3 10.0
    27 10.0 9.7
    28 9.6 9.3
    29 9.3 9
    30 9.0 8.7
    31 8.7 8.4
    1200. DDMF.

Thanks for compiling this. Another one to keep an eye on is Luke. After his 35 point outburst, he has exactly 600 points for his career, which depending on how many games are left, his average needed to get to 1000 ranges from 12.9 to 16.7, well within his range. Of course, we're a very long way away from this, but if we're talking about a sophomore who isn't an obvious 1st round pick scoring 1000 points, he could be on track to eventually threaten 2000.

Shelden Williams averaged a double-double in both 2005 and 2006.

Duke lists Mason Plumlee as averaging 10.0 rpg in 2013.

For the record.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Shelden Williams averaged a double-double in both 2005 and 2006.

Duke lists Mason Plumlee as averaging 10.0 rpg in 2013.

For the record.
    Per duke, he had 359 rebounds in 36 games. Even if they round the per game number when it is displayed, he still came one board short.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...?playerid=2740
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Per duke, he had 359 rebounds in 36 games. Even if they round the per game number when it is displayed, he still came one board short.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...?playerid=2740
    359 rebounds in 36 games is 9.972222, but points and rebounds are rounded to the nearest 10th -- so Mason was officially (as Jim said) at 10.0 rebounds a game in 2013.

Arguing that 9.97222 is below 10.0 is like arguing that Ted Williams DID have to play on the final day of the 1941 season. Sure, his average rounded to .400, but technically it was at .39950. The legendary story about how Ted risked his .400 average by playing in the final doubleheader is thereby deflated.

against florida, amile had 24 and 15, bringing his totals to 103 boards and 156 points over 10 games, putting him 3 boards and 56 points ahead of the mark. With 21 games remaining, amile needs 207 (9.85) boards and 154 points (7.3). To hit 1000 for his career, he needs 147 points. I'll hold off on the matt points for should he get back to a scoring ways, which given the talent on this team, is not what we need him to do. Amile needs 254 more rebounds to hit 1000 for his career. The breakdown based on games remaining:

games amile boards
    23 11
    24 10.6
    25 10.2
    26 9.8
    27 9.4
    28 9.1
    29 8.8
    30 8.5
    1200. DDMF.

My favorite moment from tonight's game was when Amile hit a tough bank shot to put Duke up by 10-12 points, then ran down the court and yelled, "let's get a f---ing stop!" The heart of a champion.

I'm going on the record with the prediction that Amile will make an opening-day NBA roster next year. Forget the fact that he's a tweener, no jump shot, etc. The guy is a flat out winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    359 rebounds in 36 games is 9.972222, but points and rebounds are rounded to the nearest 10th -- so Mason was officially (as Jim said) at 10.0 rebounds a game in 2013.

Arguing that 9.97222 is below 10.0 is like arguing that Ted Williams DID have to play on the final day of the 1941 season. Sure, his average rounded to .400, but technically it was at .39950. The legendary story about how Ted risked his .400 average by playing in the final doubleheader is thereby deflated.

Always enjoy your posts, Olympic Fan, but IMO Ted Williams DID risk his batting .400+ by playing on the final day of '41(a doubleheader). He batted 8 times that day and recorded 6 hits, but if he had batted those same 8 times and gotten 2 or fewer hits, his final season average would not have rounded up to .400. So, at least the way I interpret risk, he did put his .400 average in jeopardy("risk")but playing those two games on the final day. Of course, as you point out, IF he had not played the final day, his official average would have rounded to .400(and would have been significantly higher if not for his era's rule that SFs counted as at bats).

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    Always enjoy your posts, Olympic Fan, but IMO Ted Williams DID risk his batting .400+ by playing on the final day of '41(a doubleheader). He batted 8 times that day and recorded 6 hits, but if he had batted those same 8 times and gotten 2 or fewer hits, his final season average would not have rounded up to .400. So, at least the way I interpret risk, he did put his .400 average in jeopardy("risk")but playing those two games on the final day. Of course, as you point out, IF he had not played the final day, his official average would have rounded to .400(and would have been significantly higher if not for his era's rule that SFs counted as at bats).
    Olympic is making the same point as you. He is saying that arguing that 9.98 rebounds per game isn't 10 rebounds per game is the same thing as arguing that Williams shouldn't have been counted as being at .400 without his having played (and hit well) in the last day of that season (because .3995 is not .400). Which would make the legend of his guts to play the last day a lot less legendary. Olympic is indeed arguing - exactly as you are - that Williams WAS a .400 hitter prior to the last day, and that he most certainly DID put his feat at risk. And he's arguing that 9.98 rebounds per game would indeed be 10 rebounds per game.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Olympic is making the same point as you. He is saying that arguing that 9.98 rebounds per game isn't 10 rebounds per game is the same thing as arguing that Williams shouldn't have been counted as being at .400 without his having played (and hit well) in the last day of that season (because .3995 is not .400). Which would make the legend of his guts to play the last day a lot less legendary. Olympic is indeed arguing - exactly as you are - that Williams WAS a .400 hitter prior to the last day, and that he most certainly DID put his feat at risk. And he's arguing that 9.98 rebounds per game would indeed be 10 rebounds per game.
    I could go into a rant about significant figures and exact values....but it's not worth it as I doubt anyone will change their mind on the subject.
    1200. DDMF.

I could go into a rant about significant figures and exact values...but it's not worth it as I doubt anyone will change their mind on the subject.
    Would your rant include a discussion of how meaningless the number 10 is?

I could go into a rant about significant figures and exact values...but it's not worth it as I doubt anyone will change their mind on the subject.
    Oh, oh! I love rants! Please proceed!

- Chillin

A few years ago I found a site that frequently updated a list of how many points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks every Duke player for a long time had and they could be easily sorted to rank the players by a given category. Does anyone know of the site or something similar? It would be fun to track where current players rank, such as Amile's rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Oh, oh! I love rants! Please proceed!

- Chillin
    And I,fortunate to see Ted Williams play many times,always loved to see him play. Always a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Would your rant include a discussion of how meaningless the number 10 is?
    I had considered that as well. If a 9.95 is good enough, we should call it a double-nine-and-nineteen-twentieths. It would be just as arbitrary of a stat...but at least it would accurately represent what it claims to.

By and large, I don't care about "milestones"...since they're often small multiples of a power ten...which is only relevant in base 10 anyway.

But people care...so here we are.
    1200. DDMF.

Watching Amile these last few games I have been trying to figure out who his post offense reminds me of and it just struck me that the answer is Okafor. I wonder if a season of observing/defending Okafor allowed Amile to learn many of his post moves.

Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    Watching Amile these last few games I have been trying to figure out who his post offense reminds me of and it just struck me that the answer is Okafor. I wonder if a season of observing/defending Okafor allowed Amile to learn many of his post moves.
    no way. Okafor had a legit jumper, Amile doesn't. Okafor also had spectacular footwork to get traditional post-player shots. Amile also has great footwork, but his shooting angles are way, way different than Oak's. Amile can drive from the elbow, Oak didn't really do that. Oak was a good rebounder at Duke (not so much in the NBA), but mostly b/c of position, not b/c he was particularly quick or agile to get rebounds out of his area. Amile both gets good position but can also move laterally to get rebounds out of his area pretty well. I see very little similarity between their games, other than the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    Not a bad thought but IMHO Amile hasn't overhauled his offense he's just gotten better at it over time. He's always been crafty around the basket. He's gotten even more so over time but he's also gotten much more aggressive and is looking for his shot. I couldn't be happier with his progression but I don't think he's channeling his inner Jah, I just think he's a better player doing what he does as a 5th year senior captain.

Amile has a chance to be Duke's 67th 1,000 point scorer.

He currently has 853 points and 25-30 games to do it.

Duke Basketball All-Time Records/Stats

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    A few years ago I found a site that frequently updated a list of how many points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks every Duke player for a long time had and they could be easily sorted to rank the players by a given category. Does anyone know of the site or something similar? It would be fun to track where current players rank, such as Amile's rebounds.

Good question. The GoDuke site's Duke Basketball Database is a great source for individual player stats, boxscores of games for the past 70+ years, and team season stats, but it doesn't appear to currently have an all-time records section. Can someone please help? Thanks.