Major News on Atlanta Braves...

The Braves have a major announcement scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET.

It's expected that longtime GM John Schuerholz is stepping down and being replaced by his assistant, Frank Wren.

Link: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7322496

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    The Braves have a major announcement scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET.

It's expected that longtime GM John Schuerholz is stepping down and being replaced by his assistant, Frank Wren.

Link: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7322496

-EarlJam
    He should be replaced by Bobby Cox. After all Bobby is the one who built the team pre 1991 that got them on the position to make the 15 straight DT run.

One of the greats is leaving - very sad to see him go. He had a heck of a stretch where every move he made seemed to work out (at least most of them ...)

Personally, I think there should be a place in the hall for JS.

Rumor has it that JS is taking on the role of President now.

Schuerholz

I have a lot of respect for John Scherholtz and his role in keeping the Braves at or near the top of the NL for 14 straight seasons.

He was a master of finding and plugging in the right part to keep the organization (which, I agree, Bobby Cox had a lot to do with putting together) winning division titles.

The system began to break down 3-4 years ago when the new ownership limited his budget. What hurt wasn't so much his inability to go out and spend big money on free agents (which really wasn't his style anyway), but his ability to keep his championship-quality team together.

Do you think he wanted to watch Tom Glavine walk? Javier Lopez?

I remember when he was forced to deal Kevin Millwood ... I was disappointed that he basically got an unproven backup catcher in return. But he was forced to make the deal ... and he had the astuteness to guess than Johnny Estrada would prove to be a quality catcher.

The Braves, as they are currently constituted, as a couple of starting pitchers away from contention. They were right near the told of the NL in runs scored and their defense was solid. If they could spend to keep the team intact (I realize that as much as it hurts me, it was time for Andruw to go) and add two free agent pitchers -- a star and a solid workman, the Braves could be right back up there.

I'd trust Schuerholtz to make it work if he had the finances. But I'm not sure the new ownership will give him the budget to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    The Braves, as they are currently constituted, as a couple of starting pitchers away from contention. They were right near the told of the NL in runs scored and their defense was solid. If they could spend to keep the team intact (I realize that as much as it hurts me, it was time for Andruw to go) and add two free agent pitchers -- a star and a solid workman, the Braves could be right back up there.
    I'm not sure that the Braves need another star pitcher. Two solid innings eaters would probably do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

I'd trust Schuerholtz to make it work if he had the finances. But I'm not sure the new ownership will give him the budget to get it done.
    I could not agree more. As an Orioles fan, this very much reminds me of the early-mid-80s, when the mighty O's pitching staff of Flanagan, McGregor, Palmer, were on the way out and a young pitcher Mike Boddicker was doing his part to keep the tradition of great pitching in Baltimore alive.

To compensate for the loss of pitching, Orioles management went to free agency to load the offense. It worked to a degree. I believe the O's lead the league in slugging and home runs in 1985, but the pitching....ahhhhhhh the pitching. It just wasn't there and the O's decline continued.

You MUST focus on pitching always. It ALL comes down to pitching.

Good pitching is much more consistent than good hitting. You simply can NOT expect your team to out-slug the oppenent every night. That strategy will always fail over the long term.

I agree. If the Braves get two, or even ONE more quality starter they will be looking good in this division. So shall it is written. So shall it be done.

-EarlJam

Braves

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I'm not sure that the Braves need another star pitcher. Two solid innings eaters would probably do the trick.
    I am not quite sure what the Braves really need. If you look at the year end stats, they batted .275 which I think was tied for 2nd in the NL. Imagine what it woulda/coulda been if 'druw had hit anywhere near his career avg. Can't remember who won(Rockies?) but I believe they hit .278, so not far from the lead there. The team ERA was about 4.14 which I think was good for about 3rd best, so not far off there either. I think the best team ERA was slightly over 4.00(Mutts?). Imagine what the Braves ERA coulda been if they could have pitched Smoltz/Hudson/Smoltz/Hudson/fill in the blank(just kidding here). They had (a) woeful closer(s). I subscribe to the plan that good pitching most always negates good hitting, so I would opt for a 3rd quality starter(what is Hampton's status?), a closer and a good defensive CF who could hit .270-.280 or higher and steal a bunch of bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Agreed. We are too hung up on the 'Star" or the 'big name" which us who people want to coach Duke. The "star" or the "big name" doesn't matter outside the media pages. What matters is quality.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    You MUST focus on pitching always. It ALL comes down to pitching.
    -EarlJam
    Like i've always said...Offense sell tickets, defense wins ballgames!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I subscribe to the plan that good pitching most always negates good hitting, so I would opt for a 3rd quality starter(what is Hampton's status?), a closer and a good defensive CF who could hit .270-.280 or higher and steal a bunch of bases.
    But Bobby doesn't run...he hits HR's You need power hitters for his offense.