As If Calipari Has Room to Joke About Academics

calipari at recent press conference:

"Last week, Kentucky assistant coach Kenny Payne admitted that he had not yet read his bosses new book, "Success Is The Only Option." ... He opened up a door for Calipari, who slammed it shut with a theory why Payne had not yet read it.
    "He went to Louisville," Calipari said. "He doesn't read."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...lle-education/

How many of cool cal's one-and-dones have blown off classes completely in the second semester?

Geez Cal, sweet put down. A regular laugh machine.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

"Last week, Kentucky assistant coach Kenny Payne admitted that he had not yet read his bosses new book, "Success Is The Only Option." ... He opened up a door for Calipari, who slammed it shut with a theory why Payne had not yet read it.

How many of cool cal's one-and-dones have blown off classes completely in the second semester?
    Eh. I thought it was pretty funny.
    April 1

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention

At least they have classes to blow off.

At some schools, they're kind of... pre-blown off.

Is there any evidence they've blown of classes in the second semester? It's possible they could be but I haven't seen anything there like what Ben Simmons did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Is there any evidence they've blown of classes in the second semester? It's possible they could be but I haven't seen anything there like what Ben Simmons did last year.
    Anecdotal. I remember one instance a few years ago where it was overt. Since then, it has been tight-lipped. Only the rare occasion when the kid actually pursues academics when he is entering the draft gets publicity.

Anecdotal. I remember one instance a few years ago where it was overt. Since then, it has been tight-lipped. Only the rare occasion when the kid actually pursues academics when he is entering the draft gets publicity.
    While they were never any official announcements regarding academic eligibility, it was basically acknowledged that Daniel Orton (part of the 2010 freshman class with Cousins, Wall, and Bledsoe) blew off the second semester of classes and would have been ineligible had he returned. There were rumors about Bledsoe blowing off his classes as well, but it appears that he was OK. Since then, UK has had no reported issues of OAD's having second semester academic issues.
    Last edited by tbyers11; 11-29-2016 at 10:00 AM.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    While they were never any official announcements regarding academic eligibility, it was basically acknowledged that Daniel Orton (part of the 2010 freshman class with Cousins, Wall, and Bledsoe) blew off the second semester of classes and would have been ineligible had he returned. There were rumors about Bledsoe blowing off his classes as well, but it appears that he was OK. Since then, UK has had no reported issues of OAD's having second semester academic issues.
    I had always heard that Davis, MKG and Marquis Teague effectively dropped out after announcing for the 2012 Draft.

"He went to Louisville," Calipari said. "He doesn't read."..........
    One cannot hold Mr. Payne to task in that regard as he is a known Abecedarian.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

I seem to recall that LSU threw Pistol Pete Maravich out of school the day after his last game. Pete made LSU so money without going to classes it was funny !

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Eh. I thought it was pretty funny.
    I see zero problem with Cal's wise crack and jokes in this context in general, even if one's hands aren't 100% entirely clean. It's OK to be amused every once in a while.

Would you have been OK with it if Cal had made a joke about prostitutes and recruits? As far as I know, Cal hasn't been involved in that sort of thing. A joke on that topic probably would've been in much poorer taste than what he said here...
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K