Dukies on 2017 PGA Tour

Streels had a good week, placing fourth in the OHL Classic at Mayakoba in Playa del Carmen, Yucatan. He finished at -17, four shots behind the winner, Pat Perez.

The 2017 season began in October. After four tournaments, Kevin is now 26th in the 2017 FedEx Cup standings.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Streels had a good week, placing fourth in the OHL Classic at Mayakoba in Playa del Carmen, Yucatan. He finished at -17, four shots behind the winner, Pat Perez.

The 2017 season began in October. After four tournaments, Kevin is now 26th in the 2017 FedEx Cup standings.
    Why does the PGA tour have to start the 2017 season in October of 2016?? This drives me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Why does the PGA tour have to start the 2017 season in October of 2016?? This drives me crazy.
    It is like the corporate fiscal year. "Today is October 11th, 2016 and 3M just reported earnings for the first quarter of 2017..."

--Jason "Whaaaaat? Do they have a crystal ball?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I dunno, revenue, perhaps?

If it makes you feel any better, they call it the "wraparound" season. Yeah, I didn't think it would help, but there you go.

Streelman really had a good chance of winning this thing. Missed two fairly simple birdie putts in the last 5 holes, and ended up bogeying 18. Still a really good tournament for Streels. (By the way, he has the Duke blue devil logo on the shaft of every iron in his bag! You gotta love it!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

The problem was this post-FedEx Cup/Tour Championship part of the season was a vermiform appendix on the PGA Tour body -- it couldn't even offer FedEx Cup points because the FedEx Cup had occurred. This is designed to make it less anti-climatic. Also, it seems to be good for our man Streels, who has had good results in the fall season.

Confusing -- but a positive.

Kindly,
    Sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Let's not forget Ryan Blaum, Class of 2006, who is a rookie on a tour this year. So far four tournaments played and four cuts made. Top 30 currently in FedEx points.

Very solid start.

Reason for the wraparound season, I think

Tour school starts in October and goes into early December; it's 3 stages long and spaced out with about 3 weeks between stages/tournaments. So, once the Tour Championship is complete, in October, i.e. end of the season, they used to have what was called the "silly season" before the Tour would start up in January with the Tournament of Champions in Hawai'i. The "silly season" was a bunch of random tournaments with no real purpose, some of which were team tourneys, etc. The Tour decided to change their season as pro golf prospered, thanks to Tiger. Now these tourneys have more meaning as they're included in the entire tour season.
    I'm not thrilled by this either, but that's how it's evolved. Golf is more global than ever, now year-round.

Ryan Blaum is another Duke grad on tour this year, fyi.

Go Streels and Go Ryan!!!

Duke "4 years of Q-school is not a fun thing" taylor

Quote Originally Posted by 91devil View Post
    Let's not forget Ryan Blaum, Class of 2006, who is a rookie on a tour this year. So far four tournaments played and four cuts made. Top 30 currently in FedEx points.

Very solid start.
    Thanks - didn't realize he qualified. Guess Wes Roach will try to qualify again next year.