Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

UNC-Cheat - NCAA's response to UNC on amended Notice of Allegations

The cheaters have released a redacted copy of the NCAA's response on amended Notice of Allegations.

http://media2.newsobserver.com/stati...a-response.pdf

My quick read indicates that the Committee on Infractions staff didn't take kindly to UNC's initial response. Boxhill in particular is hammered (and I'm only half-way through it.)

ETA: They've been redacting since September 19th, when the letter was sent by the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    The cheaters have released a redacted copy of the NCAA's response on amended Notice of Allegations.

http://media2.newsobserver.com/stati...a-response.pdf

My quick read indicates that the Committee on Infractions staff didn't take kindly to UNC's initial response. Boxhill in particular is hammered (and I'm only half-way through it.)

ETA: They've been redacting since September 19th, when the letter was sent by the NCAA.
    Only a quick skim, but so far my favorite parts are:

"This access provided student-athletes with advantages that other students simply did not have." Strong statement, so much for 'all the students could take the courses'.

When they list aggravating and mitigating factors, mitigating factors are listed as "None" with only one exception. I think they have aggravated the NCAA. We can hope.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Only a quick skim, but so far my favorite parts are:

"This access provided student-athletes with advantages that other students simply did not have." Strong statement, so much for 'all the students could take the courses'.

When they list aggravating and mitigating factors, mitigating factors are listed as "None" with only one exception. I think they have aggravated the NCAA. We can hope.
    I know unc has aggravated the heck out of me.

Slam them, NCAA!!!!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    “The new information provided, for the first time, a complete picture of the athletics department’s preferential access to anomalous AFRI/AFAM courses and, in some cases, how it used those courses to retain NCAA academic eligibility for student-athletes,” the NCAA’s enforcement staff said. “This access provided student-athletes with advantages that other students simply did not have.”
    From Dan Kane's article.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...110315307.html

Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    So you're telling me there's a chance?

If you are looking for an indication that the COI is mad at UNC for their actions...the COI be mad.

stop it....

unc's lawyers are bette than the ncaa's...

don't get my hopes up...

manalishi said to stop it...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    A little hope is a dangerous thing, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    A little hope is a dangerous thing, my friend.
    Or maybe Cleveland State should be digging REALLY deep bunkers?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Well, if we're doing movie quotes...

Damn you, Dan Kane.

Just when I thought I was out, you pull me back in.

I wish I could quit you.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

nice of the NCAA to specifically include the unc Powerpoint slide which discloses that players don't have to go to class, don't have to stay awake, don't have to do anything basically.

IC is on lockdown, no mention at all.

Having read the NCAA response quickly, the emphasis seems to be that unc has lots of procedural objections (state of limitations, etc) but
    no substantive ones. Their arguments are rejected on every count.

p.s. Amy Herman, now at Duke, mentioned quite a few times. I'm sorry that we hired her, frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    nice of the NCAA to specifically include the unc Powerpoint slide which discloses that players don't have to go to class, don't have to stay awake, don't have to do anything basically.

IC is on lockdown, no mention at all.

Having read the NCAA response quickly, the emphasis seems to be that unc has lots of procedural objections (state of limitations, etc) but
    no substantive ones. Their arguments are rejected on every count.

p.s. Amy Herman, now at Duke, mentioned quite a few times. I'm sorry that we hired her, frankly.
    If only that infamous Powerpoint would've included the bball coaches instead of only being presented to the fball coaches, we'd be sitting pretty right now. It seems to me they're still providing an out for men's bball. Will the NCAA do a sweeping punishment of the athletic dept, or will they use specific evidences to target and pinpoint certain sports? We shall see.

Actually

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    If you are looking for an indication that the COI is mad at UNC for their actions...the COI be mad.
    I'm no expert on NCAA disciplinary procedure, but it looks like this document is the work of the NCAA enforcement staff, not the COI. The COI will essentially be the judge.

Imo, this merely resets things (in terms of predicting punishments) to where things stood when the ANOA was released. Nothing in that response seems to drag men's basketball back in other than their indirect inclusion as part of the disproportionate athlete enrollment.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'm no expert on NCAA disciplinary procedure, but it looks like this document is the work of the NCAA enforcement staff, not the COI. The COI will essentially be the judge.
    Isn't that equivalent to tainting the jury. Here read the W report and then decide whether it is relevant or not. My read is that unc does not want the coi to even look at the report. So is the coi really who makes the decision on Friday

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Imo, this merely resets things (in terms of predicting punishments) to where things stood when the ANOA was released. Nothing in that response seems to drag men's basketball back in other than their indirect inclusion as part of the disproportionate athlete enrollment.
    Wayne Walden's (?) name seems to appear several times, he of Roy's staff...

Wasn't there a point where unc agreed that the NCAA could accept the findings of the Wainstein report in lieu of conducting further inquiry along the same grounds?

Wasn't there a point where unc agreed that the NCAA could accept the findings of the Wainstein report in lieu of conducting further inquiry along the same grounds?
    I believe the NCAA investigators participated in the interviews for the Cadwalader (Wainstein) Report. They all agreed on the ground rules ahead of time. Now UNC is saying "no fair."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I believe the NCAA investigators participated in the interviews for the Cadwalader (Wainstein) Report. They all agreed on the ground rules ahead of time. Now UNC is saying "no fair."
    That's UNC for you: It is unfair. I agreed to the ground rules before I knew the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    That's UNC for you: It is unfair. I agreed to the ground rules before I knew the outcome.
    "I will only accept the outcome of the NCAA sanction process if I win"

-- Carol Folt