Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Other people's basketball -- 2016-17 edition

Is anyone else excited that the college basketball season starts today?!? I am. Anyway, this is the bball version of Other People's Football.

After the Duke game tonight, I'm looking forward to watching the Kansas-Indiana game. Before that, there will also be Michigan St-Arizona but it takes place during Duke-Marist. Anyway, I'll predict that the Hoosiers will upset the Jayhawks tonight despite being 6-point underdogs. I feel like Indiana's a bit underrated going into this season.

This thread should NOT replace Ultrarunner's "I'm not going to jinx it" thread, which will be used for upset alerts. I'll wait for Ultrarunner to do the honors there and create this season's edition.

I'm actually hoping for a big time Kansas win. It will add to the hype of our matchup next week and make it all the more sweeter when we beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I'm actually hoping for a big time Kansas win. It will add to the hype of our matchup next week and make it all the more sweeter when we beat them.
    I'm with you. That's what I'd like to see happen, too. I just have a gut feeling Indiana gives them quite the game and pulls the upset.

Wagner (!) over UConn. Where's Ultrarunner and the "I don't want to jinx it 2016-17" thread??
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Wagner (!) over UConn. Where's Ultrarunner and the "I don't want to jinx it 2016-17" thread??
    It's too early. There are no upset until the teams get settled, just random noise.

I could change my mind if Tulane plays tough tonight. Sometimes exceptions are warranted.

For those like me who like to keep an eye on the top teams, especially those who are our main competition for the East #1 seed (Madison Square Garden!)....

Villanova plays at Purdue tonight, 7pm ET, on the Big Ten Network.

Nova's a 2-pt favorite, and I'll be rooting hard for Purdue to hand them a loss.

Most of the other top contenders for the East #1 seed are actually in the ACC, so we'll have to take care of those cats ourselves.

Washington goes down to...

...a Mason Makai-less Yale. Fultz is this year's Ben Simmons: awesome player on a terrrrrrrrrible team. I don't understand why recruits do this. Isn't winning an important part of the game? Isn't making the tourney a necessity when choosing a school? I am really confused by the Simmonses and Fultzes of the world and will be flabbergasted if Carter chooses Harvard.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    For those like me who like to keep an eye on the top teams, especially those who are our main competition for the East #1 seed (Madison Square Garden!)...

Villanova plays at Purdue tonight, 7pm ET, on the Big Ten Network.

Nova's a 2-pt favorite, and I'll be rooting hard for Purdue to hand them a loss.

Most of the other top contenders for the East #1 seed are actually in the ACC, so we'll have to take care of those cats ourselves.
    This should be a really interesting matchup. Villanova's big question is their front line and Purdue has a really good one in Haas and Swanigan. Swanigan went for 23 and 20 in their opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    This should be a really interesting matchup. Villanova's big question is their front line and Purdue has a really good one in Haas and Swanigan. Swanigan went for 23 and 20 in their opener.
    Nova 79, Purdue 76. Best game I've seen in this young season. Nova couldn't stop Isaac Haas down the stretch but kept Purdue at bay with clutch free throw shooting. So important to have those knock-down FT shooters at the end of games. That Purdue crowd was amped.

Nova 79, Purdue 76. Best game I've seen in this young season. Nova couldn't stop Isaac Haas down the stretch but kept Purdue at bay with clutch free throw shooting. So important to have those knock-down FT shooters at the end of games. That Purdue crowd was amped.
    Hart is dangerous. You know he's going to drive and he still gets to the rim. Nova played really solid defense but they're vulnerable inside.

At halftime, UCLA up 49-45 on Kentucky at Rupp. Intriguing game so far. Kentucky's defensive ball pressure has forced UCLA into a lot of turnovers, but on possessions when they've hung onto the ball, the Bruins shot and scored really well. Aaron Holiday came off the bench to give them a big lift. On the other end, UCLA's #58-ranked defense has competed by playing a very compact man-to-man and hoping Kentucky misses their outside shots. That will probably become a familiar script to the Wildcats.

In the 2nd half, UCLA will probably need to stop turning the ball over to pull off the upset at Rupp because the Bruins probably won't shoot it as well.

At halftime, UCLA up 49-45 on Kentucky at Rupp. Intriguing game so far. Kentucky's defensive ball pressure has forced UCLA into a lot of turnovers, but on possessions when they've hung onto the ball, the Bruins shot and scored really well. Aaron Holiday came off the bench to give them a big lift. On the other end, UCLA's #58-ranked defense has competed by playing a very compact man-to-man and hoping Kentucky misses their outside shots. That will probably become a familiar script to the Wildcats.

In the 2nd half, UCLA will probably need to stop turning the ball over to pull off the upset at Rupp because the Bruins probably won't shoot it as well.
    Up 11 with 4:01 to go, the Bruins have cut down on the TOs. They've been able to respond to all of UK's runs.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Up 11 with 4:01 to go, the Bruins have cut down on the TOs. They've been able to respond to all of UK's runs.
    UCLA is now looking like the best team in the country- at least for today. Almost blew a big lead at the end but pullled off a big win in Rupp.

It's not easy to put up 97 points, much less as the road team in Rupp arena against an elite defensive unit like this UK team. Really impressed with UCLA. Leaf and Ball are studs.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    It's not easy to put up 97 points, much less as the road team in Rupp arena against an elite defensive unit like this UK team. Really impressed with UCLA. Leaf and Ball are studs.
    apparently not so elite...
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Still #5 on kenpom. UCLA might just be that good offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Still #5 on kenpom. UCLA might just be that good offensively.
    You very well might be right. Lonzo Ball is really good and helps "run" that team very well.

But at this point, I'd be more likely to think that UK's D rating is a bit inflated at this point from mostly beating up on far inferior schools that cannot match their athleticism.

Really too early to tell either way, though.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Leaf would look good in our limited lineup

Quote Originally Posted by dukejim1 View Post
    Leaf would look good in our limited lineup
    Does he play guard?

That's where we're a little thin today

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    The pundits will have to give up on ranting about how Kentucky is the best team in the country.