Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best Halloween Candy

I can probably list at least a top ten to fifteen.

Limited to only one? Has to be Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

Would a liquid Almond Joy count?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

Reese's? Top 3.

Snickers is #1. No reasonable argument can be made to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Reese's? Top 3.

Snickers is #1. No reasonable argument can be made to the contrary.
    Dissent. The single Reece's cup packet is the crown jewel of any Halloween haul. Snickers is good...but it's Tom Gugliotta to the Christian Laettner that is the Reece's cup.

My wife and I had this conversation just the other day. She would agree with the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. She said she prefers the pumpkins (and Christmas trees and eggs) since the peanut butter to chocolate ratio is increased, but would be happy with any Reese's cup.

I had to go with Peanut M&Ms. Dark chocolate if possible, though I've only ever seen those in the family size bags at a few different stores.

The thread is about Halloween candy, which usually means bite size as opposed to regular bar size, king bar size, or even snack size.

I think this puts a spotlight on dark chocolate options, which work best as bite size. I would single out Hershey's Special Dark (the Miniature), dark chocolate mint Kit Kat (the single firm bar), and Milky Way Midnight (the tiny cube).

A nut-free household exempts me from the Snickers/Reese's debate, though I remember Reese's cups need the chocolate base (below the peanut butter) to be thick and firm. Even a little melting, thinness, or oiliness ruins it. Also, Butterfinger is optimal in bite size.

I'm tempted to say Twix is the best Halloween candy, but for some magical reason it works equally well in every size (except king size, where I've run into freshness/crispness issues). Kit Kat -- not just the dark chocolate mint kind -- has a much better bite size (the single firm bar) than snack size (2 bars), but you usually see the latter in stores.

I'd be all over a Yum, Chocolate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    The thread is about Halloween candy, which usually means bite size as opposed to regular bar size, king bar size, or even snack size.

I think this puts a spotlight on dark chocolate options, which work best as bite size. I would single out Hershey's Special Dark (the Miniature), dark chocolate mint Kit Kat (the single firm bar), and Milky Way Midnight (the tiny cube).

A nut-free household exempts me from the Snickers/Reese's debate, though I remember Reese's cups need the chocolate base (below the peanut butter) to be thick and firm. Even a little melting, thinness, or oiliness ruins it. Also, Butterfinger is optimal in bite size.

I'm tempted to say Twix is the best Halloween candy, but for some magical reason it works equally well in every size (except king size, where I've run into freshness/crispness issues). Kit Kat -- not just the dark chocolate mint kind -- has a much better bite size (the single firm bar) than snack size (2 bars), but you usually see the latter in stores.

Yea, but if we have a chocolate peanut butter porter/stout or a chocolate stout, do we post it in the Ymm, Chocolate thread or the Ymm, Beer thread. (I'd vote both .)

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yea, but if we have a chocolate peanut butter porter/stout or a chocolate stout, do we post it in the Ymm, Chocolate thread or the Ymm, Beer thread. (I'd vote both .)
    That reminds me I've still got a Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti that my wife got me for my birthday. I wonder what Halloween candy that pairs best with...

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

I love chocolate but I find bite size to be remarkably unsatisfying. It is a tease.

I am a big fan of krackel and Nestle crunch - I like the crispness.

This was a great year for me as my toddler was old enough to enthusiastically go out and get candy but by this morning it was long forgotten - like taking candy from a baby...

Quote Originally Posted by LegoBatman View Post
    That reminds me I've still got a Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti that my wife got me for my birthday. I wonder what Halloween candy that pairs best with...
    I don't have a clue. Send it to me and I'll figure it out for you...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I love chocolate but I find bite size to be remarkably unsatisfying. It is a tease.

I am a big fan of krackel and Nestle crunch - I like the crispness.

This was a great year for me as my toddler was old enough to enthusiastically go out and get candy but by this morning it was long forgotten - like taking candy from a baby...
    That's why they make 9-12 ounce bags of it.

100 Grand

[mic drop]

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    That's why they make 9-12 ounce bags of it.
    I am a lazy eater - it is basically the same amount of effort to unwrap a small or large candy so why not get the benefit of getting a large one. This is why I'm not a fan of peanuts with shells on them - way too much work even though I like eating peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I am a lazy eater - it is basically the same amount of effort to unwrap a small or large candy so why not get the benefit of getting a large one. This is why I'm not a fan of peanuts with shells on them - way too much work even though I like eating peanuts.
    But think of all the calories you'd expend opening all those minis or peanuts in the shell.

Twix, Kit Kat, Mars bar, Paydays...too many to pick from.

They are rare in our Halloween hauls, but my daughters are already well trained that if they ever get a Heath bar it is automatically subject to the Daddy Tax.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Twix, Kit Kat, Mars bar, Paydays...too many to pick from.
    Looks like we need to have a Halloween candy playoff system...

I'd even include the A&M's, err, M&M's.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    No love for the non-chocolate candy division? A roll of SweetTarts or Smarties is never a bad thing. I'm also quite partial to Runts.

I love Reeces but my current favorite is Peanut Butter Snickers. My daughter was a little upset with me yesterday when I ate the only PB Snickers in her haul. Since the PB Snickers is always in squares, it's same in bite size as it is in regular size. The point about bite-sized vs regular sized candy and the chocolate ratio is very valid. Some are better full sized others are better bite sized.

For example, I like both bite sized and full sized Reeces cups but prefer the full sized (not that I wouldn't eat at least 4 or 5 bite sized Reeces right now if they magically appeared on my desk).

I would have gone with Reese's peanut butter cups, but given a choice between Reese's, Kit-Kat and old school Hershey's milk chocolate bars (those three were bundled in the candy boxes being sold at Costco) trick or treaters to my house overwhelmingly preferred Hershey's - just another disappointing lifestyle choice by the younger generation