Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I have to admit That makes me happy to hear. Genuinely not proud but really happy

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    I have to admit That makes me happy to hear. Genuinely not proud but really happy
    Maybe he can change positions like our other defector, Chazz babie....

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Wonder how he would have done with a coach that knows how to coach 4* QBs into first round picks. (Or was DJ a 3* ?)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Wonder how he would have done with a coach that knows how to coach 4* QBs into first round picks. (Or was DJ a 3* ?)
    At the most, DJ was a two-three star, but it's hard to find a ranking service that even went that high on him. Rivals, for example, had him unranked.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    At the most, DJ was a two-three star, but it's hard to find a ranking service that even went that high on him. Rivals, for example, had him unranked.
    DJ was a flat 2-star. Definitely not ranked 3 star by any service I am aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    DJ was a flat 2-star. Definitely not ranked 3 star by any service I am aware of.
    Daniel Jones was a late bloomer -- headed to Princeton until his coach called Cut.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I would not be surprised if Jack Sears applies for transfer before the first game. If I understand the rule correctly, that would make him eligible to play next year. If he waits until game one, he would not be eligible until the following year. He would also lose a year of eligibility. Can someone confirm that?

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I would not be surprised if Jack Sears applies for transfer before the first game. If I understand the rule correctly, that would make him eligible to play next year. If he waits until game one, he would not be eligible until the following year. He would also lose a year of eligibility. Can someone confirm that?
    Not sure but I think you're right and I'm assuming he'll be gone shortly...too bad, he could've used that nice Duke Football cushion I was going to send him...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Not sure but I think you're right and I'm assuming he'll be gone shortly...too bad, he could've used that nice Duke Football cushion I was going to send him...
    I would also assume that there is zero chance that Cut would offer a landing spot here. Loyalty is a big deal to Cut.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    He's a redshirt sophomore, so he has 3 years of eligibility left?? Is that correct?

It looks like Duke's QB position will be wide open next year. I assume Coach Cut would NEVER go after someone who has already "dissed" him once?

I don't begrudge Jack anything, and hope he does well.

Chazz, on the other hand, can burn in Hell with the rest of those bastards down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    He's a redshirt sophomore, so he has 3 years of eligibility left?? Is that correct?

It looks like Duke's QB position will be wide open next year. I assume Coach Cut would NEVER go after someone who has already "dissed" him once?
    Probably not. Even if he would, there is no reason to think we'd be better off with Sears than with Gunnar or Katrenick...he certainly doesn't have any more experience than either (and he has less experience in "our system").

I do find it amazing that we didn't land a QB in the incoming freshman class.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I don't begrudge Jack anything, and hope he does well.

Chazz, on the other hand, can burn in Hell with the rest of those bastards down the road.
    Seems like a reasonable prediction/assessment for the two QB’s that dissed us.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post

Well, and Sears didn't play much last year for a 5-7 team that was 4-5 in the weak PAC-12. He played against Arizona State when starter Tyler Vaughns was out and, although he had good stats and two TD's, never saw the field in any other game.

And now he is slated for third string for an unranked USC team. Why would Duke be interested in Sears, even if there was no history?
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I am a bad person. I hold a grudge. This is good news

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    And now he is slated for third string for an unranked USC team. Why would Duke be interested in Sears, even if there was no history?
    Exactly. My guess if he does transfer, it sure won't be to any big time, or even medium time, program if he wants to see the field. And unless a Power 5 conference is in really dire QB straits, they probably won't be much interested in Sears, either. Unless they have no respect for the USC coaches that made the call to put him at the back of the line, most teams would likely view it as a wasted scholarship.

Thinking akin to Scott Bracey...high expectations with no results. (I'm still holding out hope for Bracey, though.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Exactly. My guess if he does transfer, it sure won't be to any big time, or even medium time, program if he wants to see the field. And unless a Power 5 conference is in really dire QB straits, they probably won't be much interested in Sears, either. Unless they have no respect for the USC coaches that made the call to put him at the back of the line, most teams would likely view it as a wasted scholarship.

Thinking akin to Scott Bracey...high expectations with no results. (I'm still holding out hope for Bracey, though.)
    I think you might be wrong about this...I suspect there will be plenty of interest in Sears. Lots of teams need QBs...he'll have multiple P5 offers.

I remember his videos from high school . . .

And they really had me excited. He had/has talent. Was I upset when he reneged on his commitment? Sure was, but I don't hold it against him. I wish him happiness wherever he goes. It would not ruin my day if he ended up at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Jack View Post
    And they really had me excited. He had/has talent. Was I upset when he reneged on his commitment? Sure was, but I don't hold it against him. I wish him happiness wherever he goes. It would not ruin my day if he ended up at Duke.
    I blame Sears' de-committal on Hurricane Matthew, which produced huge rains during his OV, the weekend of the Duke-Army game,
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I blame Sears' de-committal on Hurricane Matthew, which produced huge rains during his OV, the weekend of the Duke-Army game,
    Yea, I remember watching that game and thinking....this is totally nuts to be playing a football game in this weather! If I remember correctly, there were about 14 people in the stands (and that may be a high number!) watching the game. Obviously, NOT a good weekend to bring in a top recruit but I know these visits are planned weeks, if not months, in advance. Hard to predict the weather that far in advance. It didn't surprise me in the least when he subsequently broke his commitment to Duke and signed with USC. And, frankly, at the time, I thought it sort of strange that a football "stud" from Southern Cal would want to go to Duke (even with a quarterback "guru" as head coach.