Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    You know, there is a "half full" perspective here too:

Jones is playing so surprisingly well that a top tier QB prospect didn't think he would get in the playing field for a few years.

That's just a little bit awesome.

My take

I have no inside knowledge but would guess that changes at USC might have had a lot to do with this.

In the last several years the USC coaching situation has been very unstable and last year Sark was fired. Max Browne, who had been the top rated pro style hs qb in his class was the heir apparent to Cody Kessler and would have 2 years of eligibility. Sam Darnold was redshirting.

USC has now won 6 in a row. Clay Helton looks like he will be the head coach for a while. Browne bombed out and Darnold has been great, so great that he could easily leave in 2 more years for the NFL. So Sears can red shirt next year, back up Darnold the following, and then compete for the starting job. All the while with stable coaching. Close to home. And both Sears and Darnold went to the same high school so I would assume they at least know each other.

I know the weather was bad when Sears visited Duke but when I watch Duke games on TV I see a lot of empty seats. USC does not fill the Colosseum but there seems to be more excitement than at Wallace Wade. The opposite in basketball.

Just speculation and lots of things change. However it is pretty easy for me to understand the change.

SoCal

new QB commit!

and faster than you can say Jacque Rabitte, Cut gets a QB who just decommitted from Bowling Green, three star Chris Katatrenick, offers from
    UVA, ND State, some lesser MACesque schools too.

Great news! Chris Katatrenick, welcome!

It is still unknown if Sears will pan out. I'm quite happy to have a QB in hand, maybe two if Thomas Sirk comes back next year. Go Duke!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

According to this Scout story (linked below), there is a possibility that Darnold could leave USC after next season, his redshirt Sophmore season, so that would open up the starting job for Sear's redshirt Freshmen year, but he will have to compete with 5-star 2018 USC commit Matt Corral.

http://www.scout.com/college/footbal...b-flips-to-usc
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    USC has now won 6 in a row. Clay Helton looks like he will be the head coach for a while. Browne bombed out and Darnold has been great, so great that he could easily leave in 2 more years for the NFL. So Sears can red shirt next year, back up Darnold the following, and then compete for the starting job. All the while with stable coaching. Close to home. And both Sears and Darnold went to the same high school so I would assume they at least know each other.
    Actually, Darnold could leave after just one more year. Players who've redshirted can enter the NFL draft after their sophomore season, like Johnny Manziel did. So Darnold conceivably could go pro after the 2017 season, meaning Sears would only have to sit behind him for a year. And if Sears redshirted for that season, he wouldn't burn a year of eligibility.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Great news! Chris Katatrenick, welcome!

It is still unknown if Sears will pan out. I'm quite happy to have a QB in hand, maybe two if Thomas Sirk comes back next year. Go Duke!
    This may be the correct spelling (from CBS story): Chris Katernick.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    You know, there is a "half full" perspective here too:

Jones is playing so surprisingly well that a top tier QB prospect didn't think he would get in the playing field for a few years.

That's just a little bit awesome.
    Hear! Hear!

I find this encouraging. Daniel has played very well this year, and appears to have a very high ceiling.

I'm just amazed that his only D1 offer was from Princeton.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Thanks. That will save Bob Harris' successor a few syllables over the course of a season.☺

After looking at his video, he looks big, accurate and mobile.

Tons of natural tools

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Thanks. That will save Bob Harris' successor a few syllables over the course of a season.☺
    speaking of which: any word on who will succeed Mr Bob Harris?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Hear! Hear!

I find this encouraging. Daniel has played very well this year, and appears to have a very high ceiling.

I'm just amazed that his only D1 offer was from Princeton.
    If I recall correctly it was because Jones got injured early in his Senior year and not many school really got a chance to see him. The only reason Cut found out about him was his HS coach reached out to Cut about him. Least I remember reading something about all of this on the net a while ago.

KatREnick perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It actually appears to be KatREnick, per most sources I am seeing. Just a heads up, in case I'm seeing that correctly.

Go Duke!! Go Blue Devils!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    If I recall correctly it was because Jones got injured early in his Senior year and not many school really got a chance to see him. The only reason Cut found out about him was his HS coach reached out to Cut about him. Least I remember reading something about all of this on the net a while ago.
    It was more along the lines that he was a very late bloomer, and was pretty small before his (highly successful) senior year, 6-2, 160...did not attend summer camps, he did have a wrist injury (junior year), but basically he just
    didn't distinguish himself until his senior year, by which time most teams were locked in on other prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It was more along the lines that he was a very late bloomer, and was pretty small before his (highly successful) senior year, 6-2, 160...did not attend summer camps, he did have a wrist injury (junior year), but basically he just
    didn't distinguish himself until his senior year, by which time most teams were locked in on other prospects.
    For those with more insight into the program than the typical fan, how do people feel about Jones vs our other recent qbs (Sirk, Boone, Renfree, Lewis).

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I have no inside knowledge but would guess that changes at USC might have had a lot to do with this.

In the last several years the USC coaching situation has been very unstable and last year Sark was fired. Max Browne, who had been the top rated pro style hs qb in his class was the heir apparent to Cody Kessler and would have 2 years of eligibility. Sam Darnold was redshirting.

I know the weather was bad when Sears visited Duke but when I watch Duke games on TV I see a lot of empty seats. USC does not fill the Colosseum but there seems to be more excitement than at Wallace Wade. The opposite in basketball.

Just speculation and lots of things change. However it is pretty easy for me to understand the change.

SoCal
    I think it is even more than you suggest attributable to the above supposition because Darnold (at least according to what I read out here about USC) is almost certainly going to go pro after NEXT season (as he would be eligible for the NFL draft after completing his redshirt Soph year), not the following year. So, Sears would seem to be the front runner to step into the starting spot at SC as a redshirt freshman, whereas the likelihood of Daniel Jones going pro early would seem much smaller, in which case Sears possibly would have to wait three years to play at Duke.

Given the emergence of Jones and Darnold over the past 2 months, this development really can't be much of a surprise.

Katrenick does not appear to be that highly rated and his offer list is not that impressive.

But so what?

With the single exception of Sean Renfree, NONE of Cut's QBs have been blue chippers. Neither Anthony Boone nor Thomas Sirk were rated big-time recruits. Daniel Jones got one P5 offer -- from Duke.

Heck, next to Renfree, Duke's top rated QB recruit was probably Nico Pierre.

Next year's QB depth chart could be interesting.

We'll have Jones at the top, but who is behind him?

It should be Parker Boehme, who would be a quality, experienced backup. But will Boehme return for a fifth year to sit on the bench? Might he graduate and go somewhere that he has a better chance to play? I have no inside info, but wait and see.

It's possible that Thomas Sirk applies for a sixth year. I doubt this happens -- would he really want to risk his fragile Achilles after another long and grueling rehab? unlikely, but possible.

Quentin Harris is probably next. Hard to tell what he brings to the table after not playing for two years (aside from a few unimpressive snaps vs. NCCU).

Ketrenick is the last guy on the depth chart. But you'd hate to thrust a three-star true freshman into the rotation.

Bottom line: If Jones is healthy all year, we are very well set at QB. But something happens to him, God help us.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Katrenick does not appear to be that highly rated and his offer list is not that impressive.

But so what?

With the single exception of Sean Renfree, NONE of Cut's QBs have been blue chippers. Neither Anthony Boone nor Thomas Sirk were rated big-time recruits. Daniel Jones got one P5 offer -- from Duke.

Heck, next to Renfree, Duke's top rated QB recruit was probably Nico Pierre.

Next year's QB depth chart could be interesting.

We'll have Jones at the top, but who is behind him?

It should be Parker Boehme, who would be a quality, experienced backup. But will Boehme return for a fifth year to sit on the bench? Might he graduate and go somewhere that he has a better chance to play? I have no inside info, but wait and see.

It's possible that Thomas Sirk applies for a sixth year. I doubt this happens -- would he really want to risk his fragile Achilles after another long and grueling rehab? unlikely, but possible.

Quentin Harris is probably next. Hard to tell what he brings to the table after not playing for two years (aside from a few unimpressive snaps vs. NCCU).

Ketrenick is the last guy on the depth chart. But you'd hate to thrust a three-star true freshman into the rotation.

Bottom line: If Jones is healthy all year, we are very well set at QB. But something happens to him, God help us.
    Sorry to poke fun but where we not saying that when Sirk went down this past August!!!

Thankfully he did with Jones!!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Totally agree with that statement, but just to play Devil's advocate, we were saying the same thing about Sirk, and Jones didn't seem to be much more than a blip on the radar. (I do hope Boehme stays, I have confidence in him.)
    Never know who steps up when opportunity knocks.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I think it is even more than you suggest attributable to the above supposition because Darnold (at least according to what I read out here about USC) is almost certainly going to go pro after NEXT season (as he would be eligible for the NFL draft after completing his redshirt Soph year), not the following year. So, Sears would seem to be the front runner to step into the starting spot at SC as a redshirt freshman, whereas the likelihood of Daniel Jones going pro early would seem much smaller, in which case Sears possibly would have to wait three years to play at Duke.

Given the emergence of Jones and Darnold over the past 2 months, this development really can't be much of a surprise.
    For Sears' redshirt freshman year, he'd have some strong competition from USC's 2018 5-star QB recruit Matt Corral, so I don't see a worry for competition being a big reason for his decision.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil