Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Other than hoping to call him Craftsman Jack when he got to Duke, Sears is officially off my radar now.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Parker Boehme was NOT introduced with the seniors last week.

No guarantee he'll be back next season. But it's a good trend line.

It would be hard to pass on usc .no pun intended.if your from the west coast.if he arrived got home sick and left after a season .he would have done duke and himself a disservice.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    It would be hard to pass on usc .no pun intended.if your from the west coast.if he arrived got home sick and left after a season .he would have done duke and himself a disservice.
    Not just the west coast in general, but SoCal specifically. It seems that 1/3 of the people I see on Saturday mornings are wearing SC colors, another 1/3 are wearing UCLA colors and the rest are on their way to the beach.

It's hard for me to imagine a football star from San Clemente choosing Duke over SC.

Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    For those with more insight into the program than the typical fan, how do people feel about Jones vs our other recent qbs (Sirk, Boone, Renfree, Lewis).
    I think when all is said and done, and if he stays healthy, Jones will more than hold his own on that list if not get to the top of it. He is big, he can run, he can throw downfield, he is starting to learn to read the field and the defenses better.

Hard to rate potential against finished careers. But young Mr. Jones is playing well and has a lot of upside to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Parker Boehme was NOT introduced with the seniors last week.

No guarantee he'll be back next season. But it's a good trend line.
    I like Parker, surprised we have not seen the Boehme Package in the same way we have with backups in years past. Any idea why? Jones just too good a runner to pull in the red zone?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I like Parker, surprised we have not seen the Boehme Package in the same way we have with backups in years past. Any idea why? Jones just too good a runner to pull in the red zone?
    Just speculation on my part, but perhaps we don't have a backup backup QB to Parker if he were to go down?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I think it's because the Jones Package is more effective than the Boehme Package at this point.
    Jones's play fakes have been superb, a fine weapon near the goal line.

I wonder if it's because the odds are higher that Boehme will run the ball rather than pass it when he comes in for Jones? I have really been impressed with Jones' play, especially late in the season. However I'm glad we have Boehme as the back up QB. GoDuke!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I think it's because the Jones Package is more effective than the Boehme Package at this point.
    As the guy from the stands watching our ball movement get stuffed repeatedly, only to realize that the guy actually with the ball is churning dirt, I agree.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I wonder if it's because the odds are higher that Boehme will run the ball rather than pass it when he comes in for Jones?
    I believe it is a combination of what you say and what budwom says above. With Jones at QB, the offense can run the read-option and/or a run-pass option play. Our Red Zone offense has been very efficient in recent games...off to look at some Red Zone statistics.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    With Jones at QB, the offense can run the read-option and/or a run-pass option play. Our Red Zone offense has been very efficient in recent games...off to look at some Red Zone statistics.
    True, but it was the same with Anthony and with Thomas as well.

Curious to see if the stats show that this year's Red Zone proficiency is greater than those past years with the Connette/etcetera package.

Red Zone percentage takes into account touchdowns and field goals scored in the Red Zone. Duke has 36 trips into the Red Zone scoring 26 touchdowns and three field goals for 80.6 percent which ranks 10 of 14 in the ACC.

For conversational purposes, let's eliminate the field goals and look at touchdowns only. Duke's 26 touchdowns on 36 opportunities is 72.2 percent which would rank four of 14 in the ACC behind Pitt, Virginia and FSU.
    Bob Green

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yeah, agree, and it also keeps us from being predictable. Defense has to respect all of our potential plays vs knowing it's very likely to be a QB run.

Red Zone percentage takes into account touchdowns and field goals scored in the Red Zone. Duke has 36 trips into the Red Zone scoring 26 touchdowns and three field goals for 80.6 percent which ranks 10 of 14 in the ACC.

For conversational purposes, let's eliminate the field goals and look at touchdowns only. Duke's 26 touchdowns on 36 opportunities is 72.2 percent which would rank four of 14 in the ACC behind Pitt, Virginia and FSU.
    Gee, from those stats one might almost think Duke was having trouble in the realm of kicking field goals.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Gee, from those stats one might almost think Duke was having trouble in the realm of kicking field goals.
    I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to me that it's four-down territory from the enemy 40yd line to the enemy 10yd line. Ross Martin spoiled us. However, the pooch punts have been a nice wrinkle, and effective.

Not that anyone around here cares anymore but San Clemente upset #1 Seed Heritage 23-19 last night.

http://www.pe.com/articles/yard-8189...medium=twitter

For the Menifee Heritage football team, the image of San Clemente quarterback Jack Sears running upfield untouched is one that may haunt this offseason for some time.
    Bob Green

Not that anyone around here cares anymore but San Clemente upset #1 Seed Heritage 23-19 last night.

http://www.pe.com/articles/yard-8189...medium=twitter
    Did you post earlier this year that Heritage crushed San Clemente? IF so, quite the turnaround. Would like to have him join us in January, but, in Cut (Jones) I trust.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

This should pretty much close this topic up. San Clemente High School won the CIF-SS Division 2 Championship last night with a 45-35 victory over Murrieta Valley (wide receiver Aaron Young #8 attended Murrieta).

http://www.sanclementetimes.com/cham...ision-2-title/

The Tritons, who never trailed in the contest on Dec. 2 and punted only once, saw their lead shrink to 38-35 midway through the fourth quarter. But a scorching 67-yard touchdown run by quarterback Jack Sears late in the quarter and a huge second-half defensive effort sealed a 45-35 victory for the Tritons.
    Sears had four total touchdowns, including two passing throws, and ran for 173 yards on 17 carries. He also completed 18 of 22 passes for 209 yards.
    Bob Green

hey Jack!

Nothing like digging up an old thread for purposes of schadenfreude (no, I am not above that)...old pal and "commit" Jack Sears just got the news that he will neither be the starter nor the #2 guy for USC this year at QB...JT Daniels retains the job and true freshman Slovis gets the backup job. Might want to spring for one of those cushion seats, Jack.

(Ordinarily I'm OK with a kid changing his mind, but the QB position is unique since Duke recruits precious few...and in this case Jack left us high and dry...which is why, with Holmberg injured, we have but two scholarship QBs on our roster which is NOT favorable in the least). Cut makes it very clear what a commitment means in his mind, so my sympathy for Jack is minimal ...he may still recover as I imagine he will be seeking a transfer sooner rather than later. We'll see.