Thank You Jela Duncan

It sounds like Jela's Duke football career is over too soon, and like DeVon, in a way he truly did not deserve. Jela has done as much for Duke football's resurgence as any player we've had. He was Duke's leading rusher in 2012 when we made our first bowl game under Cut. Jela's power running style served notice that Duke was now the hammer, not the nail.

Since then, Jela had many setbacks - 2 shoulder surgeries, a torn pectoral muscle, and an academic suspension of 1 full year + the Peach bowl game of 2013. Duncan remained steadfast, fully committed to Duke, and got up stronger each time a setback knocked him down. He has epitomized Duke football's new heart and attitude. I have no doubt he will respond in similar fashion to this most recent setback. As will this Duke football team.

I've always felt Jela's power running style would bring him success in the NFL. Regardless of his future, he has given everything to Duke. He deserves to be successful, and I believe at Duke he has learned the strength and resilience to do so. Jela Duncan is a winner.

Thank you Jela for everything you've given to Duke. We will remember you and always be cheering for you.

Good Highlight video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlcko6MN4F4

How Sweet it is from Bob Harris:
    http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...200&ID=4524095

Good Keeley article on Jela:
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...e38769177.html

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    He has epitomized Duke football's new heart and attitude.
    Jela Duncan deserves huge props for giving his all to every play. This is sad, sad news. How did he get hurt? I did not see it happen on the TV broadcast. After Shaun Wilson scored a TD, Duncan was down on the sideline.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Jela Duncan deserves huge props for giving his all to every play. This is sad, sad news. How did he get hurt? I did not see it happen on the TV broadcast. After Shaun Wilson scored a TD, Duncan was down on the sideline.
    I didn't see it either. I saw him being helped off the field unable to bear weight, and they called it lower leg injury. So no clue, but I really hope he can rehab and recover to 100% Jela Duncan. Best case, I could see him as a Jonathan Stewart type power back on Sundays.

But with a Duke degree, and growth as a man under Cut he has learned integrity, taking responsibility, and the determination to be a winner in whatever he does.

How did he get hurt?
    Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC · 6m6 minutes ago  North Carolina, USA

Jela Duncan will have surgery to repair ruptured Achilles on Monday AM. Injured it celebrating Shaun Wilson TD run. Jumped up, landed. Boom
    Ugh!
    Bob Green

It sounds like Jela's Duke football career is over too soon, and like DeVon, in a way he truly did not deserve. Jela has done as much for Duke football's resurgence as any player we've had. He was Duke's leading rusher in 2012 when we made our first bowl game under Cut. Jela's power running style served notice that Duke was now the hammer, not the nail.

Since then, Jela had many setbacks - 2 shoulder surgeries, a torn pectoral muscle, and an academic suspension of 1 full year + the Peach bowl game of 2013. Duncan remained steadfast, fully committed to Duke, and got up stronger each time a setback knocked him down. He has epitomized Duke football's new heart and attitude. I have no doubt he will respond in similar fashion to this most recent setback. As will this Duke football team.

I've always felt Jela's power running style would bring him success in the NFL. Regardless of his future, he has given everything to Duke. He deserves to be successful, and I believe at Duke he has learned the strength and resilience to do so. Jela Duncan is a winner.

Thank you Jela for everything you've given to Duke. We will remember you and always be cheering for you.

Good Highlight video:

Great post. Jela, keep your head up, heal, and we will see ya on Sundays! You remind many of us here of Jonathan Stewart, and God knows he's been through a lot as well. Thanks for being a Blue Devil!

Best prayers for a full and quick recovery, and big thanks for being one of my favorite backs in the Cutcliffe era.

Ugh!
    That's awful for him/his family/his teammates. No good deed goes unpunished.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I really appreciate the sentiment behind this thread...glad you started it richardjackson199 although I'm sure sorry we've having to do it, primarily for Jela's sake. I've thoroughly enjoyed his hard nosed, bruising style of running as I'm sure every Duke football fan has. Jela, thank you for all the thrills you've provided us with the last few years at Duke. I would've loved seeing you do your thing against those scoundrels down the road when we play them soon but 'tis not to be. Best of luck in your recovery and I know you'll be cheering on your teammates to further victories this season.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Good Highlight video:

This one hurts me a lot. Just gut wrenching. Best Running Back in a very very long time. I am sitting here trying to think of someone better and no name is jumping out at me. I'm sure Jim and Oly will have the answer but I cant think of anyone recent.

I will always maintain that had Jela been eligible, we win that Bowl Game against Johnny Football. Great chance he would have gotten in on that last drive in the first half, and then in the second half we just plain run out of backs due to injuries and it hurt us. We break that door down that night if Jela is on the field. I will forever be convinced of that.

Jela was a joy to watch play football. Excited for him and all the goodness that will come his way in the future.

Jela is one if my favorite Duke Football players -- I admire how he has overcome adversity and wish him a speedy recovery. I hope to see him in the NFL next year!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    That's awful for him/his family/his teammates. No good deed goes unpunished.
    Unbelievable.

Maybe he can give Sirk an Achilles rehab buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    This one hurts me a lot. Just gut wrenching. Best Running Back in a very very long time. I am sitting here trying to think of someone better and no name is jumping out at me. I'm sure Jim and Oly will have the answer but I cant think of anyone recent.

I will always maintain that had Jela been eligible, we win that Bowl Game against Johnny Football. Great chance he would have gotten in on that last drive in the first half, and then in the second half we just plain run out of backs due to injuries and it hurt us. We break that door down that night if Jela is on the field. I will forever be convinced of that.
    This is absolutely true. If memory serves, Jela also should have won the Belk bowl vs Cincy. He was viciously targetted in the head at the goal line causing a game-changing fumble.

He was viciously targetted in the head at the goal line causing a game-changing fumble.
    I don't know about the "vicious targeting" but Josh Snead is who fumbled.
    Bob Green

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    This is absolutely true. If memory serves, Jela also should have won the Belk bowl vs Cincy. He was viciously targetted in the head at the goal line causing a game-changing fumble.
    That was actually Josh Snead that fumbled at the goal line. Game set and match if we score there. Disaster strikes after the fumble.

Snead fumbled at end.

Jela took a wicked helmet to helmet early on and dropped the ball, totally understandable given the hit which should've been flagged. Pretty sure that was Jela.
    Last edited by Reilly; 10-30-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Thank you, Jela Duncan. May you heal quickly and completely so you move on to the next stage of your life at full speed.

Great career!

Thank you Jela Duncan for making Duke your school. I'll always remember your tough running. God bless you young man and GoDuke!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. And for the start of a new chapter in life with your degree in hand.