Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Copperhead (Palm Harbor, FL)

Home of the PGA Valspar Championship (held in early March). The three finishing holes are called "The Snake Pit" due to their difficulty, and 16 (when played as a par 4) is one of the toughest you'll find. Water up the entire right side of the dogleg right. Typically plays to a par 71. The greens for us were slower than normal, but they'll speed them up a lot over the next six weeks. Otherwise in great condition. Lots of elevation change for Florida, and pines rather than palms. And they can stretch the course to 7000+ and set some super-tough pins when they want. Innisbrook Resort is pretty reasonably priced, too, and has three other courses (although we did not play those). A fun golf getaway, even if it doesn't have the current hype of, say, Streamsong.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Forest Oaks Country Club (Greensboro, NC)

I "had" to play a practice round with my kid over there today, in advance of his TYGA tournament next Saturday. Home for a time to the Greater Greensboro Open. Solid golf course, with some really tricky greens. For instance, the very first hole had a sucker-pin front left, very near a huge false front. Or #11, which basically has a trench in the middle of the green, creating a major optical illusion. When the pin is down in that trench, it looks as though it is up front. Miss short (or long, for that matter) and the putting gets treacherous.

I can see this as a PGA-level track, once they take the pins to the tips and if they roll those greens. Not a course I'd necessarily seek out again, but was fun to play once.

Man! Just being insanely jealous that you are playing at all. Cold as all get-out here; no golf in the offing for probably at least another 6 weeks or more.

On the plus side, I played Whistling Straits on Tiger Woods on the Wii a few days ago. Brutal putting. Seriously. Some of my 5-foot putts broke over 12 inches and would roll out to 6 feet past even if you barely touched 'em!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Man! Just being insanely jealous that you are playing at all. Cold as all get-out here; no golf in the offing for probably at least another 6 weeks or more.

On the plus side, I played Whistling Straits on Tiger Woods on the Wii a few days ago. Brutal putting. Seriously. Some of my 5-foot putts broke over 12 inches and would roll out to 6 feet past even if you barely touched 'em!
    Well, our 9:00 am tee time *was* delayed 30 minutes due to frost, and we needed hand warmers on the front side ....

Paiute Golf Resort (Las Vegas): Sun Mountain course

My love-hate relationship with Pete Dye continues. This is one of three Dye designs at Paiute, approximately 40 minutes from the Strip. Very remote, but gorgeous surrounding views, and the weather yesterday was absolutely perfect: 65 degrees, a few wispy clouds, no wind, and dry-dry-dry.

Stretched to the tips, this is Nevada's longest course (at 7100 yards or so). We played the Regular tees at nearly 6100, which was just about right. It is classic desert golf: If you hit it left or right of the green stuff, good luck finding your ball amongst all the rocks. Not much water to this course (only on 3 or 4 holes), but the water up the left side of the 18th makes it a really tough finishing hole. Pretty speedy greens, too; I'd wager they were running in the 11-12 vicinity yesterday.

Fun course, and a great facility. I want to go back and play their Snow Mountain and Wolf courses now. Of course, back-to-back birdies on 9 and 10 (my first back-to-back in a LOOOONG time) didn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    My love-hate relationship with Pete Dye continues. This is one of three Dye designs at Paiute, approximately 40 minutes from the Strip. Very remote, but gorgeous surrounding views, and the weather yesterday was absolutely perfect: 65 degrees, a few wispy clouds, no wind, and dry-dry-dry.

Stretched to the tips, this is Nevada's longest course (at 7100 yards or so). We played the Regular tees at nearly 6100, which was just about right. It is classic desert golf: If you hit it left or right of the green stuff, good luck finding your ball amongst all the rocks. Not much water to this course (only on 3 or 4 holes), but the water up the left side of the 18th makes it a really tough finishing hole. Pretty speedy greens, too; I'd wager they were running in the 11-12 vicinity yesterday.

Fun course, and a great facility. I want to go back and play their Snow Mountain and Wolf courses now. Of course, back-to-back birdies on 9 and 10 (my first back-to-back in a LOOOONG time) didn't hurt.
    Nice!

Keep the reviews coming. When it warms up, I'll add a few, too.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Winding Creek Golf Course (Thomasville, NC)

Not to be confused with High Point CC's Willow Creek course. Winding Creek in Thomasville (tucked in between Highway 109 and Business 85) is a muni through and through. Don't expect swanky amenities, but do expect reasonably priced golf. And expect to have a round where super-precision is a premium. That's hard to do when the wind is blowing as much as it did yesterday. This is not a long course; the tips measure just under 6400. But the fairways are narrow (and become extra-narrow in the summer, when they let the rough grow long), and the greens are really, really small. And very few of the greens have many flat spots on them, so be prepared for precision putting as well. On top of it, there is surprising elevation change to this course, given its location; more like something one might expect in the NC mountains.

Not a "destination course," by any stretch of the imagination, but a fun track when one happens to be in the area, or as an inexpensive change-of-pace for those who live nearby.

OK, we had a couple of warm days, so I made it out to a local track for 9 holes on Saturday. This is a course I've played a hundred times, so I can review it even though this time around I only played the front 9.

Battlefield Golf Club, in Chesapeake VA. par 70. From the white tees, only 5869 yards, but course rating is 69.1 and the slope is 125. From the back tees the course still isn't long, at 6192, but has a course rating of 70.8.

This is an interesting course. Being only about 20 miles from the Atlantic ocean, the land on which the course was built was originally completely flat. They brought in a lot of fly ash and built rolling hills and some good elevation changes (up to 40 feet). There was a public outcry about the fly ash, as a lot of people in a neighborhood just to the south of the course use well water. Locals sometimes call the course "Fly Ash Point."

The layout was specifically designed to be like a links course in Scotland, and the wind often cooperates in making the experience pretty close. There are few trees. Over the first few years the course was practically unplayable because of harsh rough, but now they mow it down enough that a wayward shot doesn't always equal death.

They put 8 lakes into the property, so water comes into play on 8 of 9 holes on the front nine, and 4 holes on the back nine. There are a lot of great holes in terms of making the player think strategically.

The greens were completely replaced about a year and a half ago. They are an interesting type of bermuda. They are hard as rocks, but they hold shots better than expected. They putt, generally, a little slow, but pretty smoothly. There are tiered greens and many of the greens have quite a bit of slope, so putting can be somewhat challenging.

The pro shop is a trailer and they have port-a-potties. The parking lot is dirt. All of these things make a lot of people stay away. Works for me. I'm more concerned with the quality of the course and how much fun it is to play. They also have a wonderful driving range without mats, which I really like. And, it's cheap! Typically about $20 for 9, $30 for 18, and that includes the cart.

All in all, I really like it. I think it's one of the most underrated courses in Hampton Roads.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    OK, we had a couple of warm days, so I made it out to a local track for 9 holes on Saturday.

Good review. Glad you could get to play.

UNC-Finley

After a Thanksgiving weekend cancellation (funerals blow), we finally made it over to Finley where, I infer, duketaylor holds the course record. I played there once as a Duke grad student, but it has since been renovated. Tom Fazio bones. My tweenager son plays a two-day there in a month, so we pre-played the "senior" tees for his benefit. The layout at that distance is pretty straightforward, although the greens are both speedy & tricky. From the tips, I can imagine this course being a real beast. I liked it more than Pinehurst No.6, but not as much as No.4 (the two Fazio tracks I have played in the Sandhills). But the shade of blue and that logo made me twitchy ...

I played UNC-Finley once after the renovation. Despite the name, it's a really good course.

Pinewild Holly Course

Another practice round in advance of a TYGA-sponsored tournament next Sunday. Because they will play the 12-year-old boys from the senior tees (5450 yards) next week, we played from there today (which is too short for my liking; the 6000 yard whites would have been my preference). A Gary Player design and a fun track. The greens are generally pretty small (with a couple of exceptions, including the ninth), and the grain really influences the putts (both speed and break), even though they are bent grass. Some tight fairways, too; I imagine they can make this a real beast when the rough grows in and if played from a longer distance (7500 from the tips). In solid condition and fun to play it.

Waterfront Country Club (Moneta, VA)

One of the courses at Smith Mountain Lake. Really fun "mountain golf," with lots of elevation changes, and very few flat fairways. Par 71, we played the member tees at approximately 5700 yards. Is in really good condition right now, with the exception of the 16th and 18th fairways. Some really undulating greens that were running pretty fast today. The 17th is the signature hole, a par 3 that plays a good 25 yards downhill with water left and a bunker right. A good time was had by all.

The Carolina Club (Grandy, NC)

Played this unfortunately named golf course last Monday when I had the week off. It's not far north of the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The greenskeeper is reportedly a gentleman who used to be on the faculty at Virginia Tech in turf grass management. The course is well known for always being in pristine shape; fairways and greens just gorgeous.

Being early in the season the fairways were brown but the greens were spectacular. In general they are large and well contoured, leading to lots of interesting putts.

The layout is nice, too. Not too long, not too short. A lot of great par 5's; probably the most interesting collection of par 5's of any course I've played. One is narrow and reasonably short; one has a hard dogleg that begs for a bold shot over trouble; one has water left and short; the final par 5 is the 18th hole, and it's reachable but dangerous.

They also have their signature hole, which is an island green par 3, about 135-165 yards, depending on the tee box. Another large, generous green, so the "island" aspect is mostly scenic, not scary. Here's a link to a photo gallery of the course, if anyone is interested.
    http://thecarolinaclub.com/course-photo-gallery/

All-in-all, a really nice course that's well worth playing if you find yourself in the area.

Glade Springs Resort (Daniel, WV) -- Cobb Course

There are three courses at Glade Springs in SW West (by god) Virginia. We played this one on Thursday. Designed by George Cobb in 1972 (who was the architect for Augusta National's par 3 course, and added a bunch of additional renovations at Augusta over the years), this plays to a par 72 and 6900 yards or so from the tips. We played at 6100. Less "mountain golf" than I thought it would be. Many more flat fairways and less elevation change than I would have guessed. The greens are ginormous, so lag putting is at a premium. The greens had been punched maybe 2 weeks ago, so still a bit bumpy, but they sped up as the day wore on. Funnest hole was 16, which is a par 4 with shots over water on both your drive and your approach. Fun course whose condition is really good, but will become great as we get deeper into spring.
    Last edited by Tripping William; 04-15-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Glade Springs -- Woodhaven Course

Now *this* was mountain golf. In fact, even though the architects are not the same, I took to calling this Tobacco Road in the mountains. This relatively recent Tom Clark design is located on the back of the Glade Springs property, maybe three miles from where the Cobb and Stonehaven courses are situated. Not knowing this, we actually went to the wrong clubhouse this morning.

Once we got to the right place, the chipping area was amazing. There is no full driving range, and the putting area was pretty standard, but the chipping green was awesome. Three cuts of grass, plus a bunker, but really well maintained and a great spot to warm up.

The course itself is visually interesting on nearly every hole. A par 72, we played it at approximately 6,000 yards (the white tees; the tips get back to 6800 or so). LOTS of forced carries, lots of blind shots, and it can be a "ball-eater" kind of course.

I don't know if there is a "signature hole" per se, but 8 is unreal. A par four measuring approximately 400 yards, the design almost forces you to play a pair of 200-yard shots. Your approach is over a huge ravine, and coming away with par is a real accomplishment there.

Also, although they are not yet in bloom, the number of rhododendrons surrounding this course is absolutely staggering. I definitely want to return when they are blooming. And at approximately $50/round, it's an incredible value (especially compared to Primland, which is another comparable course at 4x the cost).

Run, don't walk, By God ...

TPC Louisiana

Watching the Zurich Classic reminded me that I did not review this course. I have played this Pete Dye design twice: Once in October 2015 and again about a month ago. Not as diabolical as some Dye tracks, but plenty tough. The greens can be tricky, and beware of the gators in the water hazards (no, really). The 9th is a tough par 3 to finish the front, and 18 is a great finishing par 5. Lots of fun to play.

Wade Hampton / Headwaters (Cashiers, NC)

Got to play Wade Hampton again this weekend and got to add Headwaters on top of it. Wade is, as always, a golf mecca; with pristine and extraordinarily fun/challenging golf. The finishing 4 holes, with 2 brutal par 4s, a par 3, and a risk/reward par 5 make for a great home stetch.

The far less known Headwaters might be the world's greatest par 3 course (and that includes Augusta). Just breathtakingly beautiful.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Got to play Wade Hampton again this weekend and got to add Headwaters on top of it. Wade is, as always, a golf mecca; with pristine and extraordinarily fun/challenging golf. The finishing 4 holes, with 2 brutal par 4s, a par 3, and a risk/reward par 5 make for a great home stetch.

The far less known Headwaters might be the world's greatest par 3 course (and that includes Augusta). Just breathtakingly beautiful.
    Sounds awesome! Thanks for the tip about Headwaters. Will definitely add that to the list.

Cahoon Plantation (Chesapeake, VA)

This is another of my regular tracks that I have played many times. Played it on Friday.

Its claim to fame is the course is entirely bent grass, trees, fairways, and greens. It's been rerouted at least twice in the 17 years I've lived here, but it's been in its current configuration for a number of years now.

The layout is nice. From the white tees its relatively short, which suits me just fine. The greens are almost always in good shape, and they putt true.

On the front side, 6 and 7 are the most interesting holes. Six is a drivable par 4 for many people, playing at around 260 and often down wind. It has two fairways with a lot of tough in between. The 7th I'd a short par 5, but the green is postage stamp small, fronted by a creek, and difficult to putt. I hit 3-wood, 6-iron, and 9 iron.

On the back side, 11 is interesting, with water and an immense bunker all down the left side, and the green fronted by a lake. 14 is another strategy par 5, but with a wide, shallow green. 15 is a devious little par 3 that is no more than 110 yards long but managed to be challenging anyway, with its lake, big bunkers, and contoured green.

The final hire is a beautiful downhill par 5 with the approach over water and a deep bunker to an enormous green that can be challenging.

One more thing...the rough near the greens can be deep and treacherous, leading to done really difficult chipping.

Overall, a really fun course that is challenging without being too frustrating. Highly recommended.