Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 253
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Scooped up 4 free passes to Lonnie Poole, NC State's home course today. Never played, but a co-worker(UNC grad, but I'll still believe him) says it's pretty tough. He consistently shoots in the mid 70's, so it'll probably chew me up and spit me out. I haven't played since early summer, so I better get out the David Leadbetter video, and schedule a chiropractor appointment before I go!
    I like Lonnie Poole a lot. Some great views of downtown Raleigh and a lot of fun holes. You have to keep it in the grass, though, or you'll burn through a lot of golf balls. The natural areas that make up much of the "third cut" can be really thick.

    Hope you have fun!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem

    Diplomat Golf Club (Hallandale Beach, FL)

    I played this course twice during the course of the week. I had also played it about three years ago. It reminds me a lot of Miami Beach Golf Club (reviewed upthread). Plays approximately 6500 yards from the tips. Quite a bit of water, with a number of over-water carries to get to the pin (sometimes even to the green). Fun Florida golf, if you're in Miami or Fort Lauderdale.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I like Lonnie Poole a lot. Some great views of downtown Raleigh and a lot of fun holes. You have to keep it in the grass, though, or you'll burn through a lot of golf balls. The natural areas that make up much of the "third cut" can be really thick.

    Hope you have fun!
    I really like the views available at Lonnie Poole. As for the golf course...as a high handicapper, I'm simply not good enough to enjoy it. The course is very long and last time I played I seem to remember asking a friend if there was a single flat spot on a green. I've played it multiple times including a captain's choice charity event.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Cypress Creek Country Club in Virginia Beach, VA.

    (Not to be confused with Cypress Creek Golf Club in Smithfield, VA)

    So, I played Cypress Creek in Va Beach for the first time last Friday. The greens were in really good shape considering the time of the year. The course was quite nice, with a variety of different types of holes/challenges. The front 9 has 3 par 3s, 3 par 4s and 3 par 5s, which is kind of different. I enjoyed that. Lamented a bit that all three par 3s were almost exactly the same length. It would be nice if one had been short, one mid-length, and one long, but they were all mid-length.

    The back nine was considerably more scenic and had some really nice holes. 16 is a par 3 over water with a large bunker in front. With the leaves around the lake all colorful, it was spectacular. The 17th hole was a short, tight hole that doglegged at least 90 degrees about 210 yards out. If you can place a tee shot perfectly at about 210 yards, you were faced with a beautiful downhill shot of somewhere between 80 and 110 yards. The finishing hole is a par 5 that has a fairway that twists and turns, and you can end up with a tree in the way of your approach shot even if you placed your lay-up shot perfectly. This was the one hole on the course that I thought was essentially unfair. (Having said that, I birdied it!)

    Anyway, a pretty nice layout with good greens and some challenging holes. I'll have to check it out again in the spring when the fairway grass is green.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem

    Thanksgiving Weekend Golf

    Playing Tobacco Road and Finley (I know, I know; my Duke golf bag should be enough to find off the bad juju) over the long weekend. Both for the first time (at least as to renovated Finley). Anybody have any tips?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I really like the views available at Lonnie Poole. As for the golf course...as a high handicapper, I'm simply not good enough to enjoy it. The course is very long and last time I played I seem to remember asking a friend if there was a single flat spot on a green. I've played it multiple times including a captain's choice charity event.
    Hmmmm. Interesting. Lonnie from the tips is mega-lengthy, although at that distance I have found it to be of similar difficulty to our own WaDuke, but in different ways. More forced carries at Lonnie (although #12 at Duke is a nasty over-water par 3), and less forgiving third-cut. I have to "play it forward " at both places now, though.
    Last edited by Tripping William; 11-21-2016 at 07:11 PM.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Va

    Finley

    William, ask the folks in the pro shop who holds the course record before the renovation. Love to hear the answer.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    I don't play golf anymore, but have played four PGA/Ryder Cup courses. In order of enjoyment:

    1. Augusta National Golf Club -- yeah, it really is all that. Even from the member tees. The whole experience is surreal, from drive down Magnolia Lane to locker room to practice tee to course to clubhouse to the folks you run into there. Least crowded course I have ever played. Something is always in bloom. Impeccable in every aspect.

    2. Kiawah -- fantastic course, incredible design. Absolutely beautiful. Worth the trip from Charleston, which is in itself a great trip.

    3. Pebble Beach -- iconic 5-8, 17 and 18. Small greens, tough in the wind. Much more tiring to walk than I would have thought. Beautiful and historic, a national treasure.

    4. TPC Sawgrass -- man, that is work. Really did not enjoy it all all except the island green, and that's because I got lucky to stick the green. Otherwise, a really pain of a course at my level. Never been happier to survive a round of golf.
    “That’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I don't play golf anymore, but have played four PGA/Ryder Cup courses. In order of enjoyment:

    1. Augusta National Golf Club -- yeah, it really is all that. Even from the member tees. The whole experience is surreal, from drive down Magnolia Lane to locker room to practice tee to course to clubhouse to the folks you run into there. Least crowded course I have ever played. Something is always in bloom. Impeccable in every aspect.

    2. Kiawah -- fantastic course, incredible design. Absolutely beautiful. Worth the trip from Charleston, which is in itself a great trip.

    3. Pebble Beach -- iconic 5-8, 17 and 18. Small greens, tough in the wind. Much more tiring to walk than I would have thought. Beautiful and historic, a national treasure.

    4. TPC Sawgrass -- man, that is work. Really did not enjoy it all all except the island green, and that's because I got lucky to stick the green. Otherwise, a really pain of a course at my level. Never been happier to survive a round of golf.
    When you say Kiawah, I assume you mean the Ocean Course? There are a lot of courses on Kiawah, and all of them are pretty nice.

    I played Pebble Beach twice in 1993 (well before Nicklaus designed a new 5th hole). Gorgeous course. I can imagine how tiring it would be to walk it; there are a lot of elevation changes. The 11th hole, for example, plays almost straight uphill. I ended up playing it twice in about a one-month period. The first time I played it I shot 38-42, 80; the second time I shot 42-38, 80. I played really well both times, but I lamented that I couldn't have put those two 38s together to break 80. If I played it now I think I'd be happy with 84 or 85.

    The Ocean Course at Kiawah is much more difficult, though. Breaking 90 would be a real feat there for me.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    When you say Kiawah, I assume you mean the Ocean Course? There are a lot of courses on Kiawah, and all of them are pretty nice.

    I played Pebble Beach twice in 1993 (well before Nicklaus designed a new 5th hole). Gorgeous course. I can imagine how tiring it would be to walk it; there are a lot of elevation changes. The 11th hole, for example, plays almost straight uphill. I ended up playing it twice in about a one-month period. The first time I played it I shot 38-42, 80; the second time I shot 42-38, 80. I played really well both times, but I lamented that I couldn't have put those two 38s together to break 80. If I played it now I think I'd be happy with 84 or 85.

    The Ocean Course at Kiawah is much more difficult, though. Breaking 90 would be a real feat there for me.
    Those ocean winds (they are not breezes) are an incredible hazard when playing ocean side courses.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I like Lonnie Poole a lot. Some great views of downtown Raleigh and a lot of fun holes. You have to keep it in the grass, though, or you'll burn through a lot of golf balls. The natural areas that make up much of the "third cut" can be really thick.

    Hope you have fun!
    Wow, that sounds pretty neat. We've got a foursome line up to go, two of them are single digit handicappers, the other two(including yours truly) are not. We've decided to even up the teams and play best ball with a little something on the line. Should be interesting with the challenging holes and thick 3rd layer. Steak Dinner to the winning team is also on the line. I can't wait.

  12. #52
    Thinking I'll get the daughter's beau a couple gift certificates for rounds at Bethpage. Does that sound good to you nearby linksters?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    When you say Kiawah, I assume you mean the Ocean Course? There are a lot of courses on Kiawah, and all of them are pretty nice.

    I played Pebble Beach twice in 1993 (well before Nicklaus designed a new 5th hole). Gorgeous course. I can imagine how tiring it would be to walk it; there are a lot of elevation changes. The 11th hole, for example, plays almost straight uphill. I ended up playing it twice in about a one-month period. The first time I played it I shot 38-42, 80; the second time I shot 42-38, 80. I played really well both times, but I lamented that I couldn't have put those two 38s together to break 80. If I played it now I think I'd be happy with 84 or 85.

    The Ocean Course at Kiawah is much more difficult, though. Breaking 90 would be a real feat there for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Those ocean winds (they are not breezes) are an incredible hazard when playing ocean side courses.
    Kiawah has a total of five courses on the island. I have only played Osprey Point (a single time, earlier this summer) and the Ocean Course (which I have now played three times). The strength of the winds makes all the difference in the world. I played it several years ago in really windy conditions, and played it earlier this summer in mild ones. The final three holes are just monsters in the wind; one better bring the ball-striking A-game if the winds are up. And the caddies are invaluable.

    Osprey Point is a Tom Fazio design, and is the course closest on the island to where the Ocean Course is located (meaning farthest away from the main entrance coming in from Charleston). A much more forgiving layout than Pete's Dye-abolical masterpiece, and a lot of fun to play (at a far less expensive cost).
    Last edited by Tripping William; 11-22-2016 at 11:30 AM.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    William, ask the folks in the pro shop who holds the course record before the renovation. Love to hear the answer.
    So, I gather the answer *won't* be "Davis Love III"?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    When you say Kiawah, I assume you mean the Ocean Course? There are a lot of courses on Kiawah, and all of them are pretty nice.
    Yes, sorry.
    “That’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Kiawah has a total of five courses on the island. I have only played Osprey Point (a single time, earlier this summer) and the Ocean Course (which I have now played three times). The strength of the winds makes all the difference in the world. I played it several years ago in really windy conditions, and played it earlier this summer in mild ones. The final three holes are just monsters in the wind; one better bring the ball-striking A-game if the winds are up. And the caddies are invaluable.

    Osprey Point is a Tom Fazio design, and is the course closest on the island to where the Ocean Course is located (meaning farthest away from the main entrance coming in from Charleston). A much more forgiving layout than Pete's Dye-abolical masterpiece, and a lot of fun to play (at a far less expensive cost).
    The Ocean Course is incredible, but so difficult when the wind is up that it is not fun (at least for someone of my skill level). I distinctly remember piping a drive off the tee, reaching down to pick up my tee, and hearing the caddy go "uh oh" and then watching as my ball sailed out to sea.

    My favorite Kiawah course is Cassique, which is private and a Watson design. But, the real low country gems are (in my personal favorite order) Yeamans Hall (Seth Raynor design and an absolute gem of a course), Briars Creek, and Bulls Bay. If anyone finds themselves in Charleston for a long weekend, I am usually (though not always) in the vicinity, and would love to share Briars with you.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

  17. #57
    Played the Ocean Course four times and fortunately the wind was never a factor on any of the days. Loved the fact that you can ground your club anywhere as there are no sand traps. If you somehow hit your ball into the ocean, you can actually hit it from there without a penalty LOL

    3 other favorite courses that I played were Shinnacock , private but played at 2 outings there and for a real challenge Bethpage Black. The latter is a walking only course but they do have caddies. It is a difficult course to walk and carry and if you love fescue , you will love Bethpage Black.

    Finally , Pinehurst # 2 where I played for a 65th birthday present. Also a walking course, but you must take a caddy. The caddy told us to leave our wedges in the bag as we would be chipping with our drivers and 3 woods because the way many of the greens were . I played it before the design was changed for the last US Open.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Thinking I'll get the daughter's beau a couple gift certificates for rounds at Bethpage. Does that sound good to you nearby linksters?
    Sounds like CharlestonDave endorses this idea. I do, too, even though I haven't played any of the Bethpage courses. Black is on my wanna-play list.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Thinking I'll get the daughter's beau a couple gift certificates for rounds at Bethpage. Does that sound good to you nearby linksters?
    I could be mistaken here but I think you have to be registered and then keep calling to get a tee time at Bethpage Black. The Red Course there is quite good and not as difficult as the Black.

    THe new Trump run course , he does not own it , is also quite good . It is under the Whitestone Bridge in the Bronx, a links style course with caddies.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Thinking I'll get the daughter's beau a couple gift certificates for rounds at Bethpage. Does that sound good to you nearby linksters?
    Is he a good player? If so, this is a great idea. If not, it may or may not be a good idea, depending on his frustration tolerance.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Similar Threads

  1. Golf / Golf Clubs
    By fuse in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-28-2019, 12:08 AM
  2. Duke Womens' Golf Gracing the Golf Channel
    By sagegrouse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-03-2015, 03:38 PM
  3. U.S. Open (Golf)
    By nmduke2001 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 06-23-2015, 12:39 AM
  4. Fore!
    By Verga3 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 01:12 AM
  5. I think I could take this guy in golf
    By rthomas in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 11:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •