Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post

If you want to play golf in central Va or near Durham I may be able to join you and we'll have some fun!!
    Same goes for Atlanta. But, perhaps more fun, if anyone finds themselves in the Charleston area around a holiday weekend let me know. I am usually in the area, and would love to play some golf. Typically we play at Briars Creek, but there are any number of great options.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Same goes for Atlanta. But, perhaps more fun, if anyone finds themselves in the Charleston area around a holiday weekend let me know. I am usually in the area, and would love to play some golf. Typically we play at Briars Creek, but there are any number of great options.
    Ditto the Triad. Some solid golf courses around here. A nice concentration of them in/around Clemmons, for example.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Golf in the Old Dominion

Going to Dominion Charity Classic (Champions Tour) tomorrow here in town to visit some old buds. Looking forward to seeing them. On tv early afternoon.
    Was thinking of coming to Derm, but the wife will be out-of-town so I'm staying closer by. Hoping Duke can beat/hang with VT!!

James River Course at CCV tomorrow is a great, great course. Designed by Wm. Flynn and redone by Rees Jones and later by Lester George, it's an excellent test of golf. I was lucky enough to qualify for the US Amateur there in '84, shooting 65-74. I failed to make match play at the AM in Enid, Ok by 3 shots. Fun experience.

Favorite courses played-please start this conversation. I don't want to start it as I've been spoiled. As in, Augusta National to start. Many others. I'll chime in later.

GO DUKE!!!!!

Playing Miami Beach Golf Club this morning in connection with an ABA event. Review to follow.

I'm going Pinehurst No. 2 as my favorite course played to date, followed by Kiawah's Ocean Course.
    Last edited by Tripping William; 11-05-2016 at 06:46 AM.

I'd have to go with Pebble Beach as my favorite of the courses I've been fortunate enough to play. I actually got to play it twice in about a 3-week period of time back in the early 90s.

Duketaylor, I live in Chesapeake and play Nansemond River once in a while. It's a nice course, but of the Suffolk courses, I actually prefer Riverfront, and it would be closer to where you live, too.
    I was in the Richmond area about three weeks ago and played a course called Independence golf club, I think. It is in the Midlothian area. If you haven't already played it you should give it a try sometime. Beautiful course and very well maintained.
    Last edited by rsvman; 11-05-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Typo

Miami Beach Golf Club

Originally established as "Bayshore" in 1923, the current course is an Arthur Hills re-design that is in fantastic condition right now. A par-72 (35-37) track, it has a fun mix of some reachable par-5's, short'ish and long'ish par-4's, and some fun par-3's. Also has a nice balance of water and sand-traps as hazards. I have played this course two or three times before today, but enjoyed it again (even if I didn't score terribly well).

I've only played a few rounds of golf in my life, and all at the Roaring Gap Club. A fun course I've walked (and biked) thousands of times. Apparently a nice course. There's a fun par 3 where they scraped off the top of a steep hill for the green. Stick it, or try to chip up to it (again and again and again, alas).

Golf's a game I'm afraid to get too involved in - the few rounds I've played have shown me that I can get way too involved. I'll stick to mountain biking and sailing.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I've only played a few rounds of golf in my life, and all at the Roaring Gap Club. A fun course I've walked (and biked) thousands of times. Apparently a nice course. There's a fun par 3 where they scraped off the top of a steep hill for the green. Stick it, or try to chip up to it (again and again and again, alas).

Golf's a game I'm afraid to get too involved in - the few rounds I've played have shown me that I can get way too involved. I'll stick to mountain biking and sailing.

-jk
    I have not played Roaring Gap, but really want to. Donald Ross + mountain golf (two of my favorite things; cue the Julie Andrews earworm). I placed a charity silent auction bid on a foursome there recently but, alas, I did so too early in the evening and got outbid.

Golf a four letter word

" Obviously, Alister Macenzie is right at the top. Peachtree in Atlanta is fantastic, and though I haven't played his piece de resistance, I have also played Pasatiempo in California, which is stunning."

Macenzie, died in 1934 shortly before the first playing of The Masters which was one of his last designs. Also in California he designed Cypress Point on the Monterrey peninsula.

Bobby Jones and Robert Trent Jones Sr designed Peactree Golf Club in Atlanta in the late 40's

Olde Mill Golf Club (Laurel Fork, VA)

Speaking of mountain golf, my son and I played this course about 3 weeks ago. This Ellis Maples design from the early 70's (upgraded several years ago by his son, Dan) is located near Mabry Mill, in the same general vicinity as Primland. A really tough course, with some very tight landing areas and lots of elevation change. A fair bit of water and tricky greens, as Maples tends to do. Still, a gorgeous course in the fall. We may go stay at the condos right behind the 18th green sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    " Obviously, Alister Macenzie is right at the top. Peachtree in Atlanta is fantastic, and though I haven't played his piece de resistance, I have also played Pasatiempo in California, which is stunning."

Macenzie, died in 1934 shortly before the first playing of The Masters which was one of his last designs. Also in California he designed Cypress Point on the Monterrey peninsula.

Bobby Jones and Robert Trent Jones Sr designed Peactree Golf Club in Atlanta in the late 40's
    Learn something new every day. I didn't realize Mackenzie wasn't involved with Peachtree.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Nansemond River and Riverfront

have played neither, but want to.

Independence was recently redesigned and I hear it's excellent-played it several times previously.

Cypress Creek in Smithfield is the best course I've played in Hampton Roads area. I have not played Nansemond River or Riverfront.

I've also played Sleepy Hole, Sewell's Point, Aeropines (Tomcat and Hornet), Bide-A-Wee, Cypress Point, Honey Bee and Suffolk Municipal.
    Bob Green

My review of Nansemond River and Riverfront, both in Suffolk, VA.

Nansemond River.

This is a course that has several holes right along a beautiful waterway. The 4th hole runs alongside, with the waterway on the left. The 5th hole is a monster of a par 4 that crosses over the water on the second shot (if you hit a good drive, lol). On the back nine, the 13th hole runs with the water on the right. There are two completely separate greens. The hole is long with either one, but it's a monster with the leftward green. The green to the right offers a last-minute dogleg and sits right on the water. There is often a stiff breeze, and if it's into your face, the hole is almost impossible to reach in two. The 16th is a short, slightly uphill par 3 that sits right on the water and has a gorgeous view throughout. Finally, the 17th hole has an "island green" (it's really a peninsula, but you get the idea). It's a par 4. From the tee, the shot is blind, as the fairway goes away from the water and is uphill. It crests about halfway to the hole, and then goes slightly downhill. The approach shot goes over the water to the island and is sharply downhill. It's a pretty spectacular hole. The course ends with a par 5 that is reachable for long hitters, and even for us short-knockers if the wind is trailing.
    The course is kept in pretty good condition year round, the price is reasonable, and it offers a pretty good test of golf. The greens are pretty nice, but not to the quality or challenge of the greens at Riverfront.

Riverfront.

This course is also mostly about the marsh/water and the spectacular views, but also offers a very stiff challenge for the golfer. The third hole is a par 5 that goes out toward and ends right by the water. The 4th hole is a gorgeous mid-length par 3 in which the tee shot is all carry over the marsh. On the back nine, the 11th is a beautiful short downhill par 3 with a lake on the right side. The 12th is, for me, an impossibly long par 4 that I score better on if I play it as a par 5. The tee box is down by the water and you hit up to a wide fairway. An approach shot from your drive has to fly over some of the water, and you have to really nut a drive to be able to go for the green. 13 is a difficult par 3 over a ravine.
    The course gets really amazing thereafter, especially 14 and 15. Fourteen is a long-ish par 5 that heads straight out toward the marsh and then dogs left to the green; approach shots can be blind because they are downhill. Fifteen goes right along the marsh/river its entire length. Wildlife including blue herons and snowy egrets, as well as deer, etc., are often visible. The view from the entire 15th hole is spectacular. The 18th is a tough par 5 finisher that requires a solid drive in order to clear water that bisects the fairway. If you don't hit a good drive, you are forced to layup short of the water, which leaves a long approach shot.
    The course is always in really good shape. The greens are the star of the show. Most are large and undulating, some with impressive ridges and/or slopes. They are smooth and relatively fast. Definitely a challenge for even a good putter.
    Well worth the green fee. In my opinion, a better course than Nansemond River, but they are both nice.

On a scale of 1 for the worst cow pasture muni to 10 for Pebble Beach or Augusta National, I'd give Nansemond River a 7 and Riverfront an 8.

(I have also played Cypress Creek in Smithfield several times, and I think Riverfront is on par with Cypress Creek as a golf course. The scenery is better at Riverfront. You can't go wrong with either course.)
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Major design changes coming to Pinehurst

Some big golf course news from the Sandills today. The relevant items:

(1) Gil Hanse has been hired to re-design No. 4. No. 4 was originally a Donald Ross design from 1919, which was renovated by Robert Trent Jones in the 1950s, by Reese Jones in the 1980s, and most recently by Tom Fazio in the 1990s. Lots of pot bunkers currently and, when the azaleas are in bloom, the par-3 fourth hole is about as gorgeous as it gets this side of Augusta National. But Hanse is contemplating a wholesale renovation, it seems.

(2) What are currently the first holes of No. 3 and No. 5 will be turned into a Hanse-designed "short course."

(3) What is currently the second hole of No. 3 will be reversed in direction, and serve as the new first hole for No. 5.

(4) No. 3 will be re-worked into a par 68 course. They'll have to find a way to add two holes somewhere, since the first and second holes of that course are being re-purposed.

(5) Some less-major revisions will be made to No. 1.

(6) The fun putting area known as Thistle Du will be expanded and relocated closer to the clubhouse, presumably because it borders the first tee of No. 4 and they want to have that land available for Hanse's redesign.

(7) Some less-major renovations to Maniac Hill (the driving range).

(8) No. 7's greens will be changed to bermuda.

(9) All of this work is to commence, in some fashion, in December, starting with the closing and re-working of No. 3, which will re-open in the spring of 2017. The short course should be open in the fall of 2017, and the new No. 4 will debut in 2018.

So . . . there you go.

Nothing to #2?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Nothing to #2?
    Not according to today's announcement. My "from the cheap seats" sense is that the powers-that-be are very satisfied with what Coore & Crenshaw did with No. 2.

No changes announced for Nos. 6, 8 or 9, either, but those are all "off-site," as it were. I did see another article that said that they may have a "No. 10" in the offing, but later. Per the article, in 2011, Pinehurst purchased The Pit from foreclosure, and have Coore & Crenshaw noodling on it. But they want to undertake this round of changes at the main clubhouse area first.

Ballyhack Golf Club (Roanoke, VA)

Roanoke (Mrs. Tripping's hometown) has increasingly become a bit of a public golf wasteland. I believe the only non-country club courses in the vicinity now are Hanging Rock in Salem and Blue Hills in Botetourt County. Well, several weeks ago I was able to finagle our (and, by our, I mean my 12-year-old's & my) way onto the much ballyhooed Ballyhack. It is a relatively new private course tucked away in a hard-to-access corner of Roanoke County, near Garden City.

Designed by Lester George, the course is billed as a Scottish "highlands-style" design. For this course, that means, basically, no trees (aside from the sycamore on #8), lots of elevation changes, and spots where you just cannot hit it & still hope to score. The trouble is, quite a number of those spots are blind to someone playing the course for the first time without a clue. For instance, on the 9th hole, a medium-length hitter cannot pull driver from the forward tees without bounding into major brushy stuff running all the way across the fairway. Nothing indicates that, though, and so one must learn by hard experience either to lay up short of that or try to bomb it another 40 yards beyond it. And we absolutely, positively were unable even to locate the forward tees on No. 15: They were nowhere to be found.

So, we (bally) hacked it around pretty good. The clubhouse is really well-appointed, but it was pretty pricey for an "outsider," and I'm not sure I'd play it again (although I suspect it is very scenic when the autumn leaves are turning). One of those things that's good to do once, I suppose.

Westlake Golf & Country Club (Hardy, VA)

When I said that Roanoke had become almost a public course wasteland, I didn't mean the "ex-urbs" that are Smith Mountain Lake. There are two rather good courses-you-can-play there (this one, and Mariner's Landing), and a pair of really nice country clubs (Water's Edge and Waterfront).

In any event, I had not played Westlake in a number of years, and had forgotten what a quality course it is. Designed by Russell Breeden, it is a really fun "mountain course" that can play 6500 or so from the tips (although we played at the white tees, measuring 5800 yards). Quite a bit of elevation change on a number of holes (the par-5 5th hole comes to mind, for instance), and a handful of blind shots (like your third shot to the green on the par-5 8th, which has a target posted behind the hole and near the trees behind the green, so you can have a sense of there to hit it). The greens were in really good shape, and quite tough if you found yourself above the hole (as I did, for instance, on the very first hole).

The autumn leaves were somewhat past peak, but still pretty scenic. If you're a golfer and visit the SML area, this is a must-play.

Lonnie Poole Course in Raleigh

Scooped up 4 free passes to Lonnie Poole, NC State's home course today. Never played, but a co-worker(UNC grad, but I'll still believe him) says it's pretty tough. He consistently shoots in the mid 70's, so it'll probably chew me up and spit me out. I haven't played since early summer, so I better get out the David Leadbetter video, and schedule a chiropractor appointment before I go!