Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Really bored to be reading a golf thread and stumble across two dead links. Thank you, jimmymax! Great tunes. Apologies to the golfers. Carry on. Carry on. Greens always break towards water and so on...

Bird song. Wow. So good.

Head down, feet shoulder width apart. Pull through with that left hand.

I hate water holes. My ball always ends up making a ripple in still waters.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    As someone who grew up on munis with shaggy fairways and driving ranges with mats only, I resemble that remark! When I play on nice courses that have fairways faster than most greens, I’d much rather be in the first cut. It’s been a lifelong journey to try to hit down and through iron shots.
    My main complaint is having a tee box where your feet are below the ball(right handed player). I used to draw my tee shots but I began to hit a pull hook. You know, the one that nose dives into the ground and many times goes out of play. Years ago, I worked real hard over one summer to learn how to hit a fade(safer shot). I now can fade the ball. Bit if the tee box is set up for a draw, I have a tendency to pull the ball(not a draw). There should be no reason for a course to have tee boxes like that. Ball in the fairway, I'm ok with that but not on a tee box where a driver is required.

Fore and GoDuke!

I've gotten to play Sweetens Cove a couple times over the past year or so. Sweetens is a 9 hole course outside Chattanooga that, until a few years ago, was a complete dog track. It was bought by a group including Peyton Manning and they have turned it into a hipster golf paradise. The course is incredibly fun and highly recommended for anyone who has a chance to get out there and play. They sell 50 daily passes per day and are often booked out several months in advance. SC is not stuffy and stuck-up golf. You are more likely to find someone playing bare foot with their Jones carry bag than an old school country club type.

*Edit: They have a fun tradition that first timers take a shot of bourbon after 9 holes. You are expected to bring a bottle every time after your first round to help keep their stock full. They also have their own labeled bourbon (which isn't great but is still a fun touch).
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    I've gotten to play Sweetens Cove a couple times over the past year or so. Sweetens is a 9 hole course outside Chattanooga that, until a few years ago, was a complete dog track. It was bought by a group including Peyton Manning and they have turned it into a hipster golf paradise. The course is incredibly fun and highly recommended for anyone who has a chance to get out there and play. They sell 50 daily passes per day and are often booked out several months in advance. SC is not stuffy and stuck-up golf. You are more likely to find someone playing bare foot with their Jones carry bag than an old school country club type.

*Edit: They have a fun tradition that first timers take a shot of bourbon after 9 holes. You are expected to bring a bottle every time after your first round to help keep their stock full. They also have their own labeled bourbon (which isn't great but is still a fun touch).
    I have heard raves about Sweetens Cove from various people I trust highly about such things. Definitely up there on my list of places to get to.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I'm not a golfer but ran across a story about this course recently and wanted to share. The link is actually to a story from a couple of years ago but it covers the history of one man's journey to bring sports to a downtrodden neighborhood.

https://www.gcmonline.com/course/env...lf-kansas-city

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I'm not a golfer but ran across a story about this course recently and wanted to share. The link is actually to a story from a couple of years ago but it covers the history of one man's journey to bring sports to a downtrodden neighborhood.

https://www.gcmonline.com/course/env...lf-kansas-city
    What a great story! Thanks for sharing. If only Tom Watson could have helped facilitate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    What a great story! Thanks for sharing. If only Tom Watson could have helped facilitate it.
    Nephew John used to have a golf shop - custom fit clubs and refurbished used clubs. He is hoping to reach out and see if he can help in anyway.

The Revival at the Crescent Club in Salisbury, NC, is a bit quirky and in kinda rough shape. But, IMO, the 8th hole is the bestest par-3 on the planet because it bestowed upon me ....

... wait for it ....

... MY FIRST EVER ACE!!

The Revival at the Crescent Club in Salisbury, NC, is a bit quirky and in kinda rough shape. But, IMO, the 8th hole is the bestest par-3 on the planet because it bestowed upon me ...

... wait for it ...

... MY FIRST EVER ACE!!

Congrats!!! And with Covid you don’t have to go into the clubhouse and buy everyone drinks...

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Congrats!!! And with Covid you don’t have to go into the clubhouse and buy everyone drinks...
    My witness was under-age, on top of it all. Cheapest ace ever! 😂

The Revival at the Crescent Club in Salisbury, NC, is a bit quirky and in kinda rough shape. But, IMO, the 8th hole is the bestest par-3 on the planet because it bestowed upon me ...

... wait for it ...

... MY FIRST EVER ACE!!

Congratulations! That had to feel amazing!!!!

I just got back from my yearly (except last year) golf trip to Myrtle Beach. Between my Monday golf league, an extra round I played with a friend in Myrtle Wednesday and the 4 rounds of my trip, I played 6 of 7 days last week. After my 9 hole golf league round tonight, I might not even look at a golf club for a while!

... wait for it ...

... MY FIRST EVER ACE!!

Congratulations! Was it a good shot?

One time I witnessed an ace off a bad shot. Back in the day when some courses had rakes that had pointy things on the end and you stuck them into the ground so that the rake handle was standing straight up....downhill short-ish mountain par three with trees and a river behind. The guy in the group in front of me absolutely skulls an 8 iron....it is flying at high speed and a low level, sure to end up in the river...but then the ball (spherical, mind you) strikes this thin, cylindrical handle of a bunker rake that is standing in front of the bunker on the left side of the green, bounces off said rake handle onto the green and trundles about 50 feet across and up the green to the back left hold location, slams into the flagstick, and drops into the cup. For reals. Unbelievable shot. If I hadn't seen it myself, I wouldn't have believed it. So I said, "Do that again!" Everybody had a good laugh.

I have had one ace myself. I was 17. It was the second hole at my favorite course. An uphill par 3 with a field full of rocks behind it. I struck the iron shot completely pure and it covered the flag the entire way there. I was the only one who knew that I had hit the ball too far; everybody else thought it was a perfect shot. I kept yelling, "bite!" "sit!" etc. while it flew. Because the hole went uphill, we can't actually see the putting surface, just the top half of the flag.

So anyway, walking up there my buddy is saying, 'that ball is in the hole, man' and I am saying, 'no, it's in the rock quarry.' As the green comes into view there is no ball on its surface. I say to him, "See? I told you. I'm in the quarry." He says, "humor me and take a look in the hole on your way back there." So I did. And there was the ball in the bottom of the cup. And here's the coolest part: the ball mark was on the edge of the cup. The ball landed approximately 1/2 inch short of the actual cup, which is how it managed to stay down in the hole; it dug through the grass and dirt and by the time it struck the flagstick it was actually down inside the hole already. So, in essence, my ace was a slam dunk, which is pretty rare.

Anyway, congrats again. I'm sure you hit a good shot and were rewarded with the hole-in-one, rather than bouncing the ball off a rock or off another player's ball on the green, or whatever. But we CRAVE details, man!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

... wait for it ...

... MY FIRST EVER ACE!!

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Congratulations! Was it a good shot?

One time I witnessed an ace off a bad shot. Back in the day when some courses had rakes that had pointy things on the end and you stuck them into the ground so that the rake handle was standing straight up...downhill short-ish mountain par three with trees and a river behind. The guy in the group in front of me absolutely skulls an 8 iron...it is flying at high speed and a low level, sure to end up in the river...but then the ball (spherical, mind you) strikes this thin, cylindrical handle of a bunker rake that is standing in front of the bunker on the left side of the green, bounces off said rake handle onto the green and trundles about 50 feet across and up the green to the back left hold location, slams into the flagstick, and drops into the cup. For reals. Unbelievable shot. If I hadn't seen it myself, I wouldn't have believed it. So I said, "Do that again!" Everybody had a good laugh.

I have had one ace myself. I was 17. It was the second hole at my favorite course. An uphill par 3 with a field full of rocks behind it. I struck the iron shot completely pure and it covered the flag the entire way there. I was the only one who knew that I had hit the ball too far; everybody else thought it was a perfect shot. I kept yelling, "bite!" "sit!" etc. while it flew. Because the hole went uphill, we can't actually see the putting surface, just the top half of the flag.

So anyway, walking up there my buddy is saying, 'that ball is in the hole, man' and I am saying, 'no, it's in the rock quarry.' As the green comes into view there is no ball on its surface. I say to him, "See? I told you. I'm in the quarry." He says, "humor me and take a look in the hole on your way back there." So I did. And there was the ball in the bottom of the cup. And here's the coolest part: the ball mark was on the edge of the cup. The ball landed approximately 1/2 inch short of the actual cup, which is how it managed to stay down in the hole; it dug through the grass and dirt and by the time it struck the flagstick it was actually down inside the hole already. So, in essence, my ace was a slam dunk, which is pretty rare.

Anyway, congrats again. I'm sure you hit a good shot and were rewarded with the hole-in-one, rather than bouncing the ball off a rock or off another player's ball on the green, or whatever. But we CRAVE details, man!
    About 150-yard 8-iron, over water, with a backstop and a little breeze helping right. Very well struck. My son (who was playing a practice round got his HS regional tournament) had hit a pair ahead of me, both of which we saw on the green. We tracked mine as it followed along toward the second (closer) ball. We did not see mine drop. As we drove up to the green, I kept saying, “There are only two balls on that green!” Checked the hole and, sure enoug, a TaylorMade TP5 with a pair of green dots was sitting at the bottom of the cup. Fun stuff!

About 150-yard 8-iron, over water, with a backstop and a little breeze helping right. Very well struck. My son (who was playing a practice round got his HS regional tournament) had hit a pair ahead of me, both of which we saw on the green. We tracked mine as it followed along toward the second (closer) ball. We did not see mine drop. As we drove up to the green, I kept saying, “There are only two balls on that green!” Checked the hole and, sure enoug, a TaylorMade TP5 with a pair of green dots was sitting at the bottom of the cup. Fun stuff!
    Congrats! I'm still hoping for my first one. Had played 1-2 times per year since I was 16, but only started playing a bit more frequently the last few years before COVID hit. Hoping to get out a bit more now that my son is in school and chase down that elusive dream!

Sweet! Thanks for the story. Tried to spork, but "must spread comments around."
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Sweet! Thanks for the story. Tried to spork, but "must spread comments around."
    Got you covered.

About 150-yard 8-iron, over water, with a backstop and a little breeze helping right. Very well struck. My son (who was playing a practice round got his HS regional tournament) had hit a pair ahead of me, both of which we saw on the green. We tracked mine as it followed along toward the second (closer) ball. We did not see mine drop. As we drove up to the green, I kept saying, “There are only two balls on that green!” Checked the hole and, sure enough, a TaylorMade TP5 with a pair of green dots was sitting at the bottom of the cup. Fun stuff!
    I'm not sure this makes sense. I mean 150 yards requires a 7-iron but since it's over water, clubbing up to a 6-iron is required And naturally that's the point at which you hit that 6 pure...well you know the rest of that story...

My only Ace came in September 2019 at The Crossings in Durham. I hit into an island green from about 120 yards on a wet day. The ball landed about 6 inches behind the hole and because it was so wet it all but plugged and then bounced backwards into the hole. Had the greens been firm, I would have been lucky to stay on the green! Funny thing is that I was using a Cleveland "C" wedge (designed for chipping - shorter staff, upright, loft of an 8 iron)...I know that club isn't meant to be hit with a full swing but I'm money with that thing from 120 (I hit behind the ball and it has a lot of bounce) with a full swing!