Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I'm not sure this makes sense. I mean 150 yards requires a 7-iron but since it's over water, clubbing up to a 6-iron is required And naturally that's the point at which you hit that 6 pure...well you know the rest of that story...

My only Ace came in September 2019 at The Crossings in Durham. I hit into an island green from about 120 yards on a wet day. The ball landed about 6 inches behind the hole and because it was so wet it all but plugged and then bounced backwards into the hole. Had the greens been firm, I would have been lucky to stay on the green! Funny thing is that I was using a Cleveland "C" wedge (designed for chipping - shorter staff, upright, loft of an 8 iron)...I know that club isn't meant to be hit with a full swing but I'm money with that thing from 120 (I hit behind the ball and it has a lot of bounce) with a full swing!
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are the only person in history with an Ace from a chipper - send that thing to the World Golf Hall of fame in St Augustine, it should be in a display case! That's awesome. I've been playing since I was 16 (so close to 30 years now) and am still waiting for my first. Been close a handful of times, but generally not a good enough iron player to scare the hole too often.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are the only person in history with an Ace from a chipper - send that thing to the World Golf Hall of fame in St Augustine, it should be in a display case! That's awesome. I've been playing since I was 16 (so close to 30 years now) and am still waiting for my first. Been close a handful of times, but generally not a good enough iron player to scare the hole too often.
    Yeah, I could be the only one. In my defense that chipper is built better than most, it's marketed as a wedge and I mostly use it to bump and run around the greens (and yes, I'm aware that if I didn't suck I could use a lofted iron). I have a Gap wedge that has the same "Smartsole" as the chipper so when I'm 120 in, I'm pretty much using one of those two Cleveland clubs unless I need to go over something and stop quickly in which case I have a 58 degree Sand Wedge (Callaway Sure Out). I'm also not a good enough iron player to scare the hole too often...so happy I had a witness that day!

I'm not sure this makes sense. I mean 150 yards requires a 7-iron but since it's over water, clubbing up to a 6-iron is required And naturally that's the point at which you hit that 6 pure...well you know the rest of that story...

My only Ace came in September 2019 at The Crossings in Durham. I hit into an island green from about 120 yards on a wet day. The ball landed about 6 inches behind the hole and because it was so wet it all but plugged and then bounced backwards into the hole. Had the greens been firm, I would have been lucky to stay on the green! Funny thing is that I was using a Cleveland "C" wedge (designed for chipping - shorter staff, upright, loft of an 8 iron)...I know that club isn't meant to be hit with a full swing but I'm money with that thing from 120 (I hit behind the ball and it has a lot of bounce) with a full swing!
    The closest I've come to holing out from the tee is on two separate occasions. Once at Knight's Play on hole #20, I hit my 7-iron from ~150 and it landed 8-10 inches from the cup on a direct line. Unfortunately, it kicked off the flagstick and rolled a few feet away. I was about 8-10 inches short of the slam dunk, and about 2 feet long from having it bounce/roll in.

The other time was at the Hillandale, but comes with an asterisk. I dumped one in the water, then hit my third from the tee box to within 18 inches.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Playing since I was 10, and still waiting. Closest was 2.5 feet, ball mark 6 inches. (Played with my parents, best witnesses I could have had!). I guess I actually have to get out there and play. (if my back allows.)

This was a fun story with a nice little Duke connection: https://www.thestate.com/sports/spt-...250976504.html
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    This was a fun story with a nice little Duke connection: https://www.thestate.com/sports/spt-...250976504.html
    Thanks for sharing. That's a great story.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The closest I've come to holing out from the tee is on two separate occasions. Once at Knight's Play on hole #20, I hit my 7-iron from ~150 and it landed 8-10 inches from the cup on a direct line. Unfortunately, it kicked off the flagstick and rolled a few feet away. I was about 8-10 inches short of the slam dunk, and about 2 feet long from having it bounce/roll in.

The other time was at the Hillandale, but comes with an asterisk. I dumped one in the water, then hit my third from the tee box to within 18 inches.
    When I think about Knight's Play all I think is that if you don't hit the green there with your tee shot, you are in for an adventure! A friend of mine plays there most weeks but I only make it out there a few times a year (40 minute drive for me from LeesvilleRd/I-540, 10 minute drive for him).

I always seem to struggle on the Par 3's at Hillendale. The 4th hole isn't that long but I always find a way to screw it up.

When I think about Knight's Play all I think is that if you don't hit the green there with your tee shot, you are in for an adventure! A friend of mine plays there most weeks but I only make it out there a few times a year (40 minute drive for me from LeesvilleRd/I-540, 10 minute drive for him).

I always seem to struggle on the Par 3's at Hillendale. The 4th hole isn't that long but I always find a way to screw it up.
    I had gone probably 15-20 years without playing Hillandale (after I moved from Durham to W-S), until we were able to sneak-in the front 9 there last spring. I had forgotten how funky the 4th green is. Like, really funky.

I'll go ahead with a more fulsome review of The Revival at the Crescent Golf Club in Salisbury, NC.

I think this was a longstanding Salisbury course, winding through a nice residential neighborhood, that had fallen into disrepair. I believe someone has recently purchased it and is making upgrade efforts, hence "Revival" in the name. It's on the short'ish side, with the tips playing 6800 yards and the white tees measuring 6300. Although the layout is a little quirky (some pretty narrow landing areas on some holes, some "interesting" use of water hazards in others), the bones are quite good. But it remains in sketchy shape, borderline "goat track." Some putting surfaces are really, really patchy, most fringes are a bit dicey, and some fairways (like the par-5 6th) have been overrun by strange grass strains. Lots of poa annua in the fairways and rough.

Still, a fun course to play and reasonably priced in accordance with its condition (meaning relatively inexpensive). And it's home to the best par 3 in all the world . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I had gone probably 15-20 years without playing Hillandale (after I moved from Durham to W-S), until we were able to sneak-in the front 9 there last spring. I had forgotten how funky the 4th green is. Like, really funky.
    The Hillandale was where I got my first par and birdie of my life. We didn't play there a ton in college (or shortly after), but it was always fun. I also made several outings to the now-gone Lakeshore in the RTP area. The third hole there was host to my two longest made putts: each 40+ feet; each for double-bogey .

Knight's Play is definitely interesting for a par-3 course. The greens undulate a lot, and as you said if you miss the green things get rough. I try to mix in ~10 rounds there per year these days along with 2-3 regular courses per year, although this past year it was 0 regular courses.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The Hillandale was where I got my first par and birdie of my life. We didn't play there a ton in college (or shortly after), but it was always fun. I also made several outings to the now-gone Lakeshore in the RTP area. The third hole there was host to my two longest made putts: each 40+ feet; each for double-bogey .

Knight's Play is definitely interesting for a par-3 course. The greens undulate a lot, and as you said if you miss the green things get rough. I try to mix in ~10 rounds there per year these days along with 2-3 regular courses per year, although this past year it was 0 regular courses.
    Lakeshore is essentially where I learned to play golf. Hillendale is a good place to score if you have a good driving day. We play whites and if I'm hitting my driver decent, I have wedges into most of the greens. A good friend of mine is a better golfer than I am and he just finds Hillendale boring, and I get it. Tripping William, you are right about that #4 green being funky but after all these years, I'd like to think I could figure it out. It's narrow and long so you have to pick the right club, go right at all and you're in the creek, go left and there's trees, the cart path and a bunker. I've found all of it over the years!

Lakeshore is essentially where I learned to play golf. Hillendale is a good place to score if you have a good driving day. We play whites and if I'm hitting my driver decent, I have wedges into most of the greens. A good friend of mine is a better golfer than I am and he just finds Hillendale boring, and I get it. Tripping William, you are right about that #4 green being funky but after all these years, I'd like to think I could figure it out. It's narrow and long so you have to pick the right club, go right at all and you're in the creek, go left and there's trees, the cart path and a bunker. I've found all of it over the years!
    Hillandale will always have a special place in my heart. Bear with me. My parents divorced when I was 12, and my dad took a job teaching school for the Department of Defense in Germany (first in Berlin and then, after the Wall fell, in Kaiserslautern). He would come home every other summer, and I'd go visit him during the summers that he didn't come to the States. The summer I moved to Durham for law school (1993) was a summer in the States, and I talked him in to flying to NC with me to find an apartment, get the lay of the land, etc. We played Hillandale at least twice and, in their pro shop, he decided it was time for him to order a new set of irons (one of the very first in the Cleveland line of irons, which he ordered largely on the basis of the "patent pending" stamped on them). He passed away in 2007 way too young, and I'll never forget playing Hillandale with him & his "old" clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Hillandale will always have a special place in my heart. Bear with me. My parents divorced when I was 12, and my dad took a job teaching school for the Department of Defense in Germany (first in Berlin and then, after the Wall fell, in Kaiserslautern). He would come home every other summer, and I'd go visit him during the summers that he didn't come to the States. The summer I moved to Durham for law school (1993) was a summer in the States, and I talked him in to flying to NC with me to find an apartment, get the lay of the land, etc. We played Hillandale at least twice and, in their pro shop, he decided it was time for him to order a new set of irons (one of the very first in the Cleveland line of irons, which he ordered largely on the basis of the "patent pending" stamped on them). He passed away in 2007 way too young, and I'll never forget playing Hillandale with him & his "old" clubs.
    You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Tripping William again.

My Dad plays at a course down in SC that is probably the worst course I play on (now that the other course he used to play on closed...it was actually much worse). Because of Covid I haven't been down there in a year! I can't wait to play that terrible course with my Dad!

Hillendale and Lakeshore aren't great courses but as I started playing in the mid 90's (with friends) I played them a good bit, they hold good memories (not as good as yours but my point is...I get it and respect it).

Bumping this thread up to note that you guys have much more acrimonious courses than we do:https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/07/us/ge...now/index.html

Kiskiack Golf Club just north of Williamsburg, VA.

I had the opportunity of playing this track a couple of weeks ago. I have played it maybe twice or three times before, but it had been at least five years since I had played it, so it was almost like I was playing it for the first time.

This is a gorgeous course set on green rolling hills. The area north of the clubhouse is a large grassy field; after the round I saw about 15-18 deer running across it.

Anyway, the course is not long, but some of the holes are relatively narrow. There are a lot of hazards, including water, wild areas, and bunkers. Placing your ball is important here.

I was impressed with the condition of the course. The fairways were green and beautiful; some of the lies were a little tight. The greens were just fantastic; lots of interesting slopes and many multi-tiered greens. They putted very fast for a public course; probably about an 11 on the stimpmeter, although I am just making an educated guess there.

The signature hole is number 11, which is a par 3. From the back tees, it plays about 190-205 and is entirely over a lake. The other tees lie just left of the lake and offer spectacular views without requiring such a long, forced carry. Other holes that really stood out were the 9th hole and the 18th hole. The 9th hole is a short par 4 that really requires either a great tee shot or strategic course management. It is all uphill. The entire right side is the wilderness and a steep hill. If you hit your ball over there, you will likely not find it. On the right is a lake. There is actually a fairly generous landing area for your tee shot if you hit the right club. I chose 4-iron, and then pretended there was a green and a flagstick in the middle of the fairway. I hit a perfect shot and had only a 9-iron in.

The 18th hole is a short par 5 but the first shot plays over water and wild grasses and there is a bunker on the left side near where you would want your drive to end up. The tee box is elevated and the hole goes downward for the first 170 yards or so, then steeply uphill the entire rest of the way. From the tee box you have an expansive view of the large lake and all the surrounding wild areas (the course is NOT near homes at all). Really beautiful. Then, like I said, the rest of the course is sharply uphill. Club selection is difficult. The green is large and two-tiered and has a lot of break on most putts. The only exception is if you end up directly below the hole and can putt straight uphill. Otherwise, every putt on this green is very challenging. I hit a killer drive (best of the day) and then a 5-iron right to the lower part of the upper tier. I had about a 55-foot putt for eagle, but it broke about 10 feet and was very difficult. Prior to hitting the first putt, a three-putt par seemed likely. But then I hit a fantastic lag putt that left me about 2 feet from the hole for what looked like a sure birdie. Sadly, it was a downhill, sharp breaking putt and the wind was blowing pretty hard, moving the flag all around and making me wonder if there would be room for the ball to actually go into the hole. I should have stopped, taken a deep breath, removed the pin, set myself, and made the birdie putt. Instead, I hit at it rather indecisively and lipped it out on the low side, so it became a three-putt par after all. Sigh.

Anyway, aside from that a really nice round of golf and great fun. I got the "hot deal" from GolfNow and only paid $42! Easily felt like a $85-105 course. Highly recommended.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I was playing in a Captain’s Choice at River Oaks golf courses . We were on the Bear course, hole 22., Par 3 . I made a hole in one. That day it was about 110 yds( score card says 120, but it the range finder said 110.
    I actually it the cup, damaged the cup on the fly and the ball stayed down. Yeah.
    I certainly count it as a hole in one, but don’t have a scorecard that represents my own play for the day. I’m currently like an 18 handicap.
    Has anyone else had a hole in one where it was in something like a Captain’s Choice ? No I didn’t win a car etc. I did get closest to the hole though , lol .
    I count it and bought one of those hole in one things that holds the ball. No, Titilest doesn’t give anything away either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I was playing in a Captain’s Choice at River Oaks golf courses . We were on the Bear course, hole 22., Par 3 . I made a hole in one. That day it was about 110 yds( score card says 120, but it the range finder said 110.
    I actually it the cup, damaged the cup on the fly and the ball stayed down. Yeah.
    I certainly count it as a hole in one, but don’t have a scorecard that represents my own play for the day. I’m currently like an 18 handicap.
    Has anyone else had a hole in one where it was in something like a Captain’s Choice ? No I didn’t win a car etc. I did get closest to the hole though , lol .
    I count it and bought one of those hole in one things that holds the ball. No, Titilest doesn’t give anything away either.
    Awesome shot! Congratulations!
    I hit a hole in one exactly like that years ago, but it was not in a competition.
    Closest I've ever come in a scramble is 18 inches. Worst part is that another guy in my group hit right after me and got it to 12 inches, so I didn't even win closest to the hole!
    A couple of years ago at a scramble I hit a shot that looked like it was going in because it was moving sideways and looked like it would fall in. It was actually about a foot behind the hole when it rolled by, and it ended up settling about two and a half feet away. Fortunately, I did win closest to the hole with that shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Congrats! And count it you should.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Kiskiack Golf Club just north of Williamsburg, VA.

I had the opportunity of playing this track a couple of weeks ago. I have played it maybe twice or three times before, but it had been at least five years since I had played it, so it was almost like I was playing it for the first time.

This is a gorgeous course set on green rolling hills. The area north of the clubhouse is a large grassy field; after the round I saw about 15-18 deer running across it.

Anyway, the course is not long, but some of the holes are relatively narrow. There are a lot of hazards, including water, wild areas, and bunkers. Placing your ball is important here.

I was impressed with the condition of the course. The fairways were green and beautiful; some of the lies were a little tight. The greens were just fantastic; lots of interesting slopes and many multi-tiered greens. They putted very fast for a public course; probably about an 11 on the stimpmeter, although I am just making an educated guess there.

The signature hole is number 11, which is a par 3. From the back tees, it plays about 190-205 and is entirely over a lake. The other tees lie just left of the lake and offer spectacular views without requiring such a long, forced carry. Other holes that really stood out were the 9th hole and the 18th hole. The 9th hole is a short par 4 that really requires either a great tee shot or strategic course management. It is all uphill. The entire right side is the wilderness and a steep hill. If you hit your ball over there, you will likely not find it. On the right is a lake. There is actually a fairly generous landing area for your tee shot if you hit the right club. I chose 4-iron, and then pretended there was a green and a flagstick in the middle of the fairway. I hit a perfect shot and had only a 9-iron in.

The 18th hole is a short par 5 but the first shot plays over water and wild grasses and there is a bunker on the left side near where you would want your drive to end up. The tee box is elevated and the hole goes downward for the first 170 yards or so, then steeply uphill the entire rest of the way. From the tee box you have an expansive view of the large lake and all the surrounding wild areas (the course is NOT near homes at all). Really beautiful. Then, like I said, the rest of the course is sharply uphill. Club selection is difficult. The green is large and two-tiered and has a lot of break on most putts. The only exception is if you end up directly below the hole and can putt straight uphill. Otherwise, every putt on this green is very challenging. I hit a killer drive (best of the day) and then a 5-iron right to the lower part of the upper tier. I had about a 55-foot putt for eagle, but it broke about 10 feet and was very difficult. Prior to hitting the first putt, a three-putt par seemed likely. But then I hit a fantastic lag putt that left me about 2 feet from the hole for what looked like a sure birdie. Sadly, it was a downhill, sharp breaking putt and the wind was blowing pretty hard, moving the flag all around and making me wonder if there would be room for the ball to actually go into the hole. I should have stopped, taken a deep breath, removed the pin, set myself, and made the birdie putt. Instead, I hit at it rather indecisively and lipped it out on the low side, so it became a three-putt par after all. Sigh.

Anyway, aside from that a really nice round of golf and great fun. I got the "hot deal" from GolfNow and only paid $42! Easily felt like a $85-105 course. Highly recommended.
    Great review; thanks for posting it. I'll have to remember that one if/when I'm in the Williamsburg area. And sorry about the walk-off bird . . .

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Awesome shot! Congratulations!
    I hit a hole in one exactly like that years ago, but it was not in a competition.
    Closest I've ever come in a scramble is 18 inches. Worst part is that another guy in my group hit right after me and got it to 12 inches, so I didn't even win closest to the hole!
    A couple of years ago at a scramble I hit a shot that looked like it was going in because it was moving sideways and looked like it would fall in. It was actually about a foot behind the hole when it rolled by, and it ended up settling about two and a half feet away. Fortunately, I did win closest to the hole with that shot.
    I'd never played there in my many years of playing Myrtle Beach courses until last year and I really liked the course. So much, my wife and I played in again in May, 2021. I have a feeling it will be one of the courses I will be playing on future trips to MB.