Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    We lost power in Hampton Roads at 8 pm last night and it came back on about an hour ago. The road in front of my house looks like a river. The good news is the water level is receding.
    Bob Green

Here's a new one on this long-time hurricane tracker: Matthew's winds are still in hurricane range -- greater than 75 MPH -- but the storm is classified not as a hurricane but as a "post-tropical cyclone Matthew." Hmmm...
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's a new one on this long-time hurricane tracker: Matthew's winds are still in hurricane range -- greater than 75 MPH -- but the storm is classified not as a hurricane but as a "post-tropical cyclone Matthew." Hmmm...
    Answering my own questions about Ocracoke... here's a thread of pictures from the island. Amazingly, the store in the background of the first picture is still open.
    Let's go Duke!

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Hilton Head Island was hammered but an overhead picture suggests the surge did not breach at my part of the island.. Not allowed to return yet.

Having lunch at the WaDuke on a beautiful day at dear old Duke.

That's probably because it no longer has a well defined eye wall or other hurricane characteristics. It's just a bad storm with hurricane-force winds.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    That's probably because it no longer has a well defined eye wall or other hurricane characteristics. It's just a bad storm with hurricane-force winds.
    yup, just a structural change, like he went from being a corporation to a partnership...good riddance.

Perhaps you would agree that the terminology is a bit like calling a "spade" a "non-mechanical excavation device?"
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    wearing lime green pants is always a good idea if you think you need to be rescued...there IS a purpose to golf...
    Who do you think I am? John Daly?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Perhaps you would agree that the terminology is a bit like calling a "spade" a "non-mechanical excavation device?"
    But a spade is a mechanical excavation device!

But if you want to ge out of the hole, let it go.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Yes and the other thing that has always irritated me and will continue to do so.. the history books will reflect that Matthew never made Landfall in Florida, Georgia, and NC... yeah right... tell that to all those NC people whose homes are flooded, burned down, or torn apart by winds... to only refer to the eye as part of the hurricane is just idiotic in my view. The wind, rain, and storm surge begins with the outer bands, not the eye... but I digress...

The state is torn apart...and why people insist on trying to drive through water that has a road submerged and is flowing very powerfully blows my mind. That move and leaving the house to go out when it is not absolutely necessary are just terrible decisions that often lead to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    But if you want to ge out of the hole, let it go.
    Would you accept "un-mechanized/"
    Sage Grouse

News says 8 dead here in NC, 18 in the US. Also, the rivers down east are expected to continue to rise for around 2-3 days.

Sunday morning N&O reported 6.02" of rain for the period ending 1900 on 10/8, in the upper range of what local forecasters and the Weather Channel were predicting. There was another 0.19" that fell Saturday night through Sunday AM. I can't imagine how much more rain fell east of I-95, especially in coastal areas. Now, they have to deal with all the runoff from the central part of the state.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

nothing earth shattering...but some pretty cool shots of stormwater runoff in my neighborhood. Note: Empty space is our neighborhoods stormwater management plan. All of this is draining into Lake Wheeler just south of Raleigh.

http://imgur.com/gallery/ZatrM

We live in West Raleigh, inside the Beltline. We lost power around 11:30 A.M Saturday and still have no power; I'm at our daughter's now.

Duke Energy seems to have sent its crews somewhere else, because they aren't anywhere near our outage. In fact, they don't seem to be anywhere in Raleigh, not that I've seen and I spend a lot of time driving around because I can charge my phone that way and it's not like I have much else to do without electricity.

I can walk two blocks or less in all four directions from my house and find electricity. So, it's not like the grid is shredded. And nearby tree damage is minor.

Duke Energy's update system is useless. They are telling darn near everyone in Raleigh that power will be restored Sunday night at 11:45. Should be a heck of a power surge.

I don't think it will take that long. Certainly shouldn't. Duke energy has done that a lot recently, given a generic timetable that bears no relation to reality. They don't seem to have much inclination to actually give useful information.

But I'm pretty sure the lights aren't going to come on by themselves. Somebody is going to have to do the work and there don't seem to be a lot qualified somebodies floating around.

It was a dark day--pun intended--when regulators let Duke Energy gobble up Progress Energy. I've never been a big fan of monopolies but I can't believe C, P & L/Progress Energy would have treated the Triangle this way.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke Energy's update system is useless. They are telling darn near everyone in Raleigh that power will be restored Sunday night at 11:45. Should be a heck of a power surge.
    We've got the same answer from Duke Engery down near Lake Wheeler. It's like the quit trying. They just updated everything with 11:45p Sunday night and left it at that. So awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    We've got the same answer from Duke Engery down near Lake Wheeler. It's like the quit trying. They just updated everything with 11:45p Sunday night and left it at that. So awesome.
    Sounds like Pepco in an emergency. They just cross their fingers and hope for the best. And they have too much outside help and can't coordinate it.

-jk

14 dead now in NC. More rain fell on the sand hills around Moore and Richmond counties up to Wilson and Elizabeth City than fell on the coastline. Up to 15 inches.

Power came back on in our neighborhood around 10:30 this morning, 71 hours after going out.

Traffic lights still out in West Raleigh.