Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hurricane Matthew

Hurricane Matthew looks like it could quite possibly make landfall on the coast of the Carolinas. Governor McCrory has 66 eastern counties under a state of emergency. If you live along the coast, please take heed, listen to all reports, and do what you must do to remain safe. This storm is beginning to take a more westerly track, so please keep informed. Evacuate if ordered to do so, don't be hard headed!

Yep been following this one. Track keeps edgeing more and more west. Prayers for all those in Haiti tonight.

Matthew's quite the storm - it's trying really hard to thread the Windward Passage between Haiti and Cuba. Most hurricanes crossing the Greater Antilles lose a lot of punch (and drop a lot of rain) over the mountains.

I've always been fascinated with the looped cones: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2016.../loop_5W.shtml

-jk

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Matthew's quite the storm - it's trying really hard to thread the Windward Passage between Haiti and Cuba. Most hurricanes crossing the Greater Antilles lose a lot of punch (and drop a lot of rain) over the mountains.

I've always been fascinated with the looped cones: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2016.../loop_5W.shtml

-jk
    Currently on Hilton Head Island with Mrs. 77devil and our two labs considering how long to wait before deciding to leave or not. We were at ground zero in south Coral Gables, FL for Andrew in 1992. 11 foot tidal surge at our house and no utility provided water and power for 16 and 26 days respectively. I hope the cone moves east, but off to Home Depot to buy supplies to protect the house just in case. If you wait, it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Currently on Hilton Head Island with Mrs. 77devil and our two labs considering how long to wait before deciding to leave or not. We were at ground zero in south Coral Gables, FL for Andrew in 1992. 11 foot tidal surge at our house and no utility provided water and power for 16 and 26 days respectively. I hope the cone moves east, but off to Home Depot to buy supplies to protect the house just in case. If you wait, it's too late.
    HHI is pretty flat and low, and they are predicting several FEET of rain in the Caribbean. Don't wait too long, especially if you are trying to head north (along the path) instead of inland towards ATL or CLT.

Cuba, Haiti, and the Bahamas are going to just get hammered. The track for Florida and the Carolinas is ominous, but they might get lucky if it goes a bit east of predicted.

The Battle for Atlantis in late November might have to find another home.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Cuba, Haiti, and the Bahamas are going to just get hammered. The track for Florida and the Carolinas is ominous, but they might get lucky if it goes a bit east of predicted.

The Battle for Atlantis in late November might have to find another home.
    Yeah this is shaping up to be a destructive path because currently it shows the center staying just off the coast but close enough to impact the entire southeastern seaboard. The models are beginning to agree more and more and it looks like landfall in the US (probably NC) is now more than likely.

I just hate it for those folks in Haiti. It seems they have to endure natural disasters far too frequently and they have have almost no means to deal with it. Very sad. I was just reading last night that the earthquake and subsequent cholera outbreak killed 230,000 people.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Bought the last small generator (900w) at Walmart in New Bern today. My hopes of being able to at least make the trip to Durham and help setup/cook for tailgate are dwindling fast. Loaded up on batteries and flashlights, too, many of which were sold out. (Gas cans were also sold out unless you could settle for a 1 gallon.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    ... The Battle for Atlantis in late November might have to find another home.
    Or they'll have to find where Matthew moved the current home. Atlantis is supposed to be underwater, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Or they'll have to find where Matthew moved the current home. Atlantis is supposed to be underwater, isn't it?
    The continent of Atlantis was an island . . .

SC is evacuating the coastal areas beginning 3pm tomorrow. Mandatory too. National Guard called out. Still too early to know Matthew's exact track, but landfall between Myrtle and Wilmington seems likely. Remember Hazel? 1954, October.Nearly the same track...

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    SC is evacuating the coastal areas beginning 3pm tomorrow. Mandatory too. National Guard called out. Still too early to know Matthew's exact track, but landfall between Myrtle and Wilmington seems likely. Remember Hazel? 1954, October.Nearly the same track...
    Here's an interesting site for storm tracking: http://ruc.noaa.gov/tracks/

My buddy who is a physical oceanographer says the GFDL ensemble is usually the most reliable.

Howard

My wife and I just had our 25th anniversary and we had a vacation trip planned. We decided to go to, of all places, MIAMI! We bought plane tickets about two months ago. We are supposed to be flying out of Norfolk, VA to Miami on Friday late afternoon. Thanks a lot, Matthew. Sheesh. I finally get a chance to go on vacation and now this?!?

Not to mention that I live 20 miles from the Atlantic in Chesapeake, about 60 miles north and slightly west of the Outer Banks, so my home is likely to get hammered, too. Luckily, my wife had a tree guy take out a 100-foot tall tree that was looking a bit weak; we just got it taken down last week, before we even knew Matthew existed. So at least that baby won't be coming down onto my house!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    ...Luckily, my wife had a tree guy take out a 100-foot tall tree that was looking a bit weak; we just got it taken down last week, before we even knew Matthew existed. So at least that baby won't be coming down onto my house!
    I should print this to show the husband who is still bellyaching about the big, sick oak tree that I had taken down two years ago. That monster tree had been hit during a storm and looked ominous.
    And good luck down there. We know Sandbridge Beach well. Storm shutters being rolled down all over the peninsula.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    HHI is pretty flat and low, and they are predicting several FEET of rain in the Caribbean. Don't wait too long, especially if you are trying to head north (along the path) instead of inland towards ATL or CLT.
    Out of here tomorrow morning. Gonna be a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I just hate it for those folks in Haiti. It seems they have to endure natural disasters far too frequently and they have have almost no means to deal with it.
    The aircraft carrier USS George Washington and amphibious transport dock USS Mesa Verde sortied today, with the hospital ship USNS Comfort scheduled to sail tomorrow...

http://pilotonline.com/news/military...100ed7247.html

It's unclear if the ships will be called upon to render aid, but the Navy wanted to get them into a position to quickly help. The military also has put nine helicopters and 100 personnel in Grand Cayman Island to respond if asked to by the U.S. Agency for International Development.
    Bob Green

Latest projection is moving Matthew a bit more to the east, which is good, but still landfall along the Outer Banks still very possible.
    I mentioned Hazel. I don't recall it, was only two, but old timers speak in quiet, reserved terms of that beast. She was more powerful than Matthew will be when she hit.
    Nearly destroyed our coastline. Long Beach, for example, saw only five of 357 structures still standing after she left! Authorities said that everything from the Cape Fear River to the SC/NC line was wiped clean, like the hand of God...

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Out of here tomorrow morning. Gonna be a mess.
    Travel safe.

Good news for NC coastal areas as the updated track has shifted significantly to the east by the weekend. Florida is still on alert as any fluctuation to the west at all will have the storm making landfall there.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Good news for NC coastal areas as the updated track has shifted significantly to the east by the weekend. Florida is still on alert as any fluctuation to the west at all will have the storm making landfall there.
    As DevilDeac noted on the Army football thread, forecasts have Matthew slowing down and the potential path becoming somewhat confused. For example, Saturday AM has the storm off of north Florida. Then the potential path shows even a circular course headed back south. Hunh??!! Mebbe this bad boy will stay away from the Carolinas -- I hope.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013