Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle

    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

    The trailer is out and it looks pretty freaking awesome! Believe you get to see Vader briefly at 1:18!


  2. #2
    So, what is the percentage chance that the main chick is Rey's mom? I would put a lot of money on that.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    That looks awesome! Speaking of SW, anyone watch the animated show Rebels? It's one of my favorites, and the season finale was really good. (Vader got his mask sliced open, cool touch, and Maul (previously Darth) makes for a fun bad guy now that his character has been fleshed out way more than his brief time as the owner of the dual lightsaber wielding Sith from Phantom Menace.) The episode ended with lots of questions. I would love to see them tie Rebels into Rogue One in some way, they are only separated by a couple of years.
    The animated show covers the inception of the rebellion.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That looks awesome! Speaking of SW, anyone watch the animated show Rebels? It's one of my favorites, and the season finale was really good. (Vader got his mask sliced open, cool touch, and Maul (previously Darth) makes for a fun bad guy now that his character has been fleshed out way more than his brief time as the owner of the dual lightsaber wielding Sith from Phantom Menace.) The episode ended with lots of questions. I would love to see them tie Rebels into Rogue One in some way, they are only separated by a couple of years.
    The animated show covers the inception of the rebellion.
    Hrmmm... that looks fairly awesome. Sort of speaks to the possibilities of what these movies can do going forward.
    The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    So, what is the percentage chance that the main chick is Rey's mom? I would put a lot of money on that.
    Only issue I see is that Reys mom and family left her on Jakuu at an early age. It seems the main character in Rogue One is 15, and from what I know of the Rogue One mission they all die according to the briefing about the death star in Episode 4. So unless she gave birth at a very early age I think its a stretch.

    However I may be misremembering the briefing from episode 4 when they were about to attack the Death Star. Was it many of them died or they all died?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    Only issue I see is that Reys mom and family left her on Jakuu at an early age. It seems the main character in Rogue One is 15, and from what I know of the Rogue One mission they all die according to the briefing about the death star in Episode 4. So unless she gave birth at a very early age I think its a stretch.

    However I may be misremembering the briefing from episode 4 when they were about to attack the Death Star. Was it many of them died or they all died?
    I thought that line was in episode 6 in reference to the second Death Star - was there a similar line in 4? I don't remember, you may be right.

    But my reasoning is more meta. The decision to cast another female lead, who has turned out to be Luke's age in the story and with brunette hair, is really the crux of it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I thought that line was in episode 6 in reference to the second Death Star - was there a similar line in 4? I don't remember, you may be right.

    But my reasoning is more meta. The decision to cast another female lead, who has turned out to be Luke's age in the story and with brunette hair, is really the crux of it.
    The many Bothans died getting the plans for the second death star.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ironically, the City of Angels
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That looks awesome! Speaking of SW, anyone watch the animated show Rebels? It's one of my favorites, and the season finale was really good. (Vader got his mask sliced open, cool touch, and Maul (previously Darth) makes for a fun bad guy now that his character has been fleshed out way more than his brief time as the owner of the dual lightsaber wielding Sith from Phantom Menace.) The episode ended with lots of questions. I would love to see them tie Rebels into Rogue One in some way, they are only separated by a couple of years.
    The animated show covers the inception of the rebellion.
    It was hard for me to get into it after loving The Clone Wars. The unbelievably cheap CGI (were those really wookies early in season 1?!) and blaring the main SW themes continuously--as if afraid the name "Star Wars Rebels" wouldn't quite let audiences make the connection--didn't help. But this season has been pretty good for the most part.

    I felt that the finale was great, but hampered by too many storylines to do them all justice. Ahsoka's relationship to Anakin/Vader is an example of this. And triple the number of Inquisitors as S1 didn't make them three times as awesome, unfortunately (though the reveal of S1's origin in a previous ep. was fantastic). But the finale did make me excited for next season, and it's always nice to hear Witwer getting work, though I don't think his Maul is as good as his Emperor, let alone Galen; it sounds too much like how he played the Brother, IMO.

    I have assume that the plan is to tie it into some movie eventually. I haven't seen the Rogue One trailer yet, but as you say, that would make a lot of sense.

    I'll admit that I wasn't too excited for Rogue One when it was announced (though I was tons more excited than for a Boba Fett or Han Solo movie), but the cast caught my interest. And there were some good EU novels, so it's certainly possible to tell an interesting R1 story.

    Truthfully, I wanted (but didn't think it was very probable) Rey to be Kenobi's descendent, with a movie to show how it happened some time after Episode VIII. But yeah, it doesn't seem unlikely that they'll tie this to the main movies with her parentage. I don't know what odds I'd give on it, but it wouldn't be surprising. And even if the line were that all the agents died to get the plans, that doesn't mean no one escaped. I mean, basically "all" the Jedi originally died, too, right?
    Last edited by Doria; 04-07-2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Argh, typing on iPad

  9. #9
    The most mesmerizing thing about the clip in the OP is the segment with Mark Hamill in the final seconds.

    Is it a cardboard cutout?

    Is he trying to work a Jedi mindtrick on the viewer?

    His look and pose are definitely creepy.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cabbagetown, Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    The trailer is out and it looks pretty freaking awesome! Believe you get to see Vader briefly at 1:18!
    I think that's the Emperor.

    I think that you are thinking that is Vadar entering the Emperor's chambers, beginning to kneel down towards the Emperor, who is sitting on a throne, flanked by two imperial guards. However, it does not appear to be a throne at the center of the room, rather some sort of device. It is possible that the character is not beginning to kneel, but descending a few stairs that are just out of the frame.

    Key point though: we have never seen Vadar wear a robe over his head once he had his transformation. When he had just become Darth Vadar, in Episode III, he did wear his robe over his head in a few scenes. Klyo Ren certainly did too, but helmeted Vadar always had his helmet/head visible. In fact, Vadar's robe in III (after his "surgery"), IV, V, and VI, did not have a cowl to go over his head. This makes me believe quite strongly that this is not Vadar at 1:18.

    I think the person at 1:18 is the Emperor, or some other new character, but not Darth Vadar.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cabbagetown, Atlanta, GA
    Movie trailer is awesome.

    I'm very excited for this one. Much more excited than I was before seeing the trailer.

    I'm wondering where Tarkin is in all of this, particularly because we caught a glimpse of him overseeing the Death Star construction for a moment at the end of Episode III.

    So... who's the new guy in the creamy robes? I'm guessing he, along with most of the characters, have to bite it, since we don't see any of them again. Perhaps they couldn't find anyone that looked enough like Peter Cushing, so they invented this new guy? I think it would have been cool to see Tarkin and Vadar (if they are not in the movie) in the movie though.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    I'm in....another great female lead....
    "Either they're going down, or we are! Kirk out!"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree with the general consensus that this looks really, really good. I'm more excited about this than I was about The Force Awakens, because this one slots in so nicely with plot points I already know and care about.
    If you're looking for a time-waster (and if you're not, then why the hell are you here?), io9 has a nerdtastically detailed breakdown of the whole thing, addressing (well, mostly just attempting to address) a number of the questions expressed in this thread.

  14. #14
    Let me just address a couple things...

    1. It's spelled Vader.
    2. There is 0% chance that Jyn Erso is related to Rey. Not everyone has to be related.
    3. We don't know anything about what happened to the folks who stole the first Death Star plans. That's what we learn from this movie. There were EU stories about it but they have been de-canonized. As mentioned elsewhere, the line about the Bothans dying was from episode VI.

    Now that I've got that out of the way, the trailer looks fantastic. I think that female protagonist might have been inspired by former EU character Jan Ors, rebel operative and good pal of Kyle Katarn, one of the most awesome EU characters (and a force user). It seems unlikely we'll see Kyle in the new canon, but maybe there's hope for a derivative character.

    edit: Forgot number 4. That female character is not 15. Actress is 32 and character is probably thereabouts or slightly younger.
    Last edited by BLPOG; 04-07-2016 at 02:08 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I agree with the general consensus that this looks really, really good. I'm more excited about this than I was about The Force Awakens, because this one slots in so nicely with plot points I already know and care about.
    If you're looking for a time-waster (and if you're not, then why the hell are you here?), io9 has a nerdtastically detailed breakdown of the whole thing, addressing (well, mostly just attempting to address) a number of the questions expressed in this thread.
    Excellent reading and breakdown Wilson, thank you.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    So, what is the percentage chance that the main chick is Rey's mom? I would put a lot of money on that.
    Just give me your money, it is not Rey's mom.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I agree with the general consensus that this looks really, really good. I'm more excited about this than I was about The Force Awakens, because this one slots in so nicely with plot points I already know and care about.
    If you're looking for a time-waster (and if you're not, then why the hell are you here?), io9 has a nerdtastically detailed breakdown of the whole thing, addressing (well, mostly just attempting to address) a number of the questions expressed in this thread.
    Several people commented that the rebels had her in handcuffs. I thought maybe she'd escaped the empire, or maybe a bounty hunter, and she hadn't been able to get them off yet. The rebels didn't have her surrounded by guards or anything.
    LET'S GO DUKE!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Several people commented that the rebels had her in handcuffs. I thought maybe she'd escaped the empire, or maybe a bounty hunter, and she hadn't been able to get them off yet. The rebels didn't have her surrounded by guards or anything.
    I thought they did (have her surrounded) at first.

    So, I'm now thinking about this for the first time. Does this happen immediately prior to IV? IOW, will this end immediately prior to Leia's capture?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I thought they did (have her surrounded) at first.

    So, I'm now thinking about this for the first time. Does this happen immediately prior to IV? IOW, will this end immediately prior to Leia's capture?
    She's following BEHIND one guard who doesn't even have his hand on her and doesn't have a weapon in evidence. Either he's a really lazy, bad guard, or she's not his prisoner.
    LET'S GO DUKE!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    She's following BEHIND one guard who doesn't even have his hand on her and doesn't have a weapon in evidence. Either he's a really lazy, bad guard, or she's not his prisoner.
    Wait, there are good guards in the Star Wars universe?

Similar Threads

  1. Star Wars Clone Wars TV show
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 07-10-2021, 01:49 PM
  2. Star Wars research
    By Olympic Fan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-12-2014, 08:13 AM
  3. Star Wars sequel
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 05-31-2013, 06:06 PM
  4. Star Wars: Clone Wars - Early Review
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-13-2008, 08:32 AM
  5. Star Wars versus Star Trek
    By knights68 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 11:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •