Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Harry Giles Left Knee Vigil

Adam Rowe just tweeted that Giles will be out about 6 weeks after having arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.

Obviously not the news you want to hear.

Doctors and others in the know: is this surgery likely related to the ACL tear in Harry Giles's knee(s) or another incident? I assume ACL-related, but I have no idea.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Adam Rowe just tweeted that Giles will be out about 6 weeks after having arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.
    ESPN Too

-------

Jeff Goodman
    ESPN Insider

"Duke freshman Harry Giles had knee surgery on Monday and is expected to be out for six weeks. This isn't good news -- since he's recovering from a torn ACL he suffered in the first game of his high school season."

Jeff Borzello
    ESPN Staff Writer

"Harry Giles underwent a successful left knee arthroscopy on Monday -- and typical recovery time is six weeks, per the school."

And thus it begins. Potentially devastating news. This is why I felt the signing of Marques Bolden was absolutely critical as I nsurance for Harry Giles. Though Giles might mostly play the 4 and Bolden the 5, it's still another big man to help fill the void left by Giles' absence.
    Last edited by Steven43; 10-03-2016 at 02:00 PM.

What's weird, although nice for Mr. Giles, is that even if he doesn't play most of the year, he'll still get drafted as a lottery pick.

I'll get this in early in the thread.

It's over...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    What's weird, although nice for Mr. Giles, is that even if he doesn't play most of the year, he'll still get drafted as a lottery pick.
    Don't you think GMs are eventually going to start shying away from a big man who keeps having knees injuries/problems? Staying healthy is the most important element of being a great basketball player.

More from Goodman

"Duke freshman Harry Giles had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee today. Slated to miss about 6 weeks. It's the same knee that he tore his ACL, MCL and meniscus on prior to his sophomore season in high school. Sources told ESPN that injury wasn't rehabbed nearly as well as this past injury -- when he tore the ACL in his right knee the first game of his season year in high school."
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Don't you think GMs are eventually going to start shying away from a big man who keeps having knees injuries/problems? Staying healthy is the most important element of being a great basketball player.
    "That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach"

Back by November 15? Nahhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    "Duke freshman Harry Giles had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee today. Slated to miss about 6 weeks. It's the same knee that he tore his ACL, MCL and meniscus on prior to his sophomore season in high school. Sources told ESPN that injury wasn't rehabbed nearly as well as this past injury -- when he tore the ACL in his right knee the first game of his season year in high school."
    Let's get literal for a minute. "Six weeks" calculates out to be November 15, which would mean he would miss only two games and be back to face Kansas at Madison Square Garden. Anyone here buying that??? Not me! Maybe he'll be back for the ACC season. More likely, given the way the DBR faithful get tormented, he'll be back in March and do a reverse Kyrie -- the last eight (or 11) games of the season and then off to the NBA.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Greg Oden (picked before Kevin Durant) ... Sam Bowie (picked before Michael Jordan). Add Joel Embiid, who missed the last half of his senior season with an injury and was taken No. 3 (and still has not plaed in the NBA).

No, I don't think GMs learn a thing.

As for Harry, this is a blow, but six weeks from now is the middle of November ... just when the season starts. Obviously, going to take a while to get back into shape (especially after missing last season) and missing the entire preseason has to hurt, but he'll have a long time to get himself ready and work his way back into the rotation before conference play starts on Dec. 31 -- six weeks after his projected return.

Not great news, but not devastating either.

BTW: I agree that this issue emphasizes the importance of signing Marques Bolden late. Although he is a center and Giles a forward, Amile Jefferson has the flexibility to play either position. So instead of starting the season with Jefferson/Giles in the post, we start with Jefferson/Bolden ... and we still have Chase and Javin as post depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Not great news, but not devastating either.
    I agree. Although this supports my view that Duke didn't deserve to be in its own "tier" separated from every other team, a rotation of Grayson, Matt, Luke, Amile, Bolden, Jackson, and Tatum is still probably preseason #1 in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Let's get literal for a minute. "Six weeks" calculates out to be November 15, which would mean he would miss only two games and be back to face Kansas at Madison Square Garden. Anyone here buying that??? Not me! Maybe he'll be back for the ACC season. More likely, given the way the DBR faithful get tormented, he'll be back in March and do a reverse Kyrie -- the last eight (or 11) games of the season and then off to the NBA.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    First, I think all of us rational humans over here hope he takes all the time he needs. The plan is to have a long career playing basketball. Keep that goal in mind.

Second, Giles is at a great place to have surgery and go through rehab, along with a coaching staff that will put his best interests first.

Third, a three-man frontcourt of Jeter, Bolden, Jefferson can hold the fort until Giles gets back. I hope that is sooner rather than later. ACC play is 3 months away. We have plenty of time.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    First, I think all of us rational humans over here hope he takes all the time he needs. The plan is to have a long career playing basketball. Keep that goal in mind.

Second, Giles is at a great place to have surgery and go through rehab, along with a coaching staff that will put his best interests first.

Third, a three-man frontcourt of Jeter, Bolden, Jefferson can hold the fort until Giles gets back. I hope that is sooner rather than later. ACC play is 3 months away. We have plenty of time.
    Super post here by superdave. We are deep enough to let Giles take as much time as he needs to get healthy. If they are only saying 6 weeks, I hope that means a fairly minor surgery. Looking forward to watching this young man play. I suspect he's worked very hard to get back from his latest ACL tear and hope he can get healthy and enjoy playing with this teammates.

Man, I feel really bad for this kid. He's been through the wringer. Keep your head up, Harry!

As for our Blue Devils, as many have mentioned, thank goodness we have depth. This sorts out some of the PT logjam. It's your world, Marquese, make the most of it! You, too, Chase!

This post sums up everything I thought. Great post.

I really, really feel for Harry. I hope he rehabs the crap out of his knee and that these operations turns his knees into whatever the hell is the opposite of Greg Oden's knees.

I know Coach K will bring Giles along very slowly. I also know that this team can tear up it's non-conference without Giles making a big impact (especially if Bolden is crushing it).

And lastly, I still believe Duke is #1 in the country.

Here's to hoping that surgery was just a maintenance issue to go in and clean the knee out. 6 wks seems a long time for an O-Scope tho.

From the moment Giles injured his knee during his sophomore year I was skeptical about how well he would rehap while being monitored by high school coaches and trainers. And then it happened again during his senior year. A previous poster mentioned that the second rehap had gone much better than the first. Not sure why that would be the case or how this information would be out there. Was his senior year rehab program arranged and carried out with the help of Duke Hospital? I sure hope so.

In any case, after Giles suffered his second major knee injury I felt Duke would be taking a fairly large risk in counting on him to be the centerpiece of their 2016-2017 team. Once Bolden was safely in the fold I began to feel a lot better. At this point I am looking at Giles as a possible late season wild card who could be the extra boost that pushes Duke over the top. I honestly hope he takes significantly longer than six weeks to see the court. I would rather have his plan for the next 12-16 weeks to be continuing rehabbing, getting stronger, conditioning, getting more comfortable with his knees and his body overall during practice and training sessions, but not during actual games.

Then in mid-January or so when he is 100% confident in his health he returns to the court eager, hungry and with a chip on his shoulder, ready to show the world just what he can do at full strength. Think of Harry as the ultimate sixth man. Like Kevin McHale was for the awesome early 80's Boston Celtics. Sure, it would be an adjustment for him and the team, but there would still be plenty of time to get it all together and gel for the ACC tournament and the NCAAs.

Spot on! Giles health comes first. Everything else is a distant second.
    Bob Green

From the moment Giles injured his knee during his sophomore year I was skeptical about how well he would rehap while being monitored by high school coaches and trainers. And then it happened again during his senior year. A previous poster mentioned that the second rehap had gone much better than the first. Not sure why that would be the case or how this information would be out there. Was his senior year rehab program arranged and carried out with the help of Duke Hospital? I sure hope so.
    Wasn't his rehab be monitored by doctors and physical therapists though?