Thread: RIP The King

RIP The King

Arnold Palmer passed away in Pittsburg.

http://www.golfweek.com/2016/09/25/a...es-away-at-87/

The Masters would not be what it is without Arnie. A great ambassador for the sport.

Sad news. Condolences to his family.

And it is Pittsburgh -

Very Sad - Arnie died today

For many of us, the King.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    For many of us, the King.
    Awe...very sorry to hear this. Great golfer, great athlete...but an even better human being !!

Perhaps golf's greatest ambassador. One of a kind. RIP
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Tremendously sad.

He had a more loyal following than any golfer.

Seemed like a truly good person.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Tremendously sad.

He had a more loyal following than any golfer.

Seemed like a truly good person.
    Yes, very sad. A perfect match between man and era. Was afraid of this when he cut back on his responsibilities at Bay Hill and didn't do the ceremonial drive at the Masters. A true American legend. May his memory be a blessing to his family, friends, and millions of fans.

Arnie is still king (and others) you might enjoy this remembrance of Arnold written by Michael Bamberger. http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/go...palmer-dies-87

The line from the piece that sums it up is "The sports columnist Dave Anderson once wrote that nobody could enjoy being who he or she is more than Arnold Palmer enjoys being Arnold Palmer. That observation got to the heart of the man and the matter. ".

RIP, Arnold Daniel Palmer.
    Last edited by chris13; 09-25-2016 at 09:18 PM.

Such a sad day for all of us Western Pa residents. The "King" never forgot who he was or where he came from. I can tell so many stories about him it would take forever. 1 of my favorites was when Arnold told a young tour pro to "sign an autograph so people can read it". Then there was the time at Oakmont that he and Nicklaus had to play an 18 hole playoff on Monday. Palmer told the members in the Taproot "I can beat the fat kid from Ohio". I miss the man already

RIP, Arnie.

He was my first hero. I learned what charisma was while following him at the Greater Greensboro Open. Being part of the Army will always be one of my top sports memories.

He inspired many people in a lot of different ways. I wonder how many millions took up the sport because of him?

Too early, perhaps, to link to Jack Nicklaus' just aired statement on the death of his friend. It is moving, to say the least. Just saw it on the Golf Channel.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

The King is dead. Long live the King. RIP Arnie.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I hope he can have his old tractor with him. RIP old warrior, you have earned it and thanks for making my life a lot happier for your life. You will always be the King. 👑

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Such a sad day for all of us Western Pa residents. The "King" never forgot who he was or where he came from. I can tell so many stories about him it would take forever. 1 of my favorites was when Arnold told a young tour pro to "sign an autograph so people can read it". Then there was the time at Oakmont that he and Nicklaus had to play an 18 hole playoff on Monday. Palmer told the members in the Taproot "I can beat the fat kid from Ohio". I miss the man already
    Same here. Arnie has always been one of Papa Turk's heroes, and most likely the only reason a mill rat like him took up the game. While I am not Crusty enough to remember Arnie winning tournaments, I always admired how he never forgot his roots and stayed connected to Latrobe and Pittsburgh, which admittedly are not hotbeds of golf (no disrespect to Rocco Mediate). I have often told the young Turks that Tiger Woods is really just Arnie 2.0, but only on the golf course, not off it.

I have one indirect Arnie story. One day, I was golfing at Scranton Muni and got paired up with a couple of older guys. I might have been wearing a Steelers ball cap or made some sort of Pittsburgh reference, but in any event the conversation came around to Arnie. Turns out one of the guys was in the Coast Guard with Mr. Palmer, and went down to Philly many years later to see a tournament and follow him around. Somewhere in the middle of the round, the guy was standing in the gallery around the green. Arnie looked up from marking his ball, saw him, said "Jerry, you old SOB, I thought you'd be dead or in jail by now!" and went over to shake his hand while waiting for his turn to putt, then took him out for dinner after the round. Of course, there's no way to fact check a yarn like that, but there's no reason to doubt it, and it would certainly be in character for The King.
    Last edited by Turk; 09-26-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Arnie was something to watch in action. His death is something of a metaphor for the game itself...not terribly popular with young folks
    these days, perhaps because it's tough to swing while clutching an iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Arnie was something to watch in action. His death is something of a metaphor for the game itself...not terribly popular with young folks
    these days, perhaps because it's tough to swing while clutching an iPhone
    Also tough to pay $75-100 per round with no job.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Ah, perhaps golf economics is a topic for another thread. Unfortunately, design firms like Arnie's and Jack's have magnified the problem by primarily catering to developers of resort courses or upper-end housing developments. Who would want to build a new course that is only middle-of-the-pack? It is hard to find a place where kids are encouraged to learn and play the game at a reasonable price without helicopter parents thinking their little prodigies will soon be on Tour or at least getting a scholly to Duke.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    "The world needs ditch diggers too." Judge Smails.