Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    That's a good question. I'm pretty open but she's a little picky. Frankly, even though she's in middle school, she still usually eats off the kids menu. So first, nothing upscale or fancy. We'll we wearing shorts, t-shirts (and/or sweatshirts). I will say that I tend to be more mainstream and meat oriented :-)

I thought about just grabbing pizza at Barley's but it's been so long since I was there that I can't remember if it's appropriate for a 12 year old girl. When I used to visit Asheville more often it was to see a friend who worked/lived at Hannah Flanigans and at the time we were more interested in beer than food.
    I think CB&B upthread suggested Asheville Beer (and Pizza) Company. With a $3 movie. They might not have their award-winning Ninjabreadman Porter (or any variants) brewed yet but their regular porter and IPA are mighty tasty, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

That's a good question. I'm pretty open but she's a little picky. Frankly, even though she's in middle school, she still usually eats off the kids menu. So first, nothing upscale or fancy. We'll we wearing shorts, t-shirts (and/or sweatshirts). I will say that I tend to be more mainstream and meat oriented :-)

I thought about just grabbing pizza at Barley's but it's been so long since I was there that I can't remember if it's appropriate for a 12 year old girl. When I used to visit Asheville more often it was to see a friend who worked/lived at Hannah Flanigans and at the time we were more interested in beer than food.
    Sadly, Hannah's is gone. was the bestimate place for outdoor drinks downtown

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I think CB&B upthread suggested Asheville Beer (and Pizza) Company. With a $3 movie. They might not have their award-winning Ninjabreadman Porter (or any variants) brewed yet but their regular porter and IPA are mighty tasty, too.
    Their location on Merriman Avenue is very kid friendly and has a game room with air hockey, pop a shot, and video games.

As noted, their beer is on point.

Moe's, Pappa's great for kids. IMHO Chestnuts too upscale. I'd add Farmburger, 12 Bones (lunch only), Homegrown, Buxton Hall, Mello Mushroom (really, really cool decor and great pizzas). There are certainly many more that can be added. Also, for Asheville, your clothing description fits right in. Just add a lot of tattoos and everyone will think you are a local. Oh, and definitely do not bother to shave, either.😄 Welcome to Asheville and be what you want to be.

ricks

I have a related question. My 12 year old daughter and I will be making our yearly trip to Camp Rockmont (just outside of Asheville). The rest of our Y-Guides tribe won't be joining us this year so on Friday night (after rafting during the day), we'll be on our own for dinner. Anyone have a good dinner suggestion? We usually eat downtown and walk around a bit (although we aren't usually by ourselves).
    For downtown I would suggest Farmburger (also has incredible ground chicken burgers), Mello Mushroom, and adding Carmel ' s now. Check them out on the net. All 3 wonderful for people watching while eating. You can also add Salsa's next to Farmburger. Do not plan to eat too late, because some restaurants close around 9 even if they publicize later. Really. By the way, ALL breweries allow kids until around 8 or so I'm pretty sure. Check on that. They may or may not have food for them, however. You should stop by the Visitors Center barely north of downtown if you can to pick up a great restaurant guide. It's pretty accurate for food styles. There are dozens and dozens of good restaurants listed. TripAdvisor is not accurate in their listings, IMHO, so I would avoid it. Hope this is also helpful for DrRR. Oh, Barley's still has very good pizza by the slice.

ricks

I would also double-check on the rafting. Many local guides shut down after Labor Day.

All the suggestions have been great. I would definitely recommend Asheville Brewing Company. Great beer and a large food menu suitable for both of you.

I am getting hungry. Think I'll have a Honey Crisp apple.

ricks

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I think there are enough good ideas here that'll allow me to see what we are feeling like that day and go find something good. I see burgers, pizza, mexican, beer, and more (all good stuff). Asheville is a great place to walk around and people watch, there's just a little bit of everything to see.

Although the beer isn't the focus of this trip, I can say that I'm sure to have a pint or two with dinner (and more once I get back to camp because sleeping in a tent without a few pints isn't a good idea).

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Sadly, Hannah's is gone. was the bestimate place for outdoor drinks downtown
    My friend managed, partly owned and sometimes lived at Hannah's (literally, lived in the basement) once upon a time. I had some great times there (or at least I kinda remember some great times...I have some times there that I don't remember)!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I would also double-check on the rafting. Many local guides shut down after Labor Day.
    The rafting is a group deal done through the Y-Guides program. This'll be our 4th year going. I know we've done the French Broad river a few times and did something different last year. We have bus loads of dads and kids, etc so I suspect they may just shut down once these trips are through.

Next year, I'd like to bring the family and raft on our own. I suspect I should contact you and ask advice if I can talk the wife into it.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I am getting hungry. Think I'll have a Honey Crisp apple.

ricks
    And pair (or pear?) that with what type of saison?

And pair (or pear?) that with what type of saison?
    Later.😊

ricks

Mountain Springs Cabins

pretty awesome...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

As I said up top, my GF loved Asheville Brewing's "brew n view" experience. The pizza was amazing, the beer (which was for me) was top notch, and while the movie wouldn't have been my first or second choice, it was so fun that I didn't care. The movie itself is like two or three bucks, so you can't top that for a cheap date. Walk in, order your food, and you sit in a very comfy seat with a big table in front of you. They even have candles so you can see what you are eating while you watch.

Edit...
    That's what I get for replying without reading.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    As I said up top, my GF loved Asheville Brewing's "brew n view" experience. The pizza was amazing, the beer (which was for me) was top notch, and while the movie wouldn't have been my first or second choice, it was so fun that I didn't care. The movie itself is like two or three bucks, so you can't top that for a cheap date. Walk in, order your food, and you sit in a very comfy seat with a big table in front of you. They even have candles so you can see what you are eating while you watch.

Edit... That's what I get for replying without reading.

Ha! I've done that a time or three.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

Edit... That's what I get for replying without reading.
    ABC has a number of new different brews on tap that I think are excellent. Saw a great movie there last week for 3 bucks, also. Unfortunately, their pizzas have come down significantly in the past year IMO. Harris Teeter has great inexpensive pizzas now that you can get with lots of different toppings at no extra charge. Great crust, too. Much better than ABC. ABC does have other stuff that is pretty good, however. I Usually get their chicken tenders or other Italian stuff. Also, their tater tots are pretty mushy, however.

ricks

ABC has a number of new different brews on tap that I think are excellent. Saw a great movie there last week for 3 bucks, also. Unfortunately, their pizzas have come down significantly in the past year IMO. Harris Teeter has great inexpensive pizzas now that you can get with lots of different toppings at no extra charge. Great crust, too. Much better than ABC. ABC does have other stuff that is pretty good, however. I Usually get their chicken tenders or other Italian stuff. Also, their tater tots are pretty mushy, however.

ricks
    The La Bamba Quesadilla is the tits.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    The La Bamba Quesadilla is the tits.
    With boneless chicken breasts I ASSume.

ricks
    As someone who visits that establishment once or twice a week, their food can be hit and miss. Their wings are reliable, and I love the pizza with Gorgonzola and walnuts (I add sausage).

Also, decent burger, good fish and chips.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We packed in a lot of Asheville in a short time. And wow, I had kinda forgotten how awesome and beautiful it was up there. Highlights included hiking the Linville Gorge trails, hitting up Farm Burger, Corner Kitchen and Hole, and drinking a bunch of great micro brews. And the wife and I added a strong candidate to the "places to live when the kids move out" list.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We packed in a lot of Asheville in a short time. And wow, I had kinda forgotten how awesome and beautiful it was up there. Highlights included hiking the Linville Gorge trails, hitting up Farm Burger, Corner Kitchen and Hole, and drinking a bunch of great micro brews. And the wife and I added a strong candidate to the "places to live when the kids move out" list.
    Micro brews? Do tell (whether in this thread or that other one).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."