Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2016 NFL Season

Week 2 musings

-The Patriots may have to pull some random guy out of the stands Thursday night if they have another quarterback injury but somehow they just keep on winning. Regardless, in a couple weeks they will have their savior back most likely along with Gronk and all will be well. I really hated typing that.

-Panthers are back on track and the offense showed just how powerful it can be. So many weapons.

-Steelers look like the best team in the league to me right now after handling the Bengals without too much trouble.

-What the heck is wrong with Seattle? Two games with only one touchdown and they loose to the Rams, who lost to the 49'ers 28-0 last week! Yikes!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Week 2 musings

-The Patriots may have to pull some random guy out of the stands Thursday night if they have another quarterback injury but somehow they just keep on winning. Regardless, in a couple weeks they will have their savior back most likely along with Gronk and all will be well. I really hated typing that.
    Heard an interesting conversation on the radio the other morning - what do you think their careers would look like if you put Romo on the Patriots and Brady on the Cowboys?

Anyone know of a site where I can watch one of yesterday's games? I was unable to watch. I checked NFL.com and all I see there is ways to watch highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Anyone know of a site where I can watch one of yesterday's games? I was unable to watch. I checked NFL.com and all I see there is ways to watch highlights.
    http://www.nfl-replay.com/
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Rough calls are part of sports, but aren't we perhaps due for the Universe to throw Browns' fan a bone?
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Rough loss for the Skins against the Cowboys yesterday. Painful. Two different times inside the 10 with first and goal. They kept going to the same play over and over again, even though it kept failing. Got a FG off the first one; threw an interception in the end zone the second time.

To make matters worse, the winning touchdown for the Cowboys was scored by Alfred Morris! And he had the audacity to do the "home run" celebration!

So painful. I'm just going to go off into a corner and cry for a while now.......
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Rough loss for the Skins against the Cowboys yesterday. Painful. Two different times inside the 10 with first and goal. They kept going to the same play over and over again, even though it kept failing. Got a FG off the first one; threw an interception in the end zone the second time.

To make matters worse, the winning touchdown for the Cowboys was scored by Alfred Morris! And he had the audacity to do the "home run" celebration!

So painful. I'm just going to go off into a corner and cry for a while now...
    This is the game I want to watch. Even though it's an embarrassing loss, I want to compare it to last weeks games. What I really want to see, which you may already know, is did the Redskins D-Line get dominated this week like they did last week? And did they get any pressure on the QB this week? Any progress in the running game?

All the highlight and sportscasters are going to cover is the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

So painful. I'm just going to go off into a corner and cry for a while now....
    The Washington team kept going to their first round draft choice -- Josh Doctson, time and again and he kept letting them down. Okay, he did catch a 57 yard pass early, but that was his only reception. The must have targeted him 10 times and that was his only catch.

On the other hand, the one time thy went to Jamison Crowder in the red zone, he made a great catch for the TD. On their last drive, the first time they faced fourth down, they went to Crowder and he made a great play to keep the drive alive. But the next time they faced fourth down, they tried to go to Doctson again and that was the end of that.

BTW: Great games Sunday for Crowder and for Cockrell. A week after AJ Green torched the Jets for 12 catches and 180 yards, Cockrell held him to two catches for 38 yards (although he did get called for pass interference): http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/ind..._aj_green.html

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    The Washington team kept going to their first round draft choice -- Josh Doctson, time and again and he kept letting them down. Okay, he did catch a 57 yard pass early, but that was his only reception. The must have targeted him 10 times and that was his only catch.

On the other hand, the one time thy went to Jamison Crowder in the red zone, he made a great catch for the TD. On their last drive, the first time they faced fourth down, they went to Crowder and he made a great play to keep the drive alive. But the next time they faced fourth down, they tried to go to Doctson again and that was the end of that.

BTW: Great games Sunday for Crowder and for Cockrell. A week after AJ Green torched the Jets for 12 catches and 180 yards, Cockrell held him to two catches for 38 yards (although he did get called for pass interference): http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/ind..._aj_green.html
    As a Redskins fan I can tell you that I've very happy with Jamison Crowder and happy we drafted him. As for Doctson, I thought he was drafted to replace either Garcon or Jackson, both are in the final years of their contracts, I think. Anything we get out of Doctson this year is gravy as far as I'm concerned. If they really tried to force him the ball over and over again, I'd view that as another coaching failure.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    If they really tried to force him the ball over and over again, I'd view that as another coaching failure.
    I haven't watched every minute of each game, but from what I have seen the inability or unwillingness to make adjustments is really hurting the team. On defense the way they are utilizing Norman is under a lot of fire (not having him cover the #1 receiver and/or not helping out on the #1 if the strategy is to have Norman neutralize the #2 and double the #1), as is the red zone offense (running the same ineffective fade route over and over). The good news is that it looks like I will have a lot of free time on Sunday afternoons this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I haven't watched every minute of each game, but from what I have seen the inability or unwillingness to make adjustments is really hurting the team. On defense the way they are utilizing Norman is under a lot of fire (not having him cover the #1 receiver and/or not helping out on the #1 if the strategy is to have Norman neutralize the #2 and double the #1), as is the red zone offense (running the same ineffective fade route over and over). The good news is that it looks like I will have a lot of free time on Sunday afternoons this fall.
    Yeah, I may have some free time as well. Being 0-2 after having played 2 home games, one of which is against an opponent with rookie QB does not set us up for improving on last year. At the same time, I think our schedule is tougher, all the other NFC East teams may have improved and we may actually be better than last year and have a worse record.

As for Norman, they did eventually move him around on Sunday to neutralize Dez Bryant (since Dez hasn't had his yearly injury yet). But it was in the 4th quarter when they made this adjustment. Breeland didn't sound too happy about it but after last weeks debacle I don't think he has much room to talk. Basically what I read was that they sold out to stop the run (because our front 7 wasn't good enough to stuff the run against the Steelers) and that made passing easier for them. Plus we lost Cedric Goldston for the season.

Cousins has played very poorly through two games. He needs to recapture the form he had at the end of last season and prove that he's a franchise QB. All the other problems that ail the Skins pale in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Rough calls are part of sports, but aren't we perhaps due for the Universe to throw Browns' fan a bone?
    When I saw the replay on that, I was stunned. That's the worst taunting call in history. First of all, even if it was an intentional ball flip, it was incredibly mild when it comes to taunting -- it was not like he spiked the ball on the corner back. But, most importantly, it didn't appear to be intentional at all. Pryor is merely tossing the ball to the ref and the CB gets in the way. Just a horrible call.

I know the NFL wants to tone down bad sportsmanship, but that was ridiculous. You cannot say it lost the game for the Browns, but it took a decent chance at a win (ball on the 10 with 20 seconds left) and made it a very likely loss (ball on the 30 with 20 seconds left).

-Jason "if you can stand a few curse words, this column by an irate Browns fan is kinda funny" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Fun NFL fact of the night:
    Ezekiel Elliott rushed for 140 yards in the Cowboys' win over the Bears on Sunday night. Elliott totaled 134 rushing yards in his first 2 games combined. His 274 rushing yards through the first 3 games are second-most by a Cowboys player. Calvin Hill's 299 are the most.
    (Go Eagles!)

BTW, great performance by Jamison Crowder Sunday as Washington beat the Giants.

Crowder had a 55-yard TD catch on an inside screen that he busted clean and he set up another Washington score with an insane 52-yard punt return.

Who's this Wentz fellow I keep hearing about? Good lord, he looks more like an MVP candidate than a rookie out there.

Check out his stats so far:

CMP ATT YDS CMP% AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT
    2016 Regular Season 66 102 769 64.7 7.54 5 73 0 3 68.9 103.8
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Who's this Wentz fellow I keep hearing about? Good lord, he looks more like an MVP candidate than a rookie out there.

Check out his stats so far:

CMP ATT YDS CMP% AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT
    2016 Regular Season 66 102 769 64.7 7.54 5 73 0 3 68.9 103.8

Peyton didn't retire. A few illegal substances, a new baseline blood sample, new name, new uniform.

Juwan Thompson Back with Broncos

And how! Juwan is in his third season, but didn't make the roster with the Broncos in pre-season. Activated a week ago when C.J. Anderson went down with a knee injury. He just scored a touchdown from the one-yard line for the Broncos to extend their lead to 24-13
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Tony Romo's press conference from this weekend

Anyone see/read Romo's press conference this past weekend where he essentially handed the reigns to Dak Prescott? As a Giants fan, I hate the Cowboys, but I've always had mad respect for Romo (and actually like him). Plus his relationship with the Duke program certainly doesn't hurt haha.

Anyways, there was one part of his statement that really struck a cord with me, and made me think of the Duke brotherhood:

"For every high school or college player, there’s greatness in being the kind of teammate who truly wants to be part of the team. Everyone wants to be the reason we’re winning or losing, every single one of us wants to be that person, but there are special moments that come from a shared commitment to play your role while doing it together. That’s what you remember. Not your stats or your prestige, but the relationships and the achievement that you created as a group. It’s hard to do, but there’s great joy in that. And all the while, your desire burns to be the best you’ve ever been. You can be both. I figured that out in this process."

When I see each player on Duke just playing their role, and stepping up, and only caring about the team and winning, that to me is what makes being part of the Duke program so special. It seems perhaps Coach K and Duke have rubbed off a bit on Romo. At least that's my two cents.

Yes i saw .i figured it was about time for him to retire.he did a lot for us.true team mate.as a life l9ng cowboys fan.i have been distant than fanatical to the extreme durring jones ownership.if jimmy johnson would have stayed on...
    I think dak is a great replacement the oline is good .we can shore up the D some.then we can be the cowboys we need to be.i will be in D.C. all week sporting my cowboys and Duke gear .