The Get Down (Netflix)

In all the Netflix talk, I don't think anyone has mentioned my favorite Netflix show, The Get Down - it's not perfect and not kid-friendly, but I dig it. It's a $120 million Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge, The Great Gatsby) production highlighting late 1970s Bronx, NY and the transition from disco to the development of hip hop (and the tiniest bit of punk). Think The Warriors and Wild Style mixed with some Saturday Night Fever.

Don't let the presence of Jaden Smith turn you off (and it shouldn't here). The production team includes Nas, Grandmaster Flash, DJ Kool Herc, and Afrika Bambaataa (with Kurtis Blow also joining them for the dancer/actor boot camp)!

So far, I think 6 episodes have been released with another 6 or 7 to be released early 2017. It already resonates well with me, and I'll be even more pumped if they decide to do a second season (it's still undetermined). Here's a tidbit of the potential:
    “We probably would jump into the early ’80s,” says supervising producer/writer Nelson George, who actually worked at Billboard during that time period. “I was there during the beginnings of Run-D.M.C. I was there for Prince and Michael Jackson. I think there is a hell of a story."

My sister introduced me to Netflix and also gave me her account details to use it. I was going through kids’ content on it and realized how good it is and how much it can teach kids. I have earlier heard the name Andy Yeatman when I used to watch Disney channel and he is the same man behind kids’ content on Netflix.