ACC Football: Week Two

Two conference games and 10 non-conference games on tap.

It kicks off Friday with Louisville at Syracuse (8 pm, ESPN2) -- interesting little mini-controversy going on over the chain-gangs. Dino Babers is trying to run an up-tempo offense at Syracuse and that means getting plays off as fast as possible. Louisville coach Bobby Petrino noted earlier this week that on several occasions, Syracuse ran plays before the chains were set after first downs. He claimed that he checked with the ACC office and found that was technically illegal -- the chains had to be set before the next play was run. But it turns out he was wrong -- that's NOT the rule ,... and the conference didn't say so. Amazing back-and-forth over the issue during Wednesday's ACC teleconference. Probably doesn't matter -- Louisville is a lot better. Still, something to watch.

Wake at Duke (3:30 p.m., ESPNU) is the other conference game. We've got other places to talk about that one.

I think the ACC, which did pretty well last week (10-2 overall and 2-1 vs. P5), has five significant non-conference games this week:
    Penn State at Pitt (noon, ESPN) -- renewal of a classic rivalry that hasn't been played since 2000
    North Carolina at Illinois (7:30 pm, BTN) --I'll be watching to see if Tubinsky can play up to the hype ... he didn't against Georgia.
    Virginia Tech-Tennessee in Bristol, Tn. (8 p.m., ABC) -- set in the middle of the speedway, the game is projected to draw the largest crowd in football history -- upwards to 150,000 fans.
    Virginia at Oregon (10:30 p.m., ESPN) -- Bronco Mendanhall almost certain to go 0-2 to start his run in Charlottesville
    That's all vs. P5 opponents, but I'd also add:
    N.C. State at East Carolina (noon, ESPNU) -- ECU has won five straight vs. ACC foes and Greenville might have the best atmosphere for football in North Carolina.

Five non-conference gimmies:
    Boston College at UMass (noon, NESN)
    Troy at Clemson (12:30 pm, ACC Network)
    Charleston Southern at Florida State (12:30 pm, RSN)
    Mercer at Georgia Tech (3 pm., ACC Network Extra)
    Florida Atlantic at Miami (6 pm ACC Network Extra)

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    N.C. State at East Carolina (noon, ESPNU) -- ECU has won five straight vs. ACC foes and Greenville might have the best atmosphere for football in North Carolina.
    If I were a betting man, which I'm not, I'd pick ECU to win that.

I saw the layout for the game at the Bristol Track. That seems like it would be a horrible experience to watch football. Great party. But no one will be really watching the game.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I saw the layout for the game at the Bristol Track. That seems like it would be a horrible experience to watch football. Great party. But no one will be really watching the game.
    Agreed. Around here, people seem to be scratching their heads about what the football experience will be like, other than "crowded."

North Carolina at Illinois (7:30 pm, BTN) --I'll be watching to see if Tubinsky can play up to the hype ... he didn't against Georgia.
    Trubisky. Though I kinda like Tubinsky. Sounds like a recreational activity for fraternity brothers who live near a calm body of water. "Dude, I got some suds. Wanna head down to the river for some Tubinsky?"

He was easily one of the top dual threat QB recruits in the country when he arrived at UNC. He played really well in spot duty and during mop up time the past couple seasons. Expectations for him this season were sky high. Obviously, the game against UGA was disappointing for the Carolina faithful and Trubisky was pretty awful, particularly throwing the ball down the field. He seemed to have really poor accuracy on anything thrown more than maybe 8-10 yards. A lot of folks have questioned the play calling too as Carolina ran the ball with ease against a pretty good UGA defense (Logan and Hood had 152 yards on just 16 carries, an average of 9.5 yards per carry) but seemed to want to pass waaaay too often (40 pass attempts for just 156 yards, an awful 3.9 yards per attempt). And it is not like UNC was fighting from behind the whole game and needed to pass -- UNC was in the lead most of the 2nd half and only trailed by more than a TD for the final 4 minutes.

It will be interesting to see how the UNC offensive staff adjusts this week. Will they continue to pass more than twice as often as they run the ball or go for a more balanced mix. At 9.5 yards per carry, they probably should have rushed 40 times and only passed 16 last week.

-Jason "worth noting that Illinois is a mediocre to poor BCS-level team... among the bottom 4 teams in the Big Ten (which has 14 teams)" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Pretty spectacular performance by Louisville QB Lamar Jackson tonight at Syracuse.

He's out of the game now with Louisville winding up a 62-28 win ... so it looks like he'll come up one yard short of becoming the first player in NCAA history to throw for 400-plus yards and rush for 200-plus yards. He actually had exactly 200 yards rushing at one point, but slipped for a one-yard loss on his next carry and finished with 199 yards on the ground.

Louisville looked crazy talented this game, but they made a ton of mistakes -- three times their receivers fumbled after catches. They had a ton of penalties (including two stupid third-down plays that kept Syracuse scoring drives alive) and had about 10 dropped passes -- 3 or 4 that should have been touchdowns.

Florida State is at Louisville next Saturday at noon -- that's going to be a game worth watching.

I'm looking forward to watching State at ECU during Tailgate today. This one should be a good game.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'm looking forward to watching State at ECU during Tailgate today. This one should be a good game.
    From what I hear, Scottie Montgomery is getting some pretty positive reviews so far. Good luck today against the Pack!!!

ECU came to play early. 9-0 after a missed NCSU field goal.

Pitt clobbering Penn St. 28-7 in second quarter.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Anyone noticing the Pitt-PSU score? Yikes!

Does PSU suck this year, or is Pitt really good?

Maybe the Pitt game is no longer a toss up for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    From what I hear, Scottie Montgomery is getting some pretty positive reviews so far. Good luck today against the Pack!!!
    In the early going, ECU having a lot of offensive success, with the exception being a bunch of bubble screens that seem to have made the move to Greenville with him.

A new way to define Clempsuning. Sportscenter will have a field day with the latest.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    A new way to define Clempsuning. Sportscenter will have a field day with the latest.
    For those of us at our game and not in front of a screen, could you explain?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    For those of us at our game and not in front of a screen, could you explain?
    Sorry- Klempsun punt returner breaks one and at 1/2 yard line flips the ball backwards ( thinks he's crossed the goal). Troy recovers. Could have mattered.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Anyone noticing the Pitt-PSU score? Yikes!

Does PSU suck this year, or is Pitt really good?

Maybe the Pitt game is no longer a toss up for us?
    I never thought the Pitt game was a toss-up for us and, after today...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    In the early going, ECU having a lot of offensive success, with the exception being a bunch of bubble screens that seem to have made the move to Greenville with him.
    He left plenty behind in the playbook for the game at WW today.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.