Page 996 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 49689694698699499599699799810061046109614961996 ... LastLast
Results 19,901 to 19,920 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Now less than 100 Ymm, Beer posts to go to reach 20K.

What are you going to pour in the next several days to commemorate the milestone?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Now less than 100 Ymm, Beer posts to go to reach 20K.

What are you going to pour in the next several days to commemorate the milestone?

I am still very much enamoured of the idea of a DBR beer tasting day, either selecting an easily available beer, or beer style, and seeing if we can get at least ten contributors to sharing the observations from their virtual bar stools.

I owe a Veil review, but today we stopped at Ardent and had their Honey Ginger - no BBA and the Defensenator, their dopplebock. Both excellent with the Honey Ginger bring world class.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I am still very much enamoured of the idea of a DBR beer tasting day, either selecting an easily available beer, or beer style, and seeing if we can get at least ten contributors to sharing the observations from their virtual bar stools.
    That's a great idea! I'm around all week...

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I owe a Veil review, but today we stopped at Ardent and had their Honey Ginger - no BBA and the Defensenator, their dopplebock. Both excellent with the Honey Ginger bring world class.
    Nice distractions .

FA0F5AD5-39C5-49A5-9864-B3E5F9625D7E.jpgHidden Spring Ale Works
    Bears on a Rampage
    Berliner Weisse with Strawberries, Blueberries, Honey, Vanilla & Milk sugar

Pours and looks like a clear strawberry soda.

Smells like a strawberry milkshake.

Tastes like a “sour” strawberry milkshake.
    Not a great description but if you made a strawberry milkshake and added a sour beer, Bears on a Rampage is what you’d get.

Gift from a friend.

Super tasty in new for Father’s Day Teku 3.0 glasses.

Eventually I will post a right side up picture on DBR

Don't. It kind of fits...

Brew Bus You’re My Boy, Blue
    Blueberry Wheat Ale

Winner, GABF 2013 for its category

Woah- smells like a Dunkin Donuts Blueberry cake donut
    (While I rarely have donuts, a dunkin blueberry cake donut is among my favorites)

Tastes a little but like Boo Berry cereal (which I don’t think they make anymore).

My Boy Blue (big head nod to the movie Old School) is everything I had hoped a blueberry beer could be.

I think I now have 2 beers on my list of acceptable blueberry beer 😀

Veil Brewery

The best IPAs in Richmond, along with other interesting stouts and one off experimental beers. Just going to highlight our choices from Friday evening.

"The food and drink folks at Thrillist.com assembled "a crack team of experts" to find the best craft brewery in every state - and it should come as no surprise to Richmond beer lovers that The Veil Brewing Co. in Scott's Addition was named the best in Virginia." That was from 2018. They are really good.

PRBLMS - 11% ABV. New England IPA. TIPA brewed with the complex hop bill of Kohatu, Citra, Enigma, Mosaic, and Vic Secret. A new 11% Triple IPA, hopped with 50% Mosaic hops, 25% Citra, and 25% Enigma hops. Full bodied, citrusy, and dangerously easy to drink. Taste brings a touch of wet moss, and sticky tropical fruits including mango, peach, dank pineapple, and it ends with a bit of booziness.

All That You Are - 5.6% ABV. A Belgian saison, barrel-fermented, spelt Mixed Fermie™ that was conditioned for over a year in oak. Nice mineral character, bright juicy pear, dried lemon peel, delicate aromatics of vanilla and fresh flowers, elegant restrained funk and acid profile. I bought a bottle of this to bring home.

Curtains I - 8% ABV. This is a collaboration Sour DIPA with Hudson Valley BreweryBrewed with raw wheat, malted oat, milk sugar, sour cherries, and apricots. Hopped intensely with Galaxy, Mosaic, and a touch of Motueka. Daughter loved this one, drank like fruit juice.

Hollow Place - coconut. Another stout, imperial, with variants, this one coconut. 10.5% abv. Smooth, hint of coconut on the finish.

Hot Chocolate & Ancho Chili Hornswoggler - 7% ABV. The house chocolate Milk Stout brewed with extra chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla, ancho chilis, milk sugar, and a healthy dose of mini marshmallows according to the listing. They make more than a dozen variants of this and I wish I had gotten to try all of them:

Hornswoggler - Bourbon Pecan Butter And Oreos English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 30 4.27 -
    Hornswoggler - Breakfast Blend English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 18 3.95 -
    Hornswoggler - Candy Bar English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 9 4.11 -
    Hornswoggler - Cinnamon Streusel English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 21 4.17 -
    Hornswoggler - Coconut And Vanilla English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 5 4.27 -
    Hornswoggler - Double Chocolate English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 18 4 -
    Hornswoggler - Double Coconut English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 3 4.16 -
    Hornswoggler - Double Peanut Butter English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 13 3.99 -
    Hornswoggler - Double Stuffed Oreo And Cinnamon English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 6 4.31 -
    Hornswoggler - French Vanilla English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 21 4.16 -
    Hornswoggler - Maple Coconut English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 10 4.16 -
    Hornswoggler - Oreos English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 29 4.25 -
    Hornswoggler - Peanut Butter Cup English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 21 4.22 -
    Hornswoggler - S'mores English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 9 4.07 -
    Hornswoggler - Salted Caramel + Oreo English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 13 3.21 -
    Hornswoggler - Vanilla Cocoa Nib English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 13 4.13 -
    Hornswoggler - White Russian English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 18 4.09 -
    Hornswoggler - White Russian - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

So there is nothing Veil can't brew, nothing they won't try. They do IPAs better than anyone in Richmond, probably in all of Virginia. They were the best brewery in 2018 for a reason. They have a nice indoor tasting room, and a covered outdoor space if its not too hot.
    Last edited by accfanfrom1970; 06-16-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: spelliing

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    ...I've been drinking less beer since my month of going dry. ...I've been changing my diet to lose weight ...
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    ... Congrats on the weight loss and changing your habits/lifestyle!
    Some drink *more* beer to lose weight: https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019...losing-weight/

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Some drink *more* beer to lose weight: https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019...losing-weight/
    Headline says it all- only beer for 30 days.
    I’d flip a coin on if that would be a weight loss strategy, or an attitude adjustment along with weight gain. 🤣

Hidden Springs Ale Works ZFG
    Zero F***** Given

Pale Ale with Citra, Mosaic, Motueka Hops

Frothy head.
    Expected fruit salad nose with a pronounced piney note underneath.

Bitter up front, with subtle pineapple and mango.

A nice relatively low ABV pale ale at 5.5%.

Ha! Eventually, I'll post any picture right side up on DBR.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    The best IPAs in Richmond, along with other interesting stouts and one off experimental beers. Just going to highlight our choices from Friday evening.

"The food and drink folks at Thrillist.com assembled "a crack team of experts" to find the best craft brewery in every state - and it should come as no surprise to Richmond beer lovers that The Veil Brewing Co. in Scott's Addition was named the best in Virginia." That was from 2018. They are really good.

PRBLMS - 11% ABV. New England IPA. TIPA brewed with the complex hop bill of Kohatu, Citra, Enigma, Mosaic, and Vic Secret. A new 11% Triple IPA, hopped with 50% Mosaic hops, 25% Citra, and 25% Enigma hops. Full bodied, citrusy, and dangerously easy to drink. Taste brings a touch of wet moss, and sticky tropical fruits including mango, peach, dank pineapple, and it ends with a bit of booziness.

All That You Are - 5.6% ABV. A Belgian saison, barrel-fermented, spelt Mixed Fermie™ that was conditioned for over a year in oak. Nice mineral character, bright juicy pear, dried lemon peel, delicate aromatics of vanilla and fresh flowers, elegant restrained funk and acid profile. I bought a bottle of this to bring home.

Curtains I - 8% ABV. This is a collaboration Sour DIPA with Hudson Valley BreweryBrewed with raw wheat, malted oat, milk sugar, sour cherries, and apricots. Hopped intensely with Galaxy, Mosaic, and a touch of Motueka. Daughter loved this one, drank like fruit juice.

Hollow Place - coconut. Another stout, imperial, with variants, this one coconut. 10.5% abv. Smooth, hint of coconut on the finish.

Hot Chocolate & Ancho Chili Hornswoggler - 7% ABV. The house chocolate Milk Stout brewed with extra chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla, ancho chilis, milk sugar, and a healthy dose of mini marshmallows according to the listing. They make more than a dozen variants of this and I wish I had gotten to try all of them:

Hornswoggler - Bourbon Pecan Butter And Oreos English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 30 4.27 -
    Hornswoggler - Breakfast Blend English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 18 3.95 -
    Hornswoggler - Candy Bar English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 9 4.11 -
    Hornswoggler - Cinnamon Streusel English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 21 4.17 -
    Hornswoggler - Coconut And Vanilla English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 5 4.27 -
    Hornswoggler - Double Chocolate English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 18 4 -
    Hornswoggler - Double Coconut English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 3 4.16 -
    Hornswoggler - Double Peanut Butter English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 13 3.99 -
    Hornswoggler - Double Stuffed Oreo And Cinnamon English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 6 4.31 -
    Hornswoggler - French Vanilla English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 21 4.16 -
    Hornswoggler - Maple Coconut English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 10 4.16 -
    Hornswoggler - Oreos English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 29 4.25 -
    Hornswoggler - Peanut Butter Cup English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 21 4.22 -
    Hornswoggler - S'mores English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 9 4.07 -
    Hornswoggler - Salted Caramel + Oreo English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 13 3.21 -
    Hornswoggler - Vanilla Cocoa Nib English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 13 4.13 -
    Hornswoggler - White Russian English Sweet / Milk Stout 7.00 18 4.09 -
    Hornswoggler - White Russian - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

So there is nothing Veil can't brew, nothing they won't try. They do IPAs better than anyone in Richmond, probably in all of Virginia. They were the best brewery in 2018 for a reason. They have a nice indoor tasting room, and a covered outdoor space if its not too hot.
    Words fail me. That sounds amazing and we'll certainly make a stop there next month when we visit.

FA0F5AD5-39C5-49A5-9864-B3E5F9625D7E.jpgHidden Spring Ale Works
    Bears on a Rampage
    Berliner Weisse with Strawberries, Blueberries, Honey, Vanilla & Milk sugar

Pours and looks like a clear strawberry soda.

Smells like a strawberry milkshake.

Tastes like a “sour” strawberry milkshake.
    Not a great description but if you made a strawberry milkshake and added a sour beer, Bears on a Rampage is what you’d get.

Gift from a friend.

Super tasty in new for Father’s Day Teku 3.0 glasses.
    Brew Bus You’re My Boy, Blue
    Blueberry Wheat Ale

Winner, GABF 2013 for its category

Woah- smells like a Dunkin Donuts Blueberry cake donut
    (While I rarely have donuts, a dunkin blueberry cake donut is among my favorites)

Tastes a little but like Boo Berry cereal (which I don’t think they make anymore).

My Boy Blue (big head nod to the movie Old School) is everything I had hoped a blueberry beer could be.

I think I now have 2 beers on my list of acceptable blueberry beer 😀
    Hidden Springs Ale Works ZFG
    Zero F***** Given

Pale Ale with Citra, Mosaic, Motueka Hops

Frothy head.
    Expected fruit salad nose with a pronounced piney note underneath.

Bitter up front, with subtle pineapple and mango.

A nice relatively low ABV pale ale at 5.5%.
    I'm guessing these are from your Florida treasure trove delivered yesterday?

no. 5 -Brewery Bhavana

From their Cellar Door Series/Beer Club, courtesy of a fuse trading session late last year. Many thanks again!

"An imperial stout, which is blended with a bourbon barrel-aged version and aged over cocoa nibs, coffee, and vanilla."

750 ml bottle divided over two nights last week. There's no brewed on/best by dating so I'll guess this was brewed in mid-2018 and released late-2018.

Appearance: dark, dark brown with a generous, frothy tan head
    Aromas: chocolate, coffee and fudge
    Mouthfeel: as smooth as a JJ Redick three pointer
    Tastes: liquid, dark chocolate fudge lightly drizzled with bourbon and sipped with an espresso
    IBU: 60-estimated (heavily roasted grains bitterness)
    ABV: 11%-frighteningly smooth
    Overall impression: Another outstanding creation from BB. The bourbon was pretty subtle, likely a result of the blending and not a 100% BBA imperial stout. Made me think about the 12 ounce bottles of 2018 Curieux which is Allagash's BBA blended tripel which was excellent but had less booziness than the earlier vintage 750 ml bottles.

I tried a few beers this weekend from Stella, most of which you don't need to run out and buy.

Conceited Genius 2.0 - Wise Man - Juicy, Hoppy, Citrus IPA - decent. I'd rate 3.75

Go Ask Your Father - Casita Cerveceria - Pilsner - (Had to try this on Father's Day) - It's a good pilsner IF you're in the mood for a pilsner. I guess I wasn't. Clean, crisp, golden, but kinda bored me because it's just a good pilsner. I'd rate 3.5

Wicked Weed Funkatorium - La Bonte Rose - It's a good Saison, Rose grape flavor with some sour seems a bit weird at first, slightly bitter, but it's good. I'll rate it 3.5

If you aren't drinking any Wicked Weed Funkatorium, you're missing out if you like sours. Their Peach (Garcon de Ferme) is fantastic. You can really taste the tart peach after the initial sour if you're patient. Rated 4.25.

Burial - The Orphans of Consciousness Sour Ale - Complex, Sour, very good. Didn't blow me away like Burial usually does, but excellent. I'd rate 4.0.

I'll def look for some of the fun beers you all found recently!

Lanikai Brewing IIPA

I am hoping to get to their tasting room, but for now a bomber of this IIPA will suffice. More malty than most in this style, it still had a good bit of pine/resin and a little citrus. A good 8.1% way to watch the end of the US Open after a day tooling around the North Shore.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I tried a few beers this weekend from Stella, most of which you don't need to run out and buy.

Conceited Genius 2.0 - Wise Man - Juicy, Hoppy, Citrus IPA - decent. I'd rate 3.75

Go Ask Your Father - Casita Cerveceria - Pilsner - (Had to try this on Father's Day) - It's a good pilsner IF you're in the mood for a pilsner. I guess I wasn't. Clean, crisp, golden, but kinda bored me because it's just a good pilsner. I'd rate 3.5

Wicked Weed Funkatorium - La Bonte Rose - It's a good Saison, Rose grape flavor with some sour seems a bit weird at first, slightly bitter, but it's good. I'll rate it 3.5

If you aren't drinking any Wicked Weed Funkatorium, you're missing out if you like sours. Their Peach (Garcon de Ferme) is fantastic. You can really taste the tart peach after the initial sour if you're patient. Rated 4.25.

Burial - The Orphans of Consciousness Sour Ale - Complex, Sour, very good. Didn't blow me away like Burial usually does, but excellent. I'd rate 4.0.

I'll def look for some of the fun beers you all found recently!
    Quite a weekend. Thanks for sharing.

You might want to look for some HiWire (Asheville-original site and Derm-new last fall) products as they're focusing more on sours as of a couple years ago, IIRC.

New Belgium also makes some very good sours. Fuse has had more of those than I have.