Page 990 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 49089094098098898999099199210001040109014901990 ... LastLast
Results 19,781 to 19,800 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Budwom was kind enough to part with a 4 pack of Heady (might be the last/only time he performed such a random act of kindness ) about 5 years ago when we traveled to the northeast on a beer-cation. Worth the hype.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Birdsong Sunshine Gose: Salty, tart, hint of lemon. Wonderfully refreshing in these (hopefully gone for a while) 90-degree temperatures.
    Current temp of 63 in Raleigh with a forecast high of 80 today. Drink another one for me this afternoon, too, as I'm on-call and not imbibing adult beverages again until Monday evening.

A huge thanks to Mtn Devil and tbyers on their recs for the Outer Banks!

We did get to Outer Banks Brewing Station in Kill Devil Hills, and it was a fun atmosphere. They had live music and it was clearly the place to be after sunset for all the 20-somethings. The Outer Banks seems to shut down after about sunset, with everything closing around 8:30 even on a Saturday night. But not this place. They were hopping with live music. Food was good bar food. I tried their Outer Banks Reserve Sour #1 and was impressed! Apple cider vinegary punch (in a good way if that makes sense) and very refreshingly sour. I rated it at least 4.0.

Our favorite brewery in the Outer Banks was 1718 brewing on Ocracoke. They are a great brewery. Their food was great, not good. And so was their beer. I had a Mexican Chocolate stout which was smooth and chocolate tasty (without being too sweet). I'd rate it at least 4.25, one of my favorite stouts tried. It truly would be the perfect beer to have with that Dark Chocolate cherry ganache pie I'll win again 1 day. I also tried 1718's beer called Brunch: Coffee Kolsch. What a fantastic lunchtime beer. Classic Kolsch style, but smooth and nice good coffee flavor was just right. I'd rate it at least 4.0.

At a restaurant I also tried Weeping Radish Kolsch (can). I'm with devildeac - I just was not impressed. It was a reasonable Kolsch, but not great and I would not recommend. Rated 3.0

Otherwise I tried the Kill Devil Scotch Ale from Lost Colony Brewery. - 10% ABV and subtle, so packed a punch. I enjoyed tasting the scotch and would recommend getting this beer. I'm more used to BBA, so a good scotch beer was a nice drink. Rated 3.75

If you go to Ocracoke, and I would Highly recommend you do, talk to Mtn Devil for recs. He might be a Mtn Devil, but he's a very knowledgeable beach devil too. What beautiful solitary beaches, and what a beautiful, simple nearby island to visit. We enjoyed the ferry ride - you get out of your car and enjoy a 1 hour smooth and scenic cruise over.

As for this weekend, I see that Jugg Heads has the R & D Passionfruit Gose, so I'll get a 32 growler of that summer beer per fuse's recommendation. I'll find something else fun too. Cheers and go Duke Baseball!

Various Barrel Runner reviews since TW did the original on 12/28/18:

Just finished this, and it is a really interesting beer. The rum barrel aging is very evident, just on the nose (and you can quadruple it on the palate). Pours a golden brown, with a fairly small off-white head. My only criticism is a harsh aftertaste that is a little off-putting. Not sure I’d go out of my way to track this down, but if you like a dark rum, this beer should intrigue you.
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Barrel Runner (5/30/18 stamped on back label)-Founders Brewing

My turn-I moved it up "in the rotation" based on the above and it got good, quality minutes last PM in a snifter.

Interesting and intriguing are excellent impressions. I thought it a bit harsh beginning with the aromas but, as it warmed a bit over almost an hour, the scents "softened," along with the tastes. It's a rum barrel-aged IIPA so the IBUs are estimated to be fairly high, perhaps 70-80 range. They're countered by the 11.1% ABV, rather high for the style. Aromas are citrus fruits, rinds and all, along with wood and rum. Pretty complex palate with some orange liqueur, pineapple and grapefruit from the Citra hops, wood, toffee and, of course, high octane dark rum. I guess you could pair with some rum or chocolate balls but this is pretty substantial by itself. I'm surprised Total Wine had this last month and at a "reasonable" price of about $16 for the 4 pack. Several remain to age/trade/share.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Founders Barrel Runner
    2018 barrel aged series, bottled 5/30/2018

Mosaic hopped ale aged in rum barrels

I thought I had doused myself in a bottle of high proof rum when I poured the glass.

11.1% ABV???? 👀

So much for an afternoon easy sipper.

I don’t know if it was supposed to be hazy or not, the beer is cloudy with a good bit of suspended particulate.

Mosaic hops are no match for the rum barrel aging, or the high proof of the beer.
    All I can smell is mature oak and my nose is tickled by notes of rum.

The briefest initial glimmer of fruitiness from mosaic hops on the front of the palate.
    Midpalate reveals a bit of date/dark fruit sugar before a dry wood note surges in and finishes with a rum burn.

Wow, this is an eye openingly big beer.

There is nothing subtle about Barrel Runner.
    I wonder how alcohol hot this beer was a year ago, or if there were enough hops when fresh to have provided a citrus or pineapple twist.

Devildeac, thanks for sharing a Barrel Runner with me.

I don’t even think I was aware of this beer when it was released.

I’m going to let it warm up a bit and see how/if it changes.
    My next-to-last one sipped on Thursday night, its one year anniversary:

Barrel Runner-Founders Brewing Company

From the same litter on 5/30/18.

I think this has "aged" or "softened" a bit from my January, 2019 tasting with less "heat" now but still a big, big beer. Lots of rummy aromas and tastes that still over-power the Citra hops. I suspect I'll bring the last one to a tailgate this fall to share among several attendees. I've liked most other Founders' brews from their Barrel Series over the last few years but still happy to have bought and tasted this variation.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    A huge thanks to Mtn Devil and tbyers on their recs for the Outer Banks!

We did get to Outer Banks Brewing Station in Kill Devil Hills, and it was a fun atmosphere. They had live music and it was clearly the place to be after sunset for all the 20-somethings. The Outer Banks seems to shut down after about sunset, with everything closing around 8:30 even on a Saturday night. But not this place. They were hopping with live music. Food was good bar food. I tried their Outer Banks Reserve Sour #1 and was impressed! Apple cider vinegary punch (in a good way if that makes sense) and very refreshingly sour. I rated it at least 4.0.

Our favorite brewery in the Outer Banks was 1718 brewing on Ocracoke. They are a great brewery. Their food was great, not good. And so was their beer. I had a Mexican Chocolate stout which was smooth and chocolate tasty (without being too sweet). I'd rate it at least 4.25, one of my favorite stouts tried. It truly would be the perfect beer to have with that Dark Chocolate cherry ganache pie I'll win again 1 day. I also tried 1718's beer called Brunch: Coffee Kolsch. What a fantastic lunchtime beer. Classic Kolsch style, but smooth and nice good coffee flavor was just right. I'd rate it at least 4.0.

At a restaurant I also tried Weeping Radish Kolsch (can). I'm with devildeac - I just was not impressed. It was a reasonable Kolsch, but not great and I would not recommend. Rated 3.0

Otherwise I tried the Kill Devil Scotch Ale from Lost Colony Brewery. - 10% ABV and subtle, so packed a punch. I enjoyed tasting the scotch and would recommend getting this beer. I'm more used to BBA, so a good scotch beer was a nice drink. Rated 3.75

If you go to Ocracoke, and I would Highly recommend you do, talk to Mtn Devil for recs. He might be a Mtn Devil, but he's a very knowledgeable beach devil too. What beautiful solitary beaches, and what a beautiful, simple nearby island to visit. We enjoyed the ferry ride - you get out of your car and enjoy a 1 hour smooth and scenic cruise over.

As for this weekend, I see that Jugg Heads has the R & D Passionfruit Gose, so I'll get a 32 growler of that summer beer per fuse's recommendation. I'll find something else fun too. Cheers and go Duke Baseball!
    Thanks for the reviews from your beer-cation!

Current temp of 63 in Raleigh with a forecast high of 80 today. Drink another one for me this afternoon, too, as I'm on-call and not imbibing adult beverages again until Monday evening.
    Well, if you insist ...
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Bingo Beer - in Scott’s Addition on Broad Street in Richmond. Fairly new brewery in a old renovated bingo parlor. Tried a flight (first visit) -

Bingo Lager - German style lager, crisp, light, a bit of citrus. 4.8%. Nice start.
    Black Lager - dark lager, also 4.8%. Also light but with a roasty, coffee finish. Just ok to me.
    Patio Vibes - grisette w/spelt, wheat, oats and Huell Melon hops. Also crisp and light, 4.4%. Didn’t go after the Black lager. Worth another try.
    Jaguar YUU - Mexican style amber corn lager, part of their global lager series. This one was the best of the four, had a little more body and maybe it was the corn but had a different but nice finish, 5.3%.

First visit here, attraction is more they have a full time kitchen with decent bar food. Have a full bar with specialty cocktails. Large TVs ( now showing soccer), and a game section with skee ball, pool tables and pin ball machines. Definitely a crowd today.

Well, if you insist ...
    I hope your arm doesn't hurt too much after the twisting and the multiple 12 ounce curls you've performed so far today.

I hope your arm doesn't hurt too much after the twisting and the multiple 12 ounce curls you've performed so far today.
    16-ounce

16-ounce
    And all without PED:

150px-Arm_flex_supinate.jpg

Had my first Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in I don’t know how long, and it is delightful.

Simple pleasures.
    Cheers! 🍻

And all without PED:

150px-Arm_flex_supinate.jpg

Sun’s out, guns out.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Welp, tried an R&D Passionfruit Gose draft that was quite tasty.
    That said it absolutely wrecked my palate for a follow up White Street Kolsch, which politely said tasted like bad draft lines. 😢

After leaving the fine establishment that served me those two beverages I walked to Bottle Rev Apex out of curiosity. Without mincing words, compared to Bottle Rev on Lake Boone Trail, Bottle Rev Apex sucks.

I did manage to have an 8oz Mother Earth Rose IPA there.
    Not enough to redeem Bottle Rev Apex, but certainly enough to say it was a good beer.
    I agree with fuse. The R & D Passionfruit Gose is excellent. It's a good balance of clean, salty, tart finish, sour, and yes passionfruit. It's not subtle, but it's not too fruity either. I didn't think I liked passionfruit but I like this. The aroma from the head is all passionfruit. It's 4.5% ABV, 9 IBU, and fermented with passionfruit puree. It's a good refreshing summer beer. I'd rate it 4.0.

Also today I got tickets for the Voracious and Rare Beer Festival (presented by Lighthouse Beer & Wine) on the USS Battleship NC in Wilmington NC on Fri. Oct. 25 - 6 pm to 9 pm. I'm excited. If anybody else wants to go, we can toast some good beer. Cheers and Go Duke Baseball!!

I agree with fuse. The R & D Passionfruit Gose is excellent. It's a good balance of clean, salty, tart finish, sour, and yes passionfruit. It's not subtle, but it's not too fruity either. I didn't think I liked passionfruit but I like this. The aroma from the head is all passionfruit. It's 4.5% ABV, 9 IBU, and fermented with passionfruit puree. It's a good refreshing summer beer. I'd rate it 4.0.

Also today I got tickets for the Voracious and Rare Beer Festival (presented by Lighthouse Beer & Wine) on the USS Battleship NC in Wilmington NC on Fri. Oct. 25 - 6 pm to 9 pm. I'm excited. If anybody else wants to go, we can toast some good beer. Cheers and Go Duke Baseball!!
    Live reports?

Live reports?
    I'll try, but it looks right up your alley. Hope to see y'all there!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/voracio...aff=erelexpmlt

I'll try, but it looks right up your alley. Hope to see y'all there!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/voracio...aff=erelexpmlt
    That looks/sounds fantastic, however, I found out that Mrs. dd has already booked us for attendance at a local concert that evening. Ymm, Beer will have to depend on your "live stream."

That looks/sounds fantastic, however, I found out that Mrs. dd has already booked us for attendance at a local concert that evening. Ymm, Beer will have to depend on your "live stream."
    You're a Wiseman Devildeac (of course a beer drinker from W-S would say that).

If any others on Ymm Beer make it, I've heard good things about this event. Maybe we have a Left Hook Lacey sighting/toasting - he hails from Wilmington.

Cheers and Go Duke baseball!

Abita Rye Pale Ale. I think I reviewed it before, but I’ve been on this rye kick with beers and had to try it again. It is excellent, not as good as the Boulevard Rye on Rye, but still really good. It has the oak, vanilla and bourbon notes (BBA), but the pale and Munich malts add a bit of sweetness and a bit of a bread aroma. Has centennial hops the label says adds citrus flavor, but I didn’t get any citrus.

I’m guessing with Abita so well distributed this has been tried by many others, if not it is an excellent BBA rye beer worth trying. Was $10 for a 650ml bottle, 9.5% abv.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Abita Rye Pale Ale. I think I reviewed it before, but I’ve been on this rye kick with beers and had to try it again. It is excellent, not as good as the Boulevard Rye on Rye, but still really good. It has the oak, vanilla and bourbon notes (BBA), but the pale and Munich malts add a bit of sweetness and a bit of a bread aroma. Has centennial hops the label says adds citrus flavor, but I didn’t get any citrus.

I’m guessing with Abita so well distributed this has been tried by many others, if not it is an excellent BBA rye beer worth trying. Was $10 for a 650ml bottle, 9.5% abv.
    I have never seen any barrel-aged Abita ales and not sure any of the other Ymm, Beer co-conspirators have reviewed any either. Sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post

I had a 4 pack of this in the cart at Total Wine last week and swapped it out for Fullsteam Steak Knives to accompany Fullsteam McRae Cray and 2 Haw River litters of 4, Demitasse and Short Crust.