Page 99 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 49899798991001011091491995991099 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Better than the first run through, which was a pretty good brew in and of itself.

This time several things to note:
    Appearance: Brown, not black, nice carbonation, tannish hue to the head. The head held up very nicely. No cloudiness, no excess particulate.
    Taste: Definitely more roasted flavor to this. Less initial bite, but more complex, and more roasted in flavor as it melded with mid-taste. Seriously, the IBU's may have gone down on this, as more malt seems to pop up later in the taste.
    Aftertaste: Smooth, a tad alcohol-y (7.8 on the instant Lavabe guess-o-meter), blended nicely with less bitterness.

Definitely a ymm, beer:

A little aging only helped this beer ... which didn't need a whole lot of help to begin with.

Well done!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    And don't forget I have several other varieties "maturing" for you in the "cellar."

What?! Did anyone enjoy any fine winter ales last evening they wish to discuss?

I did not read through the countless pages but some of my favorite beers are

1) Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale
    2) Orange Blossom Pilsner 2
    3) Shock Top

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blue Devil View Post
    I did not read through the countless pages but some of my favorite beers are

1) Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale
    2) Orange Blossom Pilsner 2
    3) Shock Top
    I may break down and buy some singles of the new AB "micros." I didin't like the WBCA too much. The American Pale Ale and Shock Top sound interesting. If you like the cask ale, try a couple of the Kentucky Bourbon Aged ales or just wander around the specialty beer section and look to see which ones have been aged like that and buy one or two of each. We'd love to hear some other thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I may break down and buy some singles of the new AB "micros." I didin't like the WBCA too much. The American Pale Ale and Shock Top sound interesting. If you like the cask ale, try a couple of the Kentucky Bourbon Aged ales or just wander around the specialty beer section and look to see which ones have been aged like that and buy one or two of each. We'd love to hear some other thoughts.
    I will check that out.

I didn't care much for the Pale Ale, it was very hoppy to me.

Shock Top is most comparable to Blue Moon, but no need for an orange. It is a Michelob (AB) brew.

With a huge Bud Brewery only 15 minutes away I try to stop by once every other month to see what is new with AB (stupid InBev)

Blue Moon also has winter ale called (I believe) Full Moon. Comes in a white box. Very good.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I gave the Shock Top a try a while ago, I found it to be weakly bodied and a touch forced on the flavoring. Find a 6 of Leinenhugel Sunset Wheat and have a much better brew. The American Pale Ale is a better attempt, but still weak bodied. But they did a better job on the taste, pretty well hopped for a mass production.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blue Devil View Post
    Shock Top is most comparable to Blue Moon, but no need for an orange. It is a Michelob (AB) brew.
    That's a good one (Blue Moon) for comparison and can be found just abot everywhere. I've never had an orange with it, I'll have to give it a shot.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

And don't forget I have several other varieties "maturing" for you in the "cellar."
    I will appreciate them later this year.

I've been sick all week but am finally over my cold and looking to have a beer while I do some work (work on Friday? Boo!).

I'm willing to put my evening beer selection up to the wonderful DBR beer minds.

Should I have:

1. Russian River-Damnation Belgian Golden
    2. Avery-Ale to the Chief Presidential Pale Ale
    3. DFH-PSM Imperial Brown Ale
    4. Great Divide-Yeti Imperial Stout
    5. Avery-Fifteen Belgian Farmhouse Ale (bottled in Spring of 2008)
    6. DFH-Olde School Barleywine

If it helps, I'm making tandoori chicken with a roasted tomato jam for dinner

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    ... I'm willing to put my evening beer selection up to the wonderful DBR beer minds.

Should I have:

I might suggest going with #5 on that list with your fixin's!!! Yum, Yumm! I'll give you my address for left overs! Just email me!

Quote Originally Posted by cl15876 View Post
    I might suggest going with #5 on that list with your fixin's!!! Yum, Yumm! I'll give you my address for left overs! Just email me!
    Have you had the Fifteen? It didn't sell very well and, as a result, my liquor store has cases of it left from last spring. I love it, so every few times I'm in there, I pick up a bottle. I have enough to open a bottle every 6 months or so for 3-4 years to see how the beer ages.

I've been sick all week but am finally over my cold and looking to have a beer while I do some work (work on Friday? Boo!).

I'm willing to put my evening beer selection up to the wonderful DBR beer minds.

Should I have:

1. Russian River-Damnation Belgian Golden
    2. Avery-Ale to the Chief Presidential Pale Ale
    3. DFH-PSM Imperial Brown Ale
    4. Great Divide-Yeti Imperial Stout
    6. DFH-Olde School Barleywine

I am sure I missed the timing on this one but maybe for a future dinner:

1. IDK
    2. I liked this one-good choice
    3. Might be a bit too strong for taste and ABV-but you know it's d@mn good
    4. IDK
    5. IDK
    6. Have this for dessert after the dinner

What ever became of your Belgian evening?

Have you had the Fifteen? It didn't sell very well and, as a result, my liquor store has cases of it left from last spring. I love it, so every few times I'm in there, I pick up a bottle. I have enough to open a bottle every 6 months or so for 3-4 years to see how the beer ages.
    That is a well-conceived plan. I have done that with a few beers and continue to be intrigued how some of them change with aging.

I am sure I missed the timing on this one but maybe for a future dinner:

1. IDK
    2. I liked this one-good choice
    3. Might be a bit too strong for taste and ABV-but you know it's d@mn good
    4. IDK
    5. IDK
    6. Have this for dessert after the dinner

What ever became of your Belgian evening?
    I ended up going with the pale ale. Spicy food and pale ales just go well with one another. It was also the beer on the list that has a definitive shelf life and it needed to be drank.

Belgian evening was enjoyable. Started with the Rochefort, moved on to Duvel with my mussels, and finished with a Chimay Blue. If I were thinking it through better, I would've ended with the Rochefort, which was excellent.

I ended up going with the pale ale. Spicy food and pale ales just go well with one another. It was also the beer on the list that has a definitive shelf life and it needed to be drank.

Belgian evening was enjoyable. Started with the Rochefort, moved on to Duvel with my mussels, and finished with a Chimay Blue. If I were thinking it through better, I would've ended with the Rochefort, which was excellent.
    Haven't had a Rochefort for quite a while. Are they rather funky and sour tasting ales?

Haven't had a Rochefort for quite a while. Are they rather funky and sour tasting ales?
    Funky maybe but not sour..sweet and smooth..I've never tried the 6 but the 8 is great and the 10 is in my top 5. I'm going to have one tonight in my special belgium ale goblet...

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    Funky maybe but not sour..sweet and smooth..I've never tried the 6 but the 8 is great and the 10 is in my top 5. I'm going to have one tonight in my special belgium ale goblet...
    That's one thing I'm lacking is "specialty" beer glasses/goblets.

#2000 coming up here soon. Any one out there with a fabulous brew they would like to review? Sam Adams Millenium? Utopia? Thomas Hardy 10-15 year old ale?

Red face Just a thought on #2000

Perhaps we should set the field of 65, and have the first matchup occur on #2000.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Perhaps we should set the field of 65, and have the first matchup occur on #2000.

Just a thought.
    And a good one, too.