Page 980 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 4808809309709789799809819829901030108014801980 ... LastLast
Results 19,581 to 19,600 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I appreciate this post because I want to try good beer and I don't know this stuff.

Tonight I tried Terrapin Beer Co. Watermelon Gose (4.5% ABV, 7 IBU) on draft and rally enjoyed it. This is tart, refreshing, and IMO an underrated beer. Maybe the criticism is that you can definitely taste the Watermelon.But not a criticism from me. It wasn't fruity and was a very nice, perfectly sour but not too sour refreshing summer beer. I rated it 4.0.

Then I got the Victory Sour Monkey on draft. I'm sorry, but I agree with Turk. I thought this was overrated for a sour, and just felt like I've had better. I'd rate it 3.25 and would pass if I saw it again. I agree - 9.5 % ABV with lemon taste and not tasting boozey, but not all that.

I'm in Outer Banks all week for first time ever. I'm done with living in NC all my life and never having seen these beaches. Any recommendations for beer or good places to drink beer out here?

Cheers!
    You're really hitting those Big Beer/former craft breweries pretty hard.

"In July 2016, MillerCoors announced its majority stake in Terrapin, ending its status as a craft brewery."

You can't possibly agree with Turk. Nobody agrees with Turk (). Depending on cost, I *might* agree with you, too. I think the last Sour Monkeys I had were last summer with one being from a beer club 4 pack and the other from a Victory 12 pack sampler ($15? $18?) from which I traded one of each variety with August West. My cost for each 12 ounce can was <$2, so they were beer bargains for me.

I can't help you with any Outer Banks suggestions except to avoid Weeping Radish. Even though they are the first NC craft brewery (IIRC), I've never liked their products. Maybe looking for Duck-Rabbit stuff on tap or some other Casita Cerveceria ales.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

"In July 2016, MillerCoors announced its majority stake in Terrapin, ending its status as a craft brewery."

You can't possibly agree with Turk. Nobody agrees with Turk (). Depending on cost, I *might* agree with you, too. I think the last Sour Monkeys I had were last summer with one being from a beer club 4 pack and the other from a Victory 12 pack sampler ($15? $18?) from which I traded one of each variety with August West. My cost for each 12 ounce can was <$2, so they were beer bargains for me.

I can't help you with any Outer Banks suggestions except to avoid Weeping Radish. Even though they are the first NC craft brewery (IIRC), I've never liked their products. Maybe looking for Duck-Rabbit stuff on tap or some other Casita Cerveceria ales.
    I have recently had the Weeping Radish OBX kolsch and Black Raddish black lager. Neither was turrrrrrible.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

"In July 2016, MillerCoors announced its majority stake in Terrapin, ending its status as a craft brewery
    ."

Not too guilty this time. We had a 1 hour wait for a table to watch the Sunset at Millers Waterfront restaurant (Nags Head) and the 10 beers they had on draft were all rated lower than what I'm used to from Stella on Untapped. So I figured great time to try a gose. I chose wisely.

Miller Coors bought the Turtle - cool. Maybe the corn syrup is why that gose was so good.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 05-19-2019 at 10:39 PM.

An imperial stout.
    Funny you should say that, as I had the Platform Emo Smores stout with it. Quite delicious, chocolate and marshmallow.

We can start any day...

Interesting observation is that the 750s are typically about $18. I got half a case in Chicago last summer for about $11 each, tax included. Accfanfrom1970 got 4 as traders and I kept two, one is chilling as mentioned above for tasting later this week. The 750s remain priced at about $18 but the 4 packs are also about the same price, a much lower cost per ounce than the large format.
    What I wonder is if the 12oz and 750ml come out of the same barrel. I am pretty sure Allagash has different bottling lines for 12oz and 750ml.

I kid you not, there is a Ludwig, MA, brewery named Iron Duke. I had their “Juneau Alaska Pale Ale” tonight. It was quite tasty. Carlos Boozer would be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I kid you not, there is a Ludwig, MA, brewery named Iron Duke. I had their “Juneau Alaska Pale Ale” tonight. It was quite tasty. Carlos Boozer would be proud.
    Yep you had to try that tonight on general principle to toast Trajan's big hire.

I have recently had the Weeping Radish OBX kolsch and Black Raddish black lager. Neither was turrrrrrible.
    Good to read. They're having a free sausage/beer pairing/tasting at Bottle Revolution later this month or in June. I may have to give them another tasting.

Yep you had to try that tonight on general principle to toast Trajan's big hire.
    Minute I saw it, I knew this beer was an assassin.

Not too guilty this time. We had a 1 hour wait for a table to watch the Sunset at Millers Waterfront restaurant (Nags Head) and the 10 beers they had on draft were all rated lower than what I'm used to from Stella on Untapped. So I figured great time to try a gose. I chose wisely.

Miller Coors bought the Turtle - cool. Maybe the corn syrup is why that gose was so good.
    Yanking your chain a bit more. Our younger son-in-law attended a bachelor party weekend in Athens, GA last fall and visited the Terrapin Beer Company and was impressed with their physical plant, personnel and beers they had on draft and brought three 500 ml bottles to share from their Wake-n-Bake series. IIRC, they were a tart cherry imperial stout, a raspberry imperial stout and Moo-Tella and all were excellent. To quote/paraphrase Tripping William again, "It's tough to remain pure."

Corn syrup=LOL. That gose actually sounds really tasty for a warm, spring evening on the NC coast. If you like the watermelon gose, you might look for 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon or Deep River's Watermelon Lager (Double D?), which, despite fuse's ancient run-in with Johnston County deputies (), is a pretty good spring/summer beer.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Funny you should say that, as I had the Platform Emo Smores stout with it. Quite delicious, chocolate and marshmallow.
    Even funnier is that I just finished my second and final can of that about 5 minutes ago and hesitated suggesting that you have cookies with your cake 24.gif.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    What I wonder is if the 12oz and 750ml come out of the same barrel. I am pretty sure Allagash has different bottling lines for 12oz and 750ml.

I'd think they would have to have to be different but that is an interesting thought.

In my extremely limited can collection, I have an empty can of Duke Beer from the Duquesne Brewing Company.

I appreciate this post because I want to try good beer and I don't know this stuff.

I'm in Outer Banks all week for first time ever. I'm done with living in NC all my life and never having seen these beaches. Any recommendations for beer or good places to drink beer out here?

Cheers!
    Outer Banks Brewing Station has a nice brewpub vibe. Good food and good beer made on premises. Nice outdoor seating area too.

It's on the main drag just south of the Wright Brothers Memorial
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Outer Banks Brewing Station has a nice brewpub vibe. Good food and good beer made on premises. Nice outdoor seating area too.

It's on the main drag just south of the Wright Brothers Memorial
    More great info on Ymm, Beer, and from Florida, too, when none of the "locals" could help out poor richardjackson199.

I can see Tripping William planning his next golf outing around this one:

Rum Barrel Aged Imperial Pineapple Thief IPA - Imperial / Double New England

• 9.4% ABV

• Southern Pines Brewing Company

The base beer is excellent (Pineapple Thief) and I can only imagine what the RBA does to/for it .

Tonight I tried Terrapin Beer Co. Watermelon Gose (4.5% ABV, 7 IBU) on draft and really enjoyed it. This is tart, refreshing, and IMO an underrated beer. Maybe the criticism is that you can definitely taste the Watermelon.But not a criticism from me. It wasn't fruity and was a very nice, perfectly sour but not too sour refreshing summer beer. I rated it 4.0.

Then I got the Victory Sour Monkey on draft. I'm sorry, but I agree with Turk. I thought this was overrated for a sour, and just felt like I've had better. I'd rate it 3.25 and would pass if I saw it again. I agree - 9.5 % ABV with lemon taste and not tasting boozey, but not all that.

Cheers!
    It's a haul to get there, but Ocracoke has a recently opened brewery which is a beautiful building with some dang tasty quaffs. Also, it happens to be my favorite island.

More great info on Ymm, Beer, and from Florida, too, when none of the "locals" could help out poor richardjackson199.
    Hah!

I was in the Outer Banks last September for a wedding. This place checked all my boxes (local craft beer, good menu, and kid friendly). Keeping the 6 year old happy with outdoor play equipment was a big plus
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

I can see Tripping William planning his next golf outing around this one:

Rum Barrel Aged Imperial Pineapple Thief IPA - Imperial / Double New England

• 9.4% ABV

• Southern Pines Brewing Company

The base beer is excellent (Pineapple Thief) and I can only imagine what the RBA does to/for it .
    Sounds awesome. Will definitely be searching it out the next time we are in the Sandhills.

Tasting room for Trillium is not far from the Beantown Convention Center. Will have to find a way to pay a visit ...