Page 949 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 449849899939947948949950951959999104914491949 ... LastLast
Results 18,961 to 18,980 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I did have a "heller" bock from the Red Oak Biergarten (Whitsett, NC, next to the brewery) a couple days ago. Appropriately named 1516 Heller Bock. 12 ounces of Springtime in a Stein. Honey-gold in color, 7% alcohol, 22 IBUs. Like all of their beers, unfiltered and not pasteurized. Malty and yeasty like it's supposed to be, fresh beer is good! This German beer had about an inch of foam that left quickly. In fact the whole beer went down fast and easily, as it was almost closing time.
    This is indeed a very good beer. Does Red Oak also make a double bock beer?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    This is indeed a very good beer. Does Red Oak also make a double bock beer?
    Yes, I believe they do. Called Black Oak. From 4-7-18:

Finally was able to hit-up the new space off I-40 in beautiful Whitsett, NC. Great new space at America's largest lager-only brewing facility. The Urban Street Grill food truck was there. Sampled the Battlefield bock (malty deliciousness) and the Black Oak doppelbock (darker, even more malty, and even more delicious). They have a great concept going at Red Oak, and it is definitely worth a visit.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    The always dependable Tripping William delivers the goods when requested.

Yep. I've tried it also. Good beer. My wife loves their Hummin'Bird Golden Lager. She also enjoys a 50-50 mix of Hummin'Bird and Red Oak Amber, which is called a Redbird in the Biergarten lingo.

If you need a reason to drink more beer (what?), I have found that the more you drink at Red Oak, the less likely you'll have your breath taken away when somebody loses at Giant Jenga!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Drink local -Hardywood Great Return -at the Altria theatre in Richmond , Joe Bonamassa concert - they serve bud light and Great Return. So a very easy decision. An ipa, pours golden, very hoppy, tastes and aromas of citrus, maybe peach, grapefruit. 7.5% and a 16oz. can. Very drinkable, bitter and hoppy at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Drink local -Hardywood Great Return -at the Altria theatre in Richmond , Joe Bonamassa concert - they serve bud light and Great Return. So a very easy decision. An ipa, pours golden, very hoppy, tastes and aromas of citrus, maybe peach, grapefruit. 7.5% and a 16oz. can. Very drinkable, bitter and hoppy at the end.
    That was an easy decision.

Cart-Brewery Bhavana

Local! Again!

Canned on
    10/18/2018 14:40:03

Labeled as a Triple IPA on the pint can. (I'll do a bit of research on that style of beer.)

After sipping this last PM in two equal portions from a wine glass, I can only imagine what this was like fresher as it was pretty amazing at 5 months old.

A vigorous pour brought forth a turbid, orange-yellow brew with a voluminous head. It really smelled and tasted like this, which also contains pineapple juice:

juice-chilled-orange-peach-mango-tile.jpg

There's also some citrus rind and pith on the palate. I'll guess IBUs about 70-80 but bitterness perception was somewhat mild. ABV listed at 9.5% and it was noticeable near the end of my tasting without feeling/tasting boozy up-front. I think this ended up costing under $6 for the 16 ounces and was totally worth it. Our son's review consisted of, "OMG, what a beer!" Highly recommended.

Some triple IPA reading:

https://www.hopculture.com/what-is-a-triple-ipa/

Another; this one with a "leaderboard" to help you decide/learn:

https://beergraphs.com/bg/182-whats-a-triple-ipa/

Burial Beer taproom in Raleigh will more-than-triple its space this summer:

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/...227453074.html

Brew it (well) and they will come.

Burial Beer taproom in Raleigh will more-than-triple its space this summer:

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/...227453074.html

Brew it (well) and they will come.
    Best brewery in the state?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Might be a tie with Brewery Bhavana. I think the next tier includes Fullsteam, NoDa, Haw River and likely 1 or 2 others I'm forgetting that fuse and Tripping William will readily remember. I can't comment on Zillicothe (sp?) yet because no one has brought me any tastings .

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Only a matter of taste.

Might be a tie with Brewery Bhavana. I think the next tier includes Fullsteam, NoDa, Haw River and likely 1 or 2 others I'm forgetting that fuse and Tripping William will readily remember. I can't comment on Zillicothe (sp?) yet because no one has brought me any tastings .
    What, nothing from Johnston County?

Not having had any experience with Brewery Bhavana (shame on me, I know), I can't comment on that nominee. Burial is terrific. I think Haw River is right in the running, though. And I'll put in a plug for Foothills as among those in "the next tier" (would that be "Q2"?).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

What, nothing from Johnston County?

Not having had any experience with Brewery Bhavana (shame on me, I know), I can't comment on that nominee. Burial is terrific. I think Haw River is right in the running, though. And I'll put in a plug for Foothills as among those in "the next tier" (would that be "Q2"?).
    LOL at JoCo.

Not sure how much BB stuff gets outside of Raleigh so you get a pass there . Perhaps we could make Haw River a #1 seed . I'd go along with Foothills as a "Q2" program, along with a lot of other good teams, err, breweries.

Why? Because we haven't had a list in a while . How many of these Baltic Porters have you sipped?

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/80/

Since there is no “Ymmmm, music” thread I’ll just share that I listened to Miles Davis’ I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es Brew (or at least the first 12 minutes of it) on the way to work today.

Really enjoyed it.

Why? Because we haven't had a list in a while . How many of these Baltic Porters have you sipped?

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/80/
    Not a style I enjoy so not surprising I’ve only had two- Duck Rabbit and 3F. I’m not certain about a third, Gonzo Imperial Porter from Flying Dog.

I wish I could describe just how awfully my palate responds to Baltic Porters. Whether it is the yeast, combination of malts, I shudder even thinking about sipping a baltic porter.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Since there is no “Ymmmm, music” thread I’ll just share that I listened to Miles Davis’ I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es Brew (or at least the first 12 minutes of it) on the way to work today.

Really enjoyed it.
    Happy to read you "only" listened to it...

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Not a style I enjoy so not surprising I’ve only had two- Duck Rabbit and 3F. I’m not certain about a third, Gonzo Imperial Porter from Flying Dog.

I wish I could describe just how awfully my palate responds to Baltic Porters. Whether it is the yeast, combination of malts, I shudder even thinking about sipping a baltic porter.
    Those are my three, also. I don't search for those when beer-hunting and the last one I recall sipping was 3F's Topless Wytch, which I "appreciated" and was happy to add to my list of Three Floyd's brews I've sampled but will not re-visit that one.

Hardywood put out their Banana Bread Ale on tap. It was offered in bottles only to family tree members. It’s a Belgian Quad, brewed with cinnamon, walnut and of course banana. Very drinkable, not heavy at all like a stout. Yet, 9.5%abv. Get the cinnamon up front, banana at the back. Had to let it warm up for about 30 minutes to really enjoy it. Luckily only family members can get a growler fill, so I’ll be drinking it while cheering on our guys this eeekend.

As a side note one of the other family tree only offerings is a bourbon barrel aged barleywine at 14%. I haven’t opened mine, planning on bringing it down for Mr. West and Devildeac this fall. But apparently the reviews have been so good they’ve entered it in the international judging I think in Australia this year.