Page 948 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 448848898938946947948949950958998104814481948 ... LastLast
Results 18,941 to 18,960 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Interesting. I was wondering what beverage might reflect K's Karacter. It's got to age well.
    My nominee:

https://brewpublic.com/beer-releases...d-barley-wine/

Why?

"Through its history this beer has featured prominent “knuckleheads” of Portland that include one of the city’s most famous mayors, Bud Clark and the beer’s 11th bottling featured legendary beer writer Fred Eckhardt. There’s even a room at the BridgePort Pub that features plaster imprints of knuckles from these “knuckleheads."

I *almost* nominated my father for this honor when he was living.

Well, you did say "aged."

"... beer was barrel aged..."

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Opposing teams would say Old Rasputin.

Thinking on Zion again, he probably ought to be a Westbrook offering of some sort, but I find that insufficient.

Zion is probably Brew Dog’s The End of History.

The coaching staff presents some other challenges to consider.

Nate James- what is the most badass beer?

Carrawell - certainly a beer from Urban Chestnut in St. Louis

Scheyer- perhaps something from Chicago, or a beer that riffs on eye injury shortened career.

Nolan- a beer that everybody loves. That’s a tall task. Maybe something from Dogfish Head.
    My nominee for Zion would be Trophy's Heavyweight Champ.

I'm going to have to ponder the others.

Ok, here’s my shot:

Zion Williamson - so difficult. Perhaps Goliath?

Cam Reddish - Troeg’s Nugget Nectar. Great when its available.

Tre Jones - Surly Hell Lager. For the defensive prowess he exerts against opponents. For them, its a hellish game. (GTHC!)

RJ Barrett - Peche Mortel. A smooth, amazing Canadian Imperial stout that will take your breath away.

Javin DeLaurier - Devil’s Backbone Vienna Lager. Always excellent although sometimes you hope for more.

Joey Baker - The Unknown Brewing Company Pre Game. Perhaps the less said, the better other than I expect the best is yet to come.

Jordan Goldwire - Yazoo Sue. An awesome beer from an unexpected source.

Alex O’Connell - Creature Comforts Reclaimed Rye. Will the son’s career eclipse the father’s?

Marques Bolden - Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin. Smooth, versatile.

Antonio Vrankovic - Zmaskjo Pale Ale. A Croatian craft brew for the big guy from Croatia.

Jack White - Sorry, Jack. Gonna go with the Foster’s Oil Can. Really tasty in the right moments.

Justin Robinson - Shiner Bock. Suffers from high expectations.

Mike Buckmire - Yuengling lager. Always going to be there for you.

Brennan Besser - Going to go with Miller Lite. Given his cross country trip for charity, you need something available across the country.

I am sure I could have a lot (more) fun with this. Thanks again for a great idea!
    I found another nominee for RJ Barrett:

Three Floyds' Permanent Funeral after his comment on how/why this year's Brotherhood liked to wear black unis at away games.

Opposing teams would say Old Rasputin.

Thinking on Zion again, he probably ought to be a Westbrook offering of some sort, but I find that insufficient.

Zion is probably Brew Dog’s The End of History.

The coaching staff presents some other challenges to consider.

Nate James- what is the most badass beer?

Carrawell - certainly a beer from Urban Chestnut in St. Louis

Scheyer- perhaps something from Chicago, or a beer that riffs on eye injury shortened career.

Nolan- a beer that everybody loves. That’s a tall task. Maybe something from Dogfish Head.
    I think I got this one:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26850/79405/

Citra I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. Down!-Against The Grain Brewery & Smokehouse

Citra High-Madtree Brewing Company

Canned
    09:39:04
    CORYDIDIT

(I only posted what was on the bottom of the can.)

Trade local, then bring home to drink!

From their limited series, this 12 ounce can yielded an orange-yellow, slightly cloudy elixir with a moderate, foamy head after a vigorous pour. This could have been a collaboration with Dole or Tropicana juices as the nose was a delightful mixture of pineapple, grapefruit and orange juice scents. First taste was pineapple, followed by orange zest/rind, then more juicy stuff with grapefruit, orange and peaches. There's a bit of piney oiliness but not at all unpleasant. I'd have guessed IBUs of 70-80 for this IIPA and never the 120 they claim on their website. Who do they think they are, Dogfish Head ? Fuse is right, as usual, with his posting that once IBUs get above 120, it's really difficult to "taste" or sense much difference. ABV was 9.5% and, after a can, it was obvious. A wonderful DIPA that I'd absolutely buy/trade for again.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Citra High-Madtree Brewing Company

Canned
    09:39:04
    CORYDIDIT

(I only posted what was on the bottom of the can.)

Trade local, then bring home to drink!

From their limited series, this 12 ounce can yielded an orange-yellow, slightly cloudy elixir with a moderate, foamy head after a vigorous pour. This could have been a collaboration with Dole or Tropicana juices as the nose was a delightful mixture of pineapple, grapefruit and orange juice scents. First taste was pineapple, followed by orange zest/rind, then more juicy stuff with grapefruit, orange and peaches. There's a bit of piney oiliness but not at all unpleasant. I'd have guessed IBUs of 70-80 for this IIPA and never the 120 they claim on their website. Who do they think they are, Dogfish Head ? Fuse is right, as usual, with his posting that once IBUs get above 120, it's really difficult to "taste" or sense much difference. ABV was 9.5% and, after a can, it was obvious. A wonderful DIPA that I'd absolutely buy/trade for again.
    They even post a recipe for this:

"CITRA HIGH
    Size: 5.0 gal
    Efficiency: 82.35%
    Attenuation: 92.0%
    Original Gravity: 1.084
    Terminal Gravity: 1.007
    Color: 9.36
    Alcohol: 10.21%
    Bitterness: 123.9
    INGREDIENTS:
    10.43 lb (72.4%) 2-Row Brewers Malt - added during mash
    2.23 lb (15.5%) Vienna Malt - added during mash
    0.5 lb (3.4%) 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L - added during mash
    0.25 lb (1.7%) 2-Row Carapils Malt - added during mash
    0.54 oz (5.8%) Apollo (17.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
    0.71 oz (7.7%) Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
    0.6 oz (6.4%) Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 m
    0.4 oz (4.3%) Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
    0.7 oz (7.5%) Citra (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
    1 lb (6.9%) Corn Sugar - added during boil, boiled 10 m
    0.8 oz (8.6%) Simcoe (13.0%) - added after boil, steeped 15 m
    0.8 oz (8.6%) Citra (12.0%) - added after boil, steeped 15 m
    0.79 oz (8.5%) Simcoe (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter, 1st dry hop
    1.59 oz (17.0%) Citra (12.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter, 1st dry hop
    0.79 oz (8.5%) Simcoe (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter, 2nd dry hop
    1.59 oz (17.0%) Citra (12.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter, 2nd dry hop"

My nominee:

https://brewpublic.com/beer-releases...d-barley-wine/

Why?

"Through its history this beer has featured prominent “knuckleheads” of Portland that include one of the city’s most famous mayors, Bud Clark and the beer’s 11th bottling featured legendary beer writer Fred Eckhardt. There’s even a room at the BridgePort Pub that features plaster imprints of knuckles from these “knuckleheads."

I *almost* nominated my father for this honor when he was living.

Well, you did say "aged."

"... beer was barrel aged..."

I don’t know K personally, so I cannot say for certain- it’s my assertion he would neither agree with the moniker or take it too kindly.

Would certainly be precedent setting to have an original Mount Hatemore figure banned for life from Cameron 😱🤣🍻

I don’t know K personally, so I cannot say for certain- it’s my assertion he would neither agree with the moniker or take it too kindly.

Would certainly be precedent setting to have an original Mount Hatemore figure banned for life from Cameron 😱🤣🍻
    Ahh, but to be nominated and selected for any year's brewing of Old Knucklehead was considered an honor.

"This past Friday, BridgePort Brewing Company released its annual release of Old Knucklehead Barley Wine No. 017 for the 17th consecutive year. Through its history this beer has featured prominent “knuckleheads” of Portland that include one of the city’s most famous mayors, Bud Clark and the beer’s 11th bottling featured legendary beer writer Fred Eckhardt. There’s even a room at the BridgePort Pub that features plaster imprints of knuckles from these “knuckleheads”.

Hope that explains my reasoning a bit better.

Ahh, but to be nominated and selected for any year's brewing of Old Knucklehead was considered an honor.

"This past Friday, BridgePort Brewing Company released its annual release of Old Knucklehead Barley Wine No. 017 for the 17th consecutive year. Through its history this beer has featured prominent “knuckleheads” of Portland that include one of the city’s most famous mayors, Bud Clark and the beer’s 11th bottling featured legendary beer writer Fred Eckhardt. There’s even a room at the BridgePort Pub that features plaster imprints of knuckles from these “knuckleheads”.

Hope that explains my reasoning a bit better.

I read it the first time 😂

I didn’t google military themed beer, or beer with Duke or Olympics references (no Olympia!). I’m also guessing a beer from Chicago would be met with enthusiasm.

I wonder what it would take to find out if K even drinks beer. My obnoxiously ill informed guess would be no, with a focus on vintage Cabs.

I read it the first time 😂

I didn’t google military themed beer, or beer with Duke or Olympics references (no Olympia!). I’m also guessing a beer from Chicago would be met with enthusiasm.

I wonder what it would take to find out if K even drinks beer. My obnoxiously ill informed guess would be no, with a focus on vintage Cabs.
    If Beer Army is still brewing in Jacksonville, NC, one of their brews might work. Ka-Bar Brown Ale from Railhouse in Aberdeen, NC is another possibility, being named after a standard USMC standard issue knife.

I looked at a buncha Chicago beers, too, but really didn't find a good fit.

I agree with you and think K is quite the oenophile.

Attack Position-Crank Arm Brewing

0932 are the numbers stamped near bottom of can-I have no idea what they mean

More local-really local!

Fudge Imperial Stout on label (*see below)

Pint can bought in triplicate last month with one for younger daughter's 30 beers for 30 years, one for our son as part of a multi-player, err, beverage trade and one for me. I think this was probably about $5 with my 15% case discount.

An aggressive pour showed me a pretty thick, dark, dark brown elixir with a large tan head that almost overflowed my Founder's snifter. Doesn't quite smell like fudge but it's close. Tastes start with semi-sweet chocolate ("a whole lotta Videri chocolate cocoa nibs") and are followed by hints of coffee (not added), black strap molasses (not added), dark/burnt caramel (not added) and some vanilla (added). Sweetness is enhanced by lactose, technically making this a "fudge imperial milk stout." IBUs are 24, rather low for the style. The ABV was 11% so it took me about an hour to sip this bad boy as I contemplated/celebrated the ACCT Championship. Would readily purchase again.

Galaxy High-Madtree Brewing Company

Canned
    01/16/2019
    10:19:47
    CORYDIDN'T

More local/non-local trading!

This is another 12 ounce can from their Limited Series, this time featuring Galaxy hops (plus a couple or three others).

Pour was pretty similar to the Citra High's light bronze-copper with a very slight haze. It's another IIPA and not a NEIPA. Tastes were a bit more pine/resin forward but not unpleasantly so with a fair amount of "oiliness" along with orange and grapefruit rinds and moderate tropical and citrusy juiciness. Honey isn't added but it is a bit sweet. IBUs are an astonishing 120 (118 below) but I'd have never guessed that with the well-balanced ABV of 9.5% (10.2 below). I think I preferred the Citra High a bit more but this is still a very high quality DIPA. Ingredients below:

"GALAXY HIGH
    Size: 5 gal
    Efficiency: 82.35%
    Attenuation: 92.0%
    Original Gravity: 1.084
    Terminal Gravity: 1.007
    Color: 9.36
    Alcohol: 10.21%
    Bitterness: 117.6
    INGREDIENTS:
    10.43 lb (71.9%) 2-Row Brewers Malt - added during mash
    2.23 lb (15.4%) Vienna Malt - added during mash
    0.5 lb (3.4%) 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L - added during mash
    0.25 lb (2.4%) 2-Row Carapils Malt - added during mash
    0.5 oz (5.7%) Galena (13.1%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
    0.57 oz (6.5%) Topaz (16.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
    0.58 oz (6.6%) Topaz (16.2%) - added during boil, boiled 30 m
    0.39 oz (4.4%) Topaz (16.2%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
    0.58 oz (6.6%) Galaxy (14.8%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
    1 lb (6.8%) Corn Sugar - added during boil, boiled 10 m
    0.77 oz (8.8%) Galaxy (14.8%) - added after boil, steeped 15 m
    0.77 oz (8.8%) Topaz (16.2%) - added after boil, steeped 15 m
    0.1 lb (17.6%) Galaxy (14.8%) - added dry to primary fermenter
    0.05 lb (8.8%) Topaz (16.2%) - added dry to primary fermenter
    0.1 lb (17.6%) Galaxy (14.8%) - added dry to primary fermenter
    0.05 lb (8.8%) Topaz (16.2%) - added dry to primary fermenter"
    Last edited by devildeac; 03-17-2019 at 10:44 PM. Reason: added packaging info

From 1/27/17:

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    16/25 on that list for me.

Here are my recent tales of interesting (I hope) beer consumption. Went back to Wisconsin to visit the family for a few days last weekend. Go to the local grocery store (not a liquor store) in my hometown (a suburb of about 9,000 people 10 minutes from Madison) and pick up a six pack of New Glarus Road Slush (an oatmeal stout) for $8.50, a six pack of Three Floyd's Alpha King for $10.99 and a six pack of Bell's Hopslam cans for $14.99 (yeah you read that right). It's amazing how much location can affect beer availability and price. Anyway to the beers.

New Glarus Road Slush - This is a regular, non-imperial oatmeal stout. New Glarus doesn't publish official ABV or IBU. Estimates of about 6% online seem about right. IBU I'd put at 10-15. Not much hoppiness. Dark reddish-brown to black pour with moderate dark brown head. Nose doesn't really give much of an aroma. I'd left it out about 30 minutes before pouring but perhaps needed more for aroma. The oatmeal gives a slightly smooth mouthfeel and the taste is a little sweet and a little roasty leaning a bit to the sweet with a bit of a dry finish. Almost like a porter/stout hybrid. None of the characteristics jump out at you like an imperial stout, but, like most New Glarus beers, it is a very good drinkable, not overly complex beer that makes you want to have another.

Three Floyd's Alpha King - American Pale Ale at 6.66% ABV and 68 IBU. Bottled date says 12/20/16. Nice golden color with moderate white head. Nose is citrusy and a little piney. Taste has a bit of malt sweetness followed by citrus (grapefruit?) hoppiness and and a strong, but not excessive amount of bitterness. Really nice APA/nearly IPA that pushes close to edge of hop/bitter bomb but has just enough malt balance for drinkability. My favorite beer of the three.

Bell's Hopslam - My previous Hopslam experience lean towards Mattman's. I remember picking up some a couple of years in a row about 5 years ago and liking the beer quite a bit but didn't go out of my way to find as it became crazy popular. Canning date on these cans was 1.10.17 so this was FRESH. Really nice citrus, grassy nose and small white head in a chalice type glass. Strong, complex hop presence that doesn't overpower. Finish is very balanced despite 70 IBU and the sweetness from honey is noticeable and a different flavor than the caramel in the Alpha King above. I was shocked to look up that it is 10.00 ABV. It was shockingly drinkable for that amount of alcohol. I had to stop myself from opening a second right after drinking the first. Overall it was better than I remembered and really good but didn't have quite the hoppy/bitter bite I seem to prefer. I find myself enjoying hoppy APAs and "regular" IPAs more than double/imperial IPA lately. Hopslam is a really good beer that I would drink anytime but am not sure it is a beer I would chase around town especially at a fairly steep (outside of Wisconsin) price point.

Cheers to all
    From tonight:

Hopslam-Bell's Brewery

On bottom of can:
    23952 PKED 08:43
    011619 081719

On "label"
    Shelf life-3 months

Our son picked up a 6er of this for me last month for $18. I passed at Total Wine in 2018 at $20 so I thought the 2019 price was OK and about what I paid, IIRC, when duketaylor got me three 6ers in 2017 for about $18 each with one for our son, one for fuse and one for myself.

Don't bother reading any more of this review as tbyers11 has everything covered from his 2017 masterpiece above . This is still an excellent beer, both on the palate and on the wallet at $3/12 ounces with 10% ABV.

Has Captain Lawrence Brewing gone too far with this creation?

"Cookie O'Puss Stout w/Choco, Fudge & Ice Cream

• 8% ABV

• Captain Lawrence/Carvel

• Elmsford, NY

Cookie O'Puss™ St. Patrick's Day Stout is brewed with signature chocolate crunchies from Carvel®, fudge, ice cream and milk sugar. With a deep, rich chocolate flavor and a strong roasted malt backbone, this stout is sure to hit the spot for beer and chocolate lovers alike!"

Interesting but not surprising to learn, especially given the ever-increasing new/experimental hop varieties available now and the shortages I remember reading about 5-10 years ago.

Has Captain Lawrence Brewing gone too far with this creation?

"Cookie O'Puss Stout w/Choco, Fudge & Ice Cream

• 8% ABV

• Captain Lawrence/Carvel

• Elmsford, NY

Cookie O'Puss™ St. Patrick's Day Stout is brewed with signature chocolate crunchies from Carvel®, fudge, ice cream and milk sugar. With a deep, rich chocolate flavor and a strong roasted malt backbone, this stout is sure to hit the spot for beer and chocolate lovers alike!"
    As someone who grew up on Carvel cones covered in crunchies, I’d drink this beer without a second thought.

I also have a NSFDBR story to share in person if you remind me. Likely only funny to me, though. 🙄

As someone who grew up on Carvel cones covered in crunchies, I’d drink this beer without a second thought.

I also have a NSFDBR story to share in person if you remind me. Likely only funny to me, though. 🙄
    Time, place and beverage? Your Johnston County story was quite amusing. Tripping William is expecting that tale to be retold here sometime.

Time, place and beverage? Your Johnston County story was quite amusing. Tripping William is expecting that tale to be retold here sometime.
    We will have to find somewhere in the near future.

Some stories are far better shared in person. 🍻

1516 Heller Bock. Red Oak

Pfft. Been done for centuries:

"The brewing of bock beers is a Bavarian tradition going back hundreds of years. This type of beer was invented by the monks of the Paulaner monastery in Munich, whose brewing activity is documented as far back as 1634. Starting in 1651, they brewed a particularly nutritional and smooth ‘liquid bread’ as preparation for the strict Lenten period."

I did have a "heller" bock from the Red Oak Biergarten (Whitsett, NC, next to the brewery) a couple days ago. Appropriately named 1516 Heller Bock. 12 ounces of Springtime in a Stein. Honey-gold in color, 7% alcohol, 22 IBUs. Like all of their beers, unfiltered and not pasteurized. Malty and yeasty like it's supposed to be, fresh beer is good! This German beer had about an inch of foam that left quickly. In fact the whole beer went down fast and easily, as it was almost closing time.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!