Page 944 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 444844894934942943944945946954994104414441944 ... LastLast
Results 18,861 to 18,880 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

WRT the most bitter beer in America, about 30 years ago, it used to be this one:

large-buffalo-bills-alimony-ale-6pk.jpg

But, at about 70 IBUs (and no longer brewed), it most certainly does not claim that "title."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

My beer post game - Shut Up, a dopplebock aged in red wine and bourbon barrels. Drink close to local! From Center of the Universe out of Ashland VA 30 minutes or so north of Richmond.

Purchased a few months ago from total wine it was dated 2017. Their write up - brewed to honor the sacrifices, cringes, irrational arguments and under appreciation that we all endure during family get-togethers.

Nice foam, dark pour. A bit of chocolate, bourbon, but the sweet wine finish put it over the top. 10.3% abv. A very good and complex beer. Haven’t seen it since. Planning a weekend trip to the brewery to check out this and others.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    My beer post game - Shut Up, a dopplebock aged in red wine and bourbon barrels. Drink close to local! From Center of the Universe out of Ashland VA 30 minutes or so north of Richmond.

Purchased a few months ago from total wine it was dated 2017. Their write up - brewed to honor the sacrifices, cringes, irrational arguments and under appreciation that we all endure during family get-togethers.

Nice foam, dark pour. A bit of chocolate, bourbon, but the sweet wine finish put it over the top. 10.3% abv. A very good and complex beer. Haven’t seen it since. Planning a weekend trip to the brewery to check out this and others.
    You might need 6 more of them after that game.

Following it up with another bourbon barrel gbs, and it won’t be enough either.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You might need 6 more of them after that game.
    Unfortunately, I'm on ER call, and all I have is Heineken's Buckler NA. Alas...and since I tried to 'spread around the comments', I now find I've given out TOO MANY comments, so I STILL can't spork you. What a crazy 'wanker' system.
    PS, drove by Sam's on the way home from a fellow Scout Dad's funeral (13 years younger than me, glioblastoma multiforme) and they've demolished it already...(holy IBU's, Batman).

We'll get those bastiges in Charlotte next week, by Zion!

Shameful. No weekend beer reports?

At least one of us is fighting bronchitis.
    Had I had a beer, I presumably could have won a contest of who coughed the beer the farthest.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    At least one of us is fighting bronchitis.
    Had I had a beer, I presumably could have won a contest of who coughed the beer the farthest.
    Get well soon!

TMI regarding beer-coughing .

Would a four-bagger of Hop Cakes make it up to you? Just secured from my gal Stella.

Separately: Fonta Flora's Hop Beard is a really good hazy IPA. And their Brine Oyster Saison is a terrific (!) sour-salty beverage. Here are their notes about it:

Mashed with local pilsner malt courtesy of Riverbend Malt House of Asheville, North Carolina along with a delicate touch of smoked wheat malt. Steeped on whole, Virginia old salts oysters. Fermented with our mixed house cultures in one of our beautiful Missouri oak foeders. Upon bottling, blended with OBX sea salt for increased complexity and quenchability. Conditioned naturally in the bottle and keg.
    Last edited by Tripping William; 03-11-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Would a four-bagger of Hop Cakes make it up to you? Just secured from my gal Stella.

Separately: Fonta Flora's Hop Beard is a really good hazy IPA. And their Brine Oyster Saison is a terrific (!) sour-salty beverage. Here are their notes about it:
    1. Yes, please. Well, that and sending turble teletubby teddy to the SEC would help, too.

2. I'm not a big oyster beer fan but that sounds tasty.

And, thank you, too!!

Founders CBS

I am not gifted with the reviews, but I will try. Opened a Founders CBS this weekend. I know it's been discussed before, but it's a stout aged in bourbon barrels which previously held maple syrup. That maple syrup gives it a touch of sweetness, offsetting the bourbon kick. Tremendous beer in my opinion, and it has aged nicely since i opened the first bottle a few months back (probably early Dec).

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    I am not gifted with the reviews, but I will try. Opened a Founders CBS this weekend. I know it's been discussed before, but it's a stout aged in bourbon barrels which previously held maple syrup. That maple syrup gives it a touch of sweetness, offsetting the bourbon kick. Tremendous beer in my opinion, and it has aged nicely since i opened the first bottle a few months back (probably early Dec).
    I've never tasted that but have two large format bottles that I'm "red-shirting."

Saw it on draft at a new bottle shop near our house at $15 for 10 ounces . They also had 750 ml bottles for $35 each . I paid less than that for mine, but not that much, so I passed on that "opportunity."

Almost any review is a good review. I describe how I acquired it, cost (often, but not always) what type of beer it is, the appearance, aromas, tastes, IBUs, ABV and food pairing and/or circumstances under which I'm tasting it, so there are both subjective and objective features.

I'd be curious about some of your local brews and whatever you might sample from Taxman.

It all starts somewhere.
    The bar (pun intended) is low, just a bunch of basketball fans united in chatting about tasty beverages.

I’d be willing to bet if I looked over my review history, my reviews probably started out fairly clinical, and are now more experential (even knowing that everyone’s palate and experiences are different).

I think I drank all my CBS (from 2017?) young, and found it remarkable.

I've never tasted that but have two large format bottles that I'm "red-shirting."

Saw it on draft at a new bottle shop near our house at $15 for 10 ounces . They also had 750 ml bottles for $35 each . I paid less than that for mine, but not that much, so I passed on that "opportunity."

Almost any review is a good review. I describe how I acquired it, cost (often, but not always) what type of beer it is, the appearance, aromas, tastes, IBUs, ABV and food pairing and/or circumstances under which I'm tasting it, so there are both subjective and objective features.

I'd be curious about some of your local brews and whatever you might sample from Taxman.
    I guess I should feel lucky, as I acquired my bottles at $24-25 each. A relative bargain...

Have not had much Taxman lately, though i did drink my last can of Qualified last week. That is their Belgian Quad and it was quite delicious. Was a deep amber color and had some hints of caramel.

The next time you are in Columbus, I would recommend checking out 450 North if you have not done so. They are making a lot of outstanding beers right now. Lots of hazy IPAs, but some very good beers in other styles as well.

It all starts somewhere.
    The bar (pun intended) is low, just a bunch of basketball fans united in chatting about tasty beverages.

I’d be willing to bet if I looked over my review history, my reviews probably started out fairly clinical, and are now more experential (even knowing that everyone’s palate and experiences are different).

I think I drank all my CBS (from 2017?) young, and found it remarkable.
    I lean towards the experiential as well. I spend too much time on details in my job, beer should be a getaway.

I think Founders upped the production of CBS for 2018. Even our local Kroger had a bunch...

I guess I should feel lucky, as I acquired my bottles at $24-25 each. A relative bargain...

Have not had much Taxman lately, though i did drink my last can of Qualified last week. That is their Belgian Quad and it was quite delicious. Was a deep amber color and had some hints of caramel.

The next time you are in Columbus, I would recommend checking out 450 North if you have not done so. They are making a lot of outstanding beers right now. Lots of hazy IPAs, but some very good beers in other styles as well.
    1. Mine were $24 and $30.

2. Will be in Columbus Easter weekend. I heard the Columbus Philharmonic is having a fabulous concert on 4/20 with Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto and Beethoven's 7th Symphony. Maybe we'll see you there. Might have to have lunch and a flight at 450 or ZwanzigZ if we're able to arrive early enough.

3. If you *happen* to attend this, please hoist one (several?) for me as we'll be a @#$% week too early.

https://events.ontaptickets.com/e/deathandtaxes2019

I lean towards the experiential as well. I spend too much time on details in my job, beer should be a getaway.

I think Founders upped the production of CBS for 2018. Even our local Kroger had a bunch...
    If only you had posted that here...

<wipes tear>

Speaking of Founders...

https://foundersbrewing.com/latest-n...any-statement/

Ugh, ugh, and ugh.

From 5/8/18:

Stardust to Stardust-North High Brewing Company

Traded some NC brews for some Ohio brews about 10 days ago and this was one of them.

"This Imperial IPA is inspired by some of the greatest music ever made and crafted with the best interstellar hops we could find."

Or:

"Brewed to celebrate the life of David Bowie, Stardust To Stardust is brewed with Galaxy, Apollo, and Comet hops." (And Bravo hops, too.)

The pour from a 12 ounce can was cloudy yellow with a modest, foamy head. Pineapple-y and grapefruit-y nose with the same tastes plus a bit of rind and resin. Mild light brown sugar sweetness. IBUs at 72 and the ABV is 8.8%. Round up some mildly spicy fare with a glass of this. Looking forward to trading a couple and sharing a couple and having another all to myself in a couple weeks.
    Fresh outta the can and into the pint glass tonight:

Stardust to Stardust-North High Brewing Company

On bottom of can:
    (smudge) on
    (smudge) 10/2018

Our son liked this so much he bought another 4 pack last month and traded it to me last week.

Same notes apply. Fuse reviewed this in early June and described a lot of chunk but I didn't see that with my 12 ounce pour but there was a lot of haze. A lot. I perceived his tastes of mango, guava and papaya (IIRC) that he mentioned with this edition along with a lot of "fleshy fruits" to accompany the pineapple-y juiciness. I'm "red-shirting" 3 of these but 1 or 2 could enter the "transfer portal" in a couple or three weeks.

Anyone tried Southern Pines Pineapple Thief?

Never seen it, description indicates NEIPA or milkshake IPA with pineapple and coconut. Reads like it could be amazing.
    Southern Pines Pineapple Thief

Pretty sure this was NEIPA style.

Appropriately named. Tasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    We did, indeed, pay a visit to the really new Pinehurst Brewing Company. For those familiar with the area, it is about a half-block further down Magnolia Road from the Manor Inn. It used to be the old local steam power plant, now renovated to a brewery. It is great space, with a bar and then many tables for food (standard pub fare from the looks of it). On a Saturday night at Happy Hour, it was packed. Mrs. Tripping got to sit at the bar, but I had to stand.

Of their own brews, they currently offer a pale ale (Scratch), an IPA (Pivot), a golden ale (Golden Age), and a stout (Breakfast Ball). They had sold out of the golden ale, and I only tasted a little bit of the pale ale, which was okay-not-great.

The Pivot IPA was very tasty A nice hazy light-brown color, with a fairly generous off-white head. More citrus than hops, but well-balanced. Checks in at 6.9% ABV, and I would guesstimate IBUs in the upper-50's.

Mrs. Tripping ordered the Breakfast Ball stout. It was delicious. Reminds me a ton of Burial's Donut Skillet stout with intense coffee flavors. She detected a hint of raspberry, but I certainly didn't taste that. At 6.4% ABV, it is dangerous quaffable this time of year.

They also had some guest taps, so I tried Southern Pines Brewing's Pineapple Thief IPA. A hazy bright yellow, it smells like one has just opened a can of Dole pineapples. Those flavors are a little more muted on the palate, but still lots of tropical fruit notes. Worth seeking out. Clocks in at 6.4% ABV, and I'd guess IBUs near 50. Well done.

They also had Cold Mountain on tap, but I had already tried that for lunch at the Carolina Inn's Ryder Cup grill. It may be overhyped, and overpriced, but it sure is a delicious winter ale. I was very glad they had some for me to drink.

Sorry, dd, no Moore County brewing history tidbits this time around.
    Youze guyz finally made me buy/try this. I actually bought 3 less than a month ago and included 1 in the 30 beers for 30 years packages for our daughter 2 weeks ago and the second as a trader with our son. Guess who drank the third one tonight?

Pineapple Thief (canned on 10/17/missing numbers)-Southern Pines Brewing Company

Pint can with some very interesting artwork that was about $4.75 after a 15% case discount at the new shop in town, Falls Village Wine and Beer.

Pour was a very hazy orange-yellow with a generous, foamy head. Damn, Tripping William is right (again) as this stuff smells like Dole Pineapple Juice and tastes like it, too, with a splash of Coco Lopez (coconut added) and vanilla (added). Mouthfeel is smooth from the added oats and the sweetness is from the lactose, hence they labeled it a fruited NEIPA. Some additional fruit/juicy flavors (a bit of grapefruit and mango?) are derived from the Citra, Idaho 7 and Mosaic hops. The IBUs stated on the can are 38 and it was minimally bitter. ABV is 6.5%. Excellent selection.