Page 941 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 441841891931939940941942943951991104114411941 ... LastLast
Results 18,801 to 18,820 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Stay in your “lane,” dude.

Sipping the BA Joco now. It is delicious. The Hop Cakes last night was, too. Hope you have a great trip.
    Thanks. You "bowled" us over with your selections.

Glad you like the BA Joco.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Got another pre-order opportunity from Hardywood for this years versions of their Bourbon Barrel Cru, Foolery, the Coconut Cassowary, and a new imperial milk stout variant called Black Forrest Cassowary - with added black cherries, vanilla beans and cocoa nibs. Not barrel aged and 11%, obviously named/tastes like a black forrest cake.

Their Bourbon Barrel Cru is the barrel aged beer that started it all for them and is my favorite. Foolery is also excellent and bourbon barrel aged. The coconut and Black Forest will be new (yes I preordered at least one of each).

Sierra Nevada Brut IPA was yummy. Will have to snag more from the local HT.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Got another pre-order opportunity from Hardywood for this years versions of their Bourbon Barrel Cru, Foolery, the Coconut Cassowary, and a new imperial milk stout variant called Black Forrest Cassowary - with added black cherries, vanilla beans and cocoa nibs. Not barrel aged and 11%, obviously named/tastes like a black forrest cake.

Their Bourbon Barrel Cru is the barrel aged beer that started it all for them and is my favorite. Foolery is also excellent and bourbon barrel aged. The coconut and Black Forest will be new (yes I preordered at least one of each).
    I'm available for any "extras."

Blonde Foeder with Peaches (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ten samples shared among 4 of us last PM with Mrs. dd technically only ordering/sampling the Tart Cherry Sour Wench (no snide comments, please-she's not like that at all ).

Pour was a clear, headless, pale, yellow-orange. Smelled like peach jam with a bit of vinegar. Tastes were mild to moderately puckery with peach and lemon juiciness, minimal sweetness and a tart/sour, barely perceptible bitterness. Brewed with 6 different yeasts and aged for 8 months. I'll guess 10 IBUs and the ABV was 5.4%. This was not a group favorite but I liked it a bit more than the others but would not purchase a package of it. Other fruited sours (cherry, berries, etc) are more appealing to me.

Tart Cherry Sour Wench (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

As mentioned above, not a reference to Mrs. dd, simply the only beer that even remotely appealed to her last PM as the brewery had no New Glarus fruit ales on draft .

Pour was a clean/clean, light cherry color (d'oh ) with no head. Labeled on the menu as a Berliner Weisse and the clean/clear appearance would have fooled me. Nose of cherry juice and vinegar. Less tart/sour than the Blonde Foeder with Peaches above and more appealing to the group. Light berry and lemon flavors, too, with minimal bitterness, guessing 10 IBUs. ABV was 7%. Very pleasant ale and would likely appeal to the non-sour beer fan or as an "intro" to the style. I'd sip this again.

Brett Raspberry Sour Wench (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

Third sample of the evening, this one another Berliner Weisse soured with Brettanomyces yeast and aged in bourbon barrels with a buncha raspberries added. Pour was a clear, berry color with no head. Nose was sour/tart/vinegar with funk and wet straw aromas, too. Tastes mirrored aromas along with berries and a mild, warming bourbon finish. I'll guess IBUs around 10 and the ABV was 6.6%. This got one vote as a favorite, until we got to several other high gravity brews. Having sipped their sours, I'd certainly consider a 6er of their Sour Blackberry Wench which I've seen in stores but not purchased.

Berry Nibbly (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

In the clean-up position is a chocolate-raspberry porter so the pour was a dark brown with a small, tan head. Smelled like raspberry jellied candies rolled in baker's cocoa and tasted pretty much the same. IBUs estimated at 40 and the ABV on the menu stated 7.2% so almost in the imperial porter territory. I'd have like this a bit better with a bit more chocolate than cocoa flavors, but overall, an tasty and interesting beer.

Experi-mint-al Porter (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

Halfway through our 2 flights with this "Chicago only holiday porter with chocolate and peppermint."

Pour was a dark brown with a small, tan head. Pretty powerful mint aromas. Tasted like a milk chocolate-covered after dinner mint. I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV was 6.9%. I'll have to try the Gizmo Stiletto Stout, one of their year round brews, IIRC, in a side-by-side with their Christmas Peppermint Stiletto Stout when it's available late this year to see if they make the mint a bit more subtle than Ballast Point did. This was interesting but didn't make anyone's top 5 last PM.

Watermelon Dorado (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

And starting off the 2nd flight of the evening we had an alcoholic Jolly Rancher Watermelon hop bomb.

Appearance was a light pink-yellow-orange with no head. "Hey, somebody dropped a watermelon slice and rind in my DIPA!" I'll guess this was 80-90 IBUs based on the style and pretty bitter finish. There were hints of orange and grapefruit on the palate. The ABV was 10%. I think I would have liked the Dorado Double IPA better than this. Again, another interesting beer but I've liked their Pineapple and Grapefruit Sculpin IPAs better than this one.

Peanut Butter Victory at Sea (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

Another heavyweight, this time a peanut-infused/brewed imperial porter that was dark brown with a medium tan head. Plentiful scents of roasted peanuts, chocolate and coffee (neither infused), followed by roasted grains, cocoa and dark, burnt caramel. I'll guess 30-40 IBUs with a 10% ABV printed on the menu. Our younger daughter's favorite. Certainly worth a pint if you see it on draft or a single at your favorite craft beer shop.

Rye Barrel-Aged Navigator (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

This was a seriously good doppelbock that was aged in High West rye whiskey barrels. Pour was a dark brown with a small, tan head. Seductive scents of dark caramel, and whiskey. So smooth on the palate with butterscotch, dark cherries, toasted whole grain bread and whiskey. My IBU guess is 20 as it's a lager and the ABVs are creeping up the chart with this listed at 10.75%. I had no clue BPBC had a doppelbock in their line-up and I'd easily make room for minutes for this one if I saw it again on draft or as a packaged set.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Rye Barrel-Aged Navigator (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

This was a seriously good doppelbock that was aged in High West rye whiskey barrels. Pour was a dark brown with a small, tan head. Seductive scents of dark caramel, and whiskey. So smooth on the palate with butterscotch, dark cherries, toasted whole grain bread and whiskey. My IBU guess is 20 as it's a lager and the ABVs are creeping up the chart with this listed at 10.75%. I had no clue BPBC had a doppelbock in their line-up and I'd easily make room for minutes for this one if I saw it again on draft or as a packaged set.
    I want to try this one. Sounds great.

Well, according to their website, Ballast Point does have a taproom (?brewery) in Daleville, VA...

https://www.ballastpoint.com/location/daleville/

Here's part of their tap list:

RED WINE BARREL AGED RUSSIAN IMPERIAL STOUT Stout - Russian Imperial 9.3%
    BRANDY BARREL AGED RUSSIAN IMPERIAL STOUT Stout - Russian Imperial
    BRANDY BARREL AGED RUSSIAN IMPERIAL STOUT Stout - Russian Imperial
    TRADE STREET BLEND #2 Porter - Imperial / Double 10%
    TRADE STREET BLEND #1 Belgian Quad 10%
    HIGH WEST BARREL AGED VICTORY AT SEA (2017) Porter - Imperial / Double 12%
    BRANDY BARREL AGED BELGIAN QUAD Belgian Quad 12.7%

(copied/pasted/not edited)

I don't see the Rye Barrel-Aged Navigator listed but our son-in-law spoke very highly of the Trade Street brews he tried last month in Chicago.
    Last edited by devildeac; 03-03-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Wait 'til you read about the next 2 brews...

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Sea Monster (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

Appearance-inky black, no head

Nose-dark chocolate, lots of bourbon, whiff of coffee (not added)

Mouthfeel-thick, viscous, oily, warm

Tastes-dark chocolate, raisins, dates figs, burnt caramel, black strap molasses, bourbon, faintest flavor of coffee

IBUs-60 (estimated)

ABV-12.4% (not hidden)

Final impression-outstanding beer; our son-in-law's favorite; my second choice

I'm not sure this is available in a packaged version, but if you see it, buy a 4 pack or 6er for now/trading/cellaring.

From Friday night-best of show:

High West Bourbon & Rye Barrel-Aged Victory At Sea (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

Pour was onyx with no head. Mouthfeel was slick/smooth and oily. 10W40 viscosity. First impressions/scents are semi-sweet chocolate and booze. Tasting thoughts are dark chocolate caramel swirls, wood, toasted coconut and almonds, vanilla, molasses and warm, warm bourbon. No additives listed based on the beer menu info. I'll guess IBUs about 40-50 (it's an imperial porter, not an imperial stout) with the ABV at a dangerously sippable 12.4%. We had some fancy desserts (complimentary for 2 birthdays celebrated) at a restaurant near the brewery and this was a perfect closer to the dining/tasting festivities of the evening.

Day late, dollar short. Weekend's not over yet. From yesterday while watching the Duke-UM game:

Helles Other People (draft)-Oak Park Brewing Company

Part 1 of a 5 beer flight, this one being a traditional German lager so the color was light yellow-straw with a small head. Nose of Euro hops (mild, floral) and tastes of light brown sugar, flowers and very mild bitterness. IBUs were 18 and the ABV was 4.9%. This was a bit light for pairing with poutine and nachos but the 3 of us who shared the flight found it mild and pleasant.

Second batter:

Speakeasy Saison (draft)-Oak Park Brewing Company

Slightly cloudy and straw-colored with a small, fizzy head, this farmhouse ale had light, fruity aromas of apples and pears with a bit of barnyard/funk but not *those* type of farm aromas . Effervescent mouthfeel with tastes of fresh apples, pears and a drop of lemon juice. Gentle on the palate at 22 IBUs and easy on the ABV at 6.1%.

Third hitter:

Shift Two (draft)-Oak Park Brewing Company and the IAFF Local 95 Oak Park Firefighters Union

This session pale ale was subbed in for Mary Hoppins which had slid up the bannister and out of pouring range .

Appearance was a light gold-yellow with a small, fluffy, off-white head. Dole tropical.citrus fruit juice lite with faint aromas of oranges, grapefruits and pineapples and tastes to match, Two malts, Maris Otter and Brewers' 2-row, impart some light, brown sugary flavors and an ABV of 5.2%. Two hops, Mosaic and Fuggles, lend very mild bitterness (IBUs are 9, quite low for a pale ale but it's labeled a session pale ale). Quite pleasant pairing with the poutine and pulled pork nachos.