Page 929 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 429829879919927928929930931939979102914291929 ... LastLast
Results 18,561 to 18,580 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

From 2/1/13:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Matilda (4/11 bottling)-Goose Island Brewing

Very interesting brew. This is a Belgian style pale ale and the caramel malts dominate and there are notes of apples and pears but the truly fascinating qualities and flavors of this creamy, cloudy yellow-orange beverage originate from the yeast. Initially, I thought typical Belgian and peppery, but, after several sips from a tulip glass, I thought this is a bit barnyard-type funky and reading the bottle confirms that this is a Brettanomyces yeast brewed ale. IBU a bit low for a pale ale at 32 and ABV a shade high at 7% but this would pair nicely with soft cheeses during your pre-dinner snacking, or with spicy dishes for your entree. I wanted to wait a year before drinking (they say it will develop up to 5 years in the bottle) but just couldn't resist sharing this bomber a month early with Lavabe last week when he visited. After all, he did send it down over Christmas to help cover the cost of his wife's room and board over the holidays

Matilda (2/12 bottling; 12 ounces)-from 6/19/12

Not many differences between the 2011 and 2012 brewings. The 2011 may have been a bit smoother after nearly a year of aging vs "only" 4 months for the 2012 issue. I traded one, drank one and have 2 remaining so I'll save one for next year and probably give one to my son a bit later this summer. Certainly worth the $9 for the 4 pack that I procured in April during our trip to Kentucky.

And, from tonight:

Matilda (2/12 bottling)-aged for nearly a year

Same bit of funk as last year's review but very, very smooth. Now, it tastes a bit more like stewed/spiced apples and pears. Enjoyed by itself from a tulip glass. I will make it a special point to visit the Liquor Barn in Lexington as we journey there in April on our way to see The Carmel (Indiana) Symphony perform Beethoven's Ninth. Going to need some extra space in the car...
    From last PM:

Matilda (2016)-Goose Island (InBev) Brewing

Forgive me folks for I have InBev'ed again .

Wanted a "lighter" beer with Mrs. dd's (almost) famous chicken tortilla soup last PM and this one whispered to me from the bottom shelf of the single beer section at Food Lion last PM and for $8 plus tax, I couldn't resist half a bottle of this with dinner and finished the other half after an evening out. I liked the $9/4 pack price from several years ago even better .

Pretty much all the above comments still apply except last PM, I tasted a bit of sour (berries? cherries?) along with the "funk" from the Brettanomyces Bruxellensis yeast.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

From 2/1/13:

From last PM:

Matilda (2016)-Goose Island (InBev) Brewing

Forgive me folks for I have InBev'ed again .

Wanted a "lighter" beer with Mrs. dd's (almost) famous chicken tortilla soup last PM and this one whispered to me from the bottom shelf of the single beer section at Food Lion last PM and for $8 plus tax, I couldn't resist half a bottle of this with dinner and finished the other half after an evening out. I liked the $9/4 pack price from several years ago even better .

Pretty much all the above comments still apply except last PM, I tasted a bit of sour (berries? cherries?) along with the "funk" from the Brettanomyces Bruxellensis yeast.
    Gearing up to go waltzing, I see ....
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Dissident kind of night. Delicious with a grilled pork chop and baked potato. Nice way to celebrate dispatching the Johnnies in Zionesque fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Gearing up to go waltzing, I see ...
    Well-played. As a matter of fact, we did go waltzing last PM along with some foxtrot, salsa, tango, rumba and a few other dances. Fun evening with good hydration.

Dissident kind of night. Delicious with a grilled pork chop and baked potato. Nice way to celebrate dispatching the Johnnies in Zionesque fashion.
    No Foolery here. Except what's in my snifter now, which I am hoisting northward to salute accfanfrom1970 who allowed this as a trader last fall.

https://hardywood.com/beer/foolery/

6e850f58b684a0645253af42233511c7_640x640.jpg

No Foolery here. Except what's in my snifter now, which I am hoisting northward to salute accfanfrom1970 who allowed this as a trader last fall.

Can’t wait for the review. I remember warm, sweet, boozy, excellent, from the draft I had.

Super Bowl Beer

This is what I will be drinking this evening during the game:

BlackButte_Porter.jpg
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

BlackButte_Porter.jpg
    Ha! Just picked up a mixed 12 pack about an hour ago. Mostly for the Mirror Pond Pale Ale, which I may have had a penchant for in my 20s living in the Pacific NW.

BlackButte_Porter.jpg
    That is a classic, outstanding beer, maybe one of the original Deschutes brews from when they started in 1988 (IIRC), and, if you return to post #1 in this thread, it's one of the beers that started this prolonged tasting session and pub discussion on the OTB. An excellent choice, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Can’t wait for the review. I remember warm, sweet, boozy, excellent, from the draft I had.
    From your keyboard to mine:

Foolery (2017, I think)-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

I sipped 10 ounces of this bad boy last PM from a snifter and, at 13% ABV, that was all I could imbibe.

Poured was almost black and quite viscous with a paper-thin tan head. Oh my, what aromas of semi-sweet chocolate, dark brown sugar/caramel, coffee and booze, none of which were added, except it is aged in bourbon barrels for 12 months. Many waves of flavors followed the rather viscous mouthfeel, dominated by dark chocolate fudge, vanilla (?added), burnt caramel and espresso, toasted coconut, dark/dried berries and cherries (none added), wet leather, tobacco with a very long and warming bourbon finish. IBUs at 60 (who cares with that many flavors?) and ABV as above at a stunning 13%, which was simultaneously dangerously smooth and not hidden at all. I'm looking forward to the remaining 15.4 ounces from the 25.4 ounce (750 ml) bottle of this imperial milk stout this evening over a couple hours most likely.

I am immensely grateful to accfanfrom1970 for including this in one of our trading sessions last fall. A superb beer, that, to the best of my discernment, appears retired based on the Hardywood website.

An excellent choice, sir!
    I went to the store in search of Winter Pecan Porter by O'Connor Brewing Company but it was only available in a variety 12 pack so I opted out. Those variety packs always include beer I don't find tasty.
    Bob Green

I went to the store in search of Winter Pecan Porter by O'Connor Brewing Company but it was only available in a variety 12 pack so I opted out. Those variety packs always include beer I don't find tasty.
    Not surprising considering there are always 2 SA Boston Lagers in every 12 pack they sell. Pretty much the same for Fat Tire in the New Belgium 12 packs.

Will likely do a DIPA with Super Bowl dinner (a buffalo chicken salad type dish), and then Xocoveza Charred as a dessert supper.

Will likely do a DIPA with Super Bowl dinner (a buffalo chicken salad type dish), and then Xocoveza Charred as a dessert supper.
    I'll send you the Pepto.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I'll send you the Pepto.
    The Pepto would be needed because it’s Boston vs. LA (as if that World Series wasn’t enough) ....

Bud Light is absolutely killing it with the two first half commercials.

Horrified about corn syrup in Miller Lite.

The HBO/GoT crossover was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Bud Light is absolutely killing it with the two first half commercials.

Horrified about corn syrup in Miller Lite.

The HBO/GoT crossover was awesome.
    Yep, funny stuff with the InBev commercials.

Yet budlite uses rice as an adjunct in their beverages, IIRC. Pot? Kettle?

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Ha!

"Replying to @SenorKleine @budlight
    They use rice instead of corn"

From your keyboard to mine:

Foolery (2017, I think)-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

I sipped 10 ounces of this bad boy last PM from a snifter and, at 13% ABV, that was all I could imbibe.

Poured was almost black and quite viscous with a paper-thin tan head. Oh my, what aromas of semi-sweet chocolate, dark brown sugar/caramel, coffee and booze, none of which were added, except it is aged in bourbon barrels for 12 months. Many waves of flavors followed the rather viscous mouthfeel, dominated by dark chocolate fudge, vanilla (?added), burnt caramel and espresso, toasted coconut, dark/dried berries and cherries (none added), wet leather, tobacco with a very long and warming bourbon finish. IBUs at 60 (who cares with that many flavors?) and ABV as above at a stunning 13%, which was simultaneously dangerously smooth and not hidden at all. I'm looking forward to the remaining 15.4 ounces from the 25.4 ounce (750 ml) bottle of this imperial milk stout this evening over a couple hours most likely.

I am immensely grateful to accfanfrom1970 for including this in one of our trading sessions last fall. A superb beer, that, to the best of my discernment, appears retired based on the Hardywood website.
    This was just as good, maybe better, on night two. And I don't say that very often about large format beers divided over 2 nights, even with an airtight wine cork in place and refrigerated overnight.