Page 920 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 420820870910918919920921922930970102014201920 ... LastLast
Results 18,381 to 18,400 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

My last Lagunitas beer from 6/17/18:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Continuing last PM's "unusual" beer theme:

Dark Swan-Lagunitas (cough, heineken, cough) Brewing Company

Labeled on the bottle as a sour ale, it lived up to the billing with an interesting twist discovered after sipping and looking at the Lagunitas website info.

The first surprise after pouring from a 12 ounce bottle (from my May beer club 4 pack) into my large Ommegang tulip, this ale was purple! Dark purple. There was a generous, lavender-mocha head. I though it tasted like a sour blackberry stout with red wine barrel again. Turns out, I receive partial credit as it's made with Petite Sirah grapes and not blackberries (or any berries) and there is no barrel aging. Kind of a hybrid "beer-wine." They claim some experimental dry hopping is done but no yeast varieties are mentioned. IBUs of 22.6 are stated (really?) and the ABV is 8.5% so this made a unique and potent nightcap. I think this would pair nicely with a plate of berries before or after dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Been a while since I have had a Lagunitas beer. Both their Brown Shugga and S@cks are excellent.

Can’t wait to read what you think about the Bud Copper Lager.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Highly impressive and far less embarrassing than being evicted from the gambling thread on the EK Forum.
    Haha honestly, that’s about as embarrassed as I’ve been in recent memory... I pride myself on doing my research and double checking my work (for the most part), so for me to blatantly miss Jason’s one and only rule for two consecutive gambling threads was unfortunate. I would have gotten kicked out of fight club too.

No beer for me tonight, decided to go with some Blanton’s on the rocks... Coaching ten 7-9 year olds for my daughter’s bball team while trying to keep my almost 2 year old from getting trampled by the other 3 teams practicing in the gym required something a little stronger when I got home.

Pre-Game (unstamped 12 ounce can)-The Unknown Brewing Company

Another fridge leftover from the weekend on Sunday night.

It's a pilsner and probably an American/Euro hybrid. Poured a gold-tinged yellow with a bit of haze. Nose of lemon, apples and pears and tastes of the same with some honey-ish notes, lightly toasted grains and some floral hops. I'll guess IBUs around 30 with the ABV registering at 4.5%. Would pair well with cold cut sandwiches and light chicken or seafood fare.

Alpha Klaus (no bottle dating)-Three Floyds Brewing

Their take:

"Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Xmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and, of course, tons of strange American hops."

My take:

Nice Christmas gift from our younger daughter and her husband.

Pour was a dark mahogany with a modest, thin, tan head. Typical porter scents (milk chocolate and coffee) with tastes of dark brown sugar, more chocolate than coffee, some grapefruit peel, flecks of burned pumpernickel toast and a pinch of licorice. This is what I think a "beer cocktail" made with a Baltic porter, a black IPA and a standard porter would taste like. IBUs are quoted as 38 and the ABV is 6%. This made a great pairing with a leftover bowl of Mrs. dd's almost famous chili tonight. It's also be happy with a slice of chocolate cake/torte. Three remain for trading/sharing.

Took the day off to get a marriage license, now enjoying some Silent Night.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Congratulations . . . . x2!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Congratulations . . . . x2!
    Ditto.

"You might be a redneck if...

...you've never had any kind of license."

Long Winter Mocha Stout (unstamped can)-Booneshine Brewing Company

Trader from fuse last month. Thanks!

Poured from the 12 ounce can into a shaped Dogfish Head pint glass last PM. Color was almost black with a thin, tan head. This really smelled and tasted like liquid, dark chocolate, coffee-flavored fudge but not quite *that* thick . There was some dark caramel, burnt cereal/toast and hints of molasses. IBUs on their website at 60 and the bitterness is heavily roasted grains and not piney/resiny hops. ABV 9% so it's and imperial stout and the dark chocolate and cacao nibs are added along with cold-brewed Hatchet coffee. Absolutely delectable and highly recommended.

Another public thank you to fuse for parting with this gem!

A fun read which I largely agree with:

https://www.nydailynews.com/featured...QZIa6vRRSuqI5M

It is actually a list of 37 beers not counting “every beer from New Glarus and Firestone Walker”.

I’ve had 29 of the actual beers listed. 🍻

It is actually a list of 37 beers not counting “every beer from New Glarus and Firestone Walker”.

Did you count Not Your Father's Root Beer?

My father in law loves that stuff... Which would be cause for concern if he didn't have other redeeming qualities; he's a can collector, so when he's out of town for work he'll bring back a 6 pack of random beers he thought had cool cans, then asks me to dispose of the liquids.

Ok, who knew Bull Durham Beer was founded by Capitol Broadcasting Company?

https://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...eer-co.602039/

Interesting move. I’ve only had one R&D beer and I thought it was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Did you count Not Your Father's Root Beer?

My father in law loves that stuff... Which would be cause for concern if he didn't have other redeeming qualities; he's a can collector, so when he's out of town for work he'll bring back a 6 pack of random beers he thought had cool cans, then asks me to dispose of the liquids.
    I think 32 for me (33 if you count the "hard" root beer ).

Some of those are old and out of production, IIRC, like Bert Grants (check) and New Albion (never had).

Ok, who knew Bull Durham Beer was founded by Capitol Broadcasting Company?

https://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...eer-co.602039/

Interesting move. I’ve only had one R&D beer and I thought it was pretty good.
    Nice find. It makes sense BDB was founded by CBC given the Durham Bulls connection. I thought their beer was OK. One R&D beer for me, too, with a similar memory.

From last PM:

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Edinbrue (month and date missing from can stamp but it was brewed in 18 )-Brueprint Brewing Company

Pint can (~$4) bought (all by myself without help from fuse ) before New Year's but never shared so it was all mind last PM .

It's a Scotch (style) ale that has slept in bourbon barrels for months and months.

Two equal aliquots of 8 ounces each over an hour from a shaped DFH pint glass. Mildly murky, dark amber without sediment. Wow, this is boozy along with caramel and a bit of smoke wafting from the glass. Tasting confirms this is quite boozy, along with some herbal/earthy hops, some peat, dark caramel, vanilla, oak/wood and toasted coconut. Rather warming at 9% ABV (I'd have thought 11% or more) and very mild on the palate at 19 IBUs. Maybe serve this with a steak or beef brisket? Maybe make it dessert? I like Catawba's BBA Hooligan better but this was quite good.

This is another Triangle area (Apex) brewery that has really improved since opening several years ago. I'd buy this again (and again ).

Thoughtfully “craft”-ed additions to the dictionary:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.o...018-additions/

I think 32 for me (33 if you count the "hard" root beer ).

Some of those are old and out of production, IIRC, like Bert Grants (check) and New Albion (never had).
    I had the limited (Boston Beer Company?) recreation of New Albion, but not the original so I didn’t count it.

I suspect some of the ones you’ve had that I have not include Pliny the Elder and Dark Lord.

From last PM:

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Edinbrue (month and date missing from can stamp but it was brewed in 18 )-Brueprint Brewing Company

Pint can (~$4) bought (all by myself without help from fuse ) before New Year's but never shared so it was all mind last PM .

It's a Scotch (style) ale that has slept in bourbon barrels for months and months.

Two equal aliquots of 8 ounces each over an hour from a shaped DFH pint glass. Mildly murky, dark amber without sediment. Wow, this is boozy along with caramel and a bit of smoke wafting from the glass. Tasting confirms this is quite boozy, along with some herbal/earthy hops, some peat, dark caramel, vanilla, oak/wood and toasted coconut. Rather warming at 9% ABV (I'd have thought 11% or more) and very mild on the palate at 19 IBUs. Maybe serve this with a steak or beef brisket? Maybe make it dessert? I like Catawba's BBA Hooligan better but this was quite good.

This is another Triangle area (Apex) brewery that has really improved since opening several years ago. I'd buy this again (and again ).
    Great review. This is one of Brueprint’s best offerings.

I’ve never had the Catawba Hooligan you reference. My limited tastings of Catawba beer have been “meh” at best.

I had the limited (Boston Beer Company?) recreation of New Albion, but not the original so I didn’t count it.

I suspect some of the ones you’ve had that I have not include Pliny the Elder and Dark Lord.
    The latter 2 are correct.

Thoughtfully “craft”-ed additions to the dictionary:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.o...018-additions/
    Beer-cation needs to be added.

Great review. This is one of Brueprint’s best offerings.

I’ve never had the Catawba Hooligan you reference. My limited tastings of Catawba beer have been “meh” at best.
    Had the Hooligan on draft during a visit to their barrel room several years ago. Also had the Sour Zombie while sitting in their barrel room, far better than their White Zombie. I'd mostly agree with "meh."