Page 910 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 410810860900908909910911912920960101014101910 ... LastLast
Results 18,181 to 18,200 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Important to note that there is no hyphen between "Christmas" and "beer.

(1) Sam Adams Old Fezziwig is a decent, but not particularly noteworthy, winter ale.

(2) Same comment about Catawba's Mother Trucker pale ale.

(3) Hardywood's original GBS is better on draft than it is from a bottle, but that's more a comment on how outstanding the draft version was than a criticism of the bottled version.

(4) It took me probably 13 holes of slow sipping, in low-50's temperatures, to finish-off a 12-ounce bottle of DFH 120 Minute. It would have completely lost its swing-oil helpfulness had I downed it in fewer holes, and I can't even begin to imagine drinking that beer in the summertime. It remains a five-alarm-fire IIPA, and I think I'm going to let my other 12-ounce bottle of it lay down in storage for a while . . . . like a year or more.

(5) I think a year's worth of aging took some of the sharpness out of the Foothills Moravian People's Porter. It was a delicious accompaniment to some chocolate mousse on Christmas Eve.

(6) Long Trail Brewing Co.'s Welcome to Vermont DIPA was fantastic. A nice deep gold color, with some haziness to it. Very good citrus notes, balanced well against the hops (Amarillo, Citra, and Simcoe). 8.3% ABV and IBUs at 50. I struggle finding really "standout" IPAs any more, but I'd search this one out again.

(7) I believe the Maine Beer Company IPA I had was a collaboration with Half Acre called "Son of Sapping Mammoth." It was a lighter, brighter gold color than the Long Trail DIPA. It was a little more subtle as well, with just a little less citrus but about the same hoppiness. Also a very good beer. ABV at 6.5%, and I'd put the IBUs in the mid 50's to maybe 60.

Anticipating ringing-out 2018 in style . . . . .
    I believe the draft chances for the original GBS have come and gone in our area. Really sorry to have missed having a half pint of this after your review. Happy to settle for a half bottle. Or two half bottles.

The longer you age the DFH 120, the more palatable it will become. I *think* I still have a 2009 bottle.

I haven't had a Long Trail brew in a decade probably. I think it was Double Bag or something like that (a double altbier). Fond memory there.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    From 12/25/14:

Hey, dt, is this the St. Bernardus you posted today that you never took to your family dinner 4 years ago?

That would be a "Yes!"

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Quite a haul, indeed. I’m quite intrigued by the Founder’s Barrel Runner, will look forward to reading what you think of it.
    Just finished this, and it is a really interesting beer. The rum barrel aging is very evident, just on the nose (and you can quadruple it on the palate). Pours a golden brown, with a fairly small off-white head. My only criticism is a harsh aftertaste that is a little off-putting. Not sure I’d go out of my way to track this down, but if you like a dark rum, this beer should intrigue you.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Just finished this, and it is a really interesting beer. The rum barrel aging is very evident, just on the nose (and you can quadruple it on the palate). Pours a golden brown, with a fairly small off-white head. My only criticism is a harsh aftertaste that is a little off-putting. Not sure I’d go out of my way to track this down, but if you like a dark rum, this beer should intrigue you.
    Hmmm, moving this up in the tasting order/minutes rotation over the next several days. I asked about it this summer and got blank stares. Saw it at Total Wine earlier this month and bought out of curiosity.

Hmmm, moving this up in the tasting order/minutes rotation over the next several days. I asked about it this summer and got blank stares. Saw it at Total Wine earlier this month and bought out of curiosity.
    I’d rank it somewhere between Jack White and Alex O’Connell. Perhaps the Marques Bolden of beers.

I’d rank it somewhere between Jack White and Alex O’Connell. Perhaps the Marques Bolden of beers.
    Glad I have four because if I had bought a much lesser quantity, wait for it, I could be looking at OAD.

Whelp, feeling foolish I passed on picking up some of the lead off beer for this article:

https://www.hopculture.com/best-winter-beers-2018/

Glad I have four because if I had bought a much lesser quantity, wait for it, I could be looking at OAD.
    In this instance, it probably *is* better to stretch four . . . . .

(sorry)

Whelp, feeling foolish I passed on picking up some of the lead off beer for this article:

https://www.hopculture.com/best-winter-beers-2018/
    I've had 1/15 (Mean Old Tom) but have a Heavyweight Champ that will be opened/shared in the next few days.

In this instance, it probably *is* better to stretch four . . . . .

(sorry)
    I considered buying eight but I typically only roll with a 7 beer rotation (bad, dd, bad).

Land Grant Bandwagon Hazy IPA

Yup, on the Duke bandwagon today!!!! 🔵👿

One of the least hazy hazy IPAs I’ve seen.

Nose is pineapple and mango.

Another excellent Land Grant beer.

Really juicy.

Let’s Go Duke!

Land Grant Bandwagon Hazy IPA

Yup, on the Duke bandwagon today!!!! 🔵👿

One of the least hazy hazy IPAs I’ve seen.

Nose is pineapple and mango.

Another excellent Land Grant beer.

Really juicy.

Let’s Go Duke!
    Pretty good brews coming from Ohio these days.

Holiday Haze-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Single 12 ounce bottle from their 2018 Snow Pack sampler which was gifted in its entirety by a brother-in-law on Christmas day and he didn't even stay for dinner.

It's a hazy IPA that was an orange-yellow hue with a moderate head after an aggressive pour. Juicy citrus nose, followed by orange and peach juices, grapefruit rind, some tangerine and mango. I'm surprised at this given the hops used (see below). IBUs at 40 (very mild bitterness) with ABV at 6.5%. Two more available for trades. Very good beverage. Ingredients:

YEAST: Ale yeast
    BITTERING HOPS: Cascade
    FINISHING HOPS: Cascade
    MALTS: Pilsner, Oats, Wheat, Acidulated

(caps courtesy of the SN website and my copy and paste )

Holiday Haze-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Single 12 ounce bottle from their 2018 Snow Pack sampler which was gifted in its entirety by a brother-in-law on Christmas day and he didn't even stay for dinner.

It's a hazy IPA that was an orange-yellow hue with a moderate head after an aggressive pour. Juicy citrus nose, followed by orange and peach juices, grapefruit rind, some tangerine and mango. I'm surprised at this given the hops used (see below). IBUs at 40 (very mild bitterness) with ABV at 6.5%. Two more available for trades. Very good beverage. Ingredients:

YEAST: Ale yeast
    BITTERING HOPS: Cascade
    FINISHING HOPS: Cascade
    MALTS: Pilsner, Oats, Wheat, Acidulated

(caps courtesy of the SN website and my copy and paste )
    I enjoyed this beer also. If you are reaching for a post Independence Bowl beer from Sierra Nevada, I’d suggest a Celebration 🙄🍻

Finally saw the Budweiser Copper Lager aged on Jim Beam staves.
    The $9 per six pack didn’t dissuade me as much as the already copious amounts of beer in the house already.

Still no sign of Bulleitt aged Guinness.

I enjoyed this beer also. If you are reaching for a post Independence Bowl beer from Sierra Nevada, I’d suggest a Celebration 🙄🍻
    You may have the "Celebration" as I've had mine already for the year . I think I'll have the Winter Warmer lager next .

You may have the "Celebration" as I've had mine already for the year . I think I'll have the Winter Warmer lager next .
    Had the Winter Warmer as well, it was also highly enjoyable.

Had the Winter Warmer as well, it was also highly enjoyable.
    Hmm, getting mighty suspicious you bought the 12 pack ...

Birthday celebration, have sampled Ardent Sweet Potato and Sage Saison 6.4% abv and 28 ibu’s. Troegs Grand Cru ale brewed with honey and cherries 11% abv with spicy Belgian yeast, Hardywood’s Trickery an imperial milk stout aged in apple brandy barrels at 13.5% abv, and last the Double Barrel GBS from Hardywood at 14.8% and 55 ibu’s. All the GBS set owners got one. DukeTaylor if you can find one, get one. It is spectacular to me. Last year was bourbon barrel aged and rum barrel aged. This one is bourbon barrel aged and brandy barrel aged. I can only imagine it will be even better a year from now. Full reviews to follow. Have to finish and sleep/sober up.
    Last edited by accfanfrom1970; 12-27-2018 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Addition

Check Six Brewing (Southport, NC)

When your localism gets the best of you. Had a flight of four beers (two IPA varieties, an Irish dry stout, and a coffee porter). All meh. My guess is the brewery is very “young.” Hopefully someday they’ll mature into good beer.