Page 908 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 408808858898906907908909910918958100814081908 ... LastLast
Results 18,141 to 18,160 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Great meet-up with mattman (who had several brews/samples and *promises* to review later today or tomorrow ) and Amused Cupcake. Several hops and grains were harmed. More later.
    Uh huh.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

From last PM:

Face Down Brown Ale (canned 08/31/18)-Telluride Brewing Company

A patient almost always brings back a beer when does skiing, err, business in Colorado and last week was no exception as he dropped by the office and left this 12 ounce can. No HIPAA violation here.

A vigorous pour into a pint glass showed me a dark brown color and a foamy, tan head. Expected scents of nuts and herbal hops (it was brewed in Colorado but not *that* kind of herbal). Dark caramel, almonds, brown sugar, coffee and more herbs tantalized the palate. I don't think any of the flavors were adjuncts. I'll guess IBUs about 30 and will also guess the ABV about 6% as there were no advanced stats on the vessel. Pleasant enough brew but not one I'd seek out as there are likely hundreds of others better in the state. But, a very appreciated gift, nonetheless.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Attenuation Maximation (draft)-Compass Rose Brewery

This brewery is 2.1 miles from our house and the trip to meet up with mattman today took 4 minutes. Highly embarrassing that I've never been until today.

This was a brut IPA (probably my second or third) so the 5 ounce pour as part of a 4 beer flight showed up a hazy yellow with a mildly fruity nose and a smallish, fisszy head. Mouth feel was effervescent with a very light body containing floral, citrus and mildly vinous flavors. IBU was 10 so I'm not sure how this qualifies as an IPA. Minimally bitter with the ABV at 6.8%. I'd have another of these and would suggest anyone who doesn't like IPAs should try a brut/milkshake/NE style and possibly change their mind.

Devil's Demise Tripel (draft)-Compass Rose Brewery

Dare I state: drink local!

Second 5 ounce sample on my flight was a light amber color with a small head. Nose of light brown sugar, clove, banana and a whiff of bubble gum. Sweet, smooth mouthfeel with similar tastes with a bit of coriander (likely added; the other scents/tastes are not added most likely) and black pepper. Another easy-on-the-palate brew with IBUs at 26 and the ABV of 8.1%. I'd have another of these, too, but would change the name to Devil's Victory or Devil's Triumph .

devil9f.gif

Great meet-up with mattman (who had several brews/samples and *promises* to review later today or tomorrow ) and Amused Cupcake. Several hops and grains were harmed. More later.
    If it was in Asheville, I am personally offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    If it was in Asheville, I am personally offended.
    It was not.

See preceding/above 2 reviews from:

http://www.compassrosebrewery.com/

It was not.

See preceding/above 2 reviews from:

http://www.compassrosebrewery.com/

Then I am not offended, and I hope you have/had a wonderful time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Then I am not offended, and I hope you have/had a wonderful time.
    Beer is (almost) always better with friends. I'll be sure to credit mattman and the lovely and charming Amused Cupcake in one of the next 2 reviews from this afternoon's Raleigh brews.

BBA Scott's View (draft)-Compass Rose Brewery

More local!

I don't think it could be more simple than this: take your Scottish-style export ale and drain a few gallons of it into previously used bourbon barrels and let it stew for several months, drain it back into some kegs, hook up a tap to it and dispense to thirsty craft beer fans over the holidays .

Five ounce pour was dark brown with a thin, tan head. Smells like a Scotch ale should: caramel-y, milk chocolate-y and peaty/smoky. Tasted like chocolate-covered dark caramel candy that had absorbed a bit of smoke from a backyard barbecue. The bourbon flavors entered early and lingered through each sip. Pretty easy to please the palate with this one at 20 IBUs and a very smooth, drinkable 7.5% ABV. Food pairings might include a brisket, ribs or a Shepherd's Pie.

This didn't rival Hooligan, a BBA Scotch-style ale at 13% ABV I tasted in the barrel room at Catawba Brewing a couple years ago, but, then again, not many beers would.

BBA Black Squall (draft)-Compass Rose Brewery

Fourth and final 5 ounce sample of the afternoon whilst enjoying pleasant conversation with mattman and his special lady. As I responded to MtnDevil, beer is (almost) always better with friends and this session was no different. Happy to welcome them to a "new-ish" brewery in Raleigh. They seemed to enjoy many of the offerings and even planned on taking a $10 crowler or two back to family and/or friends this evening for the holidays.

They took their stock dry oatmeal stout and aged it in Heaven Hill barrels for several months. This gave the almost midnight-colored brew with a small, beige head, woody aromas and tastes with some toasted coconut, vanilla (neither added) and boozy notes. Nice, silky mouthfeel from the oats and the bourbon was moderately warming. IBUs at 48 and the ABV was 7.2%, not quite imperial level but rather potent for a "regular" stout. Highly recommended.

I'm not sure which ones mattman sampled so I'll let him post his thoughts once he's safely back in Asheville.

(lol)

Hoping to sneak in a Silent Night or GBS later tonight.

Wishing all those who celebrate a very Merry Christmas!!! 🎄🎊🎉🍻

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Hoping to sneak in a Silent Night or GBS later tonight.

Wishing all those who celebrate a very Merry Christmas!!! 🎄🎊🎉🍻
    Sneak?

24.gif24.gif

From 9/24/17:

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Haw River Pound of Flesh

Bourbon barrel aged blonde sour ale aged on watermelon rinds, white peppercorn and white tea leaves

Smells pretty rotten- very sour, salty and maybe a whiff of pickled watermelon.

Love Ninja took a sip and said no thank you.

I taste a very mild watermelon jolly rancher with a salty and sour finish.

Whatever spice/heat the peppercorn add, or the white tea flavour are too delicate for my palate.

A bit pricey for what it is, nonetheless a great way to celebrate a soccer victory.

Cheers!
    From yesterday evening:

Pound of Flesh-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Ahh, the search feature delivers. I figured someone had reviewed this before with the 2 most likely suspects being you or TW.

"Barrel-aged sour blonde ale with white peppercorns and white tea leaves." (from memory as I don't have the bottle)

I believe this is a variant now as the 500 ml bottle our older son-in-law shared with me is labeled "barrel-aged" in small font on the label and a bit of Googling (safer than sporking ) mentions wine barrel-aging which makes more sense after tasting.

Poured into a thistle-type glass with no stem. Appearance was slightly cloudy and sunshine yellow in color with a super thin head. Wow, this smells like fresh squeezed lemon juice. Pucker factor is moderate on the palate with a lot of Watermelon Sour Patch Kids/Warheads or Jolly Rancher, sour version (if one exists) as fuse posted. Pickled watermelon rinds (leftovers from a summer watermelon beer they brew with which I am not familiar) are added to the base beer before aging. Mild to moderate amount of brine along with a lot of vinous notes, thinking this was aged in chardonnay/white zinfandel barrels, certainly not bourbon. There's a pinch of white pepper and I really can't discern any tea flavors. I'll guess IBUs of 10 or less and the ABV stated on the label is 7% (with 7.4% quoted on Untappd and 6.8% on beeradvocate). I especially liked this ale but could easily understand a number of factors that would turn one off while tasting. Cost me nothing except a couple hours playing with the grand-kiddies but set the SIL back $12-14 I think.

I had no idea there were this many types/styles of beer glasses (not to be confused with beer goggles ):

https://www.homestratosphere.com/types-of-beer-glasses/

A little different list of top Christmas beers from two years ago:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...asted.html?a=1

Oh by golly have a holly-jolly Christmas ... with beer!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Oh by golly have a holly-jolly Christmas ... with beer!
    I'm on-call today and tomorrow so Bah Humbug.

(But, I will take you up on the above starting on December 26. )

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all Ymm, Beer denizens and to DBR in general!

From 9/24/17:

From yesterday evening:

Pound of Flesh-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Ahh, the search feature delivers. I figured someone had reviewed this before with the 2 most likely suspects being you or TW.

"Barrel-aged sour blonde ale with white peppercorns and white tea leaves." (from memory as I don't have the bottle)

I believe this is a variant now as the 500 ml bottle our older son-in-law shared with me is labeled "barrel-aged" in small font on the label and a bit of Googling (safer than sporking ) mentions wine barrel-aging which makes more sense after tasting.

Poured into a thistle-type glass with no stem. Appearance was slightly cloudy and sunshine yellow in color with a super thin head. Wow, this smells like fresh squeezed lemon juice. Pucker factor is moderate on the palate with a lot of Watermelon Sour Patch Kids/Warheads or Jolly Rancher, sour version (if one exists) as fuse posted. Pickled watermelon rinds (leftovers from a summer watermelon beer they brew with which I am not familiar) are added to the base beer before aging. Mild to moderate amount of brine along with a lot of vinous notes, thinking this was aged in chardonnay/white zinfandel barrels, certainly not bourbon. There's a pinch of white pepper and I really can't discern any tea flavors. I'll guess IBUs of 10 or less and the ABV stated on the label is 7% (with 7.4% quoted on Untappd and 6.8% on beeradvocate). I especially liked this ale but could easily understand a number of factors that would turn one off while tasting. Cost me nothing except a couple hours playing with the grand-kiddies but set the SIL back $12-14 I think.
    I’ve enjoyed this the few times I’ve had it.

2014 Silent Night went down the drain 😭