Page 907 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 407807857897905906907908909917957100714071907 ... LastLast
Results 18,121 to 18,140 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

From 3/19/18:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Old Stock Ale (2015)-North Coast Brewing Company

This would have been nice to side-by-side with the 2014 version with an expert panel and/or family contingent but I settled for consecutive nights, given its 11.8% ABV.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Founders snifter, it appeared much like the 2014 brewing. Overall, they were pretty comparable with this year's tasting have a bit more brandy/rummy notes and maybe some dark cherry nuances. I didn't look up the IBUs but I'll guess about 30. It was very pleasant as a night cap but I could imagine sipping this with a petite filet, some roasted potatoes and a serving of broccoli au gratin.
    From last PM:

Old Stock Ale (2015)-North Coast Brewing Company

Last bottle. <sniff>

Couldn't wait until March, 2019.

Pretty clean, dark brown vigorous pour with a generous, beige head. Toffee/dark caramel nose with warm, boozy tastes along with dark, dried fruits and a bit of milk chocolate. Superb again at about 55-60 degrees from a snifter. Totally worth the $12-14 for a 4 pack to sip now and save the others for another year or two.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Bwahahaha (draft)-Oskar Blues Brewery

I do not invent these beer names. Honestly.

A single hop IPA, this one with Michigan Cashmere hops from Hop Head Farms in Michigan.

Pour was a clear, yellow-orange with a frothy, off-white head. Enticing nose of a tropical fruit salad with tastes of pineapple, grapefruit, cantaloupe and orange. Very mild bitterness, guessing 40 IBUs with the ABV at 7.5%. The owner of Falls Village Wine and beer is almost giving this away at $3 for a 12 ounce tulip and $7 for a half gallon crowler. And, as a matter of fact, I did not see this on my final tab after I bought a couple $9 crowlers of BBA Cherry People's Porter (tip of the tulip to Tripping William for noting this had been released) and several other assorted cans/bottles for next week's guests.

Bwahahaha (draft)-Oskar Blues Brewery

I do not invent these beer names. Honestly.

A single hop IPA, this one with Michigan Cashmere hops from Hop Head Farms in Michigan.

Pour was a clear, yellow-orange with a frothy, off-white head. Enticing nose of a tropical fruit salad with tastes of pineapple, grapefruit, cantaloupe and orange. Very mild bitterness, guessing 40 IBUs with the ABV at 7.5%. The owner of Falls Village Wine and beer is almost giving this away at $3 for a 12 ounce tulip and $7 for a half gallon crowler. And, as a matter of fact, I did not see this on my final tab after I bought a couple $9 crowlers of BBA Cherry People's Porter (tip of the tulip to Tripping William for noting this had been released) and several other assorted cans/bottles for next week's guests.
    Hope you enjoy the Cherry Porter as much as I did.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Hope you enjoy the Cherry Porter as much as I did.
    Report late next week.

Will probably side-by-side with the regular BBA People's Porter, followed by some Sexual Chocolate iterations.

Report late next week.

Will probably side-by-side with the regular BBA People's Porter, followed by some Sexual Chocolate iterations.
    I’d add Dead & Berried to that lineup, if you have it.

Thanks to you, yes, and thanks to my stellar discipline (), I still have that bottle and it will indeed be on the long list next week.

Thanks to you, yes, and thanks to my cellar discipline (), I still have that bottle and it will indeed be on the long list next week.
    FIFY, as the kids say.

So many beers, so little time.
    I wonder how many other hobbies are FOMO driven?

Oddjob (11/08/18 stamped on bottom of can)-Rheingeist Brewery

Received as traders from our son in Ohio, consumed in NC.

Aggressive pouring from a 12 ounce can into a (boring) standard pint glass gave rise to a voluminous, slightly off-white head. Ahh, fresh oranges and grapefruits greet my olfactory lobe. Tropicana (or Dole ) tropical juice blend coats the tongue with the bitterness of grapefruit and orange rinds, the sweetness of mango, pineapple and peach purees, a drizzle of honey and the oils of fresh hops and a bit of pine/resin. IBUs claimed as 96 (I'd have guessed 70 something) with the ABV at 8.3%. Very well-balanced but if I were to pick a nit (why not, it's still DBR ), I'd like the ABV a bit higher for this DIPA style. Three remain for sharing and/or trading. Another outstanding, limited Rheingeist release.
    Pale yellow in colour, minimal head.

Smells like pineapple juice, I’m getting excited already.

A hefty bit of bitterness up front that smoothes out and ends in tropical fruity goodness as described above.

I agree with devildeac, this is a very fine beer!

FIFY, as the kids say.
    I’m still stuck on “discipline” 🙄🤔

I think we’re confusing available hours of the day with restraint 🤣🤣🤣

Stiff Arm (draft)-Land Grant Brewing Company

Local! Again!

One of their core beers, I guess because there are two seasons in Columbus, OH: football season and spring/summer practice season .

This two ounce pour was a light bronze with a small head. More citrusy and tropical aromas and tastes than Goon which swayed my decision to purchase a 6er of this one. IBUs 50 from the website but 60 claimed at the brewery with ABV at 6.4%. A nicely done IPA. Their marketing ploy:

"Like a palm to your jaw, our American IPA delivers a jolt of hoppy goodness. An ale as well-rounded as any All-Timer, our Stiff-Arm IPA combines all of its talents: All American hops, fragrant aromas of citrus and pine, a clean finish, and an uncanny sense of balance provided by a nice malt backing. It’s a classic American beer that will have you striking the pose year-round."

The roster:

HOPS: SUMMIT, CASCADE, CENTENNIAL, SIMCOE, CITRA
    MALTS: 2 ROW, GOLDPILS VIENNA, CARAMEL, CARAMEL VIENNE

(not responsible for all caps or incorrect spelling)
    I smell vanilla and caramel on the nose, with a whiff of pine. Probably says about how far out of whack my olfactory senses are more than anything about the beer.

And for me, it tastes the way it smells- like a vanilla cream soda laced with caramel syrup.

For an IPA, this tastes very malt driven. That’s not to say that there is no bitterness in this beer, its nicely balanced and fairly mild.

Another devildeac delivery special that is quite a treat.

Cheers!

FIFY, as the kids say.
    That works very well, too. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I’m still stuck on “discipline” 🙄🤔

I think we’re confusing available hours of the day with restraint 🤣🤣🤣
    That certainly is a good perception, too.

I smell vanilla and caramel on the nose, with a whiff of pine. Probably says about how far out of whack my olfactory senses are more than anything about the beer.

And for me, it tastes the way it smells- like a vanilla cream soda laced with caramel syrup.

For an IPA, this tastes very malt driven. That’s not to say that there is no bitterness in this beer, its nicely balanced and fairly mild.

Another devildeac delivery special that is quite a treat.

Cheers!
    This is always fun reading reviews before and after we've traded beers. Sometimes the perceptions are very, very similar and other times we can't decide between apples and oranges or pineapples and grapefruits. Many times I come away with, "What did I miss with that beer?" or "Why didn't I perceive that flavor?"

Lookout, Raleigh, later today mattman and devildeac get together at a relatively new brewery in Raleigh. No pint glass or snifter is safe.

Lookout, Raleigh, later today mattman and devildeac get together at a relatively new brewery in Raleigh. No pint glass or snifter is safe.
    “The world will never be the same ...”

“The world will never be the same ...”
    "But just you wait..."

Sorry to miss this opportunity to catch up. Parents arriving today.

Sorry to miss this opportunity to catch up. Parents arriving today.
    We'll miss you and will hoist one in your honor. Family first.

Reviews to follow. (would you expect anything else? )

Great meet-up with mattman (who had several brews/samples and *promises* to review later today or tomorrow ) and Amused Cupcake. Several hops and grains were harmed. More later.