Page 895 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 39579584588589389489589689790594599513951895 ... LastLast
Results 17,881 to 17,900 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Bandwagon (stamped on bottom of can: JUMPONIT 18/11/14)-Land Grant Brewing Company

Bought local, consumed at home!

Hazy IPA

Pour was a mildly cloudy, light copper with a small head. Not quite as pungent and aromatic as other NEIPA brews but still pretty tropical with pineapple, guava and mango scents, followed by similar tastes with some mild, zesty bitterness. IBUs on the website at 27 but 44 claimed at the brewery last week from their tap list. ABV was 7.2%. This might be interesting with a tropical fruit salad or sweet and sour entrees. I'll save another for myself and trade/share the 3 that remain from the 6er I bought last week at the brewery. Another very good product from this Columbus, OH brewery.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Hi-Wire has a huge facility at 10K square feet in the Golden Belt district of Durham. They also had a huge crowd from 300-500 PM when we were there and it didn't appear to be thinning out when we departed.

Hi-Wire tastings from their official grand opening. First up:

Vintage Sour (draft)-Hi Wire Brewing (Durham)

Darn near a pint pour for a $5 token. Good pricing.

Pour was a cloudy, amber-orange with a moderate, foamy head. Sour stone fruits immediately from the top of the cup, followed by sour peaches, oranges and tangerines on the palate with a splash of black tea (added). Not Destihl tart but quite a pucker. Apparently a variation of their original peach sour, also on the tap list at 6.9% ABV. This one was 8.11% (Fenway-type scoreboard said 8%, tap sheet said 8.11%). I'll guess about 10 IBUs. Worth sampling in Durham or Asheville.

Gimme the Brut (draft)-Hi Wire Brewing (Durham)

Two large sips stolen from our older son-in-law's pint pour for $5.

This may be my first Brut IPA, and a IIPA at that! More of a variation of a NEIPA that a traditional IIPA. It was yellow and mildly hazy with a moderate head. Lots of pineapple, papaya with some stone fruits for aromas and the same on the palate with minimal bitterness (20 IBUs! WTH? In a DIPA?). Fairly dry finish as advertised. A champagne IIPA? Perhaps. Worth a search.

Mattman was wondering if they had any different offerings than their usual session/year round beers and some seasonals. My response was an emphatic, "Hell, yea" as I sent him screen shots of the front and back pages of their 40 tap list today which included the usual suspects and easily another 15-20 sours, one-offs and collaborations.

10W40 Stout (draft)-Hi Wire Brewing (Durham)

Another 2 large gulps stolen from older daughter's 10 ounce pour for $5 token, usually $7 for the same size.

Why hasn't some other brewery called one of their concoctions by this name?

Dark brown pour with a creamy, tan head. Gorgeous nose of chocolate, coffee and vanilla (all added). Mouthfeel a bit thin but wonderful flavors of all the aforementioned additives without barrel-aging. Pretty balanced flavors with a bit less vanilla and a bit more chocolate and java on the palate. A bit thin for the style but smooth mouthfeel, guessing there are oats in the grain bill. I'd expect 9-10% ABV or more for the price (it was 8% ABV) with the IBUs about 50 by WAG'ing. Good quality RIS overall.

I'm kinda/sorta hoping that mattman will post some thoughts of his samplings from his visit to the upper taproom at Sierra Nevada today but I've been disappointed before...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hi-Wire has a huge facility at 10K square feet in the Golden Belt district of Durham. They also had a huge crowd from 300-500 PM when we were there and it didn't appear to be thinning out when we departed.
    Very impressive couple hours here yesterday afternoon WRT facility size, layout, selections and property in general. Moderate wait to buy beer tokens (15-20 minutes but we chatted with family) and a 5 minute wait for each serving if you went to an end line (10 minutes in the middle line). I've got a couple more to review but was impressed with their sours and specialty brews we shared in addition to the 5-6 of their usual suspects I've had over the last few years. Quite optimistic this will be a very nice addition to the re-vitalized downtown Durham.

Couple more Hi Wire brews from yesterday:

Raspberry Wheat Wine (draft)-Hi Wire Brewing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barley_wine#Wheat_wine

"A variation on the barley wine style involves adding a large quantity of wheat to the mash bill, resulting in what is referred to as wheat wine. This style originated in the United States in the 1980s."

I've had very few of these and would have trouble recalling what the names were and/or who brewed them. Hmm, might have to snoop around beeradvocate a bit .

This was also a few stolen gulps () from our older son-in-law's $5 token selection for about 10 ounces.

It appeared pinkish-amber with a small head. Aromas of berries and orange juice from the cup with vinous, orange juicy and berry flavors. The wheat imparts the orange flavors (generally) and they were pretty generous with their raspberry addition. I'll guess 20 IBUs so not bitter and more bitter like a barleywine. The ABV rolled in at 9%, the highest on their tap list. Made a nice pairing as I finished off my Cubano sammich from one of the food trucks.

Meant to pop in here before my trip to Durham last week, but got busy with the holidays and work. I ended up not renting a car, so I just stayed in Durham. Quick recap of my two days.

Wednesday
    First stop was at Clouds Brewing. I am thankful that no one recommended this. Only went because it was the first place open.
    Today IPA
    HOP J.A.M.
    One Eye PA
    El Hefe

I would not have any of those brews again. The venue itself was nice at least.

Next stop was Bull City Burger and Brewery for lunch and some drinks.
    27701 Durham Mild Ale
    Corked and Capped: Barrel Aged Brown Ale Old Fashioned
    Bryant Bridge Gateway Golden
    Fresh Hop Harvest Ale 2018
    Wa Wa Yonda Blonda

A lovely burger washed down with some quality beverages. The Yonda Blonda may have been my favorite from this round. I enjoy a nice blonde stout.

Made my way down to Tyler's Restaurant and Taproom for my next two drinks.
    6:45 To Raleigh - Lonerider Brewing
    Bed of Nails - Hi-Wire Brewing

I loved the Bed of Nails. Had a tad bit of sweetness that reminded me of a dunkel. One of my favorites from the trip.

Met my cousin for diner at Hutchins Garage before heading over to Cameron. Enjoyed some delicious pizza and washed it down with a Stateside Saison by Stillwater.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Meant to pop in here before my trip to Durham last week, but got busy with the holidays and work. I ended up not renting a car, so I just stayed in Durham. Quick recap of my two days.

Wednesday
    First stop was at Clouds Brewing. I am thankful that no one recommended this. Only went because it was the first place open.
    Today IPA
    HOP J.A.M.
    One Eye PA
    El Hefe

I would not have any of those brews again. The venue itself was nice at least.

Next stop was Bull City Burger and Brewery for lunch and some drinks.
    27701 Durham Mild Ale
    Corked and Capped: Barrel Aged Brown Ale Old Fashioned
    Bryant Bridge Gateway Golden
    Fresh Hop Harvest Ale 2018
    Wa Wa Yonda Blonda

A lovely burger washed down with some quality beverages. The Yonda Blonda may have been my favorite from this round. I enjoy a nice blonde stout.

Made my way down to Tyler's Restaurant and Taproom for my next two drinks.
    6:45 To Raleigh - Lonerider Brewing
    Bed of Nails - Hi-Wire Brewing

I loved the Bed of Nails. Had a tad bit of sweetness that reminded me of a dunkel. One of my favorites from the trip.

Met my cousin for diner at Hutchins Garage before heading over to Cameron. Enjoyed some delicious pizza and washed it down with a Stateside Saison by Stillwater.
    Great list. Next trip will have to include Ponysaurus, Fullsteam, Durty Bull and the new Hi-Wire.

Thursday:

My day started off at the The Pit for some BBQ
    Red Oak - Red Oak Brewery

Paired well with the BBQ and was a solid choice for a morning beer.

Made my way over to Ponysaurus in the afternoon.
    Altbier
    Don't Be Mean To People. A Golden Rule Saison
    Scottish Ale
    Pilsner

The names could use a bit of work...The Saison was the standout from this round. Bartender was friendly and had a nice chat about many of the local breweries. Good people.

Walked over to the new Hi-Wire facility once I finished up at Ponysaurus.
    Strongman Coffee Milk Stout
    Hi-Wire Gose
    Uprisin' Hefeweizen
    Hi-Wire Lager

The Gose and Lager stood out here. I saw the official grand opening was happening on Saturday. The venue is massive and looks like it would be a good place to grab a few drinks with friends.

Stopped for a Problem No Problem by Jolly Pumpkin at Criterion on my walk back into town.

Fullsteam
    In The Year 200
    Working Man's Lunch
    Farm's Edge: First Frost
    Carver
    Paycheck

Grabbed a quick bite to eat while I was here as well. Bar was filling up quite nicely for a Wednesday. First Frost was my favorite from this round. A 11% Belgian Quad with persimmon

Last stop of the trip was at Sam's Quik Shop. Enjoyed a delicious Spectral Elk by Bhramari while browsing. Purchased a bomber of Queen Bee Imperial Honey Wheat by Gizmo. Enjoyed it once I was safely back that evening. Bourbon forward, but settles well. Smooth brew.

A successful two days! Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. Hope to make it back to NC before too long

Great list. Next trip will have to include Ponysaurus, Fullsteam, Durty Bull and the new Hi-Wire.
    See the next post, got 3/4

Oops! I see you visited those the next day.

Makes the list/s even greater.

Look at my posts upthread, too WRT Hi-Wire. We visited Saturday for the official grand opening. I have one more to review from that afternoon and should finally get to it tonight .

Sour Blonde with Lemon and Rosemary (draft)-Hi Wire Brewing

Final full tasting of the day on Saturday. Local, of course .

Well, if luburch can enjoy a nice blonde stout, the I'm perfectly content with a sour blonde for 30 minutes, especially with rosemary . Mrs. dd didn't taste/approve but she really doesn't like beer unless it's a New Glarus fruit beer.

Pour (10 oz, $5 token) was a cloudy, fizzy yellow-gold with herbal garden scents. Mild to moderate pucker factor with freshly squeezed lemon, Sour Patch/Warheads lemon candy with enough rosemary to think pairing with grilled chicken or pork but not enough to overpower. Little bitterness, thinking IBUs of 10-20, with the ABV at 7.5%, a bit high for the style (imperial sour ). I chose this over the Flanders Red (which may have had cherries) which I think would have been very good, too, given their new/recent emphasis on soured and/or barreled ales at Hi-Wire.

Couple more Hi Wire brews from yesterday:

Raspberry Wheat Wine (draft)-Hi Wire Brewing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barley_wine#Wheat_wine

"A variation on the barley wine style involves adding a large quantity of wheat to the mash bill, resulting in what is referred to as wheat wine. This style originated in the United States in the 1980s."

I've had very few of these and would have trouble recalling what the names were and/or who brewed them. Hmm, might have to snoop around beeradvocate a bit .

This was also a few stolen gulps () from our older son-in-law's $5 token selection for about 10 ounces.

It appeared pinkish-amber with a small head. Aromas of berries and orange juice from the cup with vinous, orange juicy and berry flavors. The wheat imparts the orange flavors (generally) and they were pretty generous with their raspberry addition. I'll guess 20 IBUs so not bitter and more bitter like a barleywine. The ABV rolled in at 9%, the highest on their tap list. Made a nice pairing as I finished off my Cubano sammich from one of the food trucks.
    Here ya go-from 2008, so a bit dated as they quote only 32 styles exist:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/article...robable-style/

I'll snoop a bit more.

Here ya go-from 2008, so a bit dated as they quote only 32 styles exist:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/article...robable-style/

I'll snoop a bit more.
    More snooping:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/st...evsD&start=250

I couldn't spot a date on this one but there are 267 listed now .

First Mother Earth Silent Night of the year.

Breathless.
    First, evokes great memories of the trip down to Kinston for Silent Night day.
    (Could it have been any more perfect in Kinston that day?)

Smells like barrel staves and bourbon.

Looks like a stout, labelled an imperial stout, almost tastes like an old english imperial ale. Lots of wood, maybe a hint of chocolate and coffee, loads of booze.

Admittedly my “top ten” beer list is honestly more like a top 100.
    That said, Silent Night is if not “the” beer, no less than top two to five.
    There aren’t many beers that bring a smile and joy like Silent Night.

Sorry to have missed Silent Night Day this year- those variants looked amazing.

Cheers all, and Happy Holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    First Mother Earth Silent Night of the year.

Breathless.
    First, evokes great memories of the trip down to Kinston for Silent Night day.
    (Could it have been any more perfect in Kinston that day?)

Smells like barrel staves and bourbon.

Looks like a stout, labelled an imperial stout, almost tastes like an old english imperial ale. Lots of wood, maybe a hint of chocolate and coffee, loads of booze.

Admittedly my “top ten” beer list is honestly more like a top 100.
    That said, Silent Night is if not “the” beer, no less than top two to five.
    There aren’t many beers that bring a smile and joy like Silent Night.

Sorry to have missed Silent Night Day this year- those variants looked amazing.

Cheers all, and Happy Holidays!
    Breaks into huge grin. We'll likely side-by-side this from 2016 and/or 2017 with 2018 Bourbon County/variant after Christmas when delivered from Chicago. Stay tuned. I anticipate a Silent Night victory .

"Curmudgeon is an old ale brewed with molasses and aged on oak; it becomes Better Half after aging—for 254 days—in bourbon barrels that have more recently been aging Michigan maple syrup. As a result, Curmudgeon’s Better Half is much sweeter than her miserly counterpart."

Exactly what folks say when talking about this old curmudgeon and Mrs. dd.