Page 892 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 39279284288289089189289389490294299213921892 ... LastLast
Results 17,821 to 17,840 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Better Than Yours (illegible dots/printing on bottom of can)-Gizmo Brew Works

(brewed and packaged by Fortnight Brewing)

Local. Again.

Raspberry Milkshake IPA

Stolen from our older daughter and her husband as partial payment for a sleepover with the grandkiddies on Saturday .

Pour from a 12 ounce can was a very hazy, pineapple-lemon hue with a pink tinge. Head was moderate and frothy. Pineapple-y and tropical nose with Dole pineapple juice tastes blended with mango and papaya (none added) with a mildly sweet berry finish. The can states the Vic Secret and Azacca hops were not boiled but "pounds on pounds were added to a lengthy hop stand and massive dry hop" which yielded the extremely juicy aromas and flavors. Lactose and vanilla beans finalized the creation of this creamy, smooth concoction. Beer milkshake, indeed. I'll guess IBUs about 50 and the ABV is 8%. I actually bought a 4 bagger of this while at the brewery Friday afternoon and traded one, will drink two of my own and deliver one to Ohio next month in exchange for some Ohio winter brews.
    Inspired by this review, I acquired a can.

Poured hazy, as expected.

Nose is orange and pineapple- funny for a raspberry milkshake.

Sweet raspberry notes float throughout some citrus bitterness and smooth mouthfeel.

The sweet cream of the lactose sugar comes out as the beer warms as a nice finishing note.

Tastes a bit like an orange raspberry creamsicle.

I’m starting to form the opinion that Gizmo is really starting to come into its own as a solid brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Inspired by this review, I acquired a can.

Poured hazy, as expected.

Nose is orange and pineapple- funny for a raspberry milkshake.

Sweet raspberry notes float throughout some citrus bitterness and smooth mouthfeel.

The sweet cream of the lactose sugar comes out as the beer warms as a nice finishing note.

Tastes a bit like an orange raspberry creamsicle.

I’m starting to form the opinion that Gizmo is really starting to come into its own as a solid brewery.
    Ha! I was saving one from my 4 pack for you. Glad I inspired you to try one.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Hoping to convince Mrs. dd to share several New Glarus liquid desserts with me this evening as we couldn't do it any of the last 3 days.

Two 2018 Bourbon County Stout variants have been obtained by my Chicago beer purchasing and delivery agents and will be personally delivered after Christmas.

From 5/12/17:

Cran-bic (2016)-New Glarus Brewing Company

Next of the last of the litter from our September Duke football and midwest beer-cation. I believe I have one Oud Bruin I'm reserving for its one year anniversary this fall.

Perfect beer to share with the return of our daughter and her husband to Raleigh after their 10 day vacation.

Poured three (almost) equal servings into recently purchased champagne flutes. Pink, cloudy and effervescent. Fruity nose with mildly sour/tart, cranberry tastes tickling the taste buds. There's some woody/oaky presence along with a flash of acid/vinegar. Cranberry champagne. I'll guess IBUs of 20 and ABV of 5-6%. Very nice celebration beer. Would be nice with a plate of fruit. New Glarus fruit beer-never a disappointment.
    From tonight:

Cran-bic (2018)-New Glarus Brewing Company

Last one from the June pick-up/delivery.

I have nothing to add to the 2017 review of the 2016 version above. What a delightful beer!

Mrs. dd and I each had a 2.5 ounce portion in champagne flutes and we're using the rest for beer cocktails. She actually liked the mild tartness of this oak-aged, wild sour ale.

From 8/10/17 (among other tastings )

From 11/27/16:

From last PM and now:

Serendipity-New Glarus Brewing

(Sub-titled as Happy Accident Fruit Ale. Really.)

From the label:

"Severe Drought, we shared the farmer’s horror as Wisconsin’s cherry crop failed! Dan bought what cherries he could. The Apple crop fared better. Then joy! A grand Wisconsin cranberry harvest. What will Dan brew with Apples, Cranberries and Cherries? Oh my! You hold the happy accident of Wisconsin’s favorite fruit aged in oak with an almost magical wild fermentation. Serendipity is a wondrous celebration that sparkles your senses and dances across your palate. A kaleidoscope of flavor discovered by accident in a sour ale!"

Well, they really oughtta stop this take as they've brewed this for years and I doubt there's been a drought every year in Wisconsin, unless we're talking early April, 2015 .

Pour was a hazy, ruby-amber with a fizzy, short-lived head. This really smells like a fruit juice blend and tastes like fruited champagne. There's apple and cherry sweetness and cranberry tartness, along with a bit of oaky/woody funk/sour. I'll guess IBUs around 10 and ABV about 5%. Mrs. dd got a full champagne flute tonight after a half serving last PM to be sure she still liked it but this time around. She did but preferred the Raspberry Tart slightly more. I have a new beer buddy ! A generous quantity of this will be delivered in early October by the devildeac midwest package service.
    From tonight:

Serendipity (2018)-New Glarus Brewing Company

What Ocean Spray Cran-Apple juice might taste like if blended with their Cran-Cherry version and added a bit of wood-aged grain alcohol to it. Once again, a 2.5 ounce portion for each of us, saving the remainder for another beer cocktail. Mrs. dd liked this a bit more then the Cran-bic as this was a bit sweeter with the apples and cherries being added. NG fruit beers continue to amaze me since I discovered Wisconsin Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart over 20 years ago at an Oregon's Brewer's Festival.

Raspberry Tart (2018)-New Glarus Brewing Company

Finally, we had Thanksgiving dinner tonight and this was our third liquid dessert (again, 2.5 ounces each with the "leftovers" being used for more beer cocktails as I type ), following Cran-bic and Serendipity. So far, Mrs. dd's favorite of the three. Tastes like raspberry champagne aged in oak barrels.

New Glarus Uff-Da and Chocolate Stout are available. I'll be checking with the delivery service to see if any business (cough) trips are planned before they travel to NC after Christmas.

The Sandhills Report

We did, indeed, pay a visit to the really new Pinehurst Brewing Company. For those familiar with the area, it is about a half-block further down Magnolia Road from the Manor Inn. It used to be the old local steam power plant, now renovated to a brewery. It is great space, with a bar and then many tables for food (standard pub fare from the looks of it). On a Saturday night at Happy Hour, it was packed. Mrs. Tripping got to sit at the bar, but I had to stand.

Of their own brews, they currently offer a pale ale (Scratch), an IPA (Pivot), a golden ale (Golden Age), and a stout (Breakfast Ball). They had sold out of the golden ale, and I only tasted a little bit of the pale ale, which was okay-not-great.

The Pivot IPA was very tasty A nice hazy light-brown color, with a fairly generous off-white head. More citrus than hops, but well-balanced. Checks in at 6.9% ABV, and I would guesstimate IBUs in the upper-50's.

Mrs. Tripping ordered the Breakfast Ball stout. It was delicious. Reminds me a ton of Burial's Donut Skillet stout with intense coffee flavors. She detected a hint of raspberry, but I certainly didn't taste that. At 6.4% ABV, it is dangerous quaffable this time of year.

They also had some guest taps, so I tried Southern Pines Brewing's Pineapple Thief IPA. A hazy bright yellow, it smells like one has just opened a can of Dole pineapples. Those flavors are a little more muted on the palate, but still lots of tropical fruit notes. Worth seeking out. Clocks in at 6.4% ABV, and I'd guess IBUs near 50. Well done.

They also had Cold Mountain on tap, but I had already tried that for lunch at the Carolina Inn's Ryder Cup grill. It may be overhyped, and overpriced, but it sure is a delicious winter ale. I was very glad they had some for me to drink.

Sorry, dd, no Moore County brewing history tidbits this time around.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    We did, indeed, pay a visit to the really new Pinehurst Brewing Company. For those familiar with the area, it is about a half-block further down Magnolia Road from the Manor Inn. It used to be the old local steam power plant, now renovated to a brewery. It is great space, with a bar and then many tables for food (standard pub fare from the looks of it). On a Saturday night at Happy Hour, it was packed. Mrs. Tripping got to sit at the bar, but I had to stand.

Of their own brews, they currently offer a pale ale (Scratch), an IPA (Pivot), a golden ale (Golden Age), and a stout (Breakfast Ball). They had sold out of the golden ale, and I only tasted a little bit of the pale ale, which was okay-not-great.

The Pivot IPA was very tasty A nice hazy light-brown color, with a fairly generous off-white head. More citrus than hops, but well-balanced. Checks in at 6.9% ABV, and I would guesstimate IBUs in the upper-50's.

Mrs. Tripping ordered the Breakfast Ball stout. It was delicious. Reminds me a ton of Burial's Donut Skillet stout with intense coffee flavors. She detected a hint of raspberry, but I certainly didn't taste that. At 6.4% ABV, it is dangerous quaffable this time of year.

They also had some guest taps, so I tried Southern Pines Brewing's Pineapple Thief IPA. A hazy bright yellow, it smells like one has just opened a can of Dole pineapples. Those flavors are a little more muted on the palate, but still lots of tropical fruit notes. Worth seeking out. Clocks in at 6.4% ABV, and I'd guess IBUs near 50. Well done.

They also had Cold Mountain on tap, but I had already tried that for lunch at the Carolina Inn's Ryder Cup grill. It may be overhyped, and overpriced, but it sure is a delicious winter ale. I was very glad they had some for me to drink.

Sorry, dd, no Moore County brewing history tidbits this time around.

Maybe during/after another visit.

Sounds like a good, new brewery.

daughter

my youngest daughter just finished her first home made brew...50 bottles of a kind of hoppy Kolsch. It tasted just like a hoppy Kolsch is supposed to taste. Not my favorite type of beer, but I was impressed! Cost about 30 cent per beer for the materials I think.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    my youngest daughter just finished her first home made brew...50 bottles of a kind of hoppy Kolsch. It tasted just like a hoppy Kolsch is supposed to taste. Not my favorite type of beer, but I was impressed! Cost about 30 cent per beer for the materials I think.
    I've never home-brewed but I've heard it's not too expensive though apparently, hops ain't cheap anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Awesome!

Bond Brothers

Apparently the very green Tacovass disappeared in hours on Saturday, missed the opportunity.

Didn’t miss the opportunity to consume perhaps more than I should have.

Number four in their wild ale series (wow, was good) in addition to a NEIPA, session IPA and DIPA were all as good as Bond Brothers reputation.

Even at 10oz pours, this was a jolly afternoon.

Beer cocktails from last PM.

Cran-bic/Raspberry Tart-New Glarus Brewing Company

This was not an approved use I could find anywhere on their website .

Each of us had 4 ounce servings of this with 2 ounces of each making up the "cocktail.

The sweetness of the raspberries nicely balanced the mild tartness of the cranberries with some oakiness from the aging and a very mild sourness from the styles. The bitterness/IBUs of each component are fairly low, guessing 10-20, as are the ABVs with both in the ~5% range. A very interesting blending that received a nod of approval from Mrs. dd, who really doesn't like beer and reminds me often of that fact.

Second beer cocktail from yesterday:

Serendipity/Raspberry Tart-New Glarus Brewing Company

Mrs. dd highly approved of this one, liking it even more than the cranberry-raspberry combo and more than either the Raspberry Tart or Serendipity by themselves .
    She thought the very mild tartness from the cranberries in the Serendipity was nicely foiled by the apples and cherries already in that beer but the addition of the raspberries made it just a bit sweeter and more pleasing to her tender palate. Either combo would pair nicely with fresh fruit or a fruit pie, wheter it was won from a DBR bet or prepared fresh during the holiday season .

French Toast-Funky Buddha (cough, Constellation, cough) Brewing Company

"Oui monsieur bonjour coquette,
    Uh huh croissant e chevy corvette,
    Maurice chevalier effeil tower,
    Oh oui maria bagette bon soir,

FRENCH TOAST! FRENCH TOAST!"

First tasting from tailgate Saturday was a 12 ounce bottle August West was kind enough to share. Thanks!!

Poured a dark, dark brown with a moderate mocha head. Aromas as expected with maple and cinnamon, followed by grilled, custard-y bread and even more maple and cinnamon. Mouthfeel was sweet/syrupy. At this point, I'm not sure if I should be drinking this or asking our chefs why they didn't make their almost famous French Toast casserole so I could pour this all over and under it . IBUs were 35 and ABV was 8.8%, living up to the label as a double brown ale which one could also call an imperial brown ale. A delicious starter beer, best shared among several friends. Darn shame the game wasn't this delicious.

What could be of higher quality than me, an Old Curmudgeon?

Easy. Take that Old Curmudgeon, cover him with molasses then drop him in an old bourbon barrel that previously held maple syrup, allow him to age for several months and he'd likely end up looking and tasting something like this:

CURMUDGEONBH-1024x1024.jpg

Curmudgeon's Better Half (8-22-18 bottling date)-Founders Brewing Company

This hasn't been brewed since 2012 and I'd never seen or tasted before.

This 12 ounce bottle was shared by August West on Saturday so he deserves a loud shout out for his selection and kindness!

Pour was a medium amber brown with a small, tan head. Luscious aromas of dark brown sugar and caramel, Vermont's finest maple syrup and some bourbon. Raisins, dates and figs on the palate with more syrup, medium brown molasses and warming bourbon sensations tantalize the tongue. IBUs of 35 and ABV claimed at a dangerous 12.7%. I'm fortunate enough that AW also purchased a 4 pack of this for me when he saw it a month or two ago and started my tab at $18 for the fall season so I have a nice litter to sip, cellar and trade over the next 12-24 months.

Mrs. dd is also far more alluring than the woman pictured on the label, too.

Two 2018 Bourbon County Stout variants have been obtained by my Chicago beer purchasing and delivery agents and will be personally delivered after Christmas.
    I got the vanilla variant and the orange. Which two did you get? Saving them for football next year?

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I got the vanilla variant and the orange. Which two did you get? Saving them for football next year?
    Our younger son-in-law made the purchases last PM in Chicago land. I think he procured the orange and he wouldn't disclose the 2nd variant. I think they'll be consumed shortly after they arrive on the Friday after Christmas. Don't worry, I've got a nice selection already "cellared" for football tailgates next season. And, as always, you're invited for whatever games you're able to attend.

BTW, Foolery never made it out of the cooler on Saturday so that will very likely be an after Christmas tasting and review.