Page 884 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 38478483487488288388488588689493498413841884 ... LastLast
Results 17,661 to 17,680 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Mikkeller review

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Tbyers11 gets the sporks for that one. I suggested that Sapporo Brewery subsidiary .
    Sporks deserved, and sporks given.

Really, really crowded on a Tuesday evening (happy-hour'ish). That's a good sign. Great tap list. Half of it was for beers served at 45 degrees in temperature, and the other half was for ones served at 55 degrees. They claim a state-of-the-art gas blending system for their kegs that gives them "precise control over every beer."

I started out with Mikkeller's NEIPA (whose name I neglected to record) and some salt-and-pepper fries. Poured in a high-ball glass, it was a nice hazy color. Solid offering for the style, but nothing spectacular about it.

From there, I moved to Mikkeller's Monk's Brew, which is a Belgian-style strong ale. A very good, high-gravity beer at 10% ABV. Nice dark color, with some dark fruit and leather notes on the palate. An excellent rendition of one of my favorite styles, pairing well with the grass-fed beef burger I ordered.

The list of draft beers had a whole bunch of Alvinne offerings on it. I was torn between the Cuvee Mortagne, which is a Belgian quad aged in a bunch of different types of red wine barrels (Pomerol, St. Emilion, and Margaux) and the Kriek van Mortage, which is a sour wild ale with cherries aged in Pomerol barrels (making me think of Deshutes Dissident offering). My server convinced me to go with the Kriek, until moments later when he returned and apologized that all of the lines for the Alvinne kegs were being cleaned tonight, and therefore they had no Alvinne offerings available. Ouch.

It turned out okay, though, because I finished with a cask-conditioned version of Harviestoun's Old Dubh 10th Anniversary BA offering. This is a dark beer, from a Scottish brewery, aged two years in Highland Park Scotch barrels. It was awesome. The cask conditioning imparted a smoothness to it that was amazing, and the barrel aging gave it a nice boozy flavor. Think something like Backwoods Bastard, only better and cask-conditioned. The 8% ABV also seemed low to me, but I'm not complaining. It was a fantastic way to finish a meal.

Well done, Ymmm Beer (and tbyers in particular!).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post

Really, really crowded on a Tuesday evening (happy-hour'ish). That's a good sign. Great tap list. Half of it was for beers served at 45 degrees in temperature, and the other half was for ones served at 55 degrees. They claim a state-of-the-art gas blending system for their kegs that gives them "precise control over every beer."

I started out with Mikkeller's NEIPA (whose name I neglected to record) and some salt-and-pepper fries. Poured in a high-ball glass, it was a nice hazy color. Solid offering for the style, but nothing spectacular about it.

From there, I moved to Mikkeller's Monk's Brew, which is a Belgian-style strong ale. A very good, high-gravity beer at 10% ABV. Nice dark color, with some dark fruit and leather notes on the palate. An excellent rendition of one of my favorite styles, pairing well with the grass-fed beef burger I ordered.

The list of draft beers had a whole bunch of Alvinne offerings on it. I was torn between the Cuvee Mortagne, which is a Belgian quad aged in a bunch of different types of red wine barrels (Pomerol, St. Emilion, and Margaux) and the Kriek van Mortage, which is a sour wild ale with cherries aged in Pomerol barrels (making me think of Deshutes Dissident offering). My server convinced me to go with the Kriek, until moments later when he returned and apologized that all of the lines for the Alvinne kegs were being cleaned tonight, and therefore they had no Alvinne offerings available. Ouch.

It turned out okay, though, because I finished with a cask-conditioned version of Harviestoun's Old Dubh 10th Anniversary BA offering. This is a dark beer, from a Scottish brewery, aged two years in Highland Park Scotch barrels. It was awesome. The cask conditioning imparted a smoothness to it that was amazing, and the barrel aging gave it a nice boozy flavor. Think something like Backwoods Bastard, only better and cask-conditioned. The 8% ABV also seemed low to me, but I'm not complaining. It was a fantastic way to finish a meal.

Outstanding stuff. Thanks for sharing. Sounds far, far better than my sorry suggestion of Anchor Steam.

Better than Backwoods Bastard? Amazing.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post

Sounds like some good beer was had. I read about this on a list of best beer bars in the country awhile back. We are planning a family trip to SF next summer. I will try to make a dinner here a priority one evening.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Sounds like some good beer was had. I read about this on a list of best beer bars in the country awhile back. We are planning a family trip to SF next summer. I will try to make a dinner here a priority one evening.
    Worked out great for me. I will say, the food was only so-so, especially for SanFran. The beer is clearly the showcase, so that's probably worth bearing in mind (especially if some portion of the family is under 21).

Winter Ales

Just saw that Fiddlin’ Fish is releasing its [Bubba Cunningham] Over Tea Kettle Christmas ale today. Russian tea in a growler. It’s not Cold Mountain or anything, but still a tasty winter brew.

The crappiest brewery in Asheville is being rescued

After reading the headline I thought the place was being bought by a group of commies. Thankfully it looks like LAB will be in good hands. It surely can't get any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post

After reading the headline I thought the place was being bought by a group of commies. Thankfully it looks like LAB will be in good hands. It surely can't get any worse.
    Cool new name:

CANarchy Craft Brewery Collective

I used to work across the street from there. People would ask how LAB was and I would say "they have good food."

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I used to work across the street from there. People would ask how LAB was and I would say "they have good food."
    Welcome back pal!

Yeah, their food was usually pretty good. I believe the article said they will be changing the food menu as well. Should be interesting. I'm a fan of anything associated with Oskar Blues.

Welcome back pal!

Yeah, their food was usually pretty good. I believe the article said they will be changing the food menu as well. Should be interesting. I'm a fan of anything associated with Oskar Blues.
    Does that mean you'll be bringing me some stovepipes of their Rum Barrel-Aged Death By Coconut sometime early next year?

The W-n-B Reserve Series from Terrapin Beer Company, despite their ownership by millercoors, is quite excellent. More tomorrow.

Hard to argue with this list of 7 best breweries in Asheville.

https://www.alltherooms.com/blog/7-b..._BGp0QAsgNXVNE

I'd probably slide Zillicoah in as an honorable mention.

I've had the pleasure of visiting 4 of them.

Wait, no InBev?

The W-n-B Reserve Series from Terrapin Beer Company, despite their ownership by millercoors, is quite excellent. More tomorrow.
    Now you are just making me sad.

I have one in the fridge, and I agree my memories ahead of opening this one is they are delightful.

Tobacco Road Truth Serum Pale Ale

Pre Hamilton DPAC burger and brew.
    There were more interesting options, hard to resist the name.

A decent pale ale.

I've had the pleasure of visiting 4 of them.

Wait, no InBev?
    Ha!

I know you have been to Green Man, Burial, and SN. What was the 4th?

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Now you are just making me sad.

I have one in the fridge, and I agree my memories ahead of opening this one is they are delightful.
    Now, now Mr. Eeyore, I describe beers to make folks happy and excited to search out tasty new beverages.

I’d be curious how locals feel about Sierra Nevada and New Belgium being on the list.

Have they been adopted (begrudgingly or otherwise) as local? No doubt in mind mind both breweries make excellent beer.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I’d be curious how locals feel about Sierra Nevada and New Belgium being on the list.

Have they been adopted (begrudgingly or otherwise) as local? No doubt in mind mind both breweries make excellent beer.
    I kind of thought that too, but it is hard to argue with. IMO, you could replace NB with Zillicoah and I wouldn't even be mad at it. And actually, SN is in Mills River, not Asheville. So if they were counting Asheville area and not just the city, they would have to include Oskar Blues.