Page 878 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 37877882886887687787887988088892897813781878 ... LastLast
Results 17,541 to 17,560 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    No celebrating tonight, but I certainly look forward to hoisting a few with some of you folks next weekend. Cheers.
    Getting the band back together again as fuse said a while ago.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

International Stout Day-The closer.

Big Bad Baptist #113 (draft)-Epic Brewing Company

I'm guessing the # is correct based on this info from their website:

Release Number: 113
    ABV%: 12.10%
    Brew Date: 1/5/2018
    Pack Date: 10/9/2018
    Brewery: Denver
    Malt: Maris Otter Malt, 2-Row Brewer Malt, Crystal, Light Munich Malt T1, 2-Row chocolate malt, 2-row black malt, roasted barley
    Boil: Nugget, Chinook, Cascade
    Spices: Caffe Ibis and Cocoa Nibs

Bottle Revolution claims Epic has stopped distributing in NC and they were very happy/lucky to get this rare keg to tap today. WTH?

Poured a dark mahogany with a thin, tan head. Heavenly nose of dark chocolate and espresso. Coffee wins on the taste buds, followed closely by semi-sweet chocolate, burnt dark caramel and a very mild bourbon/boozy finish from the barrel aging. Moderate bitterness, some from the heavily roasted grains and some from the hop bill. I'll guess IBUs about 50 based on the imperial stout style. ABV was a stunning 12.1%. Another liquid dessert that would also be very happy at a brunchgate with or without some French toast, espresso fudge cups or triple chocolate brownies.

Changed up our usual Thursday routine at Crown Brewing and hit up the other local brewery, Off Square Brewing. They were tapping a recent collab with the local apple orchard/pumpkin patch that makes insanely good cinnamon donuts and we had to have a taste:

Donut Worry, Be Happy - 6.3% ABV Cream Ale - Off Square Brewing ~ Pretty tasty, but way too light to enjoy it properly IMO. When the brewmaster stopped at our table, I told him to find a way to put the same donut ingredients into a stout and then barrel age it.
    Beet Cancer - 7.4% ABV American IPA - Off Square Brewing ~ Super interesting combo of fresh local hops and beets... Floral and light with an earthy taste to it. % of proceeds also go to support cancer research.
    Bold Betty - 6.1% Coffee Stout - Off Square Brewing ~ I ALWAYS make it a point to venture out and try everything on the local menus, so I don't duplicate orders very often... Unfortunately they didn't have any new stouts on the menu to enjoy on International Stout Day, so I had to make due! They take their Angry Betty (Oatmeal Stout) and cut the batch with 10 gallons of Dagger Mountain Espresso blend, then serve it on a nitro tap to give it a cappuccino feel. Pretty cool backstory to a better than average coffee stout.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Changed up our usual Thursday routine at Crown Brewing and hit up the other local brewery, Off Square Brewing. They were tapping a recent collab with the local apple orchard/pumpkin patch that makes insanely good cinnamon donuts and we had to have a taste:

Donut Worry, Be Happy - 6.3% ABV Cream Ale - Off Square Brewing ~ Pretty tasty, but way too light to enjoy it properly IMO. When the brewmaster stopped at our table, I told him to find a way to put the same donut ingredients into a stout and then barrel age it.
    Beet Cancer - 7.4% ABV American IPA - Off Square Brewing ~ Super interesting combo of fresh local hops and beets... Floral and light with an earthy taste to it. % of proceeds also go to support cancer research.
    Bold Betty - 6.1% Coffee Stout - Off Square Brewing ~ I ALWAYS make it a point to venture out and try everything on the local menus, so I don't duplicate orders very often... Unfortunately they didn't have any new stouts on the menu to enjoy on International Stout Day, so I had to make due! They take their Angry Betty (Oatmeal Stout) and cut the batch with 10 gallons of Dagger Mountain Espresso blend, then serve it on a nitro tap to give it a cappuccino feel. Pretty cool backstory to a better than average coffee stout.
    Good stuff. Fun beer names.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Westmalle, a world classic. Haven't had one in years.

In the OPK family photo of 4 lambics, please identify #3 as you move from L to R in the photo as I look at it on my laptop.

BTW, I've never seen/heard of a lime lambic. That looks fascinating and I'd greatly appreciate your review of that one in particular. The Peche and Kriek would be nice to read about, too.

Day late and dollar short review from last PM.

Milk Stout-Duck Rabbit Craft Brewery

Best by 1/19 notched on label.

Simple but classic milk stout. Almost inky black, vigorous pour from a 12 ounce bottle from August West at last tailgate (Thanks!!) yielded a frothy, tan head that lingered quite a while. Nose of charred grains and dark chocolate. Mildly sweet initial sip from the lactose added, followed by a splash of coffee (not added) and dark caramel and semi-sweet chocolate (neither added). I'll guess IBUs of 40-50 (roasty, not bitter) and the ABV was 5.7%. Very nice finish to International Stout Day yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

In the OPK family photo of 4 lambics, please identify #3 as you move from L to R in the photo as I look at it on my laptop.

BTW, I've never seen/heard of a lime lambic. That looks fascinating and I'd greatly appreciate your review of that one in particular. The Peche and Kriek would be nice to read about, too.
    Cuvee Renee, never had it.

Don’t know for sure, I think the green is pomme, which is apple, not lime.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post

I really dislike beets. With a name and a cause like that, I’d gladly quaff at least one for the cause.

Hardywood Prim Looking Stargazer - a gin barrel aged mixed culture saison ale. Pours very clear, light foam head. Tastes like it looks, light and clean, crisp. 5% abc, no ibu’s listed but minimal hoppiness. Amarillo/Fuggie hops. This is a hot day, summer beer. No distinctive gin taste, maybe a slight aftertaste. Would pair this with something spicy since it’s so light and crisp. .Devildeac has a bottle of this from the Allagash trade, maybe a follow up review to come.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Cuvee Renee, never had it.

Don’t know for sure, I think the green is pomme, which is apple, not lime.
    Apple makes much more sense than lime. I saw what appears to be a green fruit on the label and got fooled.

But...

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Hardywood Prim Looking Stargazer - a gin barrel aged mixed culture saison ale. Pours very clear, light foam head. Tastes like it looks, light and clean, crisp. 5% abc, no ibu’s listed but minimal hoppiness. Amarillo/Fuggie hops. This is a hot day, summer beer. No distinctive gin taste, maybe a slight aftertaste. Would pair this with something spicy since it’s so light and crisp. .Devildeac has a bottle of this from the Allagash trade, maybe a follow up review to come.

I'm waiting to share that one. Perhaps later this month or during the Christmas/New Year holidays. I'm quite looking forward to it. The name and gin barrel aging really drove me to choose that one from your assortment.

image.jpg

Batchelorette number three is a Grand Cru Oude Geuze (Lambic blend) Cuvée René. A blend of one year old and three year old Lambics from near Belgium.

Drinking the Pomme (Apple) one now, will review the others likely tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    image.jpg

Batchelorette number three is a Grand Cru Oude Geuze (Lambic blend) Cuvée René. A blend of one year old and three year old Lambics from near Belgium.

Drinking the Pomme (Apple) one now, will review the others likely tomorrow.
    Thanks!

Your palate will be well-tuned for your trip to Belgium.

Home Grown-Victory Brewing Company

Dry-hopped lager.

This is the first 12 ounce can that's my share of the 15 pack bought to trade at the UVa tailgate.

A lager? Meh?

Not so fast, fella. Here's the ingredient list and then tell me what your hopes and expectations might be:

Malt: Pilsner, CaraPils

Hops: Centennial, Mosaic, Azacca, Cascade, Chinook, Citra

The only hops listed on the can are Azacca, Mosaic and Citra so my speculation was juicy and that was indeed correct. The pour was the typical yellow-straw with a moderate, creamy head. Pineapple, pear and apple scents from a lager? It can't be. But it was. Apples, pears, pineapples and melon tastes? Really? You betcha! There were no piney/resin-y flavors from the 3Cs, Centennial, Cascade and Chinook hops and rather mild bitterness, guess 30 IBUs and it was all fruity and juicy bitterness. Wait, is this a New England lager? Nah, just a very distinct brew from Victory. ABV was 4.8% so an excellent joint lubricant for a night on the dance floor . I'm not sure whether I'll keep or trade the twins of the remaining 4 varieties from the box.

From 11/23/13:

From August, 2011:

Golden Monkey-Victory Brewing

Victory's answer to Duvel. This is a triple style Belgian ale with a yellow, cloudy pour, a bit of white pepper on the palate and a bit of orange peel and coriander, too. IBU are low, guessing 20-30 and the ABV is 9.5%. Serve chilled in a goblet and enjoy with a fruity salsa topping on your chicken or lighter body seafood. I had not enjoyed one of these is a while and bought a 6er for trading purposes and was pleasantly surprised to sample one of these again.

This year's tasting was compliments of duketaylor who left a couple of these at the NCSU tailgate, I got to sip one of these again this week and greatly appreciated that opportunity. Not many different thoughts this year. When you find a winning recipe, keep brewing it. Thanks, Chuck!
    From last PM:

Golden Monkey-Victory Brewing Company

Wow, almost 5 years since I tasted one of these. This one was beer #2 from the mixed 15 pack I bought a couple weeks ago for sharing/trading purposes.

I don't think they changed the recipe much, if any, during this time, but why should they? The spiciness may have been a bit more prominent in this version but all the other characteristics were very similar. A very enjoyable nightcap.

Would it be wrong to start drinking Funky Buddha Good Vibin’ Lager around 7:00 pm tonight?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Would it be wrong to start drinking Funky Buddha Good Vibin’ Lager around 7:00 pm tonight?
    I'd start about 645 PM.

The hardywood gingerbread releases started today, ending with the complete set folks ordered due 12/14. Looks like 2 variants every Saturday.
    Today was the basic original gingerbread stout along with a new version “Christmas Pancakes” with maple added. I put a pancake bottle on ice and will try, maybe tonight, maybe to celebrate winning football

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    The hardywood gingerbread releases started today, ending with the complete set folks ordered due 12/14. Looks like 2 variants every Saturday.
    Today was the basic original gingerbread stout along with a new version “Christmas Pancakes” with maple added. I put a pancake bottle on ice and will try, maybe tonight, maybe to celebrate winning football
    Hope you're correct on that front.