Page 860 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 36076081085085885986086186287091096013601860 ... LastLast
Results 17,181 to 17,200 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I've decided to turn my upcoming work trip into a beer tour and plan to post pics of all the different brews I'll be trying over the coming weeks. Stops include west coast of Sweden, Toulouse, France(not sure if you can even buy beer in France without getting a dirty look), Frankfurt, Germany, Munich, Germany, Roskilde, Denmark, Copenhagen, Denmark.

Any suggestions for those stops greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot Amsterdam.

Not sure I have read wizard of id in a looong time.
    Great finds!

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I've decided to turn my upcoming work trip into a beer tour and plan to post pics of all the different brews I'll be trying over the coming weeks. Stops include west coast of Sweden, Toulouse, France(not sure if you can even buy beer in France without getting a dirty look), Frankfurt, Germany, Munich, Germany, Roskilde, Denmark, Copenhagen, Denmark.

When will you be traveling? Soon enough to catch Oktoberfest?

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    When will you be traveling? Soon enough to catch Oktoberfest?
    LOL. I was just about to send out an APB for your current location and place a STAT order for your reviews when I saw lefthook's requst for recommendations. Well done!

This should be a lot of fun reading over the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Not sure I have read wizard of id in a looong time.
    Great finds!
    We still have a subscription to the N&O (yes, we are old ) and very happy to renew, especially with Steve Wiseman now being a contributor here for Duke sports. Wonder if we can get Steve to read Ymm, Beer and start posting here, too .

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    LOL. I was just about to send out an APB for your current location and place a STAT order for your reviews when I saw lefthook's requst for recommendations. Well done!

This should be a lot of fun reading over the next few weeks.
    Fly out for Copenhagen this Saturday.Sweden next, touluse, france through the 19th, then the the german stops. Then back in Denmark in Roskilde for the last few days of October.

Twenty-Six Revolutions (draft)-Twenty-Six Acres (collaboration with Bottle Revolution, Apex, NC) Brewing

$3 for a half pint after work today.

All the goodies you'd expect in/from a NEIPA: Hazy, yellow color with a modest, foamy head. Pineapple-grapefruit flavors with some rind and core with mild tropical bitterness. Estimated IBUs of 40 and the ABV was 6.2%. Would taste again and/or pair with any sweet and sour dishes.

Rev That A** Up (draft)-A** Clown Brewing

"Drink one, don't be one"

Drink sorta regional (Cornelius, NC).

Couldn't resist the name, style or a free taster .

It's an imperial milk stout brewed with cold press coffee and aged on toasted coconut. Pour was almost black with a small, tan head. Pretty heavy java on the nose followed by more java, semi-sweet dark chocolate, hints of coconut and dark caramel. IBUs estimated at 40 and the ABV was 9.7%. I shoulda had a taste of the NEIPA first and bought a half pint of this for $3.50. An excellent brew that would stand alone nicely or pair with any chocolate and/or caramel dessert.

2XSmash (on bottom of can-DOB 09/12/18)-Southern Tier Brewing

One of 5 traders from August West last weekend, this is a single hop (Mosaic) and single malt (Special Pale) IIPA. What a gem! Thanks!!

Pour from the 12 ounce can was a light gold-amber with a generous, foamy head which lingered nicely. Pineapple and passion fruit aromas followed by the same tastes with some guava and mango. Very pleasant rindy, pithy bitterness with hints of a honey finish. No IBU stats so I'll guess 60. ABV is 8.1%. I'd pair with a curry or mild to moderately spicy Asian entree. For someone (anyone) who has tired of IPAs/IIPAs, this is quite refreshing/redeeming and I wouldn't hesitate buying a 6er of this for myself with the intent to sip a few and trade a few, too.

Fly out for Copenhagen this Saturday.Sweden next, touluse, france through the 19th, then the the german stops. Then back in Denmark in Roskilde for the last few days of October.
    Alright, I'll try my best to provide some insight.

Copenhagen - I was here two years ago, so my memory may be a bit fuzzy. I had some good brews from Norrebro Bryghus. Just be aware that they once made a beer with urine... One I am quite familiar with is WarPigs/Mikkeller. They have partnered with 3 Floyd's and make some excellent brews. You should definitely check it out. If you got to the WarPigs brewpub, they have some decent BBQ as well.

Munich - Unfortunately you'll miss Oktoberfest. Truly a unique experience that I will post in detail about soon. I think the standard answer for Munich will be Hofbrauhaus. It's touristy, but worth checking out. Tao-House Munich. You'll find some variety here instead of the standard German beers. I would guess they have over 200 beers to choose from. The Keg Bar also offers some craft selection and American fare. I do recommend walking through the English Gardens and having a beer in there. Beautiful area.

Frankfurt - My knowledge on Frankfurt is slim. I've only ever spent one night in the actual city. I do have a friend who lives in the city. Naiv is a nice spot with a large selection, but it can be a bit pricey. It's really the only one I can speak to. You should find this article helpful, though - https://www.meganstarr.com/craft-beer-frankfurt/

I have never traveled in France, so I can't speak to it. Hope this helps for your other stops!

I’ve only been in the Frankfurt airport as a stopover. The Goethe bar has an exceptionally crisp and refreshing pils.

Waiting on a report from duketaylor about a friend's Wisconsin trip...

While I strongly suspect he will not take it, attempted a friendly wager with Joe Ovies today over social media.

Joe suggested the Canes would go 81-0-1.
    I offered to buy him the local craft beer of his choice if he were correct, or if he lost the wager, to post a beer review on Ymm, Beer on DBR.

Well, I took my shot

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    While I strongly suspect he will not take it, attempted a friendly wager with Joe Ovies today over social media.

Joe suggested the Canes would go 81-0-1.
    I offered to buy him the local craft beer of his choice if he were correct, or if he lost the wager, to post a beer review on Ymm, Beer on DBR.

Well, I took my shot
    Now, if it involved a pie...

(nice try, BTW )

Bear Necessities Double NEIPA

This is one of a backlog of good new beers ("new" to me, anyway) that I have had recently but haven't had time to review. It is a collaboration between Lowes Foods and Charlotte's Birdsong Brewing. Sixteen-ounce cans are being distributed in four-packs at Lowes Foods beer dens (hence the "bear" reference in the name, I suppose). According to my sources on the Interwebz, it is "brewed with oats, flaked wheat, Idaho 7, El Dorado and Cascade hops, [and] clocks in at 8.5% ABV and 54 IBU."

I liked it, quite a lot. It is more "pine" than "citrus," but has good balance. Worth seeking out.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Bear Necessities Double NEIPA

This is one of a backlog of good new beers ("new" to me, anyway) that I have had recently but haven't had time to review. It is a collaboration between Lowes Foods and Charlotte's Birdsong Brewing. Sixteen-ounce cans are being distributed in four-packs at Lowes Foods beer dens (hence the "bear" reference in the name, I suppose). According to my sources on the Interwebz, it is "brewed with oats, flaked wheat, Idaho 7, El Dorado and Cascade hops, [and] clocks in at 8.5% ABV and 54 IBU."

I liked it, quite a lot. It is more "pine" than "citrus," but has good balance. Worth seeking out.
    I saw that at Bottle Rev yesterday with the Lowes Foods on the can and thought WTH? With that blend of grains and hops, I'd also expect a fairly well-balanced brew.

I saw that at Bottle Rev yesterday with the Lowes Foods on the can and thought WTH? With that blend of grains and hops, I'd also expect a fairly well-balanced brew.
    One must scan the label pretty closely to see the Birdsong connection/reference.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

From 8/21/16:

Tangier-Southern Tier Brewing Company

WTH? A session IPA? From Southern Tier? Must be a mistake?!?!

Nope. A non-extreme beer from the brewers of Choklat, Choklat Oranj, Mokah and Creme Brulee. To be fair, they brew a lot of session, seasonal and standard brews so I was happy to see this as a single in my 4 pack of beer-of-the-month club from a local package shop. Poured a slightly hazy orange with a citrus nose. Much like the Big Squeeze, I think I'd have preferred tangerine juice instead of peel, but there was a bit of citrusy sweetness coupled with a bit more than expected bitterness from 3 unnamed hops plus the rindiness. Four unnamed malts lend to a bit of caramel sweetness. No IBUs listed but I'll venture 40-50 and the ABV is sessionable as advertised/expected at 4.6%. I think it'd be tasty with some orange chicken, sweet and sour chicken/pork/shrimp or a fruity salsafied light seafood dish. Glad to taste but wouldn't buy a 6er.
    From tonight:

Tangier-Southern Tier Brewing Company

Happy to taste again as August West included 5 varieties from his 15 pack of traders from last weekend. Thanks!!

Very pleasant, light-bodied IPA to have with a large (shared) ribeye, some sauteed spinach and some roasted Yukon Gold potatoes tonight for a home-cooked meal. I thought about half a bomber of BBA People's Porter which would have made a nice pairing with the steak but it's about 80 degrees out and something lighter sounded/felt more appropriate.