Page 856 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 35675680684685485585685785886690695613561856 ... LastLast
Results 17,101 to 17,120 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

August West and I noted fuse's erudite beer reviews have been missing for a while. I know he's alive and well but AW suggested we start a vigil for his descriptive posts.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    August West and I noted fuse's erudite beer reviews have been missing for a while. I know he's alive and well but AW suggested we start a vigil for his descriptive posts.

In roughly 9 days my first foray with Whole 30 will be over. (For purposes of this thread, the oversimplification is no beer.)

You are not supposed to measure, I am down about 10 pounds. Who knew beer caused weight gain and didn’t tell me???? 😂

Clearly devildeac has better genes- I’m pretty sure he drinks a similar quantity of beer and yet is likely still at his high school weight class .

Beer reviews soon.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    In roughly 9 days my first foray with Whole 30 will be over. (For purposes of this thread, the oversimplification is no beer.)

You are not supposed to measure, I am down about 10 pounds. Who knew beer caused weight gain and didn’t tell me???? 😂

Clearly devildeac has better genes- I’m pretty sure he drinks a similar quantity of beer and yet is likely still at his high school weight class .

Beer reviews soon.
    Ten pounds is very impressive. Congrats!

I gained about 6-8 pounds last winter and examined my eating habits and decided the morning snack with a cup of black coffee, the extra cookie at lunch and the desserts and/or snacks during the evening with a beer or two (not three) were the culprits so I dramatically reduced or eliminated those indiscretions, walked an extra mile every day, cut out a couple beers each week and after that 2 months, the weight was gone.

I may weigh less now than I did in HS. I was a chubby kid then .

I'd agree that our beer consumption quantities are pretty comparable.

I still think AW's idea for a vigil was reasonable/amusing.

Let's see about yesterday's tailgate brews we sampled:

Hitting in the lead-off position was Bob Green who brought to the table:

Riddick's (sic) Red (growler)-Brick and Mortar Brewing

His local choice. Thank, Bob!

Pour was a reddish (not Cameron)-brown with a moderate off-white head. Lots of toffee and earthy aromas here. Tastes were on the money for the style, an Irish red ale, and they included some caramel/toffee and herbal hops. IBUs estimated to be 30 and the ABV on their website is 5.2% so it made a fine starter beer with wings, ABTs and foot long high quality weiners from Costco.

August West was in the on deck circle and followed Bob with:

Long Weekend (growler)-Mother Earth Brewing

CB&B reported this downtown Kinston brewery appeared unscathed by the flood waters of the Neuse River.

A fine choice by AW. Pour of this IPA (no fancy designation given) was a light yellow-gold with a foamy head. Initial aromas were pine and resin so the tastes of grapefruit, a bit of rind and maybe some peach and mango were quite pleasant and pleasing surprises. There were hints of pine but the tropical notes were the leaders. Another IBU guess here of about 50 and the ABV on the growler tag was 6.4% making this a fine pairing with the remainder of the meal, including salads, fries, onion rings, burgers and slaw.

Thanks, AW!

I singled weakly into right field from the 3rd spot in the batting order with:

King of Boggle (canned on 6/8/18)-Trophy Brewing

I've reviewed this before when it was fresher. Appearance and aromas from the pint can of this NEIPA were the same but tastes were a bit less fresh, not unsurprising. There was also a bit of sediment so the lesson learned again is drink your IPAs and IIPAs ASAP if you know their packaging dates. Nice pairing with the foodstuffs.

I'll work on my delivery/stroke/pitch, err, beer selection for the VT game.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    August West was in the on deck circle and followed Bob with:

Long Weekend (growler)-Mother Earth Brewing

CB&B reported this downtown Kinston brewery appeared unscathed by the flood waters of the Neuse River.

A fine choice by AW. Pour of this IPA (no fancy designation given) was a light yellow-gold with a foamy head. Initial aromas were pine and resin so the tastes of grapefruit, a bit of rind and maybe some peach and mango were quite pleasant and pleasing surprises. There were hints of pine but the tropical notes were the leaders. Another IBU guess here of about 50 and the ABV on the growler tag was 6.4% making this a fine pairing with the remainder of the meal, including salads, fries, onion rings, burgers and slaw.

Thanks, AW!
    I *think* Long Weekend is Mother Earth’s rebranded Oatmeal IPA.

I *think* Long Weekend is Mother Earth’s rebranded Oatmeal IPA.
    Sounds/reads/appears you are correct, sir. I heard AW discussing this with one of the tasters and I heard him mention Oatmeal IPA so now I understand.

http://www.motherearthbrewing.com/beer/oatmeal-ipa

Batting in the clean-up slot was son of accfanfrom1970 with his:

Blonde Hunny-Wild Wolf Brewing Company

His wife was actually a pretty brunette but the 12 ounce Blonde (ale) in a can he brought was a surprise attraction, too .

Poured a hazy, sunshine yellow with a moderate, foamy head. Floral and sweet nose with standard tastes for the style including orange from the malted wh*eat, some honey (or hunny) and a bit of spice (coriander?). IBUs at 21 so minimal bitterness with the ABV a bit higher than expected at 6.8%. Our meal was done so this was a palate-cleansing pre-dessert brew.

Thanks for sharing!

Continuing on with the heart of the order, accfanfrom1970 stepped to the plate, err, table with:

Blackberry Cobbler (pint can)-Hardywood Craft Brewery

He brought local to us!! Thanks!

This beer is not to be found on their website and fooled me, thinking it was last year's Virginia Blackberry witbier but it wasn't.

I didn't "study" the can for any stats/ingredients but the pour was a cloudy lavender (no chunks!) with a smallish, fizzy head. Pretty much all (who were still standing at this point) agreed that the aromas and tastes were pretty spot-on for a blackberry (blackbeery?) cobbler with grains and fruits prominent with a mild sweetness on the palate. I don't think any oats and/or lactose were added but the mouthfeel was smooth and silky and an almost milky/creamy flavor, too. I'll guess IBUs of 20 and the ABV was 6.8% so a cobbler in a glass.

I'd certainly buy a draft, single or 4 pack of this to sip, share and/or trade.

And, with the bases-clearing shot, batting in the 6th spot, is Mr. Merlindevildog91 with:

Pecan Pie Porter, Bourbon Barrel Aged (bomber)-Clown Shoes Brewing

No, Clown Shoes has nothing to do with the footwear from the bunch of lying, cheating, sneaker-selling vermin from down the road.

I didn't note on the label whether this was the 2017 version or was just released last month. No matter, it was best of show yesterday despite it having the appearance and consistency of Quaker State 10W-30 and being served during the middle of the afternoon in 85 degree heat .

Smelled like a liquid pecan, chocolate chip pie and the tastes that followed were as expected and did not disappoint. Mouthfeel was smooth and almost imperial stout-like. Very warming and boozey finish. No IBUs quoted but I'd venture 50ish with the ABV at a dangerous 10.5%. I'm happy there were 5 of us still conscious and able to sip at this point. Thanksgiving and/or Christmas dessert in a glass. I'd also consider pouring an ounce of this over two scoops of vanilla ice cream or going wild and making a beer float.

Many thanks for sharing!!

Rumors starting to swirl about a delivery from Asheville to the VT game this week...

Tis the season...to debate pumpkin beer.

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nati...rewing-elysian

I’ve had quite a few on the list, yet still a minority.

Let the dialog begin!

Tis the season...to debate pumpkin beer.

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nati...rewing-elysian

I’ve had quite a few on the list, yet still a minority.

Let the dialog begin!
    I'm not worthy. I've only tasted 5/21.

Looks like GABF 2018 winners are posted.

Looks like at least ten NC medals, including a gold for Crank Arm, and a gold for NoDa for Gordgeous.

AMB with a gold for lager!

https://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/the-competition/winners/

Looks like GABF 2018 winners are posted.

Looks like at least ten NC medals, including a gold for Crank Arm, and a gold for NoDa for Gordgeous, which somehow failed to make the top 21 pumpkin beers on the link above.

AMB with a gold for lager!

https://www.greatamericanbeerfestiva...ition/winners/
    Clarification.

Well

I'll be a waitin' for orders. He's expecting for plenty. Has room in his suv. Going to a Packers game with his daughter for her birthday present. I'm gonna get plenty of seasonals myself. Prolly more. Not sure what to get. We'll go from here!!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I'll be a waitin' for orders. He's expecting for plenty. Has room in his suv. Going to a Packers game with his daughter for her birthday present. I'm gonna get plenty of seasonals myself. Prolly more. Not sure what to get. We'll go from here!!
    Check your PM for a link to the New Glarus beer finder.

From last PM:

Peaches for Me (bottled on JUN0918)-Redhook Ale Brewery

Trader #1 from August West at tailgate. Thanks!

I don't think I've bought a Redhook in more than a decade but CB&B shared one with me last year when his art gallery opened and I was pleasantly surprised and pleased. I can easily say the same for this 12 ounce bottle.

Poured into a pint glass, the color was yellow-orange and pretty "clean." Very fruity nose which preceded tastes of peaches and mangoes (both added) along with some orange a grapefruit flavors with hints of rind-y/pithy bitterness. IBUs are 50 from Bravo, Citra and experimental HBC431 hops and the ABV is 6.7% on the label but "only" 6.5% at the brewery .

Tangelic Halo-Redhook Ale Brewery

Trader #2 from AW and another hearty thanks!

Think this might be a tangerine IPA? Indeed it is.

Appearance was medium orange with a hint of ruby. Smallish head with the expected tangerine aromas. Tastes matched nicely with a bit more zest than the peach/mango one above, also as expected. Faint citrus bite. I'll guess IBUs about 50 but no stats to be found anywhere for this. The ABV was 6.2%. A very drinkable fruited IPA that would pair nicely with sweet and sour dishes.