Page 847 of 950 FirstFirst ... 347747797837845846847848849857897947 ... LastLast
Results 16,921 to 16,940 of 18989

Thread: Ymm, Beer

  1. #16921
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN.
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Top 100 American pale wheat ales from beeradvocate:

    https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/93/

    How many ya tasted?
    I believe only 4 for me as well

  2. #16922
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I believe only 4 for me as well
    We're not worthy.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  3. #16923
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Road trip starts today. Revolution on the list. As of last PM, FFF does not have Dark Lord on draft as they did in mid-September after the Duke-NU game and before the Duke-ND game.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  4. #16924
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Safely in Columbus. Waiting for dinner to arrive. The beer is already chilled but it'll be "local" NC beer.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  5. #16925
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Redeemer (4-14-17)-Olde Hickory Brewing

    redeemer.jpg

    Our son is collecting NC beer bottle caps and having a difficult time doing so given the massive shift to canning. I happened upon this at the newest bottle shop in town a week ago and the owner offered me this bomber at no cost because of the dating. He also offered to pour it down the drain so I could have the cap but I said I was willing to take a "chance" drinking an almost 18 month old IIPA so we shared this tonight with a Greek salad. It was out-of-date but still potable. Every once in a while, you take one for the team/cause .

    Pour was a cloudy, orange-yellow with a moderate foamy head. There are no IBUs stated on the label or website but they claim it was their hoppiest IIPA to date when bottled and I'll believe them. It was indeed a hop monster and I'll guess 100 IBUs and perhaps even more than the 108 they quote for their Death by Hops. Strong nose of pine and resin with palate-searing tastes to match. There's some orange/citrus here, too but the hops are the clear winners. There is an attempt at balance as the ABV is 10% and it's rather boozy, too. I thought this might be a drain pour given the age but we both finished our 11 ounce portions. Not an ale I'd spend $10-15 on for a bomber but the owner will receive some more business soon based on his gifting last week.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  6. #16926
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Born to Funk-Wise Man Brewing

    For Tripping William.

    My first brew from Wise Man (not Steve Wiseman ). I'm impressed. Seriously impressed.

    Format: 500 ml bottle (shared with our son tonight after a long day of travel for us and a long day of work for him)

    Style: Brett IPA

    Cost: about $8 (after my 10% mixed 6er discount from the new guy/bottle shop in town)

    Stemware: snifters

    Appearance: slightly cloudy and straw-yellow

    Aromas: barnyard, funky, wet hay/straw

    Mouthfeel: tingly, smooth

    Tastes: follows the nose, along with some orange rind, pineapple and grapefruit pith with hints of light caramel

    IBU: 80

    ABV: 7.2%

    Ingredients: 6 strains of Brettanomyces yeast and "an all-star line-up of hops"

    Other impressions: This was a superb ale. Fresh Brett IPA? Yes, please. I may buy another of these and let it cellar for a year as Brett beers are good/interesting/delicious fresh but Stone brewed one a couple years ago that fuse brought me called Best After xx/xx/xx and I resisted for about 366 days before imbibing and found it to be wonderful.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  7. #16927
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN.
    Friend of mine just bought us tickets for the ‘Rhinegeist Rare Beer Event’

    http://www.rhinegeist.com/rarebeerfest/

  8. #16928
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Friend of mine just bought us tickets for the ‘Rhinegeist Rare Beer Event’

    http://www.rhinegeist.com/rarebeerfest/
    Impressive list of breweries. We'll look forward to your tastings.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  9. #16929
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Born to Funk-Wise Man Brewing

    For Tripping William.

    My first brew from Wise Man (not Steve Wiseman ). I'm impressed. Seriously impressed.

    Format: 500 ml bottle (shared with our son tonight after a long day of travel for us and a long day of work for him)

    Style: Brett IPA

    Cost: about $8 (after my 10% mixed 6er discount from the new guy/bottle shop in town)

    Stemware: snifters

    Appearance: slightly cloudy and straw-yellow

    Aromas: barnyard, funky, wet hay/straw

    Mouthfeel: tingly, smooth

    Tastes: follows the nose, along with some orange rind, pineapple and grapefruit pith with hints of light caramel

    IBU: 80

    ABV: 7.2%

    Ingredients: 6 strains of Brettanomyces yeast and "an all-star line-up of hops"

    Other impressions: This was a superb ale. Fresh Brett IPA? Yes, please. I may buy another of these and let it cellar for a year as Brett beers are good/interesting/delicious fresh but Stone brewed one a couple years ago that fuse brought me called Best After xx/xx/xx and I resisted for about 366 days before imbibing and found it to be wonderful.
    Much appreciated. Glad you enjoyed, because I have really, really liked what Wise Man has been putting out. I haven't had this particular beer, but it may prompt me to make a return visit. Getting over to Incendiary is higher on my list, though.

    Safe travels!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  10. #16930
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Richmond & Montross, VA

    Some Beers

    Here are some beers I enjoy that I've not seen in my scan (this sucker is 847 posts long!!) of this thread:

    Stone Xocoveza Imperial Stout. Taste profile: coffee, cocoa (it's a mocha stout), cinnamon. Features English Challenger and East Kent Golding Hops. Generally brewed seasonally, but I'm finding it more broadly now.

    Stone Bourbon Barrel Xocoveza Imperial Stout. Much as the Stone offering above, except that it's aged in bourbon barrels and, thus, has some additional notes in the flavor profile.

    Blue Mountain Dark Hollow Imperial Stout. Taste profile: vanilla and, because it's been aged in bourbon barrels, bourbon. 10% alcohol by volume; 70 IBUs. I've got nothing on how it's hopped. Available year round.

    Blue Mountain Dark Hollow Reserve: Concealed Darkness. Same as the previous offering from Blue Mountain, save that it is aged twice as long and (as of my last knowledge) is available only at the brewery in Afton, Virginia, about 20 miles west of Charlottesvile, as I-64 approaches the base of the Blue Ridge. I've heard that the only bottle 1,400 cases a year.

    Broolyn Local 1 Belgian strong pale ale. Taste profile: light, fruity notes with a little cloves thrown in. Long finish for a light beer. Brewed with German malts and hops and Belgian yeast. 9% alcohol by volume. The brewery claims to employ a process of 100% bottle re-fermentation, which process no longer is used much even in Europe, to deepen the beer's palate.

    A lagniappe:

    Before developing an interest in porters and stouts a few years back, I made a beef stew with Guinness. Since then, I've tried substituting better porters and stouts for the Guiness and found that the Stone Bourbon Barrel Xocoveza takes the stew to its best level yet. Below is the recipe if you want to give it a whirl. It's not overly complicated. In any event, I always use the carrots to make this stew but will add other veggies (wild mushrooms, new potatoes, etc.) that are in season.

    Guiness Stew

    2 lbs lean stewing beef

    3 tablespoons oil

    2 tablespoons flour

    salt, freshly ground pepper and cayenne

    2 large onions, coarsely chopped

    1 large clove garlic, crushed (optional)

    2 T tomato puree, dissolved in 4 T water

    1 ¼ cups Guinness

    2 cups carrots, cut into chunks

    sprig of thyme


    (a) Trim the meat of any fat or gristle, cut into cubes of 2 inches (5cm) and toss them in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil. Season the flour with salt, freshly ground pepper and a pinch or two of cayenne. Toss the meat in the mixture. Heat the remaining oil in a wide frying pan over a high heat. Brown the meat on all sides.

    (b) Add the onions, crushed garlic and tomato puree to the pan, cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes.

    (c) Transfer the contents of the pan to a casserole, and pour some of the Guinness into the frying pan. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan. Pour onto the meat with the remaining Guinness; add the carrots and the thyme. Stir, taste, and add a little more salt if necessary. Cover with the lid of the casserole and simmer very gently until the meat is tender - 2 to 3 hours.

    (d) Scatter with lots of chopped parsley. Serve.

  11. #16931
    Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post

    Moral of the story, catch a Sox game when you're in town. If not for the sub-par baseball, at least go for the beer.
    Hey! That’s the Padres slogan. Off our block, kid.

  12. #16932
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by UVa1981 View Post
    Here are some beers I enjoy that I've not seen in my scan (this sucker is 847 posts long!!) of this thread:

    Stone Xocoveza Imperial Stout. Taste profile: coffee, cocoa (it's a mocha stout), cinnamon. Features English Challenger and East Kent Golding Hops. Generally brewed seasonally, but I'm finding it more broadly now.

    Stone Bourbon Barrel Xocoveza Imperial Stout. Much as the Stone offering above, except that it's aged in bourbon barrels and, thus, has some additional notes in the flavor profile.

    Blue Mountain Dark Hollow Imperial Stout. Taste profile: vanilla and, because it's been aged in bourbon barrels, bourbon. 10% alcohol by volume; 70 IBUs. I've got nothing on how it's hopped. Available year round.

    Blue Mountain Dark Hollow Reserve: Concealed Darkness. Same as the previous offering from Blue Mountain, save that it is aged twice as long and (as of my last knowledge) is available only at the brewery in Afton, Virginia, about 20 miles west of Charlottesvile, as I-64 approaches the base of the Blue Ridge. I've heard that the only bottle 1,400 cases a year.

    Broolyn Local 1 Belgian strong pale ale. Taste profile: light, fruity notes with a little cloves thrown in. Long finish for a light beer. Brewed with German malts and hops and Belgian yeast. 9% alcohol by volume. The brewery claims to employ a process of 100% bottle re-fermentation, which process no longer is used much even in Europe, to deepen the beer's palate.

    A lagniappe:

    Before developing an interest in porters and stouts a few years back, I made a beef stew with Guinness. Since then, I've tried substituting better porters and stouts for the Guiness and found that the Stone Bourbon Barrel Xocoveza takes the stew to its best level yet. Below is the recipe if you want to give it a whirl. It's not overly complicated. In any event, I always use the carrots to make this stew but will add other veggies (wild mushrooms, new potatoes, etc.) that are in season.

    Guiness Stew

    2 lbs lean stewing beef

    3 tablespoons oil

    2 tablespoons flour

    salt, freshly ground pepper and cayenne

    2 large onions, coarsely chopped

    1 large clove garlic, crushed (optional)

    2 T tomato puree, dissolved in 4 T water

    1 ¼ cups Guinness

    2 cups carrots, cut into chunks

    sprig of thyme


    (a) Trim the meat of any fat or gristle, cut into cubes of 2 inches (5cm) and toss them in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil. Season the flour with salt, freshly ground pepper and a pinch or two of cayenne. Toss the meat in the mixture. Heat the remaining oil in a wide frying pan over a high heat. Brown the meat on all sides.

    (b) Add the onions, crushed garlic and tomato puree to the pan, cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes.

    (c) Transfer the contents of the pan to a casserole, and pour some of the Guinness into the frying pan. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan. Pour onto the meat with the remaining Guinness; add the carrots and the thyme. Stir, taste, and add a little more salt if necessary. Cover with the lid of the casserole and simmer very gently until the meat is tender - 2 to 3 hours.

    (d) Scatter with lots of chopped parsley. Serve.
    Thanks for joining the conversation. Actually, this thing is 847 pages long, with more than 16,000 posts. That's a lot of beer!

    Blue Mountain is one of my absolute go-to breweries when I visit C'ville. Their pizzas are almost as good as the beer.

    The recipe sounds delicious; I'll have to give it a try.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  13. #16933
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Richmond & Montross, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Thanks for joining the conversation. Actually, this thing is 847 pages long, with more than 16,000 posts. That's a lot of beer!
    Yikes. You guys love your beer.

  14. #16934
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by UVa1981 View Post
    Yikes. You guys love your beer.
    Yes. Although, in fairness, it has taken just short of 11 years for all of these posts to accumulate. And, in classic DBR fashion, I'd bet 25% of them are puns.
    Last edited by Tripping William; 09-06-2018 at 02:24 PM.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  15. #16935
    Isn't this puns for fun?😂

  16. #16936
    Quote Originally Posted by UVa1981 View Post
    Here are some beers I enjoy that I've not seen in my scan (this sucker is 847 posts long!!) of this thread:

    Stone Xocoveza Imperial Stout. Taste profile: coffee, cocoa (it's a mocha stout), cinnamon. Features English Challenger and East Kent Golding Hops. Generally brewed seasonally, but I'm finding it more broadly now.

    Stone Bourbon Barrel Xocoveza Imperial Stout. Much as the Stone offering above, except that it's aged in bourbon barrels and, thus, has some additional notes in the flavor profile.

    Blue Mountain Dark Hollow Imperial Stout. Taste profile: vanilla and, because it's been aged in bourbon barrels, bourbon. 10% alcohol by volume; 70 IBUs. I've got nothing on how it's hopped. Available year round.

    Blue Mountain Dark Hollow Reserve: Concealed Darkness. Same as the previous offering from Blue Mountain, save that it is aged twice as long and (as of my last knowledge) is available only at the brewery in Afton, Virginia, about 20 miles west of Charlottesvile, as I-64 approaches the base of the Blue Ridge. I've heard that the only bottle 1,400 cases a year.

    Broolyn Local 1 Belgian strong pale ale. Taste profile: light, fruity notes with a little cloves thrown in. Long finish for a light beer. Brewed with German malts and hops and Belgian yeast. 9% alcohol by volume. The brewery claims to employ a process of 100% bottle re-fermentation, which process no longer is used much even in Europe, to deepen the beer's palate.

    A lagniappe:

    Before developing an interest in porters and stouts a few years back, I made a beef stew with Guinness. Since then, I've tried substituting better porters and stouts for the Guiness and found that the Stone Bourbon Barrel Xocoveza takes the stew to its best level yet. Below is the recipe if you want to give it a whirl. It's not overly complicated. In any event, I always use the carrots to make this stew but will add other veggies (wild mushrooms, new potatoes, etc.) that are in season.

    Guiness Stew

    2 lbs lean stewing beef

    3 tablespoons oil

    2 tablespoons flour

    salt, freshly ground pepper and cayenne

    2 large onions, coarsely chopped

    1 large clove garlic, crushed (optional)

    2 T tomato puree, dissolved in 4 T water

    1 ¼ cups Guinness

    2 cups carrots, cut into chunks

    sprig of thyme


    (a) Trim the meat of any fat or gristle, cut into cubes of 2 inches (5cm) and toss them in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil. Season the flour with salt, freshly ground pepper and a pinch or two of cayenne. Toss the meat in the mixture. Heat the remaining oil in a wide frying pan over a high heat. Brown the meat on all sides.

    (b) Add the onions, crushed garlic and tomato puree to the pan, cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes.

    (c) Transfer the contents of the pan to a casserole, and pour some of the Guinness into the frying pan. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan. Pour onto the meat with the remaining Guinness; add the carrots and the thyme. Stir, taste, and add a little more salt if necessary. Cover with the lid of the casserole and simmer very gently until the meat is tender - 2 to 3 hours.

    (d) Scatter with lots of chopped parsley. Serve.
    Great post, thanks for sharing.

    I’ve definitely enjoyed a few Brooklyn Local #1s (and 2s), and had Xocoveza and Dark Hollow once or twice. Great beers.

    If you like stouts, certainly the Bruery makes some pretty spectacular ones. Might not be available in your area, Mother Earth releases a bourbon barrel aged stout every December called Silent Night that I look forward to every year.

    If you like coffee porters, Fullsteam Coffee is for Closers, Booneshine’s Hatchet Porter and Raleigh Brewing Company’s Hidden Pipe Porter are all excellent.

    Cheers!

  17. #16937
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Yes. Although, in fairness, it has taken just short of 11 years for all of these posts to accumulate. And, in classic DBR fashion, I'd bet 25% of them are puns.
    I guess that would make Ymm, Beer 25% APV (average pun volume). That’s pretty stout, indeed.
    And not legal in North Carolina

  18. #16938
    https://coolmaterial.com/food-drink/best-beer-logos/

    I beg to differ. I do like one in particular.

  19. #16939
    https://www.eater.com/drinks/2016/7/...lager-pale-ale

    Starts out as an amusing read that transforms into a list of beers I’d like to try.

  20. #16940
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Richmond & Montross, VA

    Interesting Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    If you like coffee porters, Fullsteam Coffee is for Closers, Booneshine’s Hatchet Porter and Raleigh Brewing Company’s Hidden Pipe Porter are all excellent.
    I'll have to see if I can track some of these down and give them a whirl. Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Ycch, Beer!
    By DevilAlumna in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 02-24-2019, 12:38 PM
  2. Who would you most want to have a beer with?
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 12:22 PM
  3. Beer League
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 09:43 AM
  4. Beer Question of Yore
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 04:07 PM
  5. Best Beer Commerical Ever!!
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 04:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •