Page 846 of 948 FirstFirst ... 346746796836844845846847848856896946 ... LastLast
Results 16,901 to 16,920 of 18956

Thread: Ymm, Beer

  1. #16901
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    1888 Pils-Saranac/FX Matt Brewing

    Beer #2 from a trading session with August West and his fall 12 pack of mixed Saranac/FX Matt brews. Thanks!

    Poured a light amber color from a 12 ounce bottle with a medium, off-white head. Bready, floral nose. Mildly sweet, light caramel tastes followed by slight flowery and herbal flavors. IBUs 30 and ABV was 5.3%. More of an old-style American pilsner as I think of the European style as a bit lighter and more delicate. Would pair well with cold cut sandwiches or burgers and chicken off the grill.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  2. #16902
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    1888 Pils-Saranac/FX Matt Brewing

    Beer #2 from a trading session with August West and his fall 12 pack of mixed Saranac/FX Matt brews. Thanks!

    Poured a light amber color from a 12 ounce bottle with a medium, off-white head. Bready, floral nose. Mildly sweet, light caramel tastes followed by slight flowery and herbal flavors. IBUs 30 and ABV was 5.3%. More of an old-style American pilsner as I think of the European style as a bit lighter and more delicate. Would pair well with cold cut sandwiches or burgers and chicken off the grill.
    I would think 30 IBUs would take it out of the old style American pilsner range....(but it seems you are more of a connoisseur than I on beer).
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  3. #16903
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I would think 30 IBUs would take it out of the old style American pilsner range...(but it seems you are more of a connoisseur than I on beer).
    Actually, there's a lot of overlap among the 3 BJCP guidelines when listing the IBU and ABV:

    https://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category2.php

    Perhaps I should have used the word "traditional" or "typical" instead of "old" describing the American style.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  4. #16904
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Va

    Have a few new beers to review

    but not time tonight. Anyone tried Larry's Lemonade? Tried that at OBX this week, very interesting, for sure.

  5. #16905
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Farmer Ted-Catawba Brewing Company

    Drink local!

    Twelve ounce can trader with our older son-in-law before a grilled feast at friends' mountain home.

    Story: "Farmer Tedís Cream Ale is an indigenous American beer style created as an answer to post-prohibition German lagers."

    Stat sheet:

    HOPS: Magnum / Mt Hood

    MALT: Pale / Flaked Corn

    ABV : 6%

    IBU: 7

    Impressions/observations: Pale yellow pour with a thin, fizzy head. Aromas of corn syrup (D'oh!) and flowers. Smooth mouthfeel with tastes of Karo syrup, toasted white bread and flowers. I could almost taste the cream (). Nice starter beer with conversation and fellowship among friends and family. Certainly worth a taste/can/draft but wouldn't buy a 6er.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  6. #16906
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    but not time tonight. Anyone tried Larry's Lemonade? Tried that at OBX this week, very interesting, for sure.
    Not I.

    Interesting photo from their website:

    http://thelarryslemonade.com/

    (safe for young eyes-sort of)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  7. #16907
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Farmer Ted-Catawba Brewing Company

    Drink local!

    Twelve ounce can trader with our older son-in-law before a grilled feast at friends' mountain home.

    Story: "Farmer Tedís Cream Ale is an indigenous American beer style created as an answer to post-prohibition German lagers."

    Stat sheet:

    HOPS: Magnum / Mt Hood

    MALT: Pale / Flaked Corn

    ABV : 6%

    IBU: 7

    Impressions/observations: Pale yellow pour with a thin, fizzy head. Aromas of corn syrup (D'oh!) and flowers. Smooth mouthfeel with tastes of Karo syrup, toasted white bread and flowers. I could almost taste the cream (). Nice starter beer with conversation and fellowship among friends and family. Certainly worth a taste/can/draft but wouldn't buy a 6er.
    My first intro to Catawba, 5-6 years ago.
    Decidely meh and I have not sought out any Catawba beer since.

  8. #16908
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Greybeard-Pisgah Brewing Company

    Greybeard, the IPA, not the Greybeard-endorsed Feldenkrais Method

    Drink more local!

    Poured from a 12 ounce can into an inverted nonic pint glass. Color was orange-yellow with a creamy, off-white head. Mixed aromas of citrus, tropical and pine with different tastes of peach, apricot, a bit of grapefruit and some resin, likely from the Chinook and Nugget hops. IBUs are 68 and ABV was 6.8% (website) or 6.9% (can). Nicely balanced IPA. Paired nicely with grilled chicken, pork chops and burgers. Traded 3 with older son-in-law for the Farmer Ted reviewed above, a Mother Earth Berliner Weisse and a Southern Range Blood Orange Wheat. I have 2 left, one of which should make it to the NCCU tailgate as a trader and the other likely to Ohio or Chicago this week.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  9. #16909
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    My first intro to Catawba, 5-6 years ago.
    Decidely meh and I have not sought out any Catawba beer since.
    You apparently didn't taste enough cream.

    I've had 5 others:

    Peanut Butter Jelly Time-an interesting/fun novelty beer. One was enough.

    Hopness Monster-not a bad IPA. Haven't revisited.

    White Zombie (draft sample)-a refreshing wheat beer.

    Sour Zombie (draft, Jack Daniels barrel-aged)-An excellent BA sour.

    Hooligan (draft, BBA)-an outstanding barrel-aged Scotch ale and especially dangerous at about 13.5% ABV.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  10. #16910
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Black Forest-Saranac/FX Matt Brewing Company

    Trader #3 from Friday night from August West, this one a black lager, aka Schwarzbier. Thanks!

    This pour from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass was a medium brown and relatively clear and had a one finger head that lingered to the bottom of the glass. Smelled like toasted pumpernickel bread with tastes of the same, some dark caramel, hints of milk chocolate and minimally bitter, herbal/earthy hops. Pleasant bier to receive as a trader and would pair nicely with various grilled wursts, some Wiener schnitzel or some St. Louis or Memphis ribs, keeping both sides of the Atlantic happy.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  11. #16911
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Beer name of the day?

    Hopsequences-Southern Range Brewing Company
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  12. #16912
    Its on long weekends like this with no plans where I miss having Fullsteam Coffee is for Closers or Booneshine Hatchet Coffee Porter in the fridge to start the day.

  13. #16913
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Solid Gold (3-5-18)-Founders (Mahou-San Miguel) Brewing

    Six pack of porch pounders for $7. Not a bad deal, even though I waited about a month before selecting from the newest bottle shop in the area.

    Poured from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass and, to no one's surprise, the color was a clear, light gold (D'oh!). Small, creamy white head with a rim left now about halfway through my serving. Similar aromas to the Saranac/Matt 1888 Pils with a bit more flavor and body. There's some corn syrup, a bit of whole grain toast/cereal and a bit of floral bitterness. IBUs are 20 and the ABV is 4.4% and made a very refreshing post-lawn mowing and summer walk thirst quencher. A couple should make the trip to Columbus and Chicago this week as hosting gifts with another 1 or two ferried to the NCCU tailgate.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  14. #16914
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Solid Gold
    Am I the only one who used to watch that show?

    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  15. #16915
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Am I the only one who used to watch that show?

    I'm a Believer, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  16. #16916
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem

    Southern Pines Brewing

    Even though Incendiary Brewing opened this weekend in W-S, my tasting room visit was to SoPines. Odd location, in an off-the-beaten-path business park. Decent interior space. Below is what I tasted, all of which had a bit of bitter aftertaste. But the crowler of Vitamin Sea was a good post-round beverage.

    D3211379-CA50-4D07-A6A9-5D29622BAC00.jpg
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  17. #16917
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Blood Orange Wheat-Southern Range Brewing Company

    Drink sort of local!

    Pint can that I received form our older son-in-law as a trader for one of my Pisgah Greybeard IPAs.

    Pour was a pale straw color with no head . Nose was a weak, orange Juicy Juice aroma. Mouthfeel was rather thin but with a rather prominent orange zest and floral flavors. They list no IBUs on their website and none are marked on the can but I can't believe the entire grain bill is wh*at so I'll ASSume they used *some* hops in brewing this witbier and guess the IBUs about 20. ABV is quoted from the can and website as 5.3%. This would make a nice pairing with some almond/orange chicken or shrimp. I haven't had Raleigh Brewing Company's First Squeeze in several year but I think that one was better. This one was worth a trader to sample a beer from Monroe, NC's first brewery but don't think I'd re-visit.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  18. #16918
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Top 100 American pale wheat ales from beeradvocate:

    https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/93/

    How many ya tasted?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  19. #16919
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Top 100 American pale wheat ales from beeradvocate:

    https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/93/

    How many ya tasted?
    Only four, including the number 3 and 4 in category.

    Not a category I feel especially disappointed in myself for not having had more. Reasonably certain Iíve probably not been in proximity to even ten on the list.

  20. #16920
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Top 100 American pale wheat ales from beeradvocate:

    https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/93/

    How many ya tasted?
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Only four, including the number 3 and 4 in category.

    Not a category I feel especially disappointed in myself for not having had more. Reasonably certain Iíve probably not been in proximity to even ten on the list.
    Five for me, maybe only four. I haven't heard of many of those breweries .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Similar Threads

  1. Ycch, Beer!
    By DevilAlumna in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 02-24-2019, 12:38 PM
  2. Who would you most want to have a beer with?
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 12:22 PM
  3. Beer League
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 09:43 AM
  4. Beer Question of Yore
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 04:07 PM
  5. Best Beer Commerical Ever!!
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 04:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •