Page 833 of 1000 FirstFirst ... 333733783823831832833834835843883933 ... LastLast
Results 16,641 to 16,660 of 19993

Thread: Ymm, Beer

  1. #16641
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Maine Brewing Company

    MBC holds a special place in my heart, as few breweries do.

    MBC Lunch is one of those perfect beers.

    Great frothy head, deep brassy gold in colour.

    Piney nose, and while being bitter, there is still a harmonious balance of malty sweetness.

    This is a desert island beer.

    Being hard to get hold of, even with MBC now distributing to NC, a tip of the cap with a great flourish, to devildeac. Thank you, kind sir.

    Cheers!
    Lunch-Maine Beer Company

    Another disappointment for me. My fault as this is another beer I likely should have sipped 6 weeks ago.

    A shared 500 ml bottle tonight ($10ish) with our son poured a hazy, straw-amber color with a foamy head. Stone fruits and pine at first sniff, followed by some resin, peach and grapefruit on the palate. I'll guess IBUs about 60 based on the style (IPA) with ABV at 7%. Their recommendations on the label of "hoppy beers do not age well" and "best enjoyed within 90 days of date stamped on label (5/8/18)" should have been heeded better. This is their flagship beer and I remember better on draft from the brewery visit and transported/smuggled/imported case of 500 ml bottles 4 years ago.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  2. #16642
    devildeac, re MBC, you are breaking my heart.

    My memory says some of the best most delicate beer I have ever had.

    Subtle, nuanced, delightful.

  3. #16643
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    devildeac, re MBC, you are breaking my heart.

    My memory says some of the best most delicate beer I have ever had.

    Subtle, nuanced, delightful.
    I remember my flight at the brewery and subsequent purchases of 12-500 ml bottles and delivery to you from August, 2014 and have the same wonderful memories. I have 2 more 500 ml bottles (not Lunch or A Tiny Little Something) that have July bottling dates on them, IIRC, so I may consume them this weekend while fresh and hopefully have better reports.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  4. #16644
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    In the same vein, I believe I saw that Unknown is releasing this yearís edition of Bright [Wanker] Tank Top soon. Ymmmmm ...
    Stella Brew posted that it has cans of Bright [Wanker] Tank Top, aged in rum barrels. I might not be taking the shortest route home . . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  5. #16645
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Stella Brew posted that it has cans of Bright [Wanker] Tank Top, aged in rum barrels. I might not be taking the shortest route home . . . . .
    Beer detour .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  6. #16646
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Stella Brew posted that it has cans of Bright [Wanker] Tank Top, aged in rum barrels. I might not be taking the shortest route home . . . . .
    I could swear Iíve had this beer, but thread search only turned up your references to it.

    Reads like an amazing beverage.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:13)
    ...be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. (James 1:19)

  7. #16647
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Peach Tripel-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

    Hardywood spotting and purchase in NC! Thanks fuse!

    (No worries to/for accfanfrom 1970-I'm still good for the Curieux-Hardywood trades next month or any other other Hardywood Pilot or Barrel Series that you might bring. .)

    500 ml bottles x2 from a recent trading session.

    Pour was a cloudy peach hue (D'oh!) into my cute, little Allagash tulip and my small Gouden Carolus chalice shared with our son last PM. Fairly generous and fizzy head with a thin coating of Belgian lace last through most of the sipping. Expected aromas of peaches (added) and maybe some oranges (not added). Mildly sweet, peachy tastes with a pinch of white pepper from the Belgian yeasts and some light brown sugar. The label claims apricots are added but I'm not sure I'd have claimed that. Very pleasing on the palate at 25 IBUs and dangerously sippable at 8.2% ABV which is a bit "thin" for the style. It's not a "cobbler" like Mamaw's Mean Cobbler but still a very refreshing dessert beer that would also pair with soft cheeses, sweet and sour chicken or shrimp or a fruit tart.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  8. #16648
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I could swear Iíve had this beer, but thread search only turned up your references to it.

    Reads like an amazing beverage.
    Well, this edition is delicious. Itís not margarita-like, as the Junkyard (Moorhead, MN) version is. Itís sour, but in a different way. Less lime, and perhaps a bit more boozy due to the rum-barrel aging. Itís hard to describe ó like trying to describe the taste of salt to someone who hasnít tasted it before ó but it is definitely worth tracking down. In the running for the best sour/gose I have tasted. Glad I have seven more 16-ounce cans ...
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  9. #16649
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Well, this edition is delicious. Itís not margarita-like, as the Junkyard (Moorhead, MN) version is. Itís sour, but in a different way. Less lime, and perhaps a bit more boozy due to the rum-barrel aging. Itís hard to describe ó like trying to describe the taste of salt to someone who hasnít tasted it before ó but it is definitely worth tracking down. In the running for the best sour/gose I have tasted. Glad I have seven more 16-ounce cans ...
    Hmm, attending any Duke FB tailgates this fall?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  10. #16650
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hmm, attending any Duke FB tailgates this fall?
    Wish I knew. Given the way the fall calendar is looking, it may literally be a "game-time" decision.

    In a similar vein, though, yesterday I also picked up a six-pack of Unknown's Pre-Game pilsner (not the session ale by the same name, which I have had before). Will be interested to try it.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  11. #16651
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem

    Article about W-S Craft Beer Scene

    An interesting Winston-Salem Journal article from this past Sunday about the W-S craft beer scene, its symbiotic relationship with the food-truck scene, and what the future might hold. Asheville gets a shout-out (even if its number of breweries is likely underestimated), and I suspect similar things are happening in other parts of NC.

    A good read.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  12. #16652
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    An interesting Winston-Salem Journal article from this past Sunday about the W-S craft beer scene, its symbiotic relationship with the food-truck scene, and what the future might hold. Asheville gets a shout-out (even if its number of breweries is likely underestimated), and I suspect similar things are happening in other parts of NC.

    A good read.
    I'll guess Asheville has >30 breweries in the "downtown" area but I'll let one of the residents clarify that.

    Durham is probably a good comparison to W-S with about 6 breweries in the downtown area and I'll guess an "active" food truck market. The breweries in the Raleigh area are scattered about town more but also with a burgeoning food truck scene.

    I've got some stats from end 2017 (IIRC) at home with # of breweries in the top 10-12 states with NC #8, just behind Oregon ().
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  13. #16653
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    An interesting Winston-Salem Journal article from this past Sunday about the W-S craft beer scene, its symbiotic relationship with the food-truck scene, and what the future might hold. Asheville gets a shout-out (even if its number of breweries is likely underestimated), and I suspect similar things are happening in other parts of NC.

    A good read.
    It is a good read, thanks for sharing.

    Iíd say the article is flawed with respect to fact checking.

    Highland and Foothills the #1 and #2 breweries by volume in the state?

    Even if I throw out Sierra Nevada, Oskar Blues, and New Belgium, I suspect Big Boss, Lone Rider and maybe even Aviator are cranking out way more beer than Foothills and Highland.

    I tried finding NC craft breweries by volume online to no avail.

    I also find it intriguing that Apex with 3 breweries has half as many as Winston-Salem. I would have guessed W-S would have easily had a dozen or more.

  14. #16654
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    It is a good read, thanks for sharing.

    I’d say the article is flawed with respect to fact checking.

    Highland and Foothills the #1 and #2 breweries by volume in the state?

    Even if I throw out Sierra Nevada, Oskar Blues, and New Belgium, I suspect Big Boss, Lone Rider and maybe even Aviator are cranking out way more beer than Foothills and Highland.

    I tried finding NC craft breweries by volume online to no avail.

    I also find it intriguing that Apex with 3 breweries has half as many as Winston-Salem. I would have guessed W-S would have easily had a dozen or more.
    I'd think RBC and NoDa might be top 5, too. I've also tried searches like the bolded above w/o success.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  15. #16655
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Asheville
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'll guess Asheville has >30 breweries in the "downtown" area but I'll let one of the residents clarify that.

    Durham is probably a good comparison to W-S with about 6 breweries in the downtown area and I'll guess an "active" food truck market. The breweries in the Raleigh area are scattered about town more but also with a burgeoning food truck scene.

    I've got some stats from end 2017 (IIRC) at home with # of breweries in the top 10-12 states with NC #8, just behind Oregon ().
    I've lost count. Went to a local favorite bar a coupe weeks ago to learn that they are brewing their own beer too, and it wasn't good. I prefer quality over quantity. I'm beginning to think that everyone here thinks they can be a brewer here. Sad.
    2015 DBR Rosterbation Champion

  16. #16656
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I've lost count. Went to a local favorite bar a coupe weeks ago to learn that they are brewing their own beer too, and it wasn't good. I prefer quality over quantity. I'm beginning to think that everyone here thinks they can be a brewer here. Sad.
    Have any closed in the last 6-12 months?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  17. #16657
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Asheville
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Have any closed in the last 6-12 months?
    I don't think so, but I could name a few that I wish would. Tourists that don't know any better will keep them open.
    2015 DBR Rosterbation Champion

  18. #16658
    [QUOTE=devildeac;1083763]Peach Tripel-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

    Hardywood spotting and purchase in NC! Thanks fuse!

    (No worries to/for accfanfrom 1970-I'm still good for the Curieux-Hardywood trades next month or any other other Hardywood Pilot or Barrel Series that you might bring. .)

    Oh I am bringing it. I have a grisette? Aged in gin barrels. Their imperial milk stout aged in brandy barrels. And their black berry cobbler. Plus, Ardent tells me they should their barrel aged honey ginger by the October uva game
    Last edited by accfanfrom1970; 08-10-2018 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

  19. #16659
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    [QUOTE=accfanfrom1970;1083942]
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Peach Tripel-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

    Hardywood spotting and purchase in NC! Thanks fuse!

    (No worries to/for accfanfrom 1970-I'm still good for the Curieux-Hardywood trades next month or any other other Hardywood Pilot or Barrel Series that you might bring. .)

    Oh I am bringing it. I have a grisette? Aged in gin barrels. Their imperial milk stout aged in brandy barrels. And their black berry cobbler. Plus, Ardent tells me they should their barrel aged honey ginger by the October uva game
    Ymm, (Hardywood) Beer.

    Thanks! They all sound great!

    I'm printing some extra $20 notes now. Just in case.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  20. #16660
    With their expansion/west creek brewery they are planning on delivering from Virginia to Atlanta. Should see a lot more from them your way.

Similar Threads

  1. Ycch, Beer!
    By DevilAlumna in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 02-24-2019, 12:38 PM
  2. Who would you most want to have a beer with?
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 12:22 PM
  3. Beer League
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 09:43 AM
  4. Beer Question of Yore
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 04:07 PM
  5. Best Beer Commerical Ever!!
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 04:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •