Page 818 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 31871876880881681781881982082886891813181818 ... LastLast
Results 16,341 to 16,360 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Same here. We need to get out more, though I don't think any of the remainder of those brews are available in our zip codes. Someone here posted they had tasted the Lagunitas Cherry Jane, IIRC. Luburch? Thedukelamere?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    43. Final Gravity Brewing Co. Sunspots
    City: Richmond, VA
    ABV: 7%
    The verdict: Final Gravity isn’t a brewery that any of us at Paste had sampled before, but after seeing their overall performance in this tasting, we’re all the more amazed by the sheer glut of amazing IPA breweries in Richmond—to have Triple Crossing, The Veil, The Answer, Final Gravity and even good ‘ole Stone in one city is nothing short of amazing, and that’s still leaving out plenty of others. Sunspots is hazy, but on the more subtle side of the spectrum, with citrus juiciness that is restrained and almost balanced by light maltiness that carries an unexpectedly toasted, slightly bready quality. Multiple tasters praised its easy-drinking demeanor, while one in particular was effusive: “Juicy, complex and well-made. Love everything about this.”

So Tony Ammendolia, the owner of this brewery, from whom I bought a one-barrel system, makes this list. awesome!!! He brews on the same system I have. Tiny brewery which has some excellent beers. I will secure some "Sunspots" for NC transport in the near future. Hope some of y'all can venture up here to visit said brewery
    I was hoping/wondering if any of our Richmond, VA neighbors had sampled any of those highly rated IPAs from Richmond.

You're a gentleman and a scholar, sir, no matter what OZZIE might say about you.

16. Triple Crossing Mosaic Triangles
    ABV: 6%
    The verdict: It’s safe to say that Triple Crossing opened some eyes and made lifelong fans among the Paste staff when not one but two of their beers ended up in the top 5 of our blind tasting of 176 DIPAs. It was one of the most impressive single performances in any Paste blind tasting, and made it only more clear that Richmond, VA is home to some of the best hoppy breweries in the world. For single IPA, Triple Crossing turned to two variations of their intensely dry-hopped “Triangles” series, and although we enjoyed the Citra version, it was the Mosaic Triangles that really spoke to us. As in a few other Mosaic beers in this tasting, it was the greener, danker side of the hop varietal that emerged—or perhaps that was just a factor of what seemed like an outrageous amount of hops. Regardless, this one hits on the nose with a big, perfumey burst of resin, pine needles, grass and grapefruit. Intensely hoppy, with a nose that is immediately distinct, it inspired one taster to write “Woah, huge hops, intensely grassy but actually in a good way.” Another taster in the finals picked up more on the fruity side of the beer, writing the following: “Peach into pineapple into green papaya.” Regardless, there’s no lack of character in this one.

OK, so another here that I'll secure. Visited them before they opened with my would-be brewery designer, he did theirs.
    Holy cow! This is great. When we return to NC, I'll have to print an extra round of Franklins to pay for your delivery.

12. Final Gravity Brewing Co. The Doppler Effect
    ABV: 7%
    The verdict: But really—what’s going on in Richmond, Virginia in terms of its absolute wealth of killer IPA breweries? How did so many of them end up in a city that barely scrapes into the 100 largest in the U.S.A.? We don’t know the answer to that question, but we do know that Final Gravity’s The Doppler Effect is yet another superlative NE-IPA from a town that is absolutely full of them. This one hits with BIG citrus hop aromatics, giving it one of the best noses of all the finalists—lemon, grapefruit and orange are all well represented. From one score sheet: “Perfumey, bright lemon and grapefruit, really crisp for a hazy IPA.” From another: “Massive citrus and tropical fruity nose, into big resin, spicy.” This is a beer that has already won a couple of blind tasting awards among Richmond IPA’s, and we can see why. Even in a particularly crowded, particularly brilliant marketplace, Final Gravity has found a way to stand out.

So Tony has 2 in the top 50. You folks within a 4 or so hours drive of here need to make some plans to visit. Seriously!!
    I found that pretty amazing about 3 Richmond IPAs in the top 50. I'll make some more room in the beer fridge for your delivery. Remember, first tailgate at WW this year is Friday, August 31 at 7PM for the Army game...

10 Hop IIPA (draft)-Rogue Ales

More local! And a very recent limited local/regional release, starting in May.

Two ounce sample before I had my dessert beer.

Fourth (?) in their series of multi-hop beers, this hop/booze bomb was quite sippable. Pour was a light, orange-amber with a small head. Nose mostly of citrus with a few tropical notes. Pretty complex tasting profile with orange liqueur, pineapple, mango and honey all prominent and highly flavorful. I don't think Rogue used to do this but their website provides IBU #s (75) and ABV (10.1%) so even my small taster lasted about 10 minutes . Here's the ingredient list:

"Ingredients: Rogue Farms Dare™ & Weyermann Pils Malts; Rogue Farms Liberty, Newport, Revolution, Independent, Freedom, Rebel, Yaquina, Alluvial, Adair, & Keven Hops; Pacific Ale Yeast, Pacman Yeast, & Free Range Coastal Water."

The beer story:

"Dedicated to Farmers & Fermenters. In a bold collaboration with Mother Nature, we grow our own varieties of aroma hops at Rogue Farms in Independence, OR. We also string, stake, train, test, trim, separate, sort, kiln and cool them. Brewmaster John Maier meticulously selected and blended 10 varieties of our aroma hops to create this behemoth of an IPA, the pinnacle of the Rogue Hop experience."

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I know we've got some beer-o-philes on the board, and we're now deep into the drink-beer, watch-sports fall season. So, question to the group --

What's your favorite beer, for what event/food/occasion?

I tried out Moose Drool's brown ale yesterday, at a barbeque where the MLB playoffs were on in the background. It was a nice beer, a bit heavy for the ribs, though. The Black Butte porter went well with the brownies later on.

Fat Tire is our 'household' standard, and tastes great after a day on the slopes while recovering in the hottub.

Busch Light will always hold a special place in my heart (if not my palate) and I usually trend towards the light stuff during Duke bball games.
    Worth quoting the original post in this thread. Thanks again, DA!

However, this post is a bit different.

Black Butte XXX (draft)-Deschutes Brewery

Drink local!

Apparently, this was released on 6/27 to most locations that carry their Reserve Series to celebrate the 30th anniversary of brewing Black Butte Porter, so, to find this as a guest draft at a small brewery in a small strip mall that is 0.9 miles from our hotel, I think is rather amazing. Bet this never makes it to the Roanoke distribution center/area.

This 10 ounce pour (not cheap at $8, but it was my dessert and lasted about 45 minutes) was in a snifter and was opaque and almost black with a thin, mocha head. Seductive scents of dark chocolate, dark caramel and dark, dried fruits. Palate perceptions are the same along with some black strap molasses, oak, burnt coconut and a lot of booze, though I can't pick out which ones as they used eight different varieties of oak barrels. Forget any foods/desserts with this porter as it was so decadent and really resembled an imperial stout and not a porter. IBUs were 40 and the ABV is a stunning 13.6% and thoroughly dangerous. The ingredients:

Malt: 2-row, wh*at, C-75, Chocolate, Midnight Wh*at
    Hops: Millenium, Cascade, Tettnang

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Same here. We need to get out more, though I don't think any of the remainder of those brews are available in our zip codes. Someone here posted they had tasted the Lagunitas Cherry Jane, IIRC. Luburch? Thedukelamere?
    Unfortunately have not had the Cherry Jane. I've visited Lagunitas, but I don't remember seeing it on tap at the brewery either.

I have had the Dogfish Head Namaste White and the Weihenstephan/Sierra Nevada Braupakt from that list. Thoroughly enjoyed both.

Had Cherry Jane on the 4th... Was so tasty that I quickly drank 3 of them before the tart overwhelmed me. 9/10, will buy again (but will space out my enjoyment next time).

Beer & BBQ pairings

Not sure if this gem belongs here, or in Duke v. Kentucky thread, or both. But I'll leave it right here.

Fullsteam gets a shout-out.

Now I'm hungry & thirsty . . . . . !
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Not sure if this gem belongs here, or in Duke v. Kentucky thread, or both. But I'll leave it right here.

Windy City Smokeout, Taste of Chicago, Pokemon Go Fest... You couldn't pay me enough to drive through downtown Chicago this weekend.*

*Would do for free beer*

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post

I'll vouch for Old Irving Brewing Company in Chicago. Went there on our March trip to Chicago and found my flight to be excellent.

Carver is an interesting choice w/BBQ and a good one. Fullsteam also brews Hogwash, a smoked imperial porter that tastes like "pork/bacon in a glass." I think the 8% ABV feature is new as I seem to recall having a 5-6% ABV version but it's been several years. It appears to be draft only, too.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Windy City Smokeout, Taste of Chicago, Pokemon Go Fest... You couldn't pay me enough to drive through downtown Chicago this weekend.*

*Would do for free beer*
    You can't pay me enough to want to drive through Chicago any weekend or weekday (unless it's returning from Kenosha with a couple cases of assorted New Glarus brews like we did about 6 weeks ago ).

In September, I hope to have our daughter or her husband chauffeur us around for the usual "I'll pick up the check" deal.

I very much appreciate the location of Ardent brewery to the ZZQ Barbeque restaurant here in Scott's Addition in Richmond. Someone really got smart and built the restaurant backing up to the brewery. So you can order your 'que at the restaurant (with good sides like jalapeño mac and cheese, and good slaw), sit at the picnic tables near the exit and wait for your friends to join you with beers from Ardent...back to back with only a open gate between them. Really cool.

I recommend the Ardent honey ginger, barrel aged if they have it, good saison, and several ipa's.

Cut out a bit early and grabbed a flight from Sun King this afternoon.

A few standouts:

Coconut Bourbon Barrel Timmie - Smooth for 11.5%. The coconut is subtle, but pleasant. Notes of chocolate and cocoa as well.

Small Batch Number Stein - Truly a straightforward stein beer. Simple, but crisp and refreshing. Didn't expect much from this beer, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Small Batch Chance of Precipitation - An English mild ale. Relatively light with little bite. This beer was on the cusp of being outstanding, but just lacked a little...kick.

Also had a gin barrel-aged IPA. I've noticed several gin barrel beers from Sun King. Is this something common across the industry? I haven't seen it from any other breweries.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Cut out a bit early and grabbed a flight from Sun King this afternoon.

A few standouts:

Coconut Bourbon Barrel Timmie - Smooth for 11.5%. The coconut is subtle, but pleasant. Notes of chocolate and cocoa as well.

Small Batch Number Stein - Truly a straightforward stein beer. Simple, but crisp and refreshing. Didn't expect much from this beer, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Small Batch Chance of Precipitation - An English mild ale. Relatively light with little bite. This beer was on the cusp of being outstanding, but just lacked a little...kick.

Also had a gin barrel-aged IPA. I've noticed several gin barrel beers from Sun King. Is this something common across the industry? I haven't seen it from any other breweries.
    Gin barrel aging is not that common, AFAIK. I can think of Anderson Valley's Gin and Tonic Gose (aged or brewed with juniper berries?), and New Holland's Haute Route.

Gin barrel aging is not that common, AFAIK. I can think of Anderson Valley's Gin and Tonic Gose (aged or brewed with juniper berries?), and New Holland's Haute Route.
    I did some internet and thread searching and could not find any notes.

I am certain I have had a few gin barrel aged beers. If memory serves, saison, blonde and belgian bases.

I’m not a gin enthusiast, so I can’t say I had a grand appreciation for them (not that I recall any being bad).

If DFH still makes Sah-Tea (sp?), that had juniper/gin flavour to it also. Sierra Nevada may have done a gin barrel trip in the woods beer.

I guess part of the rarity can be contributed to the fact that while it appears barrel aged gin is becoming popular, its not common or mainstream, so there cannot be a huge source for gin barrels to begin with.

Work sendoff party for some coworkers reminds me that I do enjoy Leinekugel’s Summer Shandy.

Not a great beer, certainly a fun beer.

And all but one of the New Glarus Stone Soup is now gone.

Thank goodness because the extra spicy Pei Wei for dinner tonight needed a bit of a fire extinguisher for my tongue.

I have to wonder, thinking about how excellent New Glarus beer is, if there is a way to distinguish beer quality.
    I’m not thinking RateBeer, or Beer Advocate, or Untappd.

Something like USDA prime, Angus, Wagyu does for beef- some sort of objective and not subjective measures. Taste is hard.

From 7/4/12:

Tricerahops-Ninkasi Brewing

Another great name to be added to the list of brew monikers. My son discovered this bomber in a grocery store in Portland when he interviewed out there in February. It is a double IPA (DIPA or IIPA) that pours a slightly cloudy yellow-orange with a moderate foamy head. The scents are pine and citrus and melted caramel and the potpourri of tastes match the aromas with a well balanced blend of malty sweetness and some citrus and peachy notes. (I thought citrus and he thought peaches as we shared the bomber last PM.) The high gravity of 8.8% ABV is deceptive and the hop blast of 100 IBU is not over-powering. Very solid night cap or beverage to serve with spicy and/or hot dishes. The brewery is in Eugene so I doubt I'll ever see this brew again Attachment 2695.

Attachment 2694
    So much for my predictive powers.

From last PM:

Tricerahops-Ninkasi Brewing

Item #3 from their 12 pack IPA sampler.

They've toned this down a bit with the IBUs now 84 and ABV at 8%. Both stats are still in the IIPA range but all the above still hold service and overall a bit more mild stage presence than 6 years ago. This was a a tad disappointing based on the brewery's reputation and my distant memories of that tasting .

F-Bomb (draft)-Stickmen Brewing Company

I swear I don't make up these names .

More local!

I can't think of a better way to start my flight tonight than dropping the F-Bomb .

Pour was actually a 2 ounce taster before the actual flight and was a light gold with a small head. Nose of citrus and pine with similar flavors plus a bit of rind and peach.
    This sits on the IPA/IIPA border with IBUs or 75 and ABV of 7%. At any other time, I'd have added two $5 bombers to the dinner tab and packed them in the car but got scared trying to figure out how I'd get them safely/securely in checked bags without having any ski boots with us on this trip .