Page 758 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 25865870874875675775875976076880885812581758 ... LastLast
Results 15,141 to 15,160 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    All The Breakfast-Wolf's Ridge Brewing

Imperial breakfast style cream ale .

Not sure I've ever seen a designation like that before.

I divided a Christmas present bomber over two nights. Pour was a clear gold color with a modest head. Nose of coffee and table/maple syrup. I swear I can almost taste the cream . Lots of coffee on the nose along with "an obscene amount of Ohio maple syrup." Here are the rest of the ingredients mentioned on the label with no ability to verify from their website:

Barley: check; it's beer, dummy
    Oats: sure, why not
    Corn: wait, this isn't a Dogfish Head brew
    Rice: wait, did ABInBev have some input here?
    Smoked malt: well, maybe
    Orange peel: look at the name, silly
    Lactose sugar: I knew there was cream in this beer
    Ohio maple syrup: perhaps not so obscene after all
    Cacao nibs: maybe a hint of chocolate
    Cinnamon: whoa, did Southern Tier slip into this brewery, too
    Toasted coconut: hmm, not sure about this one
    Vanilla bean: guess it's good with the cinnamon and...
    One Line coffee: I knew coffee was in here somewhere

I'll guess IBUs about 30 based on my palate and the style. ABV was a stunning 10.7%, another reason to divided the 22 ounces over 2 nights. This was a Christmas gift from son of devildeac. Yea, he and his wife will get another invite this Christmas. This was a pretty amazing concoction.
    I forgot to mention that about the only things missing from this ale were pancakes and some scrapple .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Good to know regarding Land-Grant; my company has an office in Columbus so I'll be out that way 2-3 times between now and the end of the year. I'll definitely check them out and report my findings back to the class.

We'll be sure to get one of the Ymm, Beer secretaries to assign a grade and be sure you get your 3 credit hours for your report.

Wise Man experimenting with barrel aging

So, experimentation and collaboration is one of the things I love most about the blossoming craft beer industry. Take this, for example, from Wise Man's Instagram feed:

Barrel-aging beer is something we really care about here at Wise Man, but have you ever heard of barrel-aging coffee beans? We recently decided to take a departure from the norm and do just that in an experimental collaboration with @krankiescafe . A little over a month ago, we put about 150 lbs of green, or unroasted, Colombian Peaberry (Peebies) beans into an empty Tawny Port barrel to absorb the remaining aromas and flavors. We felt that the nutty and rich flavors of caramelized figs, dates and prunes from the Tawny Port would meld beautifully with the Peebies beans. After a nice rest in the barrel, Krankies will dry and roast the beans, and we’ll incorporate a portion of them into a beer we’re brewing especially for the occasion. The remaining coffee beans will be sold at Krankies and in the Wise Man taproom.
    Sounds fascinating!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    So, experimentation and collaboration is one of the things I love most about the blossoming craft beer industry. Take this, for example, from Wise Man's Instagram feed:

Sounds fascinating!
    Having experimented with barrel aged coffee beans ( purchasing and grinding, not creating), I hope others will benefit from what I have learned.

I generally grind coarse and at a lower temperature (175) for my drip aeropress coffee.

This is a terrible, TERRIBLE way to use barrel aged beans- I have “yechh coffee” ‘ d my way through Hotbox Roasters Bourbon and Tequila aged beans (to be honest not sure anything would have saved the tequila aged beans) to most recently port barrel aged beans from Just Coffee Coop (another fine Wisconsin product).

The key (for me) was:
    Extra fine espresso grind
    A minute long rest for the initial wetting of the grounds
    Water temperature of 200

Otherwise, the coffee smelled and tastes like wood alcohol (and not in a good way).

Hope this helps others not waste money and (debateably) good coffee.

Had a fantastic beer Wednesday during our weekly trivia game. Professional Lover - by The Tap. Believe they classified it as a Fruit White Stout. Slight raspberry flavor. Extremely smooth. Will likely get another glass next week.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Had a fantastic beer Wednesday during our weekly trivia game. Professional Lover - by The Tap. Believe they classified it as a Fruit White Stout. Slight raspberry flavor. Extremely smooth. Will likely get another glass next week.

Ahh, another brewery for me to discover on our next trip to Indy.

The movie Three Billboards outside Ebbings, Missouri is really a movie about beer.

Filmed in Sylva, NC.

If you pay close attention you will see both Wicked Weed Napoleon Complex and Duck Rabbit.

Catawba Hopness Monster is always good. Especially when Catawba beers are $3.50 at the neighborhood bar.

Also heard Carawba Peanut Butter Jelly Time is out. Always a beer to seek out.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    The movie Three Billboards outside Ebbings, Missouri is really a movie about beer.

Filmed in Sylva, NC.

If you pay close attention you will see both Wicked Weed Napoleon Complex and Duck Rabbit.
    I remember seeing Pisgah Brewing cameos in the newest Dumb and Dumber movie.

Schlafy Kentucky Mule. Inspired by the cocktail of the same name. Brewed with lime juice, ginger and bourbon barrel chips. 8% abv, 30 ibu's, magnum hops. A little sweet, taste the ginger and a little of the lime, but it lacks the warmth of a real bourbon barrel aged ales. Not sure what "aged on bourbon barrel chips" means. It's good, but pales in comparison to the Ardent bourbon barrel aged honey ginger.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Schlafy Kentucky Mule. Inspired by the cocktail of the same name. Brewed with lime juice, ginger and bourbon barrel chips. 8% abv, 30 ibu's, magnum hops. A little sweet, taste the ginger and a little of the lime, but it lacks the warmth of a real bourbon barrel aged ales. Not sure what "aged on bourbon barrel chips" means. It's good, but pales in comparison to the Ardent bourbon barrel aged honey ginger.
    I'd wager there are many, many other beers that fall into that category. That beer was superb.

Somebody hoist an ale or three for me tonight as I'm on call with no alcohol.

Somebody hoist an ale or three for me tonight as I'm on call with no alcohol.
    Went with a re-try of Mezzanote porter from Aviator. Like Duke’s second half, I liked this much better than the first time around. Nice and smooth.

Went with a re-try of Mezzanote porter from Aviator. Like Duke’s second half, I liked this much better than the first time around. Nice and smooth.
    We will give you an assist on the victory.

We will give you an assist on the victory.
    Nah. All the assists belong to Trevon Duval.

Nah. All the assists belong to Trevon Duval.
    And no turnovers. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Weekend on call. Sorry. Will crank up the beer engine again tonight.

Still waiting for mattman to regain consciousness and post his 40-50 reviews from his beer festival this past weekend and pad his post count.

Well, devildeac, I think I made up for at least some of the beers you missed this weekend. Stayed with a friend of mine in Louisville and had the pleasure of trying 15 new beers.

The ones that stood out:

Double O - Brew Link Brewing - A milk stout brewed with actual Oreos. Brew Link is actually located in Plainfield, a suburb of Indianapolis, and I brought a 4-pack with me on the way down. Double O was sweet without being overpowering and the Oreo flavor actually came through.

Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Craft Brewery - I've heard many things about this beer. Finally gout around to trying a bottle this weekend. Impressive beer and interesting backstory.

Gimmie S'more - Apocalypse Brew Works - Dunkelweizen. A beer that Apocalypse brewed specifically for some beer festival. The S'mores flavor profile wasn't as well executed as the Oreos in Double O, but still a quality beverage.

NE Time - Akasha Brewing Company - New England IPA. Just a solid New England IPA.

Redecorator - Mile Wide Beer Company - Doppelbock. My favorite from the four beers I tried at Mile Wide, but all were solid choices.

I have a milkshake IPA from Brew Link I'll probably get around to drinking this weekend. I was thrilled to knock off three new (to me) Louisville breweries.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Well, devildeac, I think I made up for at least some of the beers you missed this weekend. Stayed with a friend of mine in Louisville and had the pleasure of trying 15 new beers.

The ones that stood out:

Double O - Brew Link Brewing - A milk stout brewed with actual Oreos. Brew Link is actually located in Plainfield, a suburb of Indianapolis, and I brought a 4-pack with me on the way down. Double O was sweet without being overpowering and the Oreo flavor actually came through.

Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Craft Brewery - I've heard many things about this beer. Finally gout around to trying a bottle this weekend. Impressive beer and interesting backstory.

Gimmie S'more - Apocalypse Brew Works - Dunkelweizen. A beer that Apocalypse brewed specifically for some beer festival. The S'mores flavor profile wasn't as well executed as the Oreos in Double O, but still a quality beverage.

NE Time - Akasha Brewing Company - New England IPA. Just a solid New England IPA.

Redecorator - Mile Wide Beer Company - Doppelbock. My favorite from the four beers I tried at Mile Wide, but all were solid choices.

I have a milkshake IPA from Brew Link I'll probably get around to drinking this weekend. I was thrilled to knock off three new (to me) Louisville breweries.
    15 new beers. Impressive. Very impressive. Thanks for the reading info-all new to me except the DFH Midas Touch, a very fine/interesting concoction that I haven't had for several years. I'm debating my beverages for the evening/night after a weekend of work and a looooong office day today. Old stuff? New stuff? Flight/sampler? Decisions, decisions.

I think I'll make Founders Breakfast Stout my 1 seed tonight and Great Divide's Yeti my 2 seed, not really giving a hoot about their beeradvocate's RPI/SOS or any other dork/geek stats.