Page 7 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 5678917571075071007 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    As the late Justin Wilson said about wine, I think the same advice goes for beer. The best one is the one you like best.
    Unless you like Bud Light best. Then you're a moron.

ymmm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I know of no one outside of St. Louis/Southern Illinois who carries Schlafly's. As the pumpkin ale is a limited time brew, perhaps we need to see folks at UMSL & WashU.

Solution: Road trip to see Throaty!

The Oatmeal Stout is wonderful on draught; it's very nice in bottle. Smooth in bottle... I dare say they brew it differently from the draught version. The APA is going to sell. Glad you enjoyed them (and still have a few to try)!

Any thoughts devildeac?

The success of Schlafly (and a massive/successful capital campaign) explains why WashU moved up on the US News & World Report college rankings!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    no tastings yet-they start tonight with reviews to follow every day or two.

beers

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Unless you like Bud Light best. Then you're a moron.
    ooohhh, you had better hope Ozzie does not read this post-them's fightin' words

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    ooohhh, you had better hope Ozzie does not read this post-them's fightin' words
    He wouldn't come to this thread look for discussion of Bud Light, since Bud Light is not beer. I think I'm safe.

ymm, beer

Schafly #15 review-a nice amber ale with a bit of a wheat taste and a bit of caramel. Smooth. I will have a Fat Tire tomorrow and compare the 2 amber ales. Up next, the Schafly Oatmeal Stout.

Schafly #15 review-a nice amber ale with a bit of a wheat taste and a bit of caramel. Smooth. I will have a Fat Tire tomorrow and compare the 2 amber ales. Up next, the Schafly Oatmeal Stout.
    Up next the chilling Breckenridge Vanilla Porter ... many thanks!

After the last few days of work, I believe I've earned it.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

Schafly's Oatmeal Stout-mild coffee-like flavor, smooth, dark brown color, not burned or bitter. I remember the draught from several years ago being more flavorful. A nice winter stout.

ymm, beer

Up next the chilling Breckenridge Vanilla Porter ... many thanks!

After the last few days of work, I believe I've earned it.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    don't drink it too chilled as the aroma and flavor are better enjoyed at 'cellar' temperature. (pause) so, whaddaya think?

don't drink it too chilled as the aroma and flavor are better enjoyed at 'cellar' temperature. (pause) so, whaddaya think?
    Precisely done with the temperature.

Not much vanilla in it. After swallowing was when I sensed it the most. That's when I could tell that vanilla had been there. Vanilla aftertaste... YUMM!

Smooth porter taste, with a touch of bitter, good alcohol level, and a nice level of carbonation. I'm glad they didn't over-vanilla it, but they are probably not using the vanilla pods as they could.

All in all, a very NICE porter on a cold November night. Definitely one NOT to trade; it's definitely one to savor.

Thanks for the bottles!

Where does one find Breckenridge Brewery offerings in the stores?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Precisely done with the temperature.

Not much vanilla in it. After swallowing was when I sensed it the most. That's when I could tell that vanilla had been there. Vanilla aftertaste... YUMM!

Smooth porter taste, with a touch of bitter, good alcohol level, and a nice level of carbonation. I'm glad they didn't over-vanilla it, but they are probably not using the vanilla pods as they could.

All in all, a very NICE porter on a cold November night. Definitely one NOT to trade; it's definitely one to savor.

Thanks for the bottles!

Where does one find Breckenridge Brewery offerings in the stores?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Can't remember where you do your beer shopping/hunting so I would simply suggest you visit your local purveyor of fine hand-crafted ales and survey their aisles for the Breckenridge products. Unless you want to make another road trip even farther west this time beyond Throaty-land, way beyond the Arch.

Suggestion for EarlJam

Can't remember where you do your beer shopping/hunting so I would simply suggest you visit your local purveyor of fine hand-crafted ales and survey their aisles for the Breckenridge products. Unless you want to make another road trip even farther west this time beyond Throaty-land, way beyond the Arch.
    Perhaps we should pitch the idea to the Food Network: a pilot in which the host road trips for fine-crafted brews across the U.S.

Cheers and beers,
    Lavabe

Schlafly's got their winter ale in stores now.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Sweetwater's nice here, but Schlafly's on Nov. 21 unveils its Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout: "A roasty, rich and malty Imperial Stout with a strong dose of caramel, oak, and Bourbon character. " Then, on Dec. 7, they bring forth their Belgian Tripel.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Schafly's

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    When are you making a trip to NC? If you are making that journey any time in the next few months, buy some of their winter ale, deliver it and I will meet you in Durham(or wherever) with some of my hard-earned cash(and Lavabe's, too )

Schafly's

Sweetwater's nice here, but Schlafly's on Nov. 21 unveils its Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout: "A roasty, rich and malty Imperial Stout with a strong dose of caramel, oak, and Bourbon character. " Then, on Dec. 7, they bring forth their Belgian Tripel.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    When are you travelling to St. Louis again? Some time soon I hope. Those two brews sound delicious.

Fat Tire

I had forgotten one of the many reasons it was nice to ski the Rockies-Fat Tire apres ski. A medium-bodied amber ale with a bit of toasted caramel taste, not bitter, very smooth. Next up-New Belgium Black Ale.

Gotta throw out a vote for the Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Been drinking that lately, yum yum.

Sam Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Gotta throw out a vote for the Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Been drinking that lately, yum yum.
    Have not had one of those in several years. I think for a while it was released in NC in limited quantities. What do you like about it?(serious question, not a smarty pants one)

Perhaps we should pitch the idea to the Food Network: a pilot in which the host road trips for fine-crafted brews across the U.S.

Cheers and beers,
    Lavabe
    Beer Nutz is already using that theme, one of the HD channels--they visit breweries around the nation and rate them by barrels.

When are you making a trip to NC? If you are making that journey any time in the next few months, buy some of their winter ale, deliver it and I will meet you in Durham(or wherever) with some of my hard-earned cash(and Lavabe's, too )
    I'll be in Winston at Thanksgiving.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine